Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1847. (Read 4670606 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Deterministic wallet code has been rolled back due to cross platform issues

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/30
Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
bitmonero.org is run by thankful_for_today, the original creator of Bitmonero. The binaries may not work, because AFAIK they are based on a source that does not pay the new 0.005 XMR transaction fee. Also they will not have some bug fixes / features.

Stop with the FUD please.  Wink

It's not FUD. It's FACTs: he's not part of the core team. He's not even among the select few that works on peripheral projects according to the 2nd of June's missive. His site is not the official one. His binaries are not up to date. Why would anyone promote it ? Do you wanna be the one responsible in case someone wallet get corrupted or worse ?

If you want to download something, just do as Smooth said : use the OP. Otherwise, it's at your own risk.
OK, technically his site is the official one. How would those binaries be any more likely to corrupt the wallet? Everyone's supposed to keep backups anyway.
Activity: 723
Merit: 503
bitmonero.org is run by thankful_for_today, the original creator of Bitmonero. The binaries may not work, because AFAIK they are based on a source that does not pay the new 0.005 XMR transaction fee. Also they will not have some bug fixes / features.

It's not FUD. It's FACTs: he's not part of the core team. He's not even among the select few that works on peripheral projects according to the missive of June 2nd. His site is not the official one. His binaries are not up to date. Why would anyone promote it ? Do you wanna be the one responsible in case someone's wallet get corrupted or worse ?

If you want to download something, just do as Smooth said : use the OP. Otherwise, it's at your own risk.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Monero Missives

PS. If you've made it this far, there's a reward in the example wallet listed in the screenshot - first to grab it gets the prize!

- updated by fluffypony

I keep trying to import the seed but I get this error:

I've checked it so many times I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Running windows binaries.

I echo this error.  This IS from the full 24 word seed.
Activity: 560
"Trading Platform of The Future!"

Activity: 38
Merit: 0
Windows is definitely truncating the input you've typed - we'll figure it out and fix that within a day or two:)

Unfortunately someone swiped the prize already: http://monerochain.info/tx/3b6eacf65a4c87b281bd2feef76486867fb6cd474f1e0d5e312e8ed7301b5e29

Fast work, whoever that was!

Aww bummer, oh well. Good job who ever that was.

Anyways great work guys, I'm really impressed with the progress so far.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Monero Missives

PS. If you've made it this far, there's a reward in the example wallet listed in the screenshot - first to grab it gets the prize!

- updated by fluffypony

I've checked it so many times I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Running windows binaries.

Windows is definitely truncating the input you've typed - we'll figure it out and fix that within a day or two:)

Unfortunately someone swiped the prize already: http://monerochain.info/tx/3b6eacf65a4c87b281bd2feef76486867fb6cd474f1e0d5e312e8ed7301b5e29

Fast work, whoever that was!
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
Monero Missives

Hello XMR users! Welcome to our second Monero Missives.

Great news guys!
Activity: 252
Any pools available that have the option for lump withdraws? Trying to avoid micropayments.

Comes as standard with cryptonotepool.org.uk currently, hash rate is so low you are guaranteed a decent size payment when block is found Smiley Should have improved the orphan rate since the last trio, being honest so havent flushed the database since last set of updates.
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
Amazing developments guys!  Grin
Activity: 38
Monero Missives

- updated by fluffypony

https://i.imgur.com/EvmjNfc.jpg

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Just a quick note: it looks like the seed is getting truncated on some Windows command prompts. Count the number of words when you're writing it down, if you don't have 24 check the log to make sure. We'll make it hard-wrap in the next few days rather than letting command prompt handle the wrapping.
Activity: 56
Quote from: monero
3. Monero will be officially represented by fluffypony at the Bitcoin Supernode Conference at Malla Castle in Estonia at the end of this month.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Really great news!
Activity: 770
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
How many do you have  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Any big holders? How many 25k+ holders are out there?

Impossible to tell because the blockchain is obfuscated (unless people give their viewkeys)
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
Any big holders? How many 25k+ holders are out there?
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Any pools available that have the option for lump withdraws? Trying to avoid micropayments.
Activity: 994
Merit: 507

Wish I was home to import some keys! Wink
Activity: 54
Merit: 257
Monero Missives

June 10th, 2014

Hello XMR users! Welcome to our second Monero Missives.

Major Updates

1. We're happy to introduce a major new feature for Monero: deterministic wallets based on a mnemonic seed! When creating a new wallet you now get a 24 word seed that you can use to restore the wallet:

Usage: This affects simplewallet, and is the default behaviour for --generate-new-wallet. If you would like to disable the deterministic seed during wallet generation, you can pass the --non-deterministic flag. To restore from a seed you can use the --restore-deterministic-wallet flag.

This provides a MAJOR benefit in that backing up your wallet no longer requires backing up the .bin.keys file! All you have to do is write down the 24 words and that's the only backup you need. If you're particularly brave you can even memorise the 24 words. You can also use this to create an offline cold wallet or a paper wallet: create a wallet on a computer disconnected from the Internet, write the 24 words and the address and the view key down, and then remove all the files created by the wallet.

Security notes: Please note that this key is independent of your password. By default the 24 word key is written to simplewallet.log when the wallet is created. This is the expected behaviour, the next release will both exclude this from the log and reduce the default log level. Please run --generate-new-wallet with the --set_log 0 flag, or alternatively make sure to delete the simplewallet.log file afterwards.

Technical details: The key length for this remains 256-bits and thus does not compromise user security. The view key seed is generated from a keccak1600 hash of the spend key (which is directly from the mnemonic seed), hence the deterministic nature of this. The non-deterministic method is still available as an option.

How to get it: binaries in the OP have already been updated, or you can compile from the source on github.

Moving to a deterministic wallet: unfortunately it's not possible to retroactively make an existing wallet deterministic. If you want to take advantage of the new feature, you will have to create a new wallet and move your funds in there.

2. XMR is now on Mintpal for voting. You can find the voting link here: https://www.mintpal.com/voting#XMR - Mintpal allows 1 vote an hour from registered users who have traded before, as well as paid-for votes.

3. Monero will be officially represented by fluffypony at the Bitcoin Supernode Conference at Malla Castle in Estonia at the end of this month.

4. Neozaru has made great strides in his RPC-based Qt GUI wallet, and it requires some testing. If you are keen on trying it out, head over to his comment the GUI thread, give it a spin, and give him feedback.

Dev Diary

RPC: incoming_transfers is now available as a simplewallet RPC API call, and payment_id has been added as an optional argument to the transfer RPC API call. Neozaru also committed a large amount of additional functionality to the RPC API, including progress estimation to getinfo.

I2P: no commits this week, much of the work has been around scoping and planning the RPC subsystem.

Core: new seed nodes have been added, so bootstrapping on cold start should work just fine. We are going to add DNS seed node bootstrapping at a later stage.

Docs: work has begun on adding Doxygen comments throughout the code. This will both help us to understand the code written by "The CryptoNote Developers" (who appear at the top of every piece of source code except for the epee library), but will also result in proper developer documentation being made available.

Mining: Wolf` has continued to improve his CPU miner - the latest copy of which can be found on his github repo.

Mining: Claymore released a CryptoNight GPU miner, which you can find at this thread. Please be advised that his miner is currently closed source, and the appropriate level of caution should be exercised.

Until next week!

- updated by fluffypony
Jump to: