Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1475. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011

I understand that everybody wants to be cautious with unapproved blockchains but I also wanted to get my wallet synced and not wait any longer so I downloaded the above torrent file.
I can tell you that it worked perfectly for me and I sent some XMR to poloniex once I was on this chain and the payment has arrived. So all good for me.
My seedbox is seeding this chain on 500mbit if you want to grab it.

If you want to be super-super-cautious then wait for the devs to release an approved blockchain, which I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet.

That's really odd. That blockchain.bin didn't work for me on Windows 7 64-bit when I downloaded it earlier this morning, so I ended up having to use other means.
Activity: 38
Merit: 14

I can't successly compile wallet&bitmonerod  from github source code now.
following is information by make :

rio@i2f14fd0fZ0a40Z:~/bitmonero/bitmonero$ git pull
Already up-to-date.
rio@i2f14fd0fZ0a40Z:~/bitmonero/bitmonero$ make
mkdir -p build/release
cd build/release && cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../..
-- Found Git: /usr/bin/git
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/rio/bitmonero/bitmonero/build/release
cd build/release && make
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rio/bitmonero/bitmonero/build/release'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/rio/bitmonero/bitmonero/build/release'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/rio/bitmonero/bitmonero/build/release'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rio/bitmonero/bitmonero/build/release'
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
CMake Warning at src/version.cmake:3 (message):
  Cannot determine current revision.  Make sure that you are building either
  from a Git working tree or from a source archive.

[  0%] Built target version
[  1%] Building C object external/miniupnpc/CMakeFiles/upnpc-static.dir/igd_desc_parse.c.o
cc1: error: -Werror=maybe-uninitialized: no option -Wmaybe-uninitialized
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option ?std=c11?
make[3]: *** [external/miniupnpc/CMakeFiles/upnpc-static.dir/igd_desc_parse.c.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [external/miniupnpc/CMakeFiles/upnpc-static.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rio/bitmonero/bitmonero/build/release'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rio/bitmonero/bitmonero/build/release'
make: *** [build-release] Error 2
rio@i2f14fd0fZ0a40Z:~/bitmonero/bitmonero$

anyone had encountered that and  found  a solution?
who can give some help for me?

I got fix solution,share it for all : upgrade gcc4.6 to gcc4.8,all things be right now!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Any sign of a Win 64 blockchain download?

Just re-did mine from the one in the 1st post and it ended up on the wrong fork...

Just quoting to try and raise this request out of mire of squabbling.  Smiley

im agree too, instead of talking with no sense could just some body upload the correct block chain please (im talking to those guys who think they are supporting this coin)

You have to wait the devs come with an official link for the blockchain or new binaries, I wouldn't trust anything else.

If it is somebody well known in the community where it is reasonable to trust then I personally wouldn't have an issue with using a blockchain they provide.

We haven't uploaded an official one because our Windows development node refuses to sync despite several attempts. We're continuing to try, and either way once we have a fix to pin the malicious blocks, that will definitely make our Windows node cooperate and we'll have an official blockchain upload that point.
Activity: 332
Merit: 250

I understand that everybody wants to be cautious with unapproved blockchains but I also wanted to get my wallet synced and not wait any longer so I downloaded the above torrent file.
I can tell you that it worked perfectly for me and I sent some XMR to poloniex once I was on this chain and the payment has arrived. So all good for me.
My seedbox is seeding this chain on 500mbit if you want to grab it.

If you want to be super-super-cautious then wait for the devs to release an approved blockchain, which I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet.
legendary
I finally got mine on Windows 64-bit to sync to the current blockchain. I can provide a magnet uri here if anyone is interested. I'm fully aware of the trust factor involved here, so, you'll obviously have to trust me when downloading it.
thanks man, i've given up trying to megaup mine, too slow. however, of the three computers on which i run the daemon, all are now synced with the proper chain. only one of those three, did i download from genesis. i think the erroneous chain is dying off, more and more people are propagating the healthy one.
still don't have my coins. sent them to an exchange whose wallet was presumably on the wrong chain, now i'm just hoping that the coins will be with them once they've resynced. if i'm understanding properly what happened, that's what will transpire, and they won't be lost due to some complication i've missed. i'm trying not to accidentally DDOS mintpal F5'ing 'til i can be sure. once that's sorted, all my XMR problems are gone and i can go back to bagholding 'til prices are in lambo territory.

I just updated my post, as psterryl uploaded one to mega; see previous messages in thread for link. Could still potentially get a torrent going with his file once tested.
Activity: 200
Merit: 100
I finally got mine on Windows 64-bit to sync to the current blockchain. I can provide a magnet uri here if anyone is interested. I'm fully aware of the trust factor involved here, so, you'll obviously have to trust me when downloading it.
thanks man, i've given up trying to megaup mine, too slow. however, of the three computers on which i run the daemon, all are now synced with the proper chain. only one of those three, did i download from genesis. i think the erroneous chain is dying off, more and more people are propagating the healthy one.
still don't have my coins. sent them to an exchange whose wallet was presumably on the wrong chain, now i'm just hoping that the coins will be with them once they've resynced. if i'm understanding properly what happened, that's what will transpire, and they won't be lost due to some complication i've missed. i'm trying not to accidentally DDOS mintpal F5'ing 'til i can be sure. once that's sorted, all my XMR problems are gone and i can go back to bagholding 'til prices are in lambo territory.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Seems people have many troubles with downloading blockchain. Still can't understand why devs won't upload blockchain to mega as a mirror. I'll never download blockchain from untrusted source these days and ever.

The trouble isn't with downloading it, that works just fine. The trouble is with us updating the Windows download to a non-forked one, which necessitates us first finishing off this block-pinning code.

Why is the op blockchain over a month old? The post says its kept current, but its not. I still had to sync 12 days when i download for the 8.8.2 upgrade after the last attack.
Activity: 265
Merit: 119
The daemon does not fully validate a blockchain that it loads from a file. This is certainly not a good thing. We will ultimately support a bootstrap format that is validated like Bitcoin does, but that functionality doesn't exist yet.

So downloaded blockchains should be used with care, only from a trusted source.

Ah ok, with that being the case I can see why a downloaded blockchain could be problematic if crafted maliciously. As people have no reason to trust me I will share the tricks I used to get my win x64 blockchain synced and updated. As I said in my edited post above:

If anyone wants to sync themselves due to the chance of a dodgy blockchain (mine isn't but I can understand the concerns - see smooth's post below), download the blockchain from the OP and then start bitmonerod with the flag "--add-priority-node 88.151.101.22:18080". That will preferentially try to sync to a known good node (thanks to hegemoOn on IRC for that). It's how I got my chain synced to the right fork. You can still end up on the wrong fork but this gives you a better chance.

Also, you can 'save' your blockchain in bitmonerod at around block 202000, so that way if you end up on the wrong fork just close bitmonerod without saving and try again.

Thank you for this suggestion, it worked for me. I looked at the log and from my previous unsuccessful attempts to sync I found other nodes that were on the right chain. I picked few of them and added them as priority nodes alongside the one you provided for a total of 4 priority nodes. The sync process succeeded from the first attempt.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
Any sign of a Win 64 blockchain download?

Just re-did mine from the one in the 1st post and it ended up on the wrong fork...

Just quoting to try and raise this request out of mire of squabbling.  Smiley

im agree too, instead of talking with no sense could just some body upload the correct block chain please (im talking to those guys who think they are supporting this coin)
legendary

Edit: I see psterryl posted a link to one on mega.co.nz. That'll probably do.

Windows x64 blockchain (on the right fork) here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!1pM3zDRR!mByS0T0eZU4pGfbQ2N6B1yyooneJ9-cSSWi1DN0uBQs

Redownloaded to test and it loads succesfully:

Code:
2014-Sep-05 14:50:33.835991 Loading blockchain...
2014-Sep-05 14:51:06.933295 Blockchain initialized. last block: 204491, d0.h2.m22.s45 time ago, current difficulty: 1207884575

Edit: If anyone wants to sync themselves due to the chance of a dodgy blockchain (mine isn't but I can understand the concerns - see smooth's post below), download the blockchain from the OP and then start bitmonerod with the flag "--add-priority-node 88.151.101.22:18080". That will preferentially try to sync to a known good node (thanks to hegemoOn on IRC for that). It's how I got my chain synced to the right fork. You can still end up on the wrong fork but this gives you a better chance.

Also, you can 'save' your blockchain in bitmonerod at around block 202000, so that way if you end up on the wrong fork just close bitmonerod without saving and try again.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Seems people have many troubles with downloading blockchain. Still can't understand why devs won't upload blockchain to mega as a mirror. I'll never download blockchain from untrusted source these days and ever.

I think devs have had problems getting their Windows x64 blockchain to sync to the correct fork themselves.

Brief update -

We're busy working on pinning the bad block as a sort-of checkpoint, so that you'll never end up on the bad fork even if you're catching up. As soon as this is out then everyone will be able to catch-up, including our poor Windows blockchain box that has tried a bunch of times:)
(bold emphasis mine)

Not surprised, it took a few attempts for me to get it synced right. Didn't expect to see that there's still so many daemons on the wrong fork though. Noticing a lot of this in my bitmonerod output:

Code:
2014-Sep-05 14:51:50.897693 [P2P4][89.21.79.82:18080 OUT]Sync data returned unknown top block: 204662 -> 202659 [2003 blocks (-1 days) ahead]

I posted some tips in my last post on how to get synced up using the blockchain in the OP. It just takes a little while is all.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

The trouble isn't with downloading it, that works just fine. The trouble is with us updating the Windows download to a non-forked one, which necessitates us first finishing off this block-pinning code.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Activity: 99
XMR is the future.
The daemon does not fully validate a blockchain that it loads from a file. This is certainly not a good thing. We will ultimately support a bootstrap format that is validated like Bitcoin does, but that functionality doesn't exist yet.

Ah ok, with that being the case I can see why a downloaded blockchain could be problematic if crafted maliciously. As people have no reason to trust me I will share the tricks I used to get my win x64 blockchain synced and updated. As I said in my edited post above:

If anyone wants to sync themselves due to the chance of a dodgy blockchain (mine isn't but I can understand the concerns - see smooth's post below), download the blockchain from the OP and then start bitmonerod with the flag "--add-priority-node 88.151.101.22:18080". That will preferentially try to sync to a known good node (thanks to hegemoOn and his pool [monero.coolmining.club] for that). It's how I got my chain synced to the right fork. You can still end up on the wrong fork but this gives you a better chance.

legendary

https://meg--a.co.nz/#!1pM3zDRR!--mByS0T0eZU4pGfbQ2N6B1yyooneJ9-cSSWi1DN0uBQs

Currently redownloading it myself just to verify that it does actually work. Will edit this post when tested or if anyone else confirms it's working.

Not approved.

Again, I'm not saying any of these are bad. Use your own judgement.

Understandable. You can only approve what you guys know to be 100% legitimate and have put out yourself. Out of curiosity - would it even be possible to craft a malicious blockchain file? I always figured it would just fail to load and error out. Worst case scenario would be having to resync from the genesis block, or download from the OP and then sync up from a month ago, hoping you get the right fork.

Currently redownloading it myself just to verify that it does actually work. Will edit this post when tested or if anyone else confirms it's working.

Not approved.

Understandable. You can only approve what you guys know to be 100% legitimate and have put out yourself. Out of curiosity - would it even be possible to craft a malicious blockchain file? I always figured it would just fail to load and error out. Worst case scenario would be having to resync from the genesis block, or download from the OP and then sync up from a month ago, hoping you get the right fork.
legendary

Not approved.

legendary

https://mega.co.nz/#!1pM3zDRR!mByS0T0eZU4pGfbQ2N6B1yyooneJ9-cSSWi1DN0uBQs

Redownloaded to test and it loads succesfully:

Code:
2014-Sep-05 14:50:33.835991 Loading blockchain...
2014-Sep-05 14:51:06.933295 Blockchain initialized. last block: 204491, d0.h2.m22.s45 time ago, current difficulty: 1207884575

Edit: If anyone wants to sync themselves due to the chance of a dodgy blockchain (mine isn't but I can understand the concerns - see smooth's post below), download the blockchain from the OP and then start bitmonerod with the flag "--add-priority-node 88.151.101.22:18080". That will preferentially try to sync to a known good node (thanks to hegemoOn and his pool [monero.coolmining.club] for that). It's how I got my chain synced to the right fork. You can still end up on the wrong fork but this gives you a better chance.

Jump to: