Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1478. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 263
Merit: 250
Two tx from the attackers are now present in the mempool and are waiting to enter a block. They spend the outputs from the overflow tx.

http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/e3b94625d8eb5513dbc98b599a86a3b8622a23dce0124334f5b9982b656c59c5
http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/f7a2c4d0c4ccbfae37d550253c5f032156d9e8d0897d76137e26ea5fa8a92f44

Additionally, there is a tx in the mempool that is corrupt for 66 XMR.

http://chainradar.com/xmr/txpool

No clue what the intention of these are.

Are the first two legal? They use nonstrandard denomination. Maybe that is the attack? Unmixable txo?

Is there any meaningful raw data in the corrupted tx? I don't know any way to access it.
Activity: 529
Merit: 505
I'm on drugs, what's your excuse?
I suspect the NSA or other government agency.......crypto is heading into worm hole and if it makes there going to have hell of a time tracing the wealth. Attack the biggest cyrptonote first try and start war between it and BBR. This would not be the first time that this tactic has been used  Divide and Conquer. There has even been a post over at BBR warning of potential regulatory intervention if James rolls out Supernet IPO on Poloniex. Rather than Fud each other, its time to work together. If we can't do it then they win. I don't care who started this attack on XMR all I can say to them is FUCK YOU. People bitching about code this code that
all code is a work in progress if it isn't then its dead or perfect and there isn't much perfection in the world.

Jon  Angry
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
I don't know if this is related, but I basically reset everything out of fear. I'm all synced up, but i'm missing XMR. Not a lot, but 17 XMR difference from this morning to right now. The bad part is that I never saved the TX Id. Any way of getting/finding the missing xmr?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Two tx from the attackers are now present in the mempool and are waiting to enter a block. They spend the outputs from the overflow tx.

http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/e3b94625d8eb5513dbc98b599a86a3b8622a23dce0124334f5b9982b656c59c5
http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/f7a2c4d0c4ccbfae37d550253c5f032156d9e8d0897d76137e26ea5fa8a92f44

Additionally, there is a tx in the mempool that is corrupt for 66 XMR.

http://chainradar.com/xmr/txpool

No clue what the intention of these are.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
please help how can i know that my wallet is in the right fork? i have bitmonero v 0.8.8.2  and the last block was 203753
thanks in advance...

You are on the right chain as far as I can see. See below:

The scope of this attack clearly makes it an organized effort. While it is possible that some lone guy is figuring out the flaw and how to take advantage of it, the fact we are needing more than one skillset and resources more indicates a team is involved.

Theoretically if you guys didnt notice the strange stuff on the blockchain and polo went on a fork, could they have just made many small withdraws over a week and drained the polo acct? The timeframe and resources required for this doesnt seem like some statment attack to cause a fork and go "ha ha", but where financial gain is involved.

If so, the list if suspects as being involved in this would be polo accts that were involved in accumulating recently (which I remember seeing talked about) and probably these were also trying to do the double spend while on the fork.

So, maybe the attack was against polo?

James

Nope - bear in mind that basically without any action from us the "bad" fork died after 35 minutes. It still exists, it's just stuck at block 202647 and won't proceed. This would have happened even if we hadn't noticed it, so there's little they could have done to have any long-lived attack.
Activity: 149
Merit: 100
I would like to say a big THANK YOU to the Monero Devs and its community

Devs
*Quickly identifying, releasing and sharing a fix
*Forum updates / damage control
*Exchange notification

Community
*Exchange notification
*Buy walls
*Donations

--edit--
adding BTC to the buy wall!
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
How many blocks have your servers found since the attack, relative to an average of what they normally find?

The usually count +/-, nothing unusual

But found another interesting thing.
They are some hidden pool with ca. 7-9 Mhs (easy to find, just network-hashrate - all known pool speeds)
And daily difficulty waves depends on this hidden pool.
What now? Today wave is broken (see diff-picture on my pool) and all pools found more blocks this time )))
I think hidden pool on the wrong chain.

Why would he use a third party pool at all?

edit

yeah, difficulty looks down, blocks look up, relative to the diff drop?
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
please help how can i know that my wallet is in the right fork? i have bitmonero v 0.8.8.2  and the last block was 203753
thanks in advance...
legendary
If you're trying to remain anonymous....be careful not to reveal any information linking your bitcoin addresses to your identity. Satoshi, 2010

great satoshi, would love to hear his opinion on Monero...

Who says he isn't here already?

He's mining drk as we speak. lol.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134

There just has to be a financial motive for this. only thing makes sense

I agree. What about using foreknowledge of this to trade (assuming people will panic).

Forks cause exchanges to freeze up. That would be too risky.

Maybe you think you are going to just kill the coin outright or close to it. If you can manage to arrange a short, you don't relay care about exchanges. You short, it goes to zero, you make money.

rpitilla has been selling OTC options. Any unusual put orders?

how could any organization smart enough to conduct this attack be stupid enough to think it would kill a coin?
What if they botched it? too many moving parts and they tried to shove a bunch of premade blocks and get N blocks ahead of the real chain. Then they could just feed in new blocks if the main chain ever got close and so with 1% of mining power actually needed get all the XMR from here to forever.

is that possible. It seems they did tack on a new block without mining it, so they just need to mine one block make a fork, shove in a decent sized chain and keep the rest of the thousands of pregenerated blocks in reserve.

I know, way too elaborate, but considering what they did...

anyway I am no expert on all this mining and blocks stuff, so just throwing out silly theories hoping someone that actually knows this in details might see the answer. I just have this feeling there is something else to find

James
Activity: 770
If you're trying to remain anonymous....be careful not to reveal any information linking your bitcoin addresses to your identity. Satoshi, 2010

great satoshi, would love to hear his opinion on Monero...

Who says he isn't here already?
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
XMR is the future.
legendary
How many blocks have your servers found since the attack, relative to an average of what they normally find?

If he was confident in finding the next block, assuming he did, that would have been a strong candidate for the purpose of the attack - who wouldn't want to know they could mine blocks on demand? He could deliver whole clusters of a Merkle tree.  But not sure that has happened here if you don't have any spikes in blocks.

edit

Atrides, I'm afraid you seem to be ground zero at the moment.

Its been a while since I've been on your pool, but can you tell when the miner linked to these blocks started and possibly finished on your pool?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

I agree. What about using foreknowledge of this to trade (assuming people will panic).

Maybe you think you are going to just kill the coin outright or close to it. If you can manage to arrange a short, you don't relay care about exchanges. You short, it goes to zero, you make money.

rpitilla has been selling OTC options. Any unusual put orders?

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

Or it wasn't (directly) economically motivated to attack an exchange, perhaps to simply attack the coin directly (especially if they underestimated us and didn't think we could fix it).

But we are still just guessing.

This is what I was just going to say. If a few are pissed enough I could imagine they would do it just for that purpose.

At any rate great job to the devs and all who were involved helping out by spreading the word to exchanges etc. It was really great seeing the devs working hard to fix it & communities reaching out to assist.
Activity: 658
Admin of DwarfPool.com

But found another interesting thing.
They are some hidden pool with ca. 7-9 Mhs (easy to find, just network-hashrate - all known pool speeds)
And daily difficulty waves depends on this hidden pool.
What now? Today wave is broken (see diff-picture on my pool) and all pools found more blocks this time )))
I think hidden pool on the wrong chain.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

rpitilla did say something about what he described as unusual trading that day. i don't know the details.

He stated this:

Wouldn't it be best to let weak hands dump and long term believers buy at discounted prices than artificially holding the price up?

With price-discovery in the markets, the definition of "artificial" is vague. In one sense, the decline from 510 to 400 and below was "artificial" (if we assume it was, at least partly, a product of preknowledge of the coming attack and speculation that it would further hurt the price). In the other sense, the essence of markets is that all knowledge is taken into account, information is not perfect, and seldom even the best informed players have access to many information that some of the others have, in turn.

If we discount the last week downturn altogether, the price should be much higher by now. The attack failed - it could not damage the confidence towards XMR, it exposed the old scammers more, and proved how capable the devteam is. "Rolling back" the preparation of the attack from price history would lift us to 600 by tomorrow.

But if the market collectively decides that a selloff is in order, we might find ourselves at 300 instead. That some buyers openly like XMR at 400, is no more artificial than others vowing in the trollbox that they will sell every one of theirs, at whatever price they can get once the trading starts. Depending who will prevail, buying at 400 may be the last opportunity to buy at 400, or the last opportunity to sell at 400. Most likely, given the meager actual effect of the attack, it won't be neither, and anyone making decisions based on what others have already done, is just impoverishing himself as a result.

I have a largish number of XMR and BTC in the exchange, ready to react. But my reaction will be to buy if the price goes down, and sell if it goes up. This is my way of making slow and steady profit. Others have their way, and without panickers, my income would be significantly lower.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

rpitilla did say something about what he described as unusual trading that day. i don't know the details.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

Jump to: