Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1717. (Read 4670614 times)

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Also, why don't use 0? I use 0 all the time. I don't really care about anonymity, so why use more than 0?
Do you want your dentist to know how much money you have so he could charge you more eventually? Do you want a concurrent business to know your balances and where you are spending your money (if your suppliers or contractors are also using 0)? Do you want someone to blackmail you knowing the exact balance of your wallet?

Edit: Privacy is a proper term instead of anonymity.
The higher mixin_count won't make your transaction slower, but it'll make it bigger (regarding to size in bites, not the amount sent). Generally bigger transaction -> higher fee (only if you pass the current transaction size limit because of dust from pools and then you need to send it with 2 or more smaller transactions). Don't use 0 - use at least 1. I'm using 5 most of the times.

I think I've heard that using mixin can lead to longer times for transactions, because you need to wait for other transactions with the same amounts to come into the mempool before it gets picked up in a block.

Also, why don't use 0? I use 0 all the time. I don't really care about anonymity, so why use more than 0?
This is not the case with XMR. This is the case with Bitcoin and clones mixing services. XMR is mixing directly with past transactions from the blockchain.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
The higher mixin_count won't make your transaction slower, but it'll make it bigger (regarding to size in bites, not the amount sent). Generally bigger transaction -> higher fee (only if you pass the current transaction size limit because of dust from pools and then you need to send it with 2 or more smaller transactions). Don't use 0 - use at least 1. I'm using 5 most of the times.

I think I've heard that using mixin can lead to longer times for transactions, because you need to wait for other transactions with the same amounts to come into the mempool before it gets picked up in a block.

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
When i try to run bitmonrod i get

Code:
./bitmonerod: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.55.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone else experienced this? any idea what to do?

seems like your libboost installation is fucked up. Maybe try to reinstall?

there are SO many of these libboost libraries. which one do you have installed specifically if you dont mind me asking?

when i search apt-cache for libboost-system i get the following

Code:
libboost-system-dev - Operating system (e.g. diagnostics support) library (default version)
libboost-system1.53-dev - Operating system (e.g. diagnostics support) library
libboost-system1.53.0 - Operating system (e.g. diagnostics support) library
libboost-system1.49-dev - Operating system (e.g. diagnostics support) library
libboost-system1.49.0 - Operating system (e.g. diagnostics support) library
libboost-system1.54-dev - Operating system (e.g. diagnostics support) library
libboost-system1.54.0 - Operating system (e.g. diagnostics support) library

none of these are libboost_system.so.1.55.0
legendary
When i try to run bitmonrod i get

Code:
./bitmonerod: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.55.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

seems like your libboost installation is fucked up. Maybe try to reinstall?
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
When i try to run bitmonrod on linux i get

Code:

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Hey everyone!

I would like to remind you about my 40 XMR bounty for creating a useful, beautiful and with screenshot annotated tutorial
on how to setup Monero for new users (download client, blockchain, create first wallet, sync, send money, ...) on Windows 7/8.

Only 2 days left to qualify. Register your username and post your tutorial on the new Monero Talk Forum.

Direct link:
https://monerotalk.org/t/bounty-create-a-useful-tutorial-on-how-to-setup-monero/13
^The command is:
Code:
transfer [payment_id]
is the number of transactions yours is indistinguishable from (from 0 to maximum available)
[payment_id] is needed when you send to the exchanges and you get it from the particular exchange. It's not needed when you send to your wallet or someone else (except if he want to identify if this payment is from you and he'll then give you 64 characters payment ID.
Do not add '<', '>', '[' or ']' in the command.
Example (a valid transfer command, which will send 1 XMR to me with a PaimentID 'bzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzz4'):
Code:
transfer 5 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2uNXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX 1 bzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzz4

Thank you
I don't undestand the mixin count what number i have to type? 0 or 5? I want to send XMR to Poloniex

the mixin is kind of the degree of anonymity, so unless you really want to be anonymous, just use mixin count=0; this will also make your transaction faster I think, the higher the mixin the longer the transaction might take.
Activity: 13
XMR Recent price instability  Huh
legendary
^The command is:
Code:
transfer [payment_id]
is the number of transactions yours is indistinguishable from (from 0 to maximum available)
[payment_id] is needed when you send to the exchanges and you get it from the particular exchange. It's not needed when you send to your wallet or someone else (except if he want to identify if this payment is from you and he'll then give you 64 characters payment ID.
Example (a valid transfer command, which will send 1 XMR to me with a PaimentID 'bzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzz4'):
Code:
transfer 5 4AyRmUcxzefB5quumzK3HNE4zmCiGc8vhG6fE1oJpGVyVZF7fvDgSpt3MzgLfQ6Q1719xQhmfkM9Z2uNXgDMqYhjJVmc6KX 1 bzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzzbzz4

Thank you
I don't undestand the mixin count what number i have to type? 0 or 5? I want to send XMR to Poloniex

the mixin is kind of the degree of anonymity, so unless you really want to be anonymous, just use mixin count=0; this will also make your transaction faster I think, the higher the mixin the longer the transaction might take.
legendary
Activity: 1036
^The command is:
Code:
transfer [payment_id]
Code:

Thank you
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
one neat feature is the aliasing. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have to solo a block to create an alias, but once you do, you can have people send their coins to @username, rather than some superlong string of alphanumeric characters.

This is reference example of as I say 'shit-feature'. Just look at vericoin, how many shit features it has, especially their version of
'anonimity'. Smiley

Let's keep the discussion factual.  First of all, both teams are making real progress where it counts:

Boolberry has contributed numerous code-level fixes to the inherited code from Bytecoin that have been later incorporated by the XMR team.

XMR has contributed numerous code-level fixes to that same code that have been / will probably be incorporated by Boolberry.

Boolberry has a working, cross-platform GUI.  XMR will soon as well, with several candidates being worked on.

Boolberry's "non-shit" changes, in your parlance, center primarily around mechanisms to keep the blockchain smaller over time by allowing some of the ring signature information in old transactions to be pruned after a period of time, and improvements to the mixing function to provide stronger assurances of anonymity.

Monero has triggered an explosion of awareness of both XMR and the cryptonote family more generally by providing the first available non-80%-premined implementation of the bytecoin codebase.

"Trash-talking" either BBR or XMR is, at this point, counterproductive:  It's very clear from their market behavior that people buying these coins are viewing them together as the leading options from a very interesting new family of coins.  They're not dumping XMR to buy BBR, or the opposite -- they're selling BTC (or, hopefully, some actual "shit coin" - grin) and buying either or both of them.

There's a lot more to be gained in cryptonote progress by pushing forward both the underlying CryptoNote technology and seeing if the differing feature sets of XMR and BBR help lead to further technological progress than by sniping from sockpuppet accounts.
Activity: 565
Merit: 500
The following is quoted from ducknotes thread, since I am not mining other coin except xmr, I hope someone do mine all three coins to confirm the comparison below or make comment on that:

For those who can`t see differences from other cryptonote coins - look at source code, check % of orphans in the network, check % of "bad shares" on pools, you will see that duckNote is a winner. Like

24 hours of mining with the same mining software and hardware gives:
4% of bad shares on Monero
2% of bad shares on Bytecoin
0.5% of bad shares on duckNote.

Orphans in above networks 6/2/1.

That has to do with the pool aswell as if the admin has updated. Monerpool.com for me has 2 orphans in the last 150 blocks (1,3% orphans) .
Bad share variance depends on server location , vardiff , your internet connection and 100 different other parameters.
How big is your sample size ? 1-2-7-30 days ?
^The command is:
Code:
transfer [payment_id]
Code:
legendary
Activity: 1036
What is the command to send monero?
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
is http://monero.crypto-pool.fr/# getting DDOSed again ?!?

No. We restarted the website API after doing some changes.
It's just the website, not the server. The connections aren't interrupted.

BTW we are at Pool Efficiency: 114%. Which mean that we find 14% more blocks than average pool or solominers. If we get such a good result, some are doing really bad.
Activity: 47
The following is quoted from ducknotes thread, since I am not mining other coin except xmr, I hope someone do mine all three coins to confirm the comparison below or make comment on that:

For those who can`t see differences from other cryptonote coins - look at source code, check % of orphans in the network, check % of "bad shares" on pools, you will see that duckNote is a winner. Like

24 hours of mining with the same mining software and hardware gives:
4% of bad shares on Monero
2% of bad shares on Bytecoin
0.5% of bad shares on duckNote.

Orphans in above networks 6/2/1.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Carpe Diem
Keep your eyes open, fellas.
I am an investor who has bought heavily into xmr.
I asked a question in this thread, and didn't get an answer.
You guys have to be on the alert for the opportunity to reach out to people like me.
I asked a question that was so simple it was apparently worth ignoring in the high level discussion going on here.
If I can't get up to speed on the wallet I then must choose between leaving my holdings on an exchange into the indeterminate future or dumping, which is bad for me and bad for everybody else.
Please make monero useful to people who know less than you do.  It shouldn't be beneath you to give a beginner a helping hand.

Man, don't just give up on this. You've gotta believe in the CryptoNote, not in Monero. A coin is transient, they will probably come and go in hundreds and what really matters is the groundbreaking technology underneath Bytecoin, Quazar, Fantom, XMR, etc. that will live on no matter what happens with all these currencies. Do you get it?
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
You can still doublespend with a 51% attack, nothing has changed about that attack vector
The 51% double-spend in either Bitcoin or CryptoNote is done by legitimizing a new chain after spending on the old chain. No scheme can prevent this because it outright replaces blockchain data. Networks are based on always trusting the longest chain.

In CryptoNote, the 51% attacker's new chain wouldn't have the spent key image so the DS would succeed. The DS proof mentioned in the whitepaper refers to spends on the same chain (51% attacks involve 2+ chains). Normally this wouldn't be worth mentioning since Bitcoin is also DS proof in the same sense, but CryptoNote's ring signatures are anonymous so preventing it isn't trivial. This is why they made a special mention of being DS proof, but it's not referring to a 51% attack situation.

Thank you guys, that was what I thought. Just more eloquent and succinct than I could have said it.

And now I also see where the misunderstanding that Cryptonote is resistant to a 51% attack appears to come from:

The guy didn't say anything near FUD.  He was talking about XMR's ability to reduce negative affects of 51% issues such as a double-spend flaw.  Here's the link and it has nothing to do with FUD but everything to do with the benefits of cryptonote (which includes XMR) https://cryptonote.org/inside.php#double-spend-proof

This also has more links to features of cryptonote: https://cryptonote.org/#

Hope that helps clear things up.

smh

In this respect, it actually doesn't help. This overview causes confusion. The people responsible for https://cryptonote.org/inside.php#double-spend-proof should amend that section. It should be explicitly stated that it talks about prevention of doublespends strictly on the same chain, that is, when there is no alternate blockchain attack (These are possible with a hashing power of less than 50% of the network by the way. See https://bitcoil.co.il/Doublespend.pdf).
People looking to invest in XMR read it when doing their due diligence and get wrong ideas, which they spread on the forums. Which in turn makes Monero look shady at first glance (making impossible promises raises red flags that it might be a scam).

Sorry if I looked like a FUDster, just a long time lurker with low post count who needed clarification

Well, it's not really so simple and a few eloquent spatterings which ignore the differences between Bitcoin and CryptoNote.  Nope, that really doesn't do justice to a discussion on how a 51% attack may actually be affected by improved features of CryptoNight.  The discussion really should delve into the whitepaper (and other sources) deeper: https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf

Really consider the outcome of the random oracle.  What does it mean when the argument for forgery in Bitcoin is overcome by a forgery resistant algorithm?  It means that there is much more to consider here and the argument for 51% jeopardy associated with CryptoNote is nowhere near settled.  What good is a forgery when the forger(s) themself/selves can't make out what exactly was forged?  I think that's the whole point of CryptoNote and a huge reason why it's so important.  It's a tangled mess that can't be undone and this is the beauty of this algorithm: it saves ourselves from ourselves.  It's also designed to be more forkable with lesser consequence.

What the whitepaper fails to do is really get into the cruches of such an algorithm.  It's hugely complicated and you can see the overhead immediately if you have ever used the wallet or began to download the blockchain.  However, I agree with the white paper's summation that more than one coin may serve viable purposes and can coexist based on their own merits. 
Jump to: