Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1474. (Read 4670622 times)

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Don't both blockchains technically have a corrupted block?

Kinda - but the longest chain is the one that we have to accept as "correct" and manually pin it.
Activity: 99
Merit: 91
Don't both blockchains technically have a corrupted block?
legendary
Activity: 2893
Merit: 1158

I understand that everybody wants to be cautious with unapproved blockchains but I also wanted to get my wallet synced and not wait any longer so I downloaded the above torrent file.
I can tell you that it worked perfectly for me and I sent some XMR to poloniex once I was on this chain and the payment has arrived. So all good for me.
My seedbox is seeding this chain on 500mbit if you want to grab it.

If you want to be super-super-cautious then wait for the devs to release an approved blockchain, which I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet.

That's really odd. That blockchain.bin didn't work for me on Windows 7 64-bit when I downloaded it earlier this morning, so I ended up having to use other means.

This is the torrent file and not the full .dat file that was posted on mega.co.nz, are you sure this is the one you downloaded?
Anyway, I'm not forcing anybody to download this, just sharing my experience with it and everybody can decide for themselves.
As mentioned before, my XMR arrived at poloniex without problems and the BTC I traded them for are in my BTC wallet now so no worries for me Smiley

Yep, it was the torrent file that I downloaded it with that resulted in a blockchain.bin file that didn't work.
I have the same problem

Where I can to get the latest blockchain without MEGA?

thanks

UPD: http://www.fayloobmennik.net/4084993 or http://my-files.ru/c1p27u
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
My XMR client is on block #205022. I suppose that means I am on the correct chain?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Admin of DwarfPool.com

I present here one small project to protect Monero network

ForkGuard

http://forkguard.com/

Watch last blocks on all pools

If pool operator/ exchange / seed node want to put stable results, please download forkguard-script and send me mail to get your free key

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011

I understand that everybody wants to be cautious with unapproved blockchains but I also wanted to get my wallet synced and not wait any longer so I downloaded the above torrent file.
I can tell you that it worked perfectly for me and I sent some XMR to poloniex once I was on this chain and the payment has arrived. So all good for me.

If you want to be super-super-cautious then wait for the devs to release an approved blockchain, which I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet.

That's really odd. That blockchain.bin didn't work for me on Windows 7 64-bit when I downloaded it earlier this morning, so I ended up having to use other means.

This is the torrent file and not the full .dat file that was posted on mega.co.nz, are you sure this is the one you downloaded?
Anyway, I'm not forcing anybody to download this, just sharing my experience with it and everybody can decide for themselves.
As mentioned before, my XMR arrived at poloniex without problems and the BTC I traded them for are in my BTC wallet now so no worries for me Smiley

Yep, it was the torrent file that I downloaded it with that resulted in a blockchain.bin file that didn't work.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
any idea on time line? any news would be apreciated, thanks. I suppose Im a little impaticent, just started mining again because nothing out there seems worth wasting the hash on. within hours of mining this attack happened and my coins keep being sent and have no working wallet to recieve them. by the way good work on catching and taking action so fast.

You can still mine at pools as long as they're on the main chain -- just seeing your funds will be difficult until we update the code. Your coins will still exist fine though.
Activity: 415
Merit: 250
We're trying to get the code to fix the daemon out today. Standby. Our blockchain is now technically corrupted so the fix is a little more complicated than the simple one for the other CN coins.

any idea on time line? any news would be apreciated, thanks. I suppose Im a little impaticent, just started mining again because nothing out there seems worth wasting the hash on. within hours of mining this attack happened and my coins keep being sent and have no working wallet to recieve them. by the way good work on catching and taking action so fast.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
We're trying to get the code to fix the daemon out today. Standby. Our blockchain is now technically corrupted so the fix is a little more complicated than the simple one for the other CN coins.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Why not run Windows VM with 30 days old blockchain, run Linux VM with up to date blockchain, block everything on firewall on Windows VM except Linux VM, then set up Linux VM as primary node on Windows VM. Sync safely.

Wow.  I might do this just for the fun of it. Wink

I imagine for most just syncing the outdated chain will take less time.  Some places in the world it's lunchtime.  Perfect for letting the computer crunch along. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Why not run Windows VM with 30 days old blockchain, run Linux VM with up to date blockchain, block everything on firewall on Windows VM except Linux VM, then set up Linux VM as primary node on Windows VM. Sync safely.
Activity: 505
Merit: 500
I managed to sync ok after I deleted my old blockchain and used the official -30 days- old one on a windows machine.  I closed and restarted again just to check and it syncs ok.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
If it is somebody well known in the community where it is reasonable to trust then I personally wouldn't have an issue with using a blockchain they provide.

We haven't uploaded an official one because our Windows development node refuses to sync despite several attempts. We're continuing to try, and either way once we have a fix to pin the malicious blocks, that will definitely make our Windows node cooperate and we'll have an official blockchain upload that point.

It might be more efficient to take denned's chain and validate it in a VM (or just accept the testimonial offered).  Once it has synced, that makes it vanishingly unlikely for it to be some sort of trojan.
That said, it wouldn't help debug the problems syncing the dev Windows machine, which is probably more pressing.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Snip.......

Seriously STOP POSTING THAT LINK.

Corrected that for you......

Didn't need to as I mangled it.  One of the ones someone keeps posting is also my mangled version. Wink

I'm forever discovering that there is always someone smarter. It's getting a bit disheartening.
legendary
Whimsical Pants
Snip.......

Seriously STOP POSTING THAT LINK.

Corrected that for you......

Didn't need to as I mangled it.  One of the ones someone keeps posting is also my mangled version. Wink
legendary
Whimsical Pants
Seems people have many troubles with downloading blockchain. Still can't understand why devs won't upload blockchain to mega as a mirror. I'll never download blockchain from untrusted source these days and ever.

The trouble isn't with downloading it, that works just fine. The trouble is with us updating the Windows download to a non-forked one, which necessitates us first finishing off this block-pinning code.

Why is the op blockchain over a month old? The post says its kept current, but its not. I still had to sync 12 days when i download for the 8.8.2 upgrade after the last attack.

On an average connection getting through 12 days should not take long at all.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
legendary
Whimsical Pants

Downloaded it, and Monero tells me "Can't load blockchain storage from file". I guess it's not legit. Might have been created with an older version, or a pre-rc1 version of the .NET GUI?

DO NOT DOWNLOAD BLOCKCHAINS VIA TORRENT FILES POSTED BY RANDOM USERS HERE.

Only download the files from the OP.
legendary
Whimsical Pants
Activity: 332
Merit: 250

Jump to: