Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 730. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

DISCOUNT

- MONERO TRANSFER -

200 USD
now 150 USD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

click to ZOOM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you give me 12,000 XMR, I will let you tell people I buy your paintings.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Should monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta be started with old .bat file or is there any new way to start bitmonerod and simplewallet?

it should be the same... the bat file should just be calling bitmonerod.exe with whatever flags you need. if in doubt, just open the .bat file in notepad to get a sense of whats going on.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
Should monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta be started with old .bat file or is there any new way to start bitmonerod and simplewallet?
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
I have working on create Monero tutorials for my website (8xmr.com) based on information have found on getmonero.org, Reddit and elsewhere.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
If anyone wants to run Monero over TOR, see:

https://github.com/moneromooo-monero/bitmonero/commit/bf4550578583e85dd18a35afdbb29949b9e12a2a
&
https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/541

Quote from: smooth (reddit)
Looks like warptangent fixed the DNS issue (PR #541) so there should be no issue of leakage or some functions not working now.

legendary
Monero 0.9 beta still consumes a lot of memory when I synchronize blockchain that wasn't updated for 15 days.

In Windows 7:

+ Working memory:  2114890Kb (~2GB)
+ Elapsed time: 2.5 hours (very slow I think)

Is that the first 0.9 Beta or the second?

The second which is built on Nov 01, 2015

The good news is that once your blockchain is in sync then memory usage will decrease dramatically

LMDB only takes what it can take (during syncing). If much of your RAM is already allocated, LMDB won't take it while syncing. In other words, it won't get stuck like for instance the old binaries. After syncing it only takes <100 MB.
Activity: 150
Merit: 102
Monero 0.9 beta still consumes a lot of memory when I synchronize blockchain that wasn't updated for 15 days.

In Windows 7:

The good news is that once your blockchain is in sync then memory usage will decrease dramatically
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Prepare scantable took: 216320ms

What does it mean? It is very slow to me

Wow, what are you running on?

Code:
2015-Dec-14 11:36:33.957095 [P2P4]Prepare scantable took: 4 ms
legendary
Activity: 1106
Prepare scantable took: 216320ms

What does it mean? It is very slow to me
legendary

In Windows 7:

legendary
Activity: 1624
5 pull requests merged today from 4 different contributors. Smiley Cool Kiss

ponyish!
Activity: 168
Merit: 101
Physical Monero coins
Christmas sale has just started! Only 14 coins of this design left from 50 minted. Order now with a great discount at https://cryptonic.net/product/order/4/

legendary

In Windows 7:

There's a second beta? I'm upgrading then. The first was already a great improvement (I couldnt run before with 4GB of RAM).

Yeah:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3r9rev/updated_monero_windows_09_beta/

Be cautious, direct link in that thread! Also, always thread beta with the appropriate amount of caution.
legendary
Activity: 1260

In Windows 7:

There's a second beta? I'm upgrading then. The first was already a great improvement (I couldnt run before with 4GB of RAM).

Yeah, the link in my sig goes to the beta for windows. Fluffy put the new beta on the same URL for everyone's ease.

Synchronizing the blockchain will take a lot of memory - IF YOU HAVE IT. Thats the key. If you have a 2 gig machine, it will only take what is available. If you have a 4 gig machine, it will take more, and if you have 16 gig, it will take more. Once its done synchronizing though, it will reduce to negligible memory usage.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

In Windows 7:

legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

In Windows 7:

+ Working memory:  2114890Kb (~2GB)

Same here win 8.1! I'm syncing since the very first block and waiting so much is fatiguing me. Also, I don't have a flat connection so I have to stop every now and then. I hope I'll get this rolling soon.
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
Monero

In Windows 7:

legendary

In Windows 7:

Activity: 994
Merit: 260
The coin needs to be implemented zerocon protocol for the achievement of new highest price highs and supreme joy to all Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Luckily lightwallet ships with default behavior to connect to a remote node, so no database is necessary. Now, for those that want to run the monero node on their phone, i guess they will run into a problem. But I have yet to see ANY cryptocurrency have nodes on phones. So, jwinterm essentially just has to run simplewallet on the phone, which should hopefully avoid all of that DRM stuff you mentioned.

Yes, but I thought it had to be to a trusted node over a secure connection.

I was thinking about a high end smartphone or a tablet. For example a  Nexus 6P with 128 GB storage should have the capability to handle a full Monero node. I do agree that this kind of thing does not occur with other crypto currencies but the reason is that the vast majority of mobile devices are deliberately crippled with DRM by OS vendors and telcos, rather than the actual hardware capabilities of the devices themselves. Apple is by far the worst but even on Android one has to root the device, thereby breaking the DRM, in order to properly secure the device and get full use of it.

Edit: One way around this would be to set up a secure connection from the phone to a computer running a trusted node (say for example in the phone owner's home) thereby avoiding this issue.
Jump to: