Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1483. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Who cares?
XMR is trading again on poloniex.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Could someone explain this to me:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8673348

duckNote is not vulnerable for double spend attack, because XDN do not have any blockchain split, but Monero has it for more than 10 hours, that is why:
Monero is still vulnerable for double spend attack!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

They are saying that because we got hacked and they didn't (I wonder why), even though they had the same exact vulnerability in their code that somehow we are vulnerable and they are not. You can't fix stupid.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
I guess the whole, it was around for 2 years but nobody ever knew anything about was pretty scammy and near impossible.

It was not around for two years. Read the thread.

Thank you for your support during our recent challenge and generally.

I think you both agree.  If you read his statement with some quote marks:

I guess the whole "it was around for two years but nobody ever knew anything" [thing] was pretty scammy and near impossible.

you're in violent accord. Smiley
yes, i meant this, the "it was around for 2 years but nobody ever knew anything about it"
this seems impossible in today's world
when I am tired, my english it becomes weaker
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
test https://mega.co.nz/#!rbggbrgbrgbrgbLINKTRASHEDBrbrgbrgbrgbgrjw win64 blockchain #203437 block

I am opposed to users taking this without a prior blessing from a core member.

No shit.  That is craziness.  DO  NOT DOWNLOAD THIS.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
XMR is the future.
Activity: 378
Could someone explain this to me:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8673348

duckNote is not vulnerable for double spend attack, because XDN do not have any blockchain split, but Monero has it for more than 10 hours, that is why:
Monero is still vulnerable for double spend attack!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
W h a t   a   g r o s s   i r o n y that the most legitimate and economic initial distribution of any cryptocoin existing (and therefore the most potential #2 coin in the months and years to come) happens to be a coin with an unbelievably messy codebase, intentionally made scammy, buggy, unoptimized, crippled and obfuscated by the (B)CN scamdevs.

XMR is not the most legitimate and economic initial distribution of any cryptocoin existing. There are other people(myself included) who have gone to great lengths to attempt to create the fairest possible initial distribution for a cryptocurrency.

The XMR distribution obviously had some minor issues which don't need to be brought up again. And I'm not here to say anything negative about XMR in anyway(in fact while I'm here, congrats devs on handling this attack well) but it's probably best just to stick to facts.

You mean dga? I thought he sold most of his mined coins as he mined making it not a distribution problem.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
I'm a bit confused here, can I do anything with my coins right now or do I have to wait for a new wallet rebuild, and then resync first?
If you are on the correct blockchain you are fine and you could send and receive XMR. If you are not in a hurry you could wait the fix to be released first.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
W h a t   a   g r o s s   i r o n y that the most legitimate and economic initial distribution of any cryptocoin existing (and therefore the most potential #2 coin in the months and years to come) happens to be a coin with an unbelievably messy codebase, intentionally made scammy, buggy, unoptimized, crippled and obfuscated by the (B)CN scamdevs.

XMR is not the most legitimate and economic initial distribution of any cryptocoin existing. There are other people(myself included) who have gone to great lengths to attempt to create the fairest possible initial distribution for a cryptocurrency.

Hah, contradiction already in the second line. Sorry to say but your logic has been going down since last year.  Sad
Activity: 280
Who cares?
I'm a bit confused here, can I do anything with my coins right now or do I have to wait for a new wallet rebuild, and then resync first?
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha

The XMR distribution obviously had some minor issues which don't need to be brought up again. And I'm not here to say anything negative about XMR in anyway(in fact while I'm here, congrats devs on handling this attack well) but it's probably best just to stick to facts.
legendary
I guess the whole, it was around for 2 years but nobody ever knew anything about was pretty scammy and near impossible.

I guess the whole "it was around for two years but nobody ever knew anything" [thing] was pretty scammy and near impossible.

Yes, you are correct. James, I misunderstood and agree with your perspective. i will delete my post but the content of it remains here.
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511

legendary
It's a new codebase, and it was inherited from an unknown set of developers whose motivations, competence, and trustworthiness are unknown.

Motivations are unknown.

Competence is by this point somewhat known, and appears mixed.

Trustworthiness is well known and is anything but favorable.

Caveat emptor.
legendary
test https://mega.co.nz/#!qtUnhC5A!sJnKzPyj9gg0aFcoUZwtNhgjZVB3MHzc1zM6gjw win64 blockchain #203437 block

I am opposed to users taking this without a prior blessing from a core member.

No such blessing. I have no idea what that is, but I most certainly don't recommend downloading it.
legendary

Well, thanks, at least some recognition Grin

Are you Andrey Sabelnikov?  I know I've asked before, but it's interesting, and if you're not, it doesn't reduce your anonymity set significantly to say so.  Even Satoshi was willing to say that he is not Dorian Nakamoto.

At this point, unless you say that you are not, I will conclude that you are.  It in no way impugns your code, and I've done crazier things myself than those which Andrey is most famous for, so I don't think it should undermine confidence in your work, or the coin upon which you focus, if you are in fact Andrey.  It is open source, widely reviewed, and your work speaks for itself. 

(Frankly I think persistent anonymity is more dangerous to BBR than any colorful personal history could be.  That BBR is able to maintain as much value as it has (at least recently) despite the uncertainty overhang of your anonymity is a testament to the confidence placed in open source review, and in the quality of your work, a confidence which your identification could not feasibly undermine in a persistent material way.  But that's just my opinion.)

He doesn't have to answer that, of course.

Your point that anonymity raises trust and reputational risks is valid, but if he's willing to pay that price, it's his choice.

Some of us here on the Monero team are anonymous, at least mildly so. Arguably the project would benefit reputationally if more of us weren't, but that's a choice we make.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
XMR is exciting.

So much emotion and entertainment around.

Funny to see all the anti-XMR trolls out and about.

I'll be waiting to buy on a dip for XMR when trading opens.

Grin Grin Grin

Would be funny if we don't even see a dip  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
XMR is exciting.

So much emotion and entertainment around.

Funny to see all the anti-XMR trolls out and about.

I'll be waiting to buy on a dip for XMR when trading opens.

Grin Grin Grin
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

While I agree with you, you must admit that the trolls and hacks have created an environment of suspicion, and it is natural that the anonymous dev, for whom there is in fact a fair body of circumstantial evidence of participation in the original cryptonote implementation, should attract that suspicion.  I'm hoping that CZ will dispell some of the FUD around BBR.  If people frankly voice their concerns, they may be dispelled more promptly.  You help by rightly observing there is a lack of material evidence for this specific suspicion, but the factors which allow suspicion to fester in the background remain, and getting them aired out may disinfect.

When you have a couple hours, pop in The Candidate, starring Joan Allen.
Jump to: