Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2066. (Read 4669931 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
I'm getting the following on a regular basis after the latest May 8 update, all in red text:
Code:
2014-May-09 10:13:43.360776 [P2P8]ERROR c:\temp\bytecoin\git\bitmonero-master\contrib\epee\include\n
et\abstract_tcp_server2.inl:307 send que size is more than ABSTRACT_SERVER_SEND_QUE_MAX_COUNT(100),
shutting down connection
2014-May-09 10:13:43.370784 [P2P8]ERROR c:\temp\bytecoin\git\bitmonero-master\contrib\epee\include\n
et\levin_protocol_handler_async.h:638 [188.138.109.185:18080 OUT]Failed to do_send()
2014-May-09 10:13:43.378789 [P2P8]ERROR c:\temp\bytecoin\git\bitmonero-master\contrib\epee\include\n
et\abstract_tcp_server2.inl:307 send que size is more than ABSTRACT_SERVER_SEND_QUE_MAX_COUNT(100),
shutting down connection
2014-May-09 10:13:43.386796 [P2P8]ERROR c:\temp\bytecoin\git\bitmonero-master\contrib\epee\include\n
et\levin_protocol_handler_async.h:638 [79.140.30.52:18080 OUT]Failed to do_send()
To my knowledge, this is only on the primary system that's running the wallet -- though I haven't really spent time verifying that statement. Thoughts?

Well known bug that needs to be fixed, raise an issue on the monero-project github
Activity: 482
Merit: 500
I'm getting the following on a regular basis after the latest May 8 update, all in red text:
Code:
2014-May-09 10:13:43.360776 [P2P8]ERROR c:\temp\bytecoin\git\bitmonero-master\contrib\epee\include\n
shutting down connection
2014-May-09 10:13:43.370784 [P2P8]ERROR c:\temp\bytecoin\git\bitmonero-master\contrib\epee\include\n
et\levin_protocol_handler_async.h:638 [188.138.109.185:18080 OUT]Failed to do_send()
2014-May-09 10:13:43.378789 [P2P8]ERROR c:\temp\bytecoin\git\bitmonero-master\contrib\epee\include\n
shutting down connection
2014-May-09 10:13:43.386796 [P2P8]ERROR c:\temp\bytecoin\git\bitmonero-master\contrib\epee\include\n
et\levin_protocol_handler_async.h:638 [79.140.30.52:18080 OUT]Failed to do_send()
To my knowledge, this is only on the primary system that's running the wallet -- though I haven't really spent time verifying that statement. Thoughts?
Activity: 560
Quanttek will be doing German and David Latapie French. Monero will be soon be very international. Smiley

Chinese translation will be one of the most important. If anyone can offer to do a high-quality one (or knows someone that can), that would be great.
Those who want to translate the website: PM me. Do not start with the "getting started" page as it is the one most prone to heavy changes, though.

Is someone translating it to Chinese? If not, could I have a try and do the Chinese translation?

Sure! Right now we don't have any bounties for translation, though, so the translators have been volunteers.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
Quanttek will be doing German and David Latapie French. Monero will be soon be very international. Smiley

Chinese translation will be one of the most important. If anyone can offer to do a high-quality one (or knows someone that can), that would be great.
Those who want to translate the website: PM me. Do not start with the "getting started" page as it is the one most prone to heavy changes, though.

Is someone translating it to Chinese? If not, could I have a try and do the Chinese translation?
legendary
There is a writeup today from Hearn on stealth addressing. CN coins like Monero already use stealth addressing (and denominations) for all tx.

https://medium.com/p/cb2f81962c1b
Activity: 560
How can we understand this?
BMR is revamped as individual coin? I think we don't need two the same coins.
Site http://bitmonero.org/ lives now and there is a new binaries. Seems thankful_for_today is working very actively.
What does it mean?
Is it unable to reach agreement between thankful_for_today and Monero core team?
Please clarify the situation.

I wish we knew. Tongue But none of those files linked are up-to-date. If a useful feature is implemented, MRO will happily merge it in.

Hashrate went from 24 to 12... i7-4770k @4GHz, 7 threads, win8.1 x64

Switching back to 0.8.5 for now

See above. Download from main post.
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
I accidentally browse to this thread, found a very attractive item. wow..., what a coincidence, today just also released wallet, I want to download.
If you have Ubuntu, this is fairly easy Smiley http://monero.cc/getting-started/#debian-based-linux

Depends on your version, can't compile it on my ubuntu server since it uses lboost-atomic which isn't available in 1.53

Could you please provide some additional information? What means it? Did the script required it(which I doubt) or wasn't atomic installed by the script?

Could you retry pls. The script only sets everything up for a boost installation, which should install atomic
legendary

Do we need to copy/store the key displayed during the new wallet creation or is all that information contained in the .keys files?

thnx   Smiley

Keys file contains the seed keys for identifying pubkeys and recovering privkeys. The other binary file contains a list of recovered keys that exist in the block chain. Backup both, but the most important is the keys file.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

Do we need to copy/store the key displayed during the new wallet creation or is all that information contained in the .keys files?

thnx   Smiley

It's all in the keys file. You need to backup the .bin *and* the .keys file, as the two rely on each other if you're restoring from a backup.

EDIT: this seemed to be the case when we were trying to restore a deleted wallet when someone ran "make clean" before the warning was added. In testing now I see you can just backup the .keys file, in which case your restore would go like this:

Code:
root@fp-n:~/tmp# cp main.bin.keys test.bin.keys
root@fp-n:~/tmp# ./simplewallet
bitmonero wallet v0.8.6.295()
Specify wallet file name (e.g., wallet.bin). If the wallet doesn't exist, it will be created.
Wallet file name: test.bin
password: *********
Opened wallet: XXXXX
Starting refresh...

We didn't make the connection during our restore attempts as we restored the .bin file before restoring the .keys file.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I accidentally browse to this thread, found a very attractive item. wow..., what a coincidence, today just also released wallet, I want to download.
If you have Ubuntu, this is fairly easy Smiley http://monero.cc/getting-started/#debian-based-linux

Depends on your version, can't compile it on my ubuntu server since it uses lboost-atomic which isn't available in 1.53
The script is supposed to make a manual install, not to use apt-get. Could you confirm you actually ran the oneliner and it did not work? In that case, I would ask Quanttek to try to improve his own script (the oneliner calls upon a script).
Monero Core Team
Monero Core Team
This coin sounds pretty cool.
Can someone explain ring signatures to me?

Thanks
eizh made quite an interesting answer on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/24u04w/how_does_this_compare_to_other_anonymous_and/

How does this compare to other anonymous solutions?

Ring signatures originate from the work of Rivest et al. in 2001 and the implementation in CryptoNote relies in particular on Fujisaki and Suzuki's work on traceable ring signatures. There are two other anonymity implementations currently available or in development. One is ZeroCoin/ZeroCash's use of zero-knowledge proofs. The others are based on gmaxwell's CoinJoin idea (such as mixing services for Bitcoin or the altcoin DarkCoin).

You can read about zero-knowledge proofs here. This is research-level cryptography that hasn't been subjected to years of cryptanalysis, so exploits may emerge down the road. Other issues include the RSA private key used to initiate the accumulator, which must be trusted to be destroyed by the generating party. It also obscures the entire economy, not just sender/receiver identities. This can be problematic if there are bugs or exploits that lead to inflation or manipulation because the damage is hidden from everybody.

MRO is more qualitatively similar to mixing implementations like CoinJoin. The differences arise in the departure from the Bitcoin protocol, which allows MRO to use new cryptography to provide decentralized and trustless mixing. The critical problem with mixing services is the need to trust the operators. As an example, blockchain.info's mixer gives the following disclaimer: "However if the server was compromised or under subpoena it could be force to keep logs. If this were to happen although you haven't gained any privacy you haven't lost any either."

The CoinJoin-inspired DarkCoin performs mixing with selected "masternodes" since it still uses ordinary signatures that can be mapped one-to-one. This is an improvement over a more centralized mixing service since a randomly-selected node is less likely to exhibit bad faith (such as keeping logs). However, this approach still relies on the health and good behavior of the nodes, which MRO's more fundamental approach is not vulnerable to.

MRO's ring signatures are also far more secure and convenient than CoinJoin because they mix outputs not transactions. This means a transaction doesn't involve waiting around for other senders to mix with. Nor is a user restricted to mixing only if others are sending the same amount. Arbitrary amounts can be sent at any time without anyone else's participation. This feature makes a timing analysis of the blockchain useless for mapping identities. The degree of anonymity is also a choice rather than decided by the protocol: do you want to be hidden as one among five or one among fifty? The size of the signature grows linearly as O(n+1) with the ambiguity so greater anonymity is paid for with higher fees to miners.
Monero Core Team
Activity: 114
Merit: 10
Can anyone point me to a guide to compile monero wallet on osx?
Sy
legendary
Merit: 1003
Bounty Detective
I decided to tidy up bitmonero GitHub rep tonight, so now there is all valuable things from latest BCN commits & Win32. Faster hash from quazarcoin is also there. So BMR rep is the freshest one.

You may check it: https://github.com/bitmonero-project/bitmonero

Latest update of binaries are available at www.bitmonero.org now.
Win64
Win32
Ubuntu
MacOS

I'm working on another good feature now, so stay tuned.
Hashrate went from 24 to 12... i7-4770k @4GHz, 7 threads, win8.1 x64

Switching back to 0.8.5 for now
Activity: 26

Awesome! Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time in this thread Smiley

It means a lot to have new people come in.

When you have everything downloaded and ready to go, feel free to send me a PM with your wallet address. I will send you 2 MRO.

The same goes for up to the first five people per day reading this who would like to send me a message. I'll do this for the next 7 days.

Just want to say thanks to Keyboard-Mash for my first Monero transaction - definitely a good guy here! Look forward to being part of this community with you all as the coin grows. Smiley
Activity: 56
What does it mean?
Is it unable to reach agreement between Thankful_fot_Today and Monero core team?

I'm unaware of TFT's intentions. I do know that I chose to trust the binaries only in the OP of this thread, and any other link that surfaces there.

I'm comfortable not knowing the answer to your question, but hope people continue to file into this thread as there seems to be many great folks here.

Actually, I'd like to quote Gavin Anderson here:

Quote from: Gavin Anderson

1) Can it possibly work (do the ideas for how it works make sense)?
2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

I answered those questions by:

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

I'm sure, if you need to have your question answered it can be done by following those steps.

Activity: 56

Awesome! Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time in this thread Smiley

It means a lot to have new people come in.

When you have everything downloaded and ready to go, feel free to send me a PM with your wallet address. I will send you 2 MRO.

The same goes for up to the first five people per day reading this who would like to send me a message. I'll do this for the next 7 days.
legendary
Activity: 1151
Merit: 1003
I decided to tidy up bitmonero GitHub rep tonight, so now there is all valuable things from latest BCN commits & Win32. Faster hash from quazarcoin is also there. So BMR rep is the freshest one.

You may check it: https://github.com/bitmonero-project/bitmonero

Latest update of binaries are available at www.bitmonero.org now.
Win64
Win32
Ubuntu
MacOS

I'm working on another good feature now, so stay tuned.

How can we understand this?
BMR is revamped as individual coin? I think we don't need two the same coins.
Site http://bitmonero.org/ lives now and there is a new binaries. Seems thankful_for_today is working very actively.
What does it mean?
Is it unable to reach agreement between thankful_for_today and Monero core team?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Jump to: