Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1508. (Read 4670622 times)

pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
BBR will reach Monero's market cap sometime within the next few months. I have no idea if 1 or both coins will survive the next five years are what their "successes" will be. But James is a legit developer and everything he has put his mind to has come together and come together fast. I am a big holder of both coins, but there are going to be a lot of pissed off BTC whales in a few months about all this went down. Because this is going to hit them in their ego and their pocket books short term. Meanwhile, I'll happily ride both trains.

James seems legit: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8618574
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
BBR will reach Monero's market cap sometime within the next few months. I have no idea if 1 or both coins will survive the next five years are what their "successes" will be. But James is a legit developer and everything he has put his mind to has come together and come together fast. I am a big holder of both coins, but there are going to be a lot of pissed off BTC whales in a few months about all this went down. Because this is going to hit them in their ego and their pocket books short term. Meanwhile, I'll happily ride both trains.

pissed off BTC whales = oxymoron?

I rather doubt there are very many CryptoNote coin holders who don't have massively larger BTC stakes. Sure, there might be a few but they are the exception.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
legendary
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
3. Where's the "hasty generalization?"  All I said was that it's very nice to have two significantly different approaches for implementing CN.  Oh Noez, I said something nice about BBR!?  Quick, burn the witch!   Tongue

There is a conception, popular among a faction of open source advocates and articulated in the dark enlightenment, that democratic urges are dissipative, and the only viable forms of governance are, in the most extreme form at least, outright dictatorial. But there are many projects which have had great success in the free world which have had much more egalitarian, collegial meritocratic or consensus-driven governance than, e.g. Linux.   My impression is that an order of decreasing centralization of management would be:  BBR, Linux, BTC, XMR.  

It is natural and appropriate to defend the existing, well-working, management structure of XMR against ideologues influenced by dark enlightenment or other precepts.  The more distributed structure makes it more robust to some of the risks which more centralized structures entail.  

Trying to twist that into an antipathy to BBR is way out of line

I like you aminorex, because you surprise me with novel opinions and that's a rare talent.  EG, framing a BBR vs XMR debate in terms of DE's neo-royalism.  Wow, I did not expect that!  Kudos!   Cool

But I don't need to "twist" anything to demonstrate antipathy to BBR, because there's plenty of that here already:

I'm tired of all this Boolberry crap, the only reason anyone is pumping this junk is because the coins became 40 times cheaper than Monero and everyone now has huge stacks of these silly coins hoping to become rich, they are so worthless even I own thousands of Boolberry's, they cost such a small percent of my networth it made sense.

It would make me so happy for these Boolberry's to hit zero and never return, and these silly myths about the magnificent Zoidberg and the pumper James finally be laid to rest.

Canth, both coins are already winners in that they are very high profile and growing rapidly despite BTC being in a local downtrend.

We simply don't yet know at this time which one has superior merits, hence hedging.  Disclosure: I spend far more on XMR (in May) than I have on BBR and XCN combined.  So please don't pigeonhole me as a BBR partisan or an external enemy from outside of Cryptonote land.

My response to all of your cultish slings and arrows is this:

Narcissism of small differences

The narcissism of small differences is a term that describes 'the phenomenon that it is precisely communities with adjoining territories, and related to each other in other ways as well, who are engaged in constant feuds and ridiculing each other' – 'such sensitiveness [...] to just these details of differentiation'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Hmm, this BBR stuff is quickly going off-topic.
Activity: 588
Merit: 504
same here and profited. sorry (butthurt morons?) haters, hate on us/me all you want. IDC. Cheesy

Boolberry spiked because I pissed of James. The joke's on him though, I made so much money from that.

Pulling out the 'fuk tha h8ers hate on us all u want' card already, nice..   Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
XMR crashed -13%.   Wink

XMR is currently in a massive uptrend from 17 Aug.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
3. Where's the "hasty generalization?"  All I said was that it's very nice to have two significantly different approaches for implementing CN.  Oh Noez, I said something nice about BBR!?  Quick, burn the witch!   Tongue

There is a conception, popular among a faction of open source advocates and articulated in the dark enlightenment, that democratic urges are dissipative, and the only viable forms of governance are, in the most extreme form at least, outright dictatorial. But there are many projects which have had great success in the free world which have had much more egalitarian, collegial meritocratic or consensus-driven governance than, e.g. Linux.   My impression is that an order of decreasing centralization of management would be:  BBR, Linux, BTC, XMR.  

It is natural and appropriate to defend the existing, well-working, management structure of XMR against ideologues influenced by dark enlightenment or other precepts.  The more distributed structure makes it more robust to some of the risks which more centralized structures entail.  

Trying to twist that into an antipathy to BBR is way out of line.
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
ahh Picked up some monero today.

same here and profited. sorry (butthurt morons?) haters, hate on us/me all you want. IDC. Cheesy
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
ahh Picked up some monero today.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
Except that Zoidberg is a none trick poney, Linux has expert management skills.

The XMR/BBR sibling rivalry is adorable.  Sound like somebody is cranky because BBR spiked up +25% while XMR crashed -13%.   Wink

Boolberry spiked because I pissed of James. The joke's on him though, I made so much money from that.
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011

last thought - i know risto lives in a castle - but, what are the taxes like there, and what country does he live in?   Thanks! Cheesy  

http://cointelegraph.com/news/11883/3_words_you_didn_t_expect_to_see_together_bitcoin_castle_estonia
legendary
Activity: 1638
Give Smooth a break.  He's had to deal with the Monero scam thread, and now he's got James in his face.  The little victories give him the confidence boost he needs.

legendary
Maybe its changed recently but the biggest issue I had with BBR in the first few weeks of it and XMR existing was that BBR is entirely the work of a single developer. He certainly appears prolific and talented but to achieve and maintain growth in the marketplace I believe any coin reaches a point where it needs a team to manage it, and BBR's dev doesn't appear to be the sort of person to devolve responsibility. At some point I suspect it will go the way of many promising tech startups and falter when the key person can no longer juggle all the balls.

Both projects are open source, so anyone may contribute code.  It's very nice that we have two good, but significantly different, CN-based coins to choose from.  XMR represents the democratic, bottom-up approach.  BBR represents the top-down Benevolent Dictator For Life model that worked so well for Linus Torvald's UNIX.  I think both twins will be winners!

Let me pick apart the last statement without using any spelling/grammar nitpicks. "I think both twins will be winners!"

Over what period of time do you feel that BBR/XMR will both be winners? There is a cost to investing in two anoncoins - why would anyone pick the one with fewer merits over the long run? IMO, one coin will grab the majority of the market share until something superior displaces it entirely.
legendary
I'm tired of all this Boolberry crap, the only reason anyone is pumping this junk is because the coins became 40 times cheaper than Monero and everyone now has huge stacks of these silly coins hoping to become rich, they are so worthless even I own thousands of Boolberry's, they cost such a small percent of my networth it made sense.

If anyone is wondering, I angered James in the Boolberry thread and he pumped the coin up, I say thankyou for that, because now I have even more Monero and still enough Boolberry to ride your supernetwork IPO and make even more Monero.

It would make me so happy for these Boolberry's to hit zero and never return, and these silly myths about the magnificent Zoidberg and the pumper James finally be laid to rest.

But please, James, pump and pump, I can't lose.
legendary

The XMR/BBR sibling rivalry is adorable.  Sound like somebody is cranky because BBR spiked up +25% while XMR crashed -13%.   Wink
legendary
Linus Torvald's UNIX.

1. It is Torvalds not Torvald.

2. It is Linux not UNIX.

3. Linus Torvalds is one of very few individual developers who successfully made the transition to leader and manager of a very large and very successful project. Avoid hasty generalization.

1.  Sorry for putting the apostrophe in the wrong place.  Thanks Spelling Nazi.   Roll Eyes

2. Linux = Linus Torvalds UNIX

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Below is a copy of the continuous errors I am now getting.  I believe it had been posted a few days ago but I don't remember what was said.

2014-Aug-31 23:09:44.401790 [P2P3]ERROR ..\..\src\cryptonote_core\tx_pool.cpp:91
 transaction fee is not enough: 0.009000000000, minumim fee: 0.100000000000
2014-Aug-31 23:09:44.401790 [P2P3]Transaction verification failed: <7f1da07abb12
057c0dda36cc22b5889e5e621374df9fa894b64f0ca8e2c6dcf0>
2014-Aug-31 23:09:44.417415 [P2P3][212.175.132.210:53944 INC]Tx verification fai
led, dropping connection

These errors are normal and 100% harmless. They simply mean that you were connected to a peer running an obsolete version, and your node detected that and dropped the connection. If necessary your node will also find a new peer to replace the dropped connection. The messages should decrease in frequency over time.

Reply to previous reply: No need for craneo-rectal extraction at this time.

legendary
Maybe its changed recently but the biggest issue I had with BBR in the first few weeks of it and XMR existing was that BBR is entirely the work of a single developer. He certainly appears prolific and talented but to achieve and maintain growth in the marketplace I believe any coin reaches a point where it needs a team to manage it, and BBR's dev doesn't appear to be the sort of person to devolve responsibility. At some point I suspect it will go the way of many promising tech startups and falter when the key person can no longer juggle all the balls.

Both projects are open source, so anyone may contribute code.  It's very nice that we have two good, but significantly different, CN-based coins to choose from.  XMR represents the democratic, bottom-up approach.  BBR represents the top-down Benevolent Dictator For Life model that worked so well for Linus Torvald's UNIX.  I think both twins will be winners!

legendary
Drooling Masses update.

After much trepidation about updating due to never having done so before, I just successfully did so.  Windows 8.1, what else would The Drooling Masses have, and it couldn't have been easier.  The deleted p2pstate.bin has recreated itself but not the poolstate.bin.  I haven't closed the daemon yet so maybe it has yet to happen.  Also the "seed" command didn't work before updating and now it works.  My coins are safe and sound.  Below is a copy of the continuous errors I am now getting.  I believe it had been posted a few days ago but I don't remember what was said.

The errors you are seeing are peers trying to send transactions with a < 0.1 XMR tx fee. Your client is rejecting them, as it should be. No cause for alarm. (someone with more experience correct me if I've got my head up my ass)
Jump to: