Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1464. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Download new code update and new blockchain from OP.
I already download new blockchain.bin
http://monero.cc/downloads/blockchain/win/blockchain.bin
SHA-1: 8c23da70c1291a61444090d8d5127dd6c12efa81
& simplewallet 0.8.8.3
http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.win.x64.latest.zip
SHA-1:   7b89c14891cab57aa292d3826227c99bd2c8e203

Delete p2pstate.bin and poolstate.bin before starting the daemon.
I did it before

Sync with --log-level 2. Don't specify any nodes.
In process... Shit,  it looks like i have set  --log-level 4 ... Is it rude mistake or not?

202656  - it's wrong digit, l just have done mistake... I see shortly this note and... nothing more:
"Sync data returned unknown top block: 206081 -> 208005 [1924 blocks (1 days) behind]"
you don't have a lot of RAM so it's paging in and out of RAM...
8 Gb RAM total, usage - just 77%
 Win 7 set 6 Gb SWAP, usage - 42%...
Anything wrong?

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
don't specify any nodes unless you absolutely know what you're doing!!!
fluffypony, I already started bitmonerod.exe without specify any nodes and let it run about 1,5 hour, but it can't sync - just stuck on 206081!  If i try later exit bitmonerod it brutally freezes &  even makes me push RESET 'cause RELOAD in WIN7 doesn't work properly! I so tired to fight with XMR Wallet but now i still don't give up & try to decide my problem somehow!  Sad
 & now i really don't understand what i'm doing!!! But i exactly don't think about "nature of a consensus network".
Where i can download right blockchain.bin after 206081! (some errors came out of nowhere!)

You said you were stuck on 202656? If you got up to 206081 you were on the right chain and you just needed to wait for it to sync?

If it's "brutally freezing" when exiting that sounds like it's writing the blockchain to disk and you don't have a lot of RAM so it's paging in and out of RAM...you need to be patient with it. We are working hard on the embedded database, as that will alleviate this sort of problem.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
fluffypony, I already started bitmonerod.exe without specify any nodes and let it run about 1,5 hour, but it can't sync - just stuck on 202656!  If i try later exit bitmonerod it brutally freezes &  even makes me push RESET 'cause RELOAD in WIN7 doesn't work properly! I so tired to fight with XMR Wallet but now i still don't give up & try to decide my problem somehow!  Sad
 & now i really don't understand what i'm doing!!! But i exactly don't think about "nature of a consensus network".
Where i can download right blockchain.bin after 202656!

Any number of things could be wrong with your computer (corrupt files, etc.) or it could be a problem with the code. Let's fine out.

1. Download new code update and new blockchain from OP.

2. Sync with --log-level 2. Don't specify any nodes.

3. If anything bad happens, post the relevant portion of your log file.

EDIT: 1.5 Delete p2pstate.bin and poolstate.bin before starting the daemon. Don't delete your wallet unless it is empty.
fluffypony, I already started bitmonerod.exe without specify any nodes and let it run about 1,5 hour, but it can't sync - just stuck on 206081!  If i try later exit bitmonerod it brutally freezes &  even makes me push RESET 'cause RELOAD in WIN7 doesn't work properly! I so tired to fight with XMR Wallet but now i still don't give up & try to decide my problem somehow!  Sad
Where i can download right blockchain.bin after 206081! (some errors came out of nowhere!)
donator
You can add as much as exclusive node as you want in option. It will help Smiley

That's not true - adding exclusive nodes prevents it from connecting to other nodes. Adding priority nodes makes it try connect to those first and to maintain a connection to them. Both options are bad if you're trying to be part of a global consensus network - let your client connect to peers and *find* consensus rather than forcing it to connect to certain peers. Doing so breaks the very nature of a consensus network.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
So I've heard about this coin on several threads. Whats this coin all about? Anon???

It's mostly about tacos & pizza, but recently there's been word about an elephant as well. Proceed with caution!
~ Myagui
Activity: 219
Merit: 100
You can add as much as exclusive node as you want in option. It will help Smiley
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
So I've heard about this coin on several threads. Whats this coin all about? Anon???
donator
Still can't sync bitmonerod.
I delete my p2pstate.bin, poolstate.bin, myXMR.bin.
Then start bitmonerod with the flag "--add-priority-node 88.151.101.22:18080".
"Sync data returned unknown top block: 206081 -> 208005 [1924 blocks (1 days) behind]"
I definitely stuck on 202656 so wrong fork i guess. This blockchain.bin
didn't work for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Please, Kind people give me link to download right blockchain.bin after 202656! Cry for help!  Cry

P.S. I also want to add in file of start of bitmonerod:
--add-exclusive-node 178.253.202.230:18080 --add-exclusive-node 79.140.20.93:18080 --add-exclusive-node 78.27.112.54:18080 --add-exclusive-node 114.219.164.13:18080 --add-exclusive-node 89.240.241.74:18080 --add-exclusive-node 37.52.249.122:18080 --add-exclusive-node 128.171.159.20:18080 --add-exclusive-node 75.118.218.3:18080
May be it helps?  Huh

Why are you specifying nodes?!?!???

Just start bitmonerod.exe and let it run, don't specify any nodes unless you absolutely know what you're doing!!!
Well done.
Still can't sync bitmonerod.
I delete my p2pstate.bin, poolstate.bin, myXMR.bin.
Then start bitmonerod with the flag "--add-priority-node 88.151.101.22:18080".
I definitely stuck on 202656 so wrong fork i guess. This blockchain.bin
didn't work for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Please, Kind people give me link to download right blockchain.bin after 202656! Cry for help!  Cry

P.S. I also want to add in file of start of bitmonerod:
--add-exclusive-node 178.253.202.230:18080 --add-exclusive-node 79.140.20.93:18080 --add-exclusive-node 78.27.112.54:18080 --add-exclusive-node 114.219.164.13:18080 --add-exclusive-node 89.240.241.74:18080 --add-exclusive-node 37.52.249.122:18080 --add-exclusive-node 128.171.159.20:18080 --add-exclusive-node 75.118.218.3:18080
May be it helps?  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
At this point the attack has been handled with neither a persistent fork nor a roll-back.  Well done.
legendary
Obviously not my area of expertise, but longest chains are supposed to win and miners will eventually drop shorter chains when the proper blocks are eventually broadcast across the network. So, I'd be interested to know what the fix, fixed. Was it a patch that fixed the attackers means to enter the network with a checkpoint that loses the corrupted chain(s)?

Ah yes - sorry, the terminology used in the blockchain storage class is rollback -

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain_storage.cpp#L399

rollback_blockchain_switching() is used when a node disconnects from one chain, rolls back, and then switches to another chain that it determines is "best" (longest verifiable).

Thanks.

This sounds like a temporary patch (based on smooth response above) because of constant moving check points pushing everyone back to a particular chain rather than a chain chosen by consensus? If so, is there a time frame when there are sufficient number of blocks to enable the checkpoints to be removed?

the consensus code worked, only one forked survived, the problem was people were stuck on the bad fork, but now with new binaries its impossible to go wrong Wink

It sort of worked. Everyone should have switched to one chain once it got longer (switches back and forth a few times are possible until it is clear which chain wins), and that part didn't work.

legendary
Obviously not my area of expertise, but longest chains are supposed to win and miners will eventually drop shorter chains when the proper blocks are eventually broadcast across the network. So, I'd be interested to know what the fix, fixed. Was it a patch that fixed the attackers means to enter the network with a checkpoint that loses the corrupted chain(s)?

Ah yes - sorry, the terminology used in the blockchain storage class is rollback -

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain_storage.cpp#L399

rollback_blockchain_switching() is used when a node disconnects from one chain, rolls back, and then switches to another chain that it determines is "best" (longest verifiable).

Thanks.

This sounds like a temporary patch (based on smooth response above) because of constant moving check points pushing everyone back to a particular chain rather than a chain chosen by consensus? If so, is there a time frame when there are sufficient number of blocks to enable the checkpoints to be removed?

Checkpoints were only needed in this case because of the exploit. Most coins do use checkpoints in practice, including Bitcoin, even if they aren't needed in theory (if everything works as intended).

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

Thanks.

donator

legendary
Thanks @smooth
legendary
Coins101, you understood the word rollback in a incorrect manner.
The patch just syncs to the correct chain if you are stuck on the wrong one; it goes back to the block where the split occured and syncs from there on.

This "rollback" has nothning todo with a bc rollback, i agree the word is confusingly used tho.

This is a "final fix" or "patch" call it how you want but the daemon continues to operate correct with it.

Obviously not my area of expertise, but longest chains are supposed to win and miners will eventually drop shorter chains when the proper blocks are eventually broadcast across the network. So, I'd be interested to know what the fix, fixed. Was it a patch with a checkpoint that loses the corrupted chain(s)?

There were three fixes. One to prevent the type of malicious blocks that caused the fork from being used again, the second is adding checkpoints to make sure you are on the correct fork when syncing past the malicious blocks, and finally checking of checkpoints in the saved blockchain file to ensure that you end up on the correct fork after restarting your daemon.

The normal "longest chain wins" code used for normal forks that happen all the time (usually just one or two blocks, but can be longer) doesn't work in this case without the fixes because it assumes that there is only one version of a block with the same block ID, which the exploit violated.
legendary
The patch just syncs to the correct chain if you are stuck on the wrong one; it goes back to the block where the split occured and syncs from there on.

This "rollback" has nothning todo with a bc rollback, i agree the word is confusingly used tho.

This is a "final fix" or "patch" call it how you want but the daemon continues to operate correct with it.

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

legendary
I'm updating my copy of the blockhain with 0.8.8.3 and it's saying it is -3 days ahead at this point. Is this how it is supposed to be going?

My guess is that it's seeing that the bad chain exists, and will download that, fail to verify it and its work, and switch back to the main chain.

Should I download the blockchain from the OP and use it instead of what I have synced or is mine ok?

You are okay as long as you updated to the latest release are able to sync to the current height, no need to download a new blockchain.

It is the peer you connected with that is on the wrong chain. Nothing we can do about that, some nodes are just neglected, forgotten, etc. The network must function even with bad nodes, and it does.

I must have missed something. Is this release a patch or final fix? There was a post a few pages back that there was a rollback - is that part of the patch or fix, to get rid of the corrupt block(s)?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8698576

Thanks

Edit: Just seen the post above which indicates this is a patch release.
Jump to: