Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1319. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Did everyone come to some sort of agreement?

No. More like everyone had a different opinion.

So you decided to leave things the way they are?

How about a http://strawpoll.me/
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131

Hey what if we make a Monero movie like "The rise and rise of Bitcoin" ?

Something simple like the devs working and explaining what they are doing with human understandable sentences and Monero supporters explaining their vision and ideas and also some miners building crazy big rigs.

so its monero a good coin to mine ?
i have a fx  6300 and gt 430.I can have almost 500/h/s
Where can i exchange my monero? or is it good to stay in my wallet till it increases
Right now I would mine Dashcoin right now (most profitable cryptonote coin), and you can trade Dashcoin for Monero on Poloniex like I'm doing. Check out minergate.com. Its really easy to setup and good for beginners. The GUI miner they have will work for your GPU too. Selling your Monero for BTC isn't really good right now though, since there are already too many people selling Monero causing the price to decrease. But you're free to do what you like.

I thought DSH was delisted from Poloniex.
Maybe, but there is still a DSH/XMR market. Dashcoin actually has the most volume in the XMR markets.
https://poloniex.com/exchange/xmr_dsh
Activity: 462
Where can i exchange my monero? or is it good to stay in my wallet till it increases
Right now I would mine Dashcoin right now (most profitable cryptonote coin), and you can trade Dashcoin for Monero on Poloniex like I'm doing. Check out minergate.com. Its really easy to setup and good for beginners. The GUI miner they have will work for your GPU too. Selling your Monero for BTC isn't really good right now though, since there are already too many people selling Monero causing the price to decrease. But you're free to do what you like.

I thought DSH was delisted from Poloniex.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Did everyone come to some sort of agreement?

No. More like everyone had a different opinion.
yea minergate ........
calculations are wrong
How so? Minergate has been fairly reliable for me to calculate profits of mining. I've been using it ever since it launched.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
yea minergate ........
calculations are wrong
So who here thinks that the emission rate of Monero should be reduced? (Emission rate = The amount of Monero rewarded to Miners per day)

As far as I can tell there would be two likely outcomes, one positive and one negative:

Positive: solve the issue of overwhelming sell pressure (which would most probably lead to higher/stable prices also less fear and doubt)

Negative: miners would get angry about the mining rewards being lowered

It's recently been discussed IIT, a few weeks back.  Sorry I can't link you to it but I'm sure you can find it.

Crap, I guess I missed it. Do you remember what the conclusion was? Did everyone come to some sort of agreement?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
So who here thinks that the emission rate of Monero should be reduced? (Emission rate = The amount of Monero rewarded to Miners per day)

As far as I can tell there would be two likely outcomes, one positive and one negative:

Positive: solve the issue of overwhelming sell pressure (which would most probably lead to higher/stable prices also less fear and doubt)

It's recently been discussed IIT, a few weeks back.  Sorry I can't link you to it but I'm sure you can find it.
burnbabyburn71

actualy is the same
500 hs
in a day are mined
778.000 dsh == 0,57 xmr
on xmr in a day
so you are wrong
I just did the calculation on Minergate and

500h/s = 0.48573 XMR a day

or 500h/s = 751,408 DSH a day (751,408 DSH = 0.55604192 XMR)

Dashcoin is therefore 14.5% more profitable

Although that's still not really profitable at all, I can't believe how unprofitable mining is these days.

Activity: 109
Merit: 10
burnbabyburn71

actualy is the same
500 hs
in a day are mined
778.000 dsh == 0,57 xmr
on xmr in a day
so you are wrong
Activity: 65
Merit: 0
i have a fx  6300 and gt 430.I can have almost 500/h/s
legendary

I'm pretty sure there is a forum rule against pool advertisements. Not sure if one announcement for new pools is allowed, that might be the case.
legendary
(1) enthusiasts and benefactors can mine on their CPUs and GPUs (they never mine at profitability, they gain utility from securing the network at a loss)

This isn't even true. I estimated the break even for CPU mining on a conventional desktop CPU at about 0.09 USD/kwh a few days ago, and lower higher on some more power-efficient CPUs. The numbers might be a bit different now, I'm not sure. That exists for many people at least in cheaper US markets and probably some other markets, and certainly exists for anyone using electric space heaters (which makes the effective rate 0/kwh)

GPUs are somewhat more power efficient than CPUs, so the break even electricity rate is higher, though the opportunity cost of mining something else on the GPUs may also be higher (I'm not sure since I'm not involved in that right now).

EDIT:

These profit margins leave little room for recovering capital costs, which as xulescu points out is exactly where we want to be, because it precludes building big dedicated mining farms. You can mine slightly profitably or at a small loss using equipment you already own for some other purpose, but there is little to no incentive to scale up.

Although the Cryptonote group seems to be scammers that I despise, I still applaud the ingenuity of the designers having achieved something that is quite unique and remarkable in the mining space.
Activity: 263
Here is my take on the Botnet Argument. I generally agree with smooth and iCEBREAKER.

I believe botnets are healthy for Monero and represent a desirable balancing factor in the whole network security and coin distribution incentives debate.

The security argument is that botnets make the network antifragile. From the point of view of the network, there are more entities and more CPUs doing PoW. From the very beginning Monero attempted to be a CPU-only coin ("one CPU one vote") and largely managed to do so. It is currently at the point where (1) enthusiasts and benefactors can mine on their CPUs and GPUs (they never mine at profitability, they gain utility from securing the network at a loss), where (2) unsecured computers can mine for botnet operators with about 5-20x lower hash rate per unit, and where (3) professional mining enterprise is crowded out by the first two groups.

Botnets effectively externalize part of the network security to the owners of the unsecured computers. They gain by learning the hard way (and would have been infected by some botnet at some point anyway). The network gains by using their computers. The internet at large becomes more secure. The only party that is losing are the professional miners. They can't just throw more money at Monero to get even more money back. Thus all the network is mined by parties that are, financially, at a loss. I believe this is a very healthy place to be, because it doesn't encourage the race to the bottom ("mining wars") in the hands of a few professional miners (I'm not saying is stops the race, but doesn't further encourage it. It's a balancing factor). Moreover, botnets are not zero-cost either and, because of everyone's incentives to keep botnets away, they cannot scale as well as professional mining. Thus, the network is more decentralized than in their absence. A final point to make here is that whether botnets should or should not be stopped is a normative matter, and therefore subject to moral judgements. I think we should reason about incentives and not necessarily morals.

The coin distribution argument is that it doesn't matter who does the mining, since the emission rate is the same anyway. At the same time, it does matter who sells the mining output. This is a market that can be cornered; indeed, that's exactly what a pump and dump implies. Given that botnets decentralize the sellers of mining output compared to professional miners, the Monero emission is harder to corner and harder to pump and dump. This is also a healthy place to be.

TL;DR: Botnets make the network more secure and keep professional miners out. This way, the Monero emission market is harder to corner and harder to pump and dump. The downside is that the ride will be more painful. This is also a good thing.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
vapid scamcoin chipmunk
Activity: 833
Merit: 1001
i normally don't respond to trolls because these scamcoin pump and dump shills ain't worth my time, especially when they pretend to be asking shrink wrapped questions that actually carry own agenda... so i agree wholeheartedly with what iCEBREAKER said earlier as these are exactly my thoughts as well and applies to all paid or unpaid trolls...

I hope you're not directing that towards me because I haven't been throwing tantrums or making demands.  I am just stating what I believe to be the truth.  I also wonder why you would want people to leave when the best thing for Monero is MORE people adopting it and hanging onto it.  

If someone wants to whine and cry about the price they have every right to do so.  If you want to call them names and tell them to leave that's your right as well.  In the end however, a few large holders of this coin will never be enough for it to be successful.  So insulting and telling people to leave Monero is the worst thing you could do.  I saw this happen with Darkcoin where a few large holders became extremely arrogant and alienated a large portion of the people that wanted to support the coin.  I see this now happening with Monero where a few large holders think that the coin belongs to them and that others are deemed to be parasites for questioning their all knowing wisdom about things that nobody knows what the outcome will be.

It seems that a few people decided that they could take their wealth and just turn Monero into the next bitcoin.  The only way that will ever happen is by attracting supporters of this coin not alienating them.  Even then it's a long shot at best.  But best of luck with your method of attracting people to Monero.  Calling people parasites doesn't seem to be the best method however.

It was obviously directed at your FUD, most specifically these threats and ultimatums:

If any cryptocurrency wants to be around in three years then it needs to offer something people want and it needs to offer it now.  If it doesn't it won't be around in three years, monero included.

Telling people it might take three years is like shooting yourself in the foot.  People aren't going to do that.  They are already losing patience
 as proven by the recent selling.  People want results now.  That's just a fact of life.  

The sooner the impatient and panicky weak hands sell to patient and wiser hloders the better it is for Monero, for at least two reasons.
One, the strong hands tamp down volatility, invest in the dev team, and build out the platform.  Two, the weak panicky hands will have to buy back at a higher price, which rewards forbearance.

Your comparison of XMR to DRK is invalid because the former is 100% legit while the latter is a scamcoin (complete with MadoffNodes).

It seems I struck a nerve, as you chose to respond with yet more FUD, threats, and ultimatums.  The pump-and-dump crowd you speak on behalf of and defend do have a niche in the market ecosystem, as do parasites in biology (they increase host resilience and complexity).   Cheesy
legendary
If you are mining XMR on a pool, please take a look at

backup-pool.com

and

cryptonotepool.org.uk

Both are smaller pools (good for decentralization!) that are donating their low 1% fee to the project donation address.

This is not meant to disparage any other pools, many of the other pools are great as well, but I know these guys have worked hard to support the project so we encourage you to support them as well.

More information about both is available on the OP: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449
Jump to: