Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 629. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 306
Merit: 251
So what does this info mean?   When typed hard_fork_info into daemon

version 3 not enabled, 17/10080 votes, threshold 0
current version 1, voting for version 3

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

That was so well written, I actually followed most of it!

Nice to see it's being published in a most reputable journal instead of Classic's house organ.  Can Zerocash theoretically support multisig?

Monero with RingMSCT is pretty much the holy grail of "well-developed digital cash."   Cool

Don't forget to tip your Satoshi(s)!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pw30d/ringct_for_monero_updated_versions/cwdnkaz
https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/tacotime-19270
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I'm unable to compile 0.9.3 on Ubuntu 14.04 using this old tutorial. There was no specific error except this:

Code:
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxx/bitmonero/build/release'
[ 92%] Built target core_proxy
CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/blockchain_db.cpp.o (symbol from plugin): warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
[ 92%] Built target unit_tests
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxx/bitmonero/build/release'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxx/bitmonero/build/release'
make: *** [release-all] Error 2

There is an compile issue with one of the tests, but unless you are doing a parallel make (which that old tutorial does not advise), by the time you get that point all the release binaries should already be built. Look in build/release/bin
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I'm unable to compile 0.9.3 on Ubuntu 14.04 using this old tutorial. There was no specific error except this:

Code:
[ 92%] Built target core_proxy
CMakeFiles/unit_tests.dir/blockchain_db.cpp.o (symbol from plugin): warning: the use of `tmpnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
[ 92%] Built target unit_tests
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxx/bitmonero/build/release'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxx/bitmonero/build/release'
make: *** [release-all] Error 2
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
So now that most folks are on 0.9.3  the blocks will come every 2 minutes.  Does this mean the reward for mining is now doubled or is the emissions just slowed down now by half?   I remember seeing something about this months back but don't have the time to comb through all the posts on this thread.  Any info is appreciated.  My wording may not be the best here but I think most of you will get what I'm asking.

The block reward is doubled such that the reward per minute remains the same.
Activity: 306
Merit: 251
So now that most folks are on 0.9.3  the blocks will come every 2 minutes.  Does this mean the reward for mining is now doubled or is the emissions just slowed down now by half?   I remember seeing something about this months back but don't have the time to comb through all the posts on this thread.  Any info is appreciated.  My wording may not be the best here but I think most of you will get what I'm asking.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
So currently monero hides both addresses in a transaction but the amount is visible? And is this mathematically proven anonymity or is it more of a mixing type anonymity?

It has some attributes of both. With ring signatures it is mathematically proven (see white paper) that it is impossible to determine which of the possible spenders (outputs) is the real one. It is like mixing in the sense that each input has a finite set (generally 2-5 in practice though higher mix counts are allowed) of possible outputs and this ends up having a mixing-like effect on the entire blockchain.

It is unlike mixing in that the coins being "mixed" don't need to be spent at the same time (like coinjoin) nor do their owners need to take any active steps to mix (like most mixing systems), nor is there any coordinating central coordinating system that can either steal your coins (like centralized mixers) or serve as a point for tracking and logging (like most if not all coinjoin-based implementations).

legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
Hi everyone I had some questions about monero I was hoping people could help me out with.

So currently monero hides both addresses in a transaction but the amount is visible? And is this mathematically proven anonymity or is it more of a mixing type anonymity?

It's not really that it hides, it's that every single output has a one time address. Each one time address is generated in such a way that only the recipient's private keys can use them. So you don't see addresses on the blockchain, which you can call hidden, but it goes further than putting them on the blockchain in a hidden way. The amount is not directly visible, it is hidden, as in a number of ouputs are sent, some subset (possibly empty) is change, some subets go to other addresses. Outputs are quantized to powers of 10 multiplied by 1-9 so you get a large number of possible amounts. So you can rule out certain amounts (eg, if a tx ouputs are amounts 3, 1, 4, 7, 7, 4, and 9, then you can be sure the tx is not for 6, as there's no way to get 6 from adding up any subset of them), but you can't tell the actual amount in the general case.

Also I read that monero is implementing confidential transactions.  Would this hide the amount in addition to hiding both addresses?  Would this lead to problems that currencies like zcash have?

Thanks for explaining!

This will hide the amount totally, as well as greatly increasing the anonimity set of each output. It's not clear what you mean by "Would this lead to problems that currencies like zcash have?". If you mean the ability to create coins out of thin air without anyone knowing, then I guess it goes in that direction, though with much more mature crypto, there is a lot less stuff that can go wrong. How to quantify such things is subjective though.

Activity: 8
Hi again! Tongue
I wanted to ask if its profitable to just mine with gpu(I have an r9 280x) or mine decred for example and then trade it for monero...Thanks!

I have been mining with Five (5) R9 280X cards since June. Since this recent price increase, only now have I almost broke even on the hardware investment. My electricity is free.

I bought the vast majority of my Monero when it was around $0.26. If I had a time machine, I would go back, sell the miner and scrape up as many quarters I could find.
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
Hi everyone I had some questions about monero I was hoping people could help me out with.

Also I read that monero is implementing confidential transactions.  Would this hide the amount in addition to hiding both addresses?  Would this lead to problems that currencies like zcash have?

Thanks for explaining!
Activity: 51
Thanks mate!I am a newbie and i really dont get how this stuff works.How am i supposed to know what is profitable to mine at any given time and then trade?
I was thinking screw btc and ltc . I am going to convert everything I will mine to the future to monero and keep maybe some decred.I dont know if it is a god tactic,time will be the judge.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Hi again! Tongue
I wanted to ask if its profitable to just mine with gpu(I have an r9 280x) or mine decred for example and then trade it for monero...Thanks!

Pretty sure it's more profitable to mine decred and trade, which is what I've been mostly doing, although over last few days decred is down and XMR is up, still think you're better off mining decred atm tho.
Activity: 51
Hi again! Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
I've got a post up on the site detailing tomorrow's fork.  If anything is missing, please let me know and I'll add it.

https://hellomonero.com/article/moneros-march-23-2016-hard-fork-what-you-need-know

Thank you, I have your site bookmarked.

The only thing I'm wondering is, will I notice anything at all when the fork happens while running an up to date node?

Hopefully not. Grin
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
I've got a post up on the site detailing tomorrow's fork.  If anything is missing, please let me know and I'll add it.

https://hellomonero.com/article/moneros-march-23-2016-hard-fork-what-you-need-know

Thank you, I have your site bookmarked.

The only thing I'm wondering is, will I notice anything at all when the fork happens while running an up to date node?
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
So, is there an official GUI wallet for XMR and if not, WHY THE HELL NOT?

Because the foundations are a wee bit more important than flashy door knobs.

Example:

Activity: 201

Activity: 201
So, is there an official GUI wallet for XMR and if not, WHY THE HELL NOT?

Because this isn't a bitcoin clone.  We can't simply do a "search and replace Bitcoin for Monero", and release the QT client like other altcoins can.
Because we're trying to do this right.  Fundamentals first.  The core code needed to be much more solid before a GUI was released to the masses.
The core devs are working on those fundamentals.  They continue to do so and as such, they are not working on a GUI.
The community has funded a person to work on the gui.  dEBRUYNE gave you the links.

legendary
Activity: 2242
Merit: 3523
Flippin' burgers since 1163.

That is just way over my head. But if ring-signature really is possible and gets implemented: wow! That just opens up so many new use cases, quite exited to be honest.
Jump to: