Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1721. (Read 4670614 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
This is pretty much the manifestation of my concerns in one post. XMR needs to be so easy to use that we no longer need to watch this forum for help from people trying to do basic things like store their money in a wallet or transfer it. The faster Monero reaches that level of one click usability, the more likely it will be that it succeeds.

Keep your eyes open, fellas.
I am an investor who has bought heavily into xmr.
I asked a question in this thread, and didn't get an answer.
You guys have to be on the alert for the opportunity to reach out to people like me.
I asked a question that was so simple it was apparently worth ignoring in the high level discussion going on here.
If I can't get up to speed on the wallet I then must choose between leaving my holdings on an exchange into the indeterminate future or dumping, which is bad for me and bad for everybody else.
Please make monero useful to people who know less than you do.  It shouldn't be beneath you to give a beginner a helping hand.

Thank you, Mumbles, for voicing these constructive concerns.  In my experience the core devs are quite diligent in monitoring these matters, and prioritize them carefully.  You can be assured that the software is progressing well, and the foundations for ease of use are already coming together, although the end applications will take a long time to achieve their full potential.  iPod usability is not something that just falls from the sky.  There is a lot of carefully managed complexity under the veneer of exquisitely designed usability.  I think that in XMR, so much is at stake that the happy end-point is quite sufficiently motivated.  You can have confidence that it will arrive, although perhaps not as quickly as you would like. Do please contribute your own efforts and other forms of support, including constructive criticism, on an ongoing basis!
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Again, your post certainly makes sense to me.

I would also point out that if more mundane and immediate threat scenarios are at such low ebb that we can actually think about these remote and theoretical (for the moment) issues, then we are in a very happy place.  (But then neither of us are active contributors, and hence may be blissfully unaware of code vulnerabilities which are a much more immediate and practical problem.)

I do have to comment that our happy place is quite possibly due to our ignorance, be that blissful moment now or any other point in time.

Grin

Activity: 276
Merit: 250
XMR moving up again  Grin
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
This is pretty much the manifestation of my concerns in one post. XMR needs to be so easy to use that we no longer need to watch this forum for help from people trying to do basic things like store their money in a wallet or transfer it. The faster Monero reaches that level of one click usability, the more likely it will be that it succeeds.

Keep your eyes open, fellas.
I am an investor who has bought heavily into xmr.
I asked a question in this thread, and didn't get an answer.
You guys have to be on the alert for the opportunity to reach out to people like me.
I asked a question that was so simple it was apparently worth ignoring in the high level discussion going on here.
If I can't get up to speed on the wallet I then must choose between leaving my holdings on an exchange into the indeterminate future or dumping, which is bad for me and bad for everybody else.
Please make monero useful to people who know less than you do.  It shouldn't be beneath you to give a beginner a helping hand.
Activity: 119
Merit: 10
GUYS PLEASE SWITCH TO 64-bit MONERO, IF YOU CAN. BELIEVE ME, IT SOLVES MOST THE BUGS.

MEANWHILE, WE ALL WAIT FOR DEVS TO SWITCH TO EMBEDDED DATABASE.
Also on 64 bit system with 4 gb ram fx8320 ssd it is bit laggy to save blockchain for now - my friend is angry when he try to save block chain on his notebook - it need to be solved!

It takes just a time, even on 64-bit systems, because in simple words, database is entirely being dumped on disk when you type exit at the bitmonerod.
The whole 1.3-1.5Gb database is being written on disk during exit!

But on 64 bit systems you just have to be patient, even of 3Gb or 4Gb of RAM. On 32-bit systems, bitmonerod may simply crush or be very very buggy.

For example, I have 64-bit notebook with ordinary HDD, and separate 64-bit computer with SSD.
On the notebook, I am being gritted teeth while type exit, on computer with SSD I just  breathe deeply. Smiley

copper member
Activity: 194
Guys, do not use 32-bit Monero binaries at all. While devs do not use embedded database, currently, all the blockchain.bin is loaded into memory. It is 1.3Gb now - it is dangeriously close to 2 to 3Gb virtual address space of a process on 32-bit operating systems.

How to easily switch to 64-bit binaries? I simply delete file wallet.bin, but keep other wallet.* files, and type at command prompt (64-bit binary):
simplewallet --wallet-file wallet.bin (that is just deleted).

Also, 64-bit blockchain.bin one can download from 1st sticky page of this thread. Simply put it in your monero directory (Windows):
C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Roaming\bitmonero, and start bitmonerod.exe.

Also on 64 bit system with 4 gb ram fx8320 ssd it is bit laggy to save blockchain for now - my friend is angry when he try to save block chain on his notebook - it need to be solved!
Activity: 259
Merit: 100
Guys, do not use 32-bit Monero binaries at all.

o0 What'A'Fuck? 0o

I have what i have, can't have better system for now, because of no fucking free FIAT ... You mean Monero is not for me Huh

Short answer - currently no, Monero not for you.

Long answer - Monero is for you, but you have to either:
1. Reinstall 64-bit Windows - your CPU does support 64-bit mode.
2. Wait for devs to implement using of embedded database - they planned it exactly to solve problem I mentioned above.

Waiting & crying ...

o0 What'A'Fuck? 0o

I have what i have, can't have better system for now, because of no fucking free FIAT ... You mean Monero is not for me Huh

Short answer - currently no, Monero not for you.

Long answer - Monero is for you, but you have to either:
1. Reinstall 64-bit Windows - your CPU does support 64-bit mode.
2. Wait for devs to implement using of embedded database - they planned it exactly to solve problem I mentioned above.
Activity: 259
Merit: 100

o0 What'A'Fuck? 0o

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
I'm a Firestarter!
Here is error message from daemon while tries to update:

2014-Jun-28 19:17:01.866210 [P2P1][76.16.120.82:18080 OUT]Sync data returned unknown top block: 105314 -> 105583 [269 blocks (0 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started

2014-Jun-28 19:17:02.200195 [P2P9]tx with id: <7498d444287287aac613fdc3fc46443dcca9834090659fd72d44397522059aaa> in block id: already in blockchain
2014-Jun-28 19:17:02.216796 [P2P9]Block with id: failed to add transaction to blockchain storage
2014-Jun-28 19:17:02.232421 [P2P9][79.169.141.249:18080 OUT]Block verification failed, dropping connection

You havent run out of space on your local drive have you, the blockchain needs about 1.5GB now, and the logs can get big if you are writing everything to a log file.

Also, FYI, the [P2Px] indicates each peer to peer connection, it will make up to ten of them usually but the peers are always reliable - you can get ones sending incorrect blocks or just disconnecting which will generate various messages from bitmonerod. As long as you have at least a couple of working P2P connections which are up to date then they will win out over the random incorrect ones.

No, my hard drive have about 700GiB free space.
Also, I have 3GB of memory, and the blockchain is only ~1.20, so my cpu is fine, just the message is repeating for a last few hours, and it was not take that long before.
It have to be something with a daemon that happened today, as the problem has started today.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250

2014-Jun-28 19:17:01.866210 [P2P1][76.16.120.82:18080 OUT]Sync data returned unknown top block: 105314 -> 105583 [269 blocks (0 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started

2014-Jun-28 19:17:02.200195 [P2P9]tx with id: <7498d444287287aac613fdc3fc46443dcca9834090659fd72d44397522059aaa> in block id: already in blockchain
2014-Jun-28 19:17:02.216796 [P2P9]Block with id: failed to add transaction to blockchain storage
2014-Jun-28 19:17:02.232421 [P2P9][79.169.141.249:18080 OUT]Block verification failed, dropping connection

You havent run out of space on your local drive have you, the blockchain needs about 1.5GB now, and the logs can get big if you are writing everything to a log file.

Also, FYI, the [P2Px] indicates each peer to peer connection, it will make up to ten of them usually but the peers are always reliable - you can get ones sending incorrect blocks or just disconnecting which will generate various messages from bitmonerod. As long as you have at least a couple of working P2P connections which are up to date then they will win out over the random incorrect ones.
Guys, do not use 32-bit Monero binaries at all. While devs do not use embedded database, currently, all the blockchain.bin is loaded into memory. It is 1.3Gb now - it is dangeriously close to 2 to 3Gb virtual address space of a process on 32-bit operating systems.

How to easily switch to 64-bit binaries? I simply delete file wallet.bin, but keep other wallet.* files, and type at command prompt (64-bit binary):
simplewallet --wallet-file wallet.bin (that is just deleted).

Also, 64-bit blockchain.bin one can download from 1st sticky page of this thread. Simply put it in your monero directory (Windows):
C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Roaming\bitmonero, and start bitmonerod.exe.

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
At that point, who is to say that the developer team would not be under their influence/thumb(s)?  In such a situation, as crypto-apocalyptic as it seems today, the simple act of forking the blockchain and changing the algo will definitely no longer be simple.

Seems we would likely have bigger problems at that point (war), likely waged quite stealthily and with extreme precision toward the intended targets.

Agreed.  That is a separate problem.  I would only encourage brainstorming solutions to that problem as well.  Being a globally distributed team supporting an open-source product does provide a high degree of defense in itself, but without some protocols it is definitely not sufficient in itself.  But I would prefer to deal with one of these at a time, personally, because I think progress is more likely that way.

I would also point out that if more mundane and immediate threat scenarios are at such low ebb that we can actually think about these remote and theoretical (for the moment) issues, then we are in a very happy place.  (But then neither of us are active contributors, and hence may be blissfully unaware of code vulnerabilities which are a much more immediate and practical problem.)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
I'm a Firestarter!

SYNCHRONIZATION started

Activity: 11
New pool, http://www.moneropool.net
Strong real dedicated server (not Amazon instance or so), 2% fee, no downtime, DDOS protected
Location? Payout treshold? admin's IRC nickname?

Server is located in Czech Republic, EU (100 mbps for now, upgradeable to much more, Tier1 Premium BW). Payout treshold is 0.1. You can reach me on same IRC nickname as on forum.
Latest pool software, latest daemon.

Actually, fee is 1.9% + 0.1% for developers.
Updated. And since you are donating, I put you on top of the list (other can do the same, of course). I suppose the 0.1% is for 45Jmf8PnJKziGyrLouJMeBFw2yVyX1QB52sKEQ4S1VSU2NVsaVGPNu4bWKkaHaeZ6tWCepP6iceZk8X hTLzDaEVa72QrtVh, right?

Not sure, I think it is hardcored in pool script and that script transfer that automatically to pool developers.
And as soon we achive better hashrate, we will donate to Monero developers as well.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
No - please see above.  It's not 2000, it's 50.\
You are correct of course.  I should always do my math on paper.  But even a factor of 40 is noise relative to the strategic point:  Reliance on a single algorithm (barring some feature of the algorithm which we have not anticipated here) will always be defeasible by NSA-scale resources.  It is not unreasonable to anticipate a warfare-scale budget being applied to the problem, if it were perceived as an existential threat.

If you have ever read about men such as Hoover, Nixon, Honecker, Cheney, Stalin, Kim Il-Sung (and these just a small sample from the span of a few short decades), you will understand why I say it is prudent to plan for the possibility that XMR may be considered an existential threat.  If XMR can scale to become the dominant provider of global networked private liquidity, it must cope with such threats.  If it can't, then why bother?

You are intelligent and foreseeing with your musings on the future of XMR.  

When you begin to mention the 3-letter organizations, nation-states, and famous leaders, it makes me think.  I cannot help but agree with you about the relative simplicity involved in changing algos.  But, when these types of organizations and leaders are involved, the resources at their disposal will of course be nearly infinite, in comparison to regular folks.  At that point, who is to say that the developer team would not be under their influence/thumb(s)?  In such a situation, as crypto-apocalyptic as it seems today, the simple act of forking the blockchain and changing the algo will definitely no longer be simple.

Seems we would likely have bigger problems at that point (war), likely waged quite stealthily and with extreme precision toward the intended targets.
Activity: 32
Could someone post binaries that works on amazon EC2 instance running ubuntu 64bit? I'm behind firewall and that's the only option to get ports open necessary to make my wallet sync. The syncing just keeps getting stuck otherwise. I cannot compile on Amazon, it kills the process, nor can I use the linux 64 binaries because of some illegal instruction.

Also, in the rare even the linux libraries actually work, THEY ARE COMPILED AGAINST LIBBOOST1.55 whereas most distros use libboost 1.54. If you don't have root privileges, which is quite likely, then you can't use the binaries
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I get Illegal instruction (core dumped) with the linux binaries, running 64 bit ubuntu. Any solution?
It is usually related with the binaries not being compatible with  your platform.

Compile by following these instructions: http://monero.cc/getting-started/#install_source
Activity: 32
I get Illegal instruction (core dumped) with the linux binaries, running 64 bit ubuntu. Any solution?
Jump to: