Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1720. (Read 4670614 times)

Activity: 119
Merit: 10
Failure to cross-platform serialize was an internal failure from the ByteCoin code, hence we updated our codebase to include mnemonic seeds to generate keys that function easily across platforms.

Unfortunately, we inherited a lot of bad code, but we're doing our best to fix it now.

Consider rewrite Monero from scratch on Haskell Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Other teams like boolberry try to implement shit-features over unchecked copy-paste source code of bytecoin (being first cryptonote try-implemenation).
In general, I agree with your comment, but on this point I must differ.  There are some interesting and useful features in bbr, and crypto_zoidberg is a top-notch developer.  I don't see a need to own any bbr, but I think it's a cool project, and can see why someone might want to participate in it more than I do, on that basis.  Anyhow, there are better threads for discussing other coins.

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
1000 blocks downloaded, 103k to go  Lips sealed
If this does not get the thing to work, I DON'T care if it would be even a golden coin.
Dev team should think about it BEFORE they even started publishing anything.
And if dev team fails - success is equal to zero.

Failure to cross-platform serialize was an internal failure from the ByteCoin code, hence we updated our codebase to include mnemonic seeds to generate keys that function easily across platforms.

Unfortunately, we inherited a lot of bad code, but we're doing our best to fix it now.
If this does not get the thing to work, I DON'T care if it would be even a golden coin.

Decentrolized anonimity is very dufficult fundamental feature. Before saying that, just try to understand cryptonote protocol in context of various types of attacks.

Give developers TIME to do what you wish - they DO KNOW about the problem.

But again, with official 64-bit blockchain.bin being downloaded, and 64-bit binaries being running - I confirm on 3 different computers - all works fine!
Slow, yes, but quite perfectly, believe.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
I'm a Firestarter!
So, looks like I'll have to download entire blockchain, as I do not want to change my system.
If that does not works, will have to move to other coin that is not that buggy.

Sure, I did it immediately, if there were fundamental candidates. But Monero is most fundamental coin to the day. Not only it is strictly anonymous, it has double-spend proof even in case 51% attack.

Among other cryptonote coins, Monero devs focused on make the coin conservatively robust and durable. Other teams like boolberry try to implement shit-features over unchecked copy-paste source code of bytecoin (being first cryptonote try-implemenation).

On the psychological level, imagine, may coin with name "boolberry" or "phantomcoin" be the #2 in the world after bitcoin? NO.

Monero CAN if devs will be sequentially active and accurate. It CAN be #1 due to fundamental Bitcoin problems.
Activity: 250
Merit: 100
The Future Of Work
So, looks like I'll have to download entire blockchain, as I do not want to change my system.

Are you having any issues the way you have it now?  If not, then you don't necessarily need to switch.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Tacotime & Fluffyponyza!

By make 32-bit-to-64-bit migration instructions sticky on 1st page of this thread and in other std. places (reddit, official site, etc.),
you save most of the newbies here!

Look how fast exe-file memory footprint moves close to 2-3Gb virtual address space boundary for 32-bit operating systems!

Other guys, migrate to 64-bit binaries if you can!

There is a setting you can change on windows to get 3gb and buy some time.
Tacotime & Fluffyponyza!

By make 32-bit-to-64-bit migration instructions sticky on 1st page of this thread and in other std. places (reddit, official site, etc.),
you save most of the newbies here!

Look how fast exe-file memory footprint moves close to 2-3Gb virtual address space boundary for 32-bit operating systems!

Other guys, migrate to 64-bit binaries if you can!
legendary
I'm a Firestarter!

you can't really lose anything if you backup your .bin.keys

32 and 64bit are different keys... not same - just tested on 64-bit Windows - can't load wallet.

That's correct. Serialization is not the same. You need to save your mnemonic phrase that's generated when you first create the wallet.

I had 32-bit wallet.bin, then I simply deleted it, but keep other wallet.* files, then I downloaded 64-bit monero binaries, and 64-bit blockchain.bin.
Then I started bitmonerod, and after full sync, started "simplewallet --wallet-file wallet.bin" (the name of file I've just deleted),

and voila! 64-bit simplewallet.exe re-creted new 64-bin wallet.bin for me (after I typed "exit").

Now I feel good with all my XMR coins with 64-bit monero binaries under 64-bit Windows!
legendary

32 and 64bit are different keys... not same - just tested on 64-bit Windows - can't load wallet.

The obvious answers here are:

1.  Set up 64bit wallet, transfer coins.
2.  Use deterministic wallet, wait for seed fixes in binaries, restore from seed on 64bit system.

BACKUP AND ENCRYPT EVERYTHING ALONG THE WAY

There's a branch that fixes restore here:
https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/restore-fix

So you can restore wallets from mnemonic phrases properly if you compile that on whatever system.
Activity: 259
Merit: 250
This is pretty much the manifestation of my concerns in one post. XMR needs to be so easy to use that we no longer need to watch this forum for help from people trying to do basic things like store their money in a wallet or transfer it. The faster Monero reaches that level of one click usability, the more likely it will be that it succeeds.

Keep your eyes open, fellas.
I am an investor who has bought heavily into xmr.
I asked a question in this thread, and didn't get an answer.
You guys have to be on the aert for the opportunity to reach out to people like me.
I asked a question that was so simple it was apparently worth ignoring in the high level discussion going on here.
If I can't get up to speed on the wallet I then must choose between leaving my holdings on an exchange into the indeterminate future or dumping, which is bad for me and bad for everybody else.
Please make monero useful to people who know less than you do.  It shouldn't be beneath you to give a beginner a helping hand.

As a new (long term) investor, I see anonymity as Monero's USP. Winning over hearts and minds that Crytonote is the 'go to' protocol for anonymous transactions has to be the coins priority and will determine whether or not Monero succeeds - not whether the coin is 'one click' user-friendly two, three or six months after beta release!

I wouldn't consider myself particularly computer savvy however I've been able to set up wallets on a mac and pc, transfer funds between wallets, exchanges etc., with little problem, so I don't see too many issues in that regard. GUI would be nice but not a deal breaker at this early stage.

Greater usability, better branding, fancy websites (!?!) and most of the other things people complain about can (and will) come later (for all coins).

Remember we are dealing with the birth of (potentially) breakthrough technology. At this stage, getting it right is more important than getting people 'on board'.

Make sure Monero has legs and can walk, before slapping on the make-up!  
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

The obvious answers here are:

1.  Set up 64bit wallet, transfer coins.
2.  Use deterministic wallet, wait for seed fixes in binaries, restore from seed on 64bit system.

BACKUP AND ENCRYPT EVERYTHING ALONG THE WAY
legendary

That's correct. Serialization is not the same. You need to save your mnemonic phrase that's generated when you first create the wallet.
legendary
I'm a Firestarter!

legendary
I'm a Firestarter!
You guys have to be on the alert for the opportunity to reach out to people like me.
I asked a question that was so simple it was apparently worth ignoring in the high level discussion going on here.
If I can't get up to speed on the wallet I then must choose between leaving my holdings on an exchange into the indeterminate future or dumping, which is bad for me and bad for everybody else.
Please make monero useful to people who know less than you do.  It shouldn't be beneath you to give a beginner a helping hand.

I agree a functional gui can't come soon enough, fortunately we have great candidates, meanwhile people can look at cli guides to use xmr, its not really that hard: https://monerotalk.org/t/bounty-create-a-useful-tutorial-on-how-to-setup-monero/13/4

encore encore!!

GUYS PLEASE SWITCH TO 64-bit MONERO, IF YOU CAN. BELIEVE ME, IT SOLVES MOST THE BUGS.

MEANWHILE, WE ALL WAIT FOR DEVS TO SWITCH TO EMBEDDED DATABASE.

Look man, there's money in that wallet, and there's more about to come, cause I'm mining, so I cannot lose it.
Get real!
You guys have to be on the alert for the opportunity to reach out to people like me.

I agree a functional gui can't come soon enough, fortunately we have great candidates, meanwhile people can look at cli guides to use xmr, its not really that hard: https://monerotalk.org/t/bounty-create-a-useful-tutorial-on-how-to-setup-monero/13/4

encore encore!!

GUYS PLEASE SWITCH TO 64-bit MONERO, IF YOU CAN. BELIEVE ME, IT SOLVES MOST THE BUGS.

MEANWHILE, WE ALL WAIT FOR DEVS TO SWITCH TO EMBEDDED DATABASE.

Updates:

• Pool updated to edge pool software and daemon.
  • Edge difficulty retarget improvements applied and running.
  • Pool now donating 0.1% to pool software development in order to provide excellent service in future.
  • Still low 0.75% fees.

People! Join pool http://hashinvest.net. I take care of this pool all the time. Stable pool with low 0.75% fee. Instant online support and payouts.

Nice web site - distinct instuctions - with clear NVidia/AMD miner download links - and simple profit calculator & "Support is online". Respect. Smiley

Activity: 143
Merit: 100
Pools: XMR.HashInvest.net

Updates:

• Pool updated to edge pool software and daemon.
  • Edge difficulty retarget improvements applied and running.
  • Pool now donating 0.1% to pool software development in order to provide excellent service in future.
  • Still low 0.75% fees.

People! Join pool http://hashinvest.net. I take care of this pool all the time. Stable pool with low 0.75% fee. Instant online support and payouts.
Jump to: