Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1283. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
Monero will have less coins from Litecoin
do you think we'll get much higher price than Litecoin
theoretically this should happen, but if it would work
I would be a curious what suggestions would you give for XMR/BTC price

Litecoin's value is irrelevant.

I do not agree!
many people currently invest only in BTC and LTC / I have ones friends /

Imagine if all that invest in LTC, start investing in the Monero .... from there can come a lot of money in the XMR economy

LTC Volume for 24h  $ 4,385,550
XMR Volume for 24h $ 38,458    

http://coinmarketcap.com/
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

What about all the coins in between?  One step at a time.  Litecoin's value is irrelevant.
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
long time no see Smiley It's a bit sad and surprised in me to see the price this low.

btw when will the DB blockchain be available on main network ?
legendary
Activity: 1120
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
Just to bump something I think many of us missed here:
Unique Ring Signatures

OOOOOOOO! --  Shocked
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
Just to bump something I think many of us missed here:
Unique Ring Signatures
Activity: 266

Can anonymous technologies (zero knowledge proofs or darkcoin's mixing or monero's ring signatures) be implemented usefully in bitcoin sidechains? Or would that compromise the anonymity? Do they need their own blockchain?

they can, but that would reduce the anonymity set and everybody could see that you've explicity put some coins in that anon chain and got them back - probably the same amounts.

I understand that the monero community believes ring signatures to be the best form of anonymity technology at present. Will will be able to overcome the problems of blockchain bloat? Does boolberrys' trimming and discarding of information to deal with this ruin the anonymity?

blockchain bloat is not a problem with monero... its a bigger than btc, yes. but dont forget how much a terybyte drive costs these days... and many households have 100mbit inernet connection.

as smooth said bbr trimming has its own problem. if i did understand him right its no longer possible for them to track every coin back to its mined block.

personally i think zerocoin/zerocash will have the best anonymity: if they ever manage to get it to work in a trustless and bloatless way (oh boy THEY have a bloated chain).

but atm cn-coins seems to be the only available anonymity coins

I also dislike the current website's design haha. This currency is all about the technology and has no marketing/hype; leading to a higher chance of being undervalued.

one of the main reasons i like monero...
its just not finished yet and there is a big opportunity as soon as marketing starts... i'd say thats what most speculators want...

Keep up the good work guys.

also from me Wink
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
Hey guys.
I'm a XMR long-term hodler.
Bought my first XMR before RP even Tongue

I really love the community and quality of people that are backing monero.
Just wanted to ask a few questions.

Can someone compare bitcoindark against monero for me?
Bitcoindark claim some kind of 'teleportation' technology that doesn't make much sense for me at the moment.

Can anonymous technologies (zero knowledge proofs or darkcoin's mixing or monero's ring signatures) be implemented usefully in bitcoin sidechains? Or would that compromise the anonymity? Do they need their own blockchain?

I understand that the monero community believes ring signatures to be the best form of anonymity technology at present. Will will be able to overcome the problems of blockchain bloat? Does boolberrys' trimming and discarding of information to deal with this ruin the anonymity?

I also dislike the current website's design haha. This currency is all about the technology and has no marketing/hype; leading to a higher chance of being undervalued.

Keep up the good work guys.

Activity: 462
Great work with the DB guys, thanks a lot!  Smiley
Feedbacks (both negative and positive) welcomed!

Hi,

The blockchain converter worked fine for me (at least the first 18k blocks). But it was taking ages on my (low end) laptop so I went with osensei's link.

I'm now running a monero node using less than 512MB of RAM. Grin
Beware, because soon you will not be able to run it.
You'll need 4GB of ram and some Dual-core processor (at least).
Also, SSD hard drive is a good option to have, as it will speed up the process.

Thanks but you misunderstood me. With the DB the daemon is using under half a giga of RAM.
legendary
Activity: 1092
I'm a Firestarter!

Hi,

The blockchain converter worked fine for me (at least the first 18k blocks). But it was taking ages on my (low end) laptop so I went with osensei's link.

Beware, because soon you will not be able to run it.
You'll need 4GB of ram and some Dual-core processor (at least).
Also, SSD hard drive is a good option to have, as it will speed up the process.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Activity: 350

Thanks a million! It worked.

I just typed save and then exit within simplewallet and then reopened it and it worked like normal. Refreshing now as normal.

Shoot me your monero address, I'll send over a little token of thanks.

Glad to hear it worked out of you!

My address is :
Code:
46FpUeqeL4WbtBDwxC4F82WAFPcejbqJFX8ad3mv71xUJwMohYtis9uePkpy8bs7PmeTHVHxfysR81JAKHojzywdDx5VWpu

Sent. Thanks again.

Shocked Shocked

Thanks!  Cheesy

Hi,

Activity: 275

Thanks a million! It worked.

I just typed save and then exit within simplewallet and then reopened it and it worked like normal. Refreshing now as normal.

Shoot me your monero address, I'll send over a little token of thanks.

Glad to hear it worked out of you!

My address is :
Code:
46FpUeqeL4WbtBDwxC4F82WAFPcejbqJFX8ad3mv71xUJwMohYtis9uePkpy8bs7PmeTHVHxfysR81JAKHojzywdDx5VWpu

Sent. Thanks again.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Updated version. Step 5, 6 should be temporary and 7 should eventually not need sudo.

This tutorial requires using the terminal and is for an Ubuntu-based Linux (it requires ppa, so won't work with other Debian-based).

1. If no previous non-DB version of Monero exists on this machine, install monero and choose option 1 then y (this is just for installing the dependancies) - download the blockchain (long)
Code:
cd ~ && rm -f install_monero.sh && wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Quanttek/install_monero/master/install_monero.sh && bash install_monero.sh
2. Close bitmonero and simplewallet
3. Run this command. It will install liblmdb-dev and libunbound-dev and grab only the code you need (a variant of the code on a different directory, so it won't delete your working monero)
Code:
sudo apt-get install libunbound-dev liblmdb-dev && mkdir -p ~/bitmonero-testing && cd ~/bitmonero-testing && rm -rf bitmonero && git clone https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero.git --branch blockchain --depth 1
4. compile
Code:
cd ~/bitmonero-testing/bitmonero && make
5. back up your blockchain
Code:
cp ~/.bitmonero/blockchain.bin ~/.bitmonero/blockchain.bin-backup
7. [WORKAROUND] create /home/user/.bitmonero (no need to be an user, just the folder)
Code:
sudo mkdir /home/user/ && sudo mkdir /home/user/.bitmonero
8. [WORKAROUND] copy the blockchain here
Code:
sudo cp ~/.bitmonero/blockchain.bin /home/user/.bitmonero/blockchain.bin
9. Convert the blockchain with the new aptly-named "blockchain_converter"
Code:
cd ~/bitmonero-testing/bitmonero/build/release/src && sudo ./blockchain_converter
10. Wait several dozen of minutes - you won't see anything, that's normal. If you want to check it is actually converting, open a new terminal and type top. The blockchain_conv process shall be consistently on top.
11. Start daemon and wallet, try some small transactions. Check the CPU and RAM also Smiley
Code:
Code:
free -h

Use testnet, not mainnet. Better safe than sorry.

Also, I have this issue so I can't go any further:
Code:
sudo ./blockchain_converter
block 0/364155 (0%)
Error adding block to new blockchain: std::exception
Monero Core Team
Running things with sudo is bad habit. You should minimize root usage to minimum required, specially with cryptocurrencies related software.

Replace 7. with:
Code:
sudo mkdir /home/user/ && sudo chown : /home/user/ && mkdir /home/user/.bitmonero
Then don't use sudo in any of the remaining steps.

[...]

Thank you. Ideally, Quanttek will update his script and the /home/user part will be fixed so this won't be necessary anymore. Plus, I expect much people to just copy-and-paste, so as long as the command I give are sane, that should be OK.
That being said, you point about minimising the use of sudo is one to remember.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Running things with sudo is bad habit. You should minimize root usage to minimum required, specially with cryptocurrencies related software.

Replace 7. with:
Code:
sudo mkdir /home/user/ && sudo chown : /home/user/ && mkdir /home/user/.bitmonero
Then don't use sudo in any of the remaining steps.

[...]
Monero Core Team
Has anyone here either had the thought to do, or has accomplished steganographic wallet files?f
Telestic steganography. Don't even need a file Smiley
  • Telestic steganography: get your mnemonic seed, place each word at the end (telestic, opposite of acrostic) of a line of text that makes sense and that's all. Pretend it is a poem you wrote. Have several copies.
  • Evolution 1 ("Purloined Letter"/"hide in plain sight" version): use a nice design for your sheet, frame it, hang it on the wall.
  • Evolution 2 (Rubberhose cryptography-proof): have a more regular wallet (with file and password) with a substantial amount of XMR in it that you are willing to sacrifice if needed to.

Tacotime, smooth or whoever is in charge of running the monero.cc website. Would you like me to help making it look a little more aesthetically appealing? I can't develop wallet code or anything, but I can make some website improvements.
The design is ready for quite some time (and, no, I won't give you the URL of the new website Smiley) We just need to add more content first

Can somebody here give the pros and the cons of Monero.  Darkcoin vs Monero please.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8477489 For the pros.
For the cons: hard to use at the moment + require long-term thinking

I have a Monero wallet with private key, but I do not want to wait for bitmonerod to sync.

Is there any web-wallet or similar where I can import the private key?
Not yet but in the work and pretty well advanced.
Monero Core Team
This guide is for Unix (tested on Ubuntu) and assumes you have git installed as well as a lot of RAM (I tested on a 4GB laptop with SSD). Feedbacks (both negative and positive) welcomed!

0. Close bitmonerod and simplewallet
1. Install liblmdb-dev and libunbound-dev
Code:
sudo apt install liblmdb-dev libunbound-dev
2. Clone Thomas Winget's Monero branch
Code:
cd ~ && git clone git://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero
3. Move to the right branch, "blockchain"
Code:
cd bitmonero && git checkout blockchain
4. Replace any occurence of /home/user with /home/(your login) - you should have three
Code:
nano ~/bitmonero/src/blockchain_converter/blockchain_converter.cpp
(ctrl+x then y to save)
5. compile
Code:
make
6. back up your blockchain
Code:
cp ~/.bitmonero/blockchain.bin ~/.bitmonero/blockchain.bin-backup
7. [WORKAROUND] create /home/user/.bitmonero (no need to be an user, just the folder)
Code:
sudo mkdir /home/user/ && sudo mkdir /home/user/.bitmonero
8. [WORKAROUND] copy the blockchain here
Code:
sudo cp ~/.bitmonero/blockchain.bin /home/user/.bitmonero/blockchain.bin
9. Convert the blockchain with the new aptly-named "blockchain_converter"
Code:
cd ~/bitmonero/build/release/src  && sudo ./blockchain_converter
10. Wait several dozen of minutes.
11. Start daemon and wallet, try some small transaction. Check the CPU and RAM also Smiley
Code:
Code:
free -h
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
I have a Monero wallet with private key, but I do not want to wait for bitmonerod to sync.

Is there any web-wallet or similar where I can import the private key?

Currently there is no webwallet avaible yet, but there are rumours that one is comming soon. This is just rumours and not confirmed unfortunately.
Jump to: