Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1613. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I read your brief of your history in Crypto just now on polo trollbox. 6 months, huh?

You all in monero now or keep some change to trade?

Just trying to learn from experience...  Wink
Yes, I arrived in January 2014, after I finished writing my master's thesis. The worst thing is I wanted to join for one year... Sad

I am not all in Monero, I have other altcoins. But my next fiat is planned to be mostly Monero. If you plan to trade, have some BTC left for dumps. Or else short. But I am terrible at both. I'd say 60% of my money is on monero (depend on valuation) and the rest in other alts, all PoS save for some Zetacoin - NOBL, MINT, HBN, CAP, PHS, TEK, GRW, HYP.

I don't think this will help you in anyway, but hey, here it is Smiley
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
The thing is. I'm not very BTC wealthy (nor fiat wealthy either lol) and I would like get a feeling of if it was possible to gamble part of my monero in an initial oscilation in price.

But I guess its difficult to guess, huh?
Exactly the same situation. And talking from experience, don't short XMR if you're not good at trading. Just wait for XMR to equal BTC. Could take a couple of years.

David,

I read your brief of your history in Crypto just now on polo trollbox. 6 months, huh?

You all in monero now or keep some change to trade?

Just trying to learn from experience...  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
blockchain is 1,6 GB ? Is that a joke ?

No, that is correct. It's about 1.7 GB here. It does depend a bit on the platform, but 1.6 GB seems in the right ballpark.

Some amount of that is database bloat (the same data being stored more than once) and can be improved with a better database implementation. The chart on monerochain records the actual size of blockchain data, currently 738 MB.
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

No, that is correct. It's about 1.7 GB here. It does depend a bit on the platform, but 1.6 GB seems in the right ballpark.
xa4
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
http://redd.it/2b7gpd

Vitalik Buterin answers a question about anonymity on the Ethereum subreddit and mentions the cryptonote protocol. Someone could program the protocol on the ethereum network ... I wonder, if this is done, would we have another 'altnote' ? Maybe someone could port the whole Monero codebase to ethereum and make some sort of extended monerochain ?  
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
After the pool dust problem was fixed it's currently growing with ~10 MB a day: http://monerochain.info/charts/bcsize
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
^I think I won it on 19th with this buy, but still nothing officially:
Jul 19, 21:44:09.451   217868627   XMR\BTC   Buy   0.01/0.01   0.004888   0.004888   0.00004888 BTC   Filled

cool!  Cool but you're right, we'll have to wait for the offical announcement first
Activity: 794
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
^I think I won it on 19th with this buy, but still nothing officially:
Jul 19, 21:44:09.451   217868627   XMR\BTC   Buy   0.01/0.01   0.004888   0.004888   0.00004888 BTC   Filled
Activity: 28
The two people who will buy Monero at our exchange at the highest price until today’s and tomorrow’s midnight UTC will get a 100 XMR reward!

so, is this contest still active guys or what?
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
What are the biggest possible amount of coins that can be sent in a transfer? 100 coins? 200 coins?

i think it depends on your mixin level and the wallet balance.

transfer 0 could send just about anything but it is not good for the anonymity

i usually break up my transactions in to smaller amounts like 100-200 coins with a mixin of 3

It's really situation dependent. The limiting factor is not the number of coins but the number of bytes when all is said and done. This depends on how many inputs you need to sum up to construct the desired output. So if you have a lot of dust in your wallet and you're trying to send an oddly specific amount, you may find you can't even send 1 XMR *. On the other hand you can easily send several thousand XMR in one tx if you happen to have a previous output of that value lying around.

* This is fixed by transaction splitting. There are also dust cleanup plans ahead.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
What are the biggest possible amount of coins that can be sent in a transfer? 100 coins? 200 coins?

i think it depends on your mixin level and the wallet balance.

transfer 0 could send just about anything but it is not good for the anonymity

i usually break up my transactions in to smaller amounts like 100-200 coins with a mixin of 3
legendary
Activity: 1456
Thanks!

Where is the blockchain saved on my PC, should it be in the directory with the executables?  Whats the file name?  Size?

Thanks!

In Windows, it is in AppData/Roaming/Bitmonero and in Linux ~/.bitmonero.
Kindly,
      MZ
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
Where is the blockchain saved on my PC, should it be in the directory with the executables?  Whats the file name?  Size?

Thanks!

In Windows, it is in AppData/Roaming/Bitmonero and in Linux ~/.bitmonero.
Kindly,
      MZ
legendary
Activity: 1456
Where is the blockchain saved on my PC, should it be in the directory with the executables?  Whats the file name?  Size?

Thanks!
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I would like to use monero with tails.

Is there an ELI5 already?

Tails already pushes all traffic through Tor, so it should "just work". If you're not terribly comfortable mucking around in the command-line, I'd wait a little until we have a release with more ELI5-level usability:)
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Does Monero require the whole blockchain to detect double spending and the balances of accounts?

Yes - it builds up a set of already spent key images from the blockchain. You can't know the balances of anyone else's accounts except yours.
Activity: 18
Does Monero require the whole blockchain to detect double spending and the balances of accounts?
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
The thing is. I'm not very BTC wealthy (nor fiat wealthy either lol) and I would like get a feeling of if it was possible to gamble part of my monero in an initial oscilation in price.

But I guess its difficult to guess, huh?
Exactly the same situation. And talking from experience, don't short XMR if you're not good at trading. Just wait for XMR to equal BTC. Could take a couple of years.
Activity: 784
Merit: 272
whats the view on anon coins and the proposed NY regulations?  If they get applied there, it won't be long before other states copy them and apply them.

there is a section, s200, on those that issue, administer and control coins needing to register for licences.

Monero is not aiming to be in compliance with the regulations I suppose Wink

edit: however, this could mean that the devs (if their identities will be known) could possibly not be allowed to enter the US.  Undecided
Don't know if this also would apply to David, the spokesman...

Is a negative response towards anonymous currencies from governments and law enforcement a threat to Monero? How will Monero respond to criticism of anonymity?

David – First by not being anonymous if you don’t want to. Monero is private by default, optionally transparent (just like cash!) – the details of individual transactions, or even of an entire wallet, can be revealed publicly or privately. Plus, the developpers are publicly accessible. You can Google my name and the French and South Africa governments could knock at our door if they need someone to talk to. We play fair with everyone, governments included.

source: http://www.coinssource.com/monero-interview/

Many are concerned, especially mining pools

http://www.coindesk.com/nabc-day-1-bitcoin-us-regulation/
Jump to: