Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 731. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
The thing that really prevents it being used for iOS (or Android) is having a Java library similar to bitcoinj (or simplewallet compiled for Android or iOS). If there was a Java library that allowed for sending/signing transactions, then I think it would be pretty simple to adapt it for mobile operating systems.

Looks really great.

Now as for iOS: Apart from the technical issue of compiling the Java library for iOS there is the issue of Apple's DRM. So it would only work with jailbroken iOS. Also if the 32bit version of Monero is used with Berkeley db there is the issue that Berkeley db is licensed under the AGPL. This is not an issue on Android, GNU/Linux, Windows desktop (but not Windows RT/mobile or the Windows store), OS X or jailbroken iOS.

To run it on iOS that is not jailbroken as far as I can see one would need both a proprietary license from Oracle for Berkely db ($$$) and to pass the Apple censor board. If Monero does really take off it may be possible to enter into a license agreement with Oracle. The project would then have to pass on Oracle's license fee, Apple's markup and a markup and risk premium for the project that the iSheep would have to pay.

Edit: Java is GPL so again there is the same issue with iOS that is not jailbroken. So more fees that the iSheep would have to pay

Luckily lightwallet ships with default behavior to connect to a remote node, so no database is necessary. Now, for those that want to run the monero node on their phone, i guess they will run into a problem. But I have yet to see ANY cryptocurrency have nodes on phones. So, jwinterm essentially just has to run simplewallet on the phone, which should hopefully avoid all of that DRM stuff you mentioned.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
The thing that really prevents it being used for iOS (or Android) is having a Java library similar to bitcoinj (or simplewallet compiled for Android or iOS). If there was a Java library that allowed for sending/signing transactions, then I think it would be pretty simple to adapt it for mobile operating systems.

Looks really great.

Now as for iOS: Apart from the technical issue of compiling the Java library for iOS there is the issue of Apple's DRM. So it would only work with jailbroken iOS. Also if the 32bit version of Monero is used with Berkeley db there is the issue that Berkeley db is licensed under the AGPL. This is not an issue on Android, GNU/Linux, Windows desktop (but not Windows RT/mobile or the Windows store), OS X or jailbroken iOS.

To run it on iOS that is not jailbroken as far as I can see one would need both a proprietary license from Oracle for Berkely db ($$$) and to pass the Apple censor board. If Monero does really take off it may be possible to enter into a license agreement with Oracle. The project would then have to pass on Oracle's license fee, Apple's markup and a markup and risk premium for the project that the iSheep would have to pay.

Edit: Java is GPL so again there is the same issue with iOS that is not jailbroken. So more fees that the iSheep would have to pay

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

That looks great! You're doing great work, and while I know that you can make these light weight wallets for desktops and androids, but isn't there some type of barrier that prevents wallets being made for iOS? I thought that they refuse people to put out apps that were iOS wallets that weren't Bitcoin?

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
Working on a new version of Lightwallet, coming soon™...

I'm working on re-writing it in Java using Libgdx. Mostly because I'm interested in learning Java and the Libgdx library, but also because it is (possibly) more portable between Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS. As of now, it's only getting info from bitmonerod, but I think I'll be able to get a fully working version out by the time the v0.9 release is made official, so like August 2017 or so Tongue

That looks great! You're doing great work, and while I know that you can make these light weight wallets for desktops and androids, but isn't there some type of barrier that prevents wallets being made for iOS? I thought that they refuse people to put out apps that were iOS wallets that weren't Bitcoin?
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Working on a new version of Lightwallet, coming soon™...

I'm working on re-writing it in Java using Libgdx. Mostly because I'm interested in learning Java and the Libgdx library, but also because it is (possibly) more portable between Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS. As of now, it's only getting info from bitmonerod, but I think I'll be able to get a fully working version out by the time the v0.9 release is made official, so like August 2017 or so Tongue

Anyone interested in the code or possibly helping out can find it here: https://github.com/jwinterm/lightWallet2
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
I found a new Node.js RPC simplewallet manager on Github today. Wow!

There was an older one out there from netmonk, but this one has almost all of the simplewallet commands ready at your disposal.

Thought some Monero developers might find it useful.

https://github.com/PsychicCat/monero-nodejs
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
On the contrary, I think, in some countries a lot of PC are starting to mine in working hours (you know, clever sysadmins install miners on office PCs etc.).

I don't see any reason for the mining to be stopped at nights? Also, the pattern on ChainRadar suggessts that there's a drop around 8-10 am (UTC+0). If we are talking about the office nights, then the timezone of these offices should be somewhere in the West of the NA (or East of SA).

That's pure guessing of course.

Perhaps it has something to do with the kWh price? There could be a difference between the price during working hours (8 AM-6 PM for instance) and the price during non-working hours. This graph also shows that the hashrate currently is kind of cyclical -> http://monero.net/network_stats.html

Such as this:

In Texas, wind farms are generating so much energy that some utilities are giving power away.

TXU’s free overnight plan, which is coupled with slightly higher daytime rates, is one of dozens that have been offered by more than 50 retail electricity companies in Texas over the last three years with a simple goal: for customers to turn down the dials when wholesale prices are highest and turn them back up when prices are lowest.
Activity: 687
Merit: 500
novag
Is there an ETA for the new release?

Really make a normal wallet?
Activity: 283
Merit: 250
Is there an ETA for the new release?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
On the contrary, I think, in some countries a lot of PC are starting to mine in working hours (you know, clever sysadmins install miners on office PCs etc.).

I don't see any reason for the mining to be stopped at nights? Also, the pattern on ChainRadar suggessts that there's a drop around 8-10 am (UTC+0). If we are talking about the office nights, then the timezone of these offices should be somewhere in the West of the NA (or East of SA).

Perhaps it has something to do with the kWh price? There could be a difference between the price during working hours (8 AM-6 PM for instance) and the price during non-working hours. This graph also shows that the hashrate currently is kind of cyclical -> http://monero.net/network_stats.html
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
In 2009, who could conceive that one bitcoin would cost hundreds of dollars?
In 2009, who could conceive that one bitcoin would cost 50 cents

October 5, 2009
An exchange rate is established

New Liberty Standard publishes a Bitcoin exchange rate that establishes the value of a Bitcoin at US$1 = 1,309.03 BTC, using an equation that includes the cost of electricity to run a computer that generated Bitcoins.
http://historyofbitcoin.org/
Activity: 352
This coin will never lift up, guys, never  Tongue
Let's concentrate in the following 100 years please... Right?
Never is a long time.
Activity: 870
Merit: 585
This coin will never lift up, guys, never  Tongue
In 2009, who could conceive that one bitcoin would cost hundreds of dollars?
Activity: 994
Merit: 260
Monero losing positions? When the next big update from the developers?
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
In another coin thread there was a guy mining with 300+ free Amazon AWS, but it was free for him only 12 hours a day, so he was mining only half the day each day. This can't account for the 50% of the network I suppose (are there many with free access to huge amount of free Amazon AWS?). There is 24 hours period in many other coins mining too.
Activity: 373

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Not sure about any of the numbers above, but 32.9 mHash/s (assuming the m stands for M) is higher than the total net hash (last I looked, 11 MH/s, might have moved now)...

Speaking of that, I always wondered whether CryptoNote coins hashrate is any accurate. Monero's one jumps up and down from 7 mHash/s to 15 mHash/s within 24 hours (based on ChainRadar).

Obviously, hashrate is calculated as difficulty / block_time. And difficulty here is the number of hashes roughly required to find the last block. Isn't it better to evaluate CN hashrates not with this simple formula, but rather include a series based calculation?

i missed something

if like this so XMR is not profitable any more ,,,, impossible to make rig for 3000 hash to mine 3 coin per day ,,, sure electric and internet and cost is more more high that this number

so it is non profitable coins

thats not necessarily true - the first rig I described here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3w2z9c/currently_whats_the_best_rig_to_mine_monero_and/cxts070

would use about , i dunno, 400 watts when all is said and done. This would cost $23 / month at 8 cents / kwh. (which is on the high end). This would get you 59.1 xmr / month, at current nethash. Which comes to 26$ / month. So, it technically is profitable, it just depends on the rig. Its definitely not profitable if you're going to rent hardware from some company.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1101
karbo.io
Jump to: