Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1422. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Has the attack started? Hash rate is 25MH/s, while the price is 0.0028x

There was a huge volume spike with price movement down over at Poloniex about an hour ago. 33265 Moneros sold within a minute for ~95 bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
I like it but it seems to imply the sort of traditional model of a company providing a service instead of a decentralized network. Who is this "our"? There is no "us" or "we". You might might make some nuanced arguments about devs having too much control or something but atleast from a marketing standpoint you definitely dont want to even hint at there being a point of centralization, which a word like "our" does in this context. Perhaps just write it from the perspective of the person reading it. So that it comes of as them having some sort of stake in the movement. I might consider changing it to something like

"Because my business shouldn't be any of your business"

Not necessarily that specifically, thats just to illustrate the general idea that im alluding to.  Please consider it.

No no, you've misunderstood the implication. The implication is that your business shouldn't be 's business. That's why the image is meant to at least somewhat resemble that of a generic TLA.

Oh because its like the nsa is saying it. "because your business shouldn't be any of our business" -NSA. Like that. For example. I get it now but it was a little confusing to dumb people like me. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
I also like the logo, but why does it have the BTC under the _M_ ?

Was just a bit of tongue in cheek putting Monero on top of Bitcoin, not meant as anything but a poke in the ribs for Bitcoin;)

Thought it was Bitcoin flying us to the Monero moon-- 
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Has the attack started? Hash rate is 25MH/s, while the price is 0.0028x
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

Was just a bit of tongue in cheek putting Monero on top of Bitcoin, not meant as anything but a poke in the ribs for Bitcoin;)
donator
I like it but it seems to imply the sort of traditional model of a company providing a service instead of a decentralized network. Who is this "our"? There is no "us" or "we". You might might make some nuanced arguments about devs having too much control or something but atleast from a marketing standpoint you definitely dont want to even hint at there being a point of centralization, which a word like "our" does in this context. Perhaps just write it from the perspective of the person reading it. So that it comes of as them having some sort of stake in the movement. I might consider changing it to something like

Not necessarily that specifically, thats just to illustrate the general idea that im alluding to.  Please consider it.

No no, you've misunderstood the implication. The implication is that your business shouldn't be 's business. That's why the image is meant to at least somewhat resemble that of a generic TLA.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Maybe Monero builds on Bitcoin?

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
I really like the logo.

Anon136 does make a good point, though.

Maybe: Secure. Private. Untraceable.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
The Monero logo on the merchandising stuff is really well done, its everything about what Monero is:

congratulations.

Activity: 149
Merit: 100
There appears to be negotiations between TFM and the Monero Devs for an exploit found.

This seems to be a good opportunity for a reminder that we should donate more (if you haven't already) to the Monero Dev fund.
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
Might be good for someone to compare XMR price development over the two days to other altcoins. Might well be that the effect of FUD is not even existent...

Quick scan: Over that period the range of LTC was 2.5%,  XMR 13.6%, BBR 27.4%, XCN 34.5%, and all are within 10% of the range closest to their lows over the period.

What I see is that PoW non-app coins (pure currencies) generally, whether CN or BTC based, have declined in degree best indicated by their market cap.

My intuition:  There is no FUD effect.  It is pure imagination.  The price is down because bitcoin.  

My conjecture is that hot money is flowing out of bitcoin into US stocks (BABA) and GBP bets.  This is ADHD money we're talking about.  I give it a week or so, before btc bottoms.  Unless there is an exogenous jump it would be reasonable to expect continuing XMR\BTC decay.  Yet I am unwilling to sell for a turn-around, simply because the scale and likelihood of a positive shock is too large.  The market cap is too small.  One buyer can double the price forever in 20 seconds or less.  I can't risk that.

I'm not above trading BTC comparably aggressive (after all, some of those profits then go into anon coins like XMR), but agreed on what you write here: Unless you trade rather small amounts (and can get in and out without slippage, and are nimble enough to jump back in on short notice), it makes little sense to trade the current swings that are largely secondary effects to XMR's older brother Bitcoin. Small correction maybe: It does make sense if you aren't attached to your XMR position, as in: if you're skimming off profits in USD only. If your goal is increasing an already non-trivial XMR stash, I find it hard to believe this can be achieved by swing trading, given the current market conditions.

i have swing traded xmr and i have lowered my avg btc/xmr buy in by swing trading, approx 20% more xmr, my first buy was month ago at 0.0037 and then 0.003, then i sold at 0.005-0.004 and then bought 0.0037-0.004, then sold again 0.004 and bought 0.0038-0.004, TA has been triangle and 6h ma20

Nice Smiley

Out of curiosity, care to say what range your xmr account is in? 3, 4, 5 figures (in xmr, I mean)? Because my point wasn't that swing trading is impossible, but that I'm not sure if it works with large-ish accounts (but I can be corrected on this).

P.S. Sorry for the OT. Will take the rest of the conversation to the speculation thread.

i have now 5000 xmr, that's about my max what i want to invest, i try to use limit orders to help with slippage, but that's not so big sum that slippage would be a big problem
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
Yes wallet wallet work simplewallet.exe, there is no connection on port 18082.

You have to explicitly enable simplewallet's RPC with --rpc-bind-port 18082 or whatever. So ./simplewallet --rpc-bind-port 18082

Thanks for the help, yes indeed, it was necessary to specify the port by force.
donator

You have to explicitly enable simplewallet's RPC with --rpc-bind-port 18082 or whatever. So ./simplewallet --rpc-bind-port 18082
Use port 18082

On the 18082 port, an error, there is no connection. Need to make settings to use port 18082?

Do you have the wallet running? You need to have that in order to use the wallet RPC

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

I'm not sure what you are trying to do but that isn't allowed at all in the current implementation. All of the ring mix outputs for one input have to be the same value.

Just idea how to more obscure, but I'll require to add  "amout-spent" into prefix.

edit:
It is stupid idea. will not work
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
Might be good for someone to compare XMR price development over the two days to other altcoins. Might well be that the effect of FUD is not even existent...

Quick scan: Over that period the range of LTC was 2.5%,  XMR 13.6%, BBR 27.4%, XCN 34.5%, and all are within 10% of the range closest to their lows over the period.

What I see is that PoW non-app coins (pure currencies) generally, whether CN or BTC based, have declined in degree best indicated by their market cap.

My intuition:  There is no FUD effect.  It is pure imagination.  The price is down because bitcoin.  

My conjecture is that hot money is flowing out of bitcoin into US stocks (BABA) and GBP bets.  This is ADHD money we're talking about.  I give it a week or so, before btc bottoms.  Unless there is an exogenous jump it would be reasonable to expect continuing XMR\BTC decay.  Yet I am unwilling to sell for a turn-around, simply because the scale and likelihood of a positive shock is too large.  The market cap is too small.  One buyer can double the price forever in 20 seconds or less.  I can't risk that.

I'm not above trading BTC comparably aggressive (after all, some of those profits then go into anon coins like XMR), but agreed on what you write here: Unless you trade rather small amounts (and can get in and out without slippage, and are nimble enough to jump back in on short notice), it makes little sense to trade the current swings that are largely secondary effects to XMR's older brother Bitcoin. Small correction maybe: It does make sense if you aren't attached to your XMR position, as in: if you're skimming off profits in USD only. If your goal is increasing an already non-trivial XMR stash, I find it hard to believe this can be achieved by swing trading, given the current market conditions.

i have swing traded xmr and i have lowered my avg btc/xmr buy in by swing trading, approx 20% more xmr, my first buy was month ago at 0.0037 and then 0.003, then i sold at 0.005-0.004 and then bought 0.0037-0.004, then sold again 0.004 and bought 0.0038-0.004, TA has been triangle and 6h ma20

Nice Smiley

Out of curiosity, care to say what range your xmr account is in? 3, 4, 5 figures (in xmr, I mean)? Because my point wasn't that swing trading is impossible, but that I'm not sure if it works with large-ish accounts (but I can be corrected on this).

P.S. Sorry for the OT. Will take the rest of the conversation to the speculation thread.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Use port 18082

On the 18082 port, an error, there is no connection. Need to make settings to use port 18082?

Do you have the wallet running? You need to have that in order to use the wallet RPC
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Quoting AnonyMint

Okay my hunch appears to be incorrect.

https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf#page=9

There is no additional information gained from each ring signature even if they all use the same Pi, because the qi and wi are chosen randomly.

So I didn't find any weakness in the math, unless it is something in the modular math.

So BCX may mean the "implementation" has an error not the math of the NIZKP, in which case after the attack it would be fixable and the anonymity going forward would be fixed. BCX may be implying (note he didn't exclude that) the exploit can only break the anonymity up to the point of a fix of the implementation.

I don't have time to go hunting in the implementation. Not even for 50 BTC.
Use port 18082

Jump to: