Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1610. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0
And yes AES-NI is already widely deployed.

My understanding is Intel has been on 22nm while ASICs have been 28 or 40nm (?), so Intel has inherent advantage if they decide to make a ubiquitously used instruction more efficient. As encryption becomes more used on everyone's computer, Intel is going to have an economic incentive to make AES-NI (and perhaps SHA-2?) more efficient.

You're right in that the AES-NI unit on Intel CPUs will be faster than on any ASIC, but you'll never have thousands of such units on a CPU as you could have on dedicated ASICs.

Thousands of AES units won't do anything for you. This is not a Bitcoin-style PoW using AES (as a hash function) instead of SHA. Most of the Intel chip is being used for mining. In fact one might surmise (in part of course) that the algorithm was designed by looking at the layout of an Intel CPU and working backwards from there.

Ah, that's interesting, I wasn't aware. Thanks for explaining!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Obviously there is no need as there is with btc to have multiple wallets in order to not reveal your stash, but are there reasons to have multiple wallets for Monero?  I would feel funny having a large amount in any one place but don't know if that feeling is based on reality.
No reason for privacy I think, but the obvious usage of several wallets is to have several layers of security. Smartphone, laptop, cold strorage... with increasing amounts on them.

There can still be some type of privacy issues. For example, let's say you have that 5000 output yourself, and you send 100 XMR to someone. That person will be able to see that you broke up a 5000 output into 100 and 4000+900 (change), so the recipient will know that you have/had 5000.  

In the future I would expect that wallets will optionally do some kind of auto-splitting to avoid this (breaking up the 5000 into smaller pieces -- which will be unlinkable by anyone including the recipient -- before sending the 100). The technology will continue to improve.

For now, if you are interested in extreme privacy you may want multiple wallets (say one for long term storage in larger amounts, one for routine transactions, etc.)

Could one also prevent this by making smaller transfers to your wallet - 100, 200 XMR each time in order to build up a large supply of outputs?

It isn't documented (other than the source) how the wallet chooses which outputs to use. If you can be sure that it the smaller ones, that would work. But you would still have to be careful not to run out of small outputs, at which point the wallet would happily just go ahead and grab your big 5000 output with no warning at all. A separate wallet would make this safer. But again I expect more streamlined solutions in the future.

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Obviously there is no need as there is with btc to have multiple wallets in order to not reveal your stash, but are there reasons to have multiple wallets for Monero?  I would feel funny having a large amount in any one place but don't know if that feeling is based on reality.
No reason for privacy I think, but the obvious usage of several wallets is to have several layers of security. Smartphone, laptop, cold strorage... with increasing amounts on them.

There can still be some type of privacy issues. For example, let's say you have that 5000 output yourself, and you send 100 XMR to someone. That person will be able to see that you broke up a 5000 output into 100 and 4000+900 (change), so the recipient will know that you have/had 5000.  

In the future I would expect that wallets will optionally do some kind of auto-splitting to avoid this (breaking up the 5000 into smaller pieces -- which will be unlinkable by anyone including the recipient -- before sending the 100). The technology will continue to improve.

For now, if you are interested in extreme privacy you may want multiple wallets (say one for long term storage in larger amounts, one for routine transactions, etc.)

Could one also prevent this by making smaller transfers to your wallet - 100, 200 XMR each time in order to build up a large supply of outputs?
legendary

My understanding is Intel has been on 22nm while ASICs have been 28 or 40nm (?), so Intel has inherent advantage if they decide to make a ubiquitously used instruction more efficient. As encryption becomes more used on everyone's computer, Intel is going to have an economic incentive to make AES-NI (and perhaps SHA-2?) more efficient.

You're right in that the AES-NI unit on Intel CPUs will be faster than on any ASIC, but you'll never have thousands of such units on a CPU as you could have on dedicated ASICs.

Thousands of AES units won't do anything for you. This is not a Bitcoin-style PoW using AES (as a hash function) instead of SHA. Most of the Intel chip is being used for mining. In fact one might surmise (in part of course) that the algorithm was designed by looking at the layout of an Intel CPU and working backwards from there.
Activity: 50

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Because people send xmr to polo by small amounts, so the polo wallet may need a large number of inputs to build the big amount withdrawal. I don't know if there's a limit with monero, for bitcoin I think it is 200 inputs.

Didn't poloniex enabled the transaction auto-split fix by now?

Am I correct to assume that if you are sent 500 XMR that is comprised of many inputs, that once you receive it it is now one input and you will have no problem sending it anywhere?
Correct. The numerous unspent ouptuts are "destroyed" and you end up with only one bigger.

Obviously there is no need as there is with btc to have multiple wallets in order to not reveal your stash, but are there reasons to have multiple wallets for Monero?  I would feel funny having a large amount in any one place but don't know if that feeling is based on reality.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Because people send xmr to polo by small amounts, so the polo wallet may need a large number of inputs to build the big amount withdrawal. I don't know if there's a limit with monero, for bitcoin I think it is 200 inputs.

Am I correct to assume that if you are sent 500 XMR that is comprised of many inputs, that once you receive it it is now one input and you will have no problem sending it anywhere?

Obviously there is no need as there is with btc to have multiple wallets in order to not reveal your stash, but are there reasons to have multiple wallets for Monero?  I would feel funny having a large amount in any one place but don't know if that feeling is based on reality.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
I had seen some comments saying XMR was having a hard time a few weeks ago with large tx because of all the inputs.

Here's a big one:

http://monerochain.info/tx/3bdad88fbb2fef74bd7491ea75cc4eff5ca5e6e04ffd2be7aa7b6dcf3bd0089f

201 inputs for a 5,000 output. So is it safe to say this is no longer an issue?

The number of inputs used in a tx depends on the unspent outputs available to you (ie. what's been received and is in your utxoset). A lot of this came from pools sending dust to miners, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't occur if you charged 25 XMR for something, and 200 people bought, and then you wanted to move the 5k XMR somewhere. It would require 200 inputs.

Bitcoin can have similarly large transactions, and that's just fine: https://blockchain.info/tx/574d77eb277974ca1000b154023940c3e366d5bf4dd06b7fe3b0d92eea54e0c7

Yeah makes sense.
I was just curious if there was an issue sending tx with large amounts of XMR as that's what Poloniex mods had said a while back, and to send less than 1000 xmr at a time. If they were incorrect, I'm happy Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
I had seen some comments saying XMR was having a hard time a few weeks ago with large tx because of all the inputs.

Here's a big one:

http://monerochain.info/tx/3bdad88fbb2fef74bd7491ea75cc4eff5ca5e6e04ffd2be7aa7b6dcf3bd0089f

The number of inputs used in a tx depends on the unspent outputs available to you (ie. what's been received and is in your utxoset). A lot of this came from pools sending dust to miners, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't occur if you charged 25 XMR for something, and 200 people bought, and then you wanted to move the 5k XMR somewhere. It would require 200 inputs.

Bitcoin can have similarly large transactions, and that's just fine: https://blockchain.info/tx/574d77eb277974ca1000b154023940c3e366d5bf4dd06b7fe3b0d92eea54e0c7

Yeah makes sense.
I was just curious if there was an issue sending tx with large amounts of XMR as that's what Poloniex mods had said a while back, and to send less than 1000 xmr at a time. If they were incorrect, I'm happy Smiley
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

Here's a big one:

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

Here's a big one:

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Sure it does. It's 6 months experience for free Tongue Thanks.

Also, how can I help getting monero on track? I'm planning on donating to the dev team when I get some spare money, and the Portuguese mnemonic word list is already under way so I don't know what else I can do...

At the moment most of the urgent / important tasks require an in-depth knowledge of cryptography and C / C++, but as things progress there will be things that will come up that will require more soft skills. As and when we have a need for that we will definitely put the call out:)
If this is not something you can apply for, you can spread the word around about Monero as being a serious coin. Target newcomers in alt first - so much pump and dumps where newcomers get scammed.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

Also, we're wondering if we should listen to such comments and actually stop doing campaigns like this one. Please make your opinion known: if most of you guys actually don't like this campaign, we are prepared to comply. Otherwise we shall probably continue with it.

Also, we wanted to remind you that our 'Monero2TheMoon' and Usability Improvement and Bug Reporting campaigns are still underway.

I am fine with the campaigns and as long as you keep the marketing side reasonable and non spammy I say let people vote with their XMR/BTC.  I personally trade on your exchange and poloniex.
Activity: 19
hen i tranfer some conis to Bter exchange plartform,I encounterd the following error:
Error: transaction was rejected by daemon with status "Failed"

Can anyone tell me what happen,How should I do

Thanks a lot
Activity: 42
Hello, dear members of the community!

We are happy to announce the winners of our 'Pump Luke to the Moon' campaign! The 100 XMR rewards will be sent to the people who made these two deals:

July 18: at the price of 0.004976 at 10:33:41.045
July 19: at the price of 0.004888 at 21:44:09.451

equipoise, congratulations if it was you, and thanks for participation!

Also, we're wondering if we should listen to such comments and actually stop doing campaigns like this one. Please make your opinion known: if most of you guys actually don't like this campaign, we are prepared to comply. Otherwise we shall probably continue with it.

Also, we wanted to remind you that our 'Monero2TheMoon' and Usability Improvement and Bug Reporting campaigns are still underway.

Sincerely, Hitbtc team.

https://i.imgur.com/idmcfuY.png

It looks like a nice promo campaign.
Maybe I'll participate there, if you'd continue campaign. But what do others think?
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Hola Moneritos y Moneritas,
Here is a simple Monero vanity address generator that I wrote in Python:
https://github.com/jwinterm/SimpleVanity
It's pretty slow, but it works, here is a 'jw' address I generated last night:
Code:
48jwL1EJ8dSbpnrffpJrH8PAkdr8KNZ49H2nQvWtefxjbzuujcX3kbCjXexK1GLbHoHJ2LAuiBduUGMK5KYUPDL67ts2vzz
It only took a little over 6000 attempts before I generated this one Smiley
Activity: 525
Merit: 250
Hello, dear members of the community!

We are happy to announce the winners of our 'Pump Luke to the Moon' campaign! The 100 XMR rewards will be sent to the people who made these two deals:

July 18: at the price of 0.004976 at 10:33:41.045
July 19: at the price of 0.004888 at 21:44:09.451

equipoise, congratulations if it was you, and thanks for participation!

Sincerely, Hitbtc team.

Activity: 42
Hehe. Started mining on Friday. Finished today in the morning (CET). Nothing. Cool
My Lenovo notebook is too weak. But it was like a joke with a small hope to mine something.

So: is there are any information on which hardware it is better to mine XMR? I have some AMD videocards 77xx, 79xx or CPU mining is preferred here?

You should not mine on your own, but join a pool. on your own you might get block in about a year, doubt your patience will last that long. There are many threads here how to join pools and start mining. And many times some pool owners will even help you with some problems you might have.
I never mined anything in past and 2 months ago stated cpu mine XMR, i got set in a day. was following this thread here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annxmr-one-click-monero-miner-613072

There might be better tutorials nowadays.

Just do it, you will not get rich in short time but you wil learn something new.
Thank you.
Jump to: