Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1866. (Read 4670606 times)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
When I first started my wallet, I didn't encrypt it. How can I encrypt it now? I'm using simple wallet.

Another question: How does the Monero wallet decide what other signatures to use to sign a transaction when I say to use n signatures? Does it select them randomly from the blockchain?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's encrypted - always. There's no ability to create an unencrypted wallet.
Yea but I can spend from my wallet without typing a password. So it must not be encrypted.

My guess is that your password is empty.  That doesn't make it plaintext, it just makes it trivial to guess the password.

Just looking at the code... I think it is possible that there is no PW set.

if(!command_line::has_arg(vm, arg_password) )
    {
      LOG_ERROR("Wallet password not set.");
      return 1;
    }

Not the best code to prove it but it's 2am and I need to sleep. Smiley Best to use additional encryption anyway - or generate a new wallet w/ a password and send to there. The wallet software is still evolving though as the PW doesn't seem changeable.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
When I first started my wallet, I didn't encrypt it. How can I encrypt it now? I'm using simple wallet.

Another question: How does the Monero wallet decide what other signatures to use to sign a transaction when I say to use n signatures? Does it select them randomly from the blockchain?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's encrypted - always. There's no ability to create an unencrypted wallet.
Yea but I can spend from my wallet without typing a password. So it must not be encrypted.

My guess is that your password is empty.  That doesn't make it plaintext, it just makes it trivial to guess the password.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0

Thanks!

Someone mentioned the wallet won't be encrypted if you don't suffix it with ".bin". Not sure if true.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Hey thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it. Quite impressive...

Seems I got 3 replies, all adequately answering they question, extremely fast...thats what I like about this coin...

a lot of pros here. hero members, etc. very helpful. thank you!

btw, just bought another 1000 xmr...2000 purchased for the day today...i think we will be hearing stories like the bitcoin pizza guy like "ohhh I sold 150,000 xmr for a dollar a piece wahhhh"
Activity: 446
secure,private, untraceable and dropping like a rock!!!
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Would someone care to explain the block reward system?
When is the block reward going to get cut down? seems like there is a lot of downward pressure due to the hype surroinding this coin making it profitable to mine and dump

+1

As it seems, it won't change... it has already been pointed out as a factor & discussed.
Activity: 265
Merit: 119
would one of you pros mine helping me with the cli wallet?

A friend of mine transferred 506 xmr to my wallet and I am trying to get them to his poloniex account, but I am having this problem:

http://imgur.com/nFKegY1

it would appear I am not typing the code in the correct format. Also, not sure what it means by "non negative integer" because I AM using a non negative integer for mixin count.

I am trying to first send 6 to his poloniex account, then another 500, once the first 6 confirm. Thanks for the help!
Don't use < and >

facepalm

thanks gentlemen!

I hope I am interpreting your screenshot correctly, but if you are moving XMR to Poloniex, you will also need to add the Payment ID, which seems to be missing from your commands. Your friend or you (if you have access to his account) should generate the Payment ID at the Poloniex's Balances page. Once you generate this, you send XMR with the following:

transfer 0

I put mixin count of 0, but you can replace it with whatever you prefer. Of course, remove the < and > when typing the actual transfer command Smiley
monero seems real cheap, I just picked up an extra 1000, thanks to all the idiots selling so low on poloniex. IMO anything less than $2.50 a coin is a damn good deal for these babies.

Would someone care to explain the block reward system?
When is the block reward going to get cut down? seems like there is a lot of downward pressure due to the hype surroinding this coin making it profitable to mine and dump

A friend of mine transferred 506 xmr to my wallet and I am trying to get them to his poloniex account, but I am having this problem:

it would appear I am not typing the code in the correct format. Also, not sure what it means by "non negative integer" because I AM using a non negative integer for mixin count.

I am trying to first send 6 to his poloniex account, then another 500, once the first 6 confirm. Thanks for the help!
Don't use < and >

facepalm

thanks gentlemen!
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

Don't use < and >

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
Would like to buy some Monero, where can I buy some? Smiley Thanks

first you need some bitcoin, you can buy here: https://poloniex.com/exchange/btc_xmr

thanks. But I prefer to buy from the thread. Anybody sells 1 BTC worth Monero?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Would like to buy some Monero, where can I buy some? Smiley Thanks
Activity: 245
i'm in for the "permanent finance" !  Cheesy

its funny to see al those sr. members here, good job!!  Cheesy
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
XMR is the future.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
bought some additional MRO. The current price is too low Wink
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
Whats wrong with poloniex?

Not enough liquidity, I infer.

depending on "large" amounts; but i already bought 15k through polo.

i'm in for the "permanent finance" !  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
Price is low ? Nothing is happening to XRM ? Lets not forget the words of Mircea Popescu:

There are at all times two financial markets in progress, running side by side, but little known to each other; the one real, the other only apparent. The former grows into permanent wealth; it is pursued by those who live for thinking and making; its course is sober and quiet, but extremely slow; and it produces in a year scarcely a dozen items; these, however, are permanent. The other kind is pursued by persons who live on other’s thinking and making; it goes at a gallop with much noise and shouting of partisans; and every week puts a thousand items on the market. But after a few years one asks, Where are they? where is the glory which came so soon and made so much clamor? This kind may be called fleeting, and the other, permanent finance.

source: http://trilema.com/2013/one-hundred-years-of-bitcoin-finance/

good points
Jump to: