Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 740. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

to clarify, mainnet is 18080, testnet is 28080. And make sure the port is forwarded all the way through your intranet - your modem sometimes has a firewall, your router has a firewall, and your OS probably has a firewall.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Wrt payment IDs, I think luigi1111 developed "stealth" payment IDs, which are serialised into the designation address. He can probably elaborate on it better, but bottom line is that this will also hide the payment ID. I think the feature is included in 0.9.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
It has been pointed out that the sloppy nature of payment IDs hints that these were tacked on in the final stages of cryptonote development when the original developers realized that their system was so good that it would be impossible to identify that a particular incoming transaction was from bob, if bob is sending money to a store or an exchange.

It doesn't need to be hinted. It is documented on github that they were added after the Bytecoin release, once people actually started using it and realized there was no good way to send funds to an exchange or merchant. You would think they might have figured that out in two years on the darknet, but I guess not.

Not all scammers think about usability as their focus. Focus is usually on lining their pockets.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
It has been pointed out that the sloppy nature of payment IDs hints that these were tacked on in the final stages of cryptonote development when the original developers realized that their system was so good that it would be impossible to identify that a particular incoming transaction was from bob, if bob is sending money to a store or an exchange.

It doesn't need to be hinted. It is documented on github that they were added after the Bytecoin release, once people actually started using it and realized there was no good way to send funds to an exchange or merchant. You would think they might have figured that out in two years on the darknet, but I guess not.
legendary
Hey guys... so I made my first purchase using poloniex (usually I just use shapeshift) and I just tried to withdraw while using the payment ID and everything.  I've been waiting like 10 minutes now and I still haven't seen it in mymonero or on the block explorer, should I be worried?

I haven't used Polo in a while but as I remember it they send a confirmation email which you have to verify.  I don't believe withdrawals are instant although I remember them being quick.  No need to use a payment ID when sending to yourself, was the Payment ID generated by MyMonero?

Edit: the post I replied to was removed.  I assume the Monero was received.

Yeah, I guess I was just getting worried since I have never used the site before.

But I have another question that struck me.

So I thought when you receive XMR your address will change every time?  Well the wallet address for mymonero has been the same since I created it... any reason for that?

Your wallet address is the same, but how its recorded on the blockchain is totally random. If you take your wallet address and paste it into the search bar on moneroblocks.eu or chainradar, you won't get any results. The way I understand it, each time you make a transaction, your keys are used to generate a totally random address just for recording in the blockchain. Now, only your keys can let you know which totally random address is yours.

Yup, that's a good non-technical summary of how it works.
legendary
Hey guys... so I made my first purchase using poloniex (usually I just use shapeshift) and I just tried to withdraw while using the payment ID and everything.  I've been waiting like 10 minutes now and I still haven't seen it in mymonero or on the block explorer, should I be worried?

I haven't used Polo in a while but as I remember it they send a confirmation email which you have to verify.  I don't believe withdrawals are instant although I remember them being quick.  No need to use a payment ID when sending to yourself, was the Payment ID generated by MyMonero?

nioc is correct but I want to clarify the purpose of the payment id so you understand why some use it (like exchanges) while others do not.  If two people owe you exactly 100xmr and both claim they paid you but you only received one transaction for 100xmr how do you know which person paid you?

Asking someone to include a payment ID (like an exchange requests for deposits) allows you to easily connect the payment with the person you provided that payment ID.

When you are sending xmr to yourself from an exchange you know where the xmr came from and probably don't need a payment ID.

I guess I'm a little slow when learning these things, but wouldn't you always want to include a payment ID when conducting business with someone in that case?  Even in regards to sending a payment to yourself from an exchange... if you don't include the payment ID when transacting XMR to your wallet, regardless of where it's coming from, wouldn't you always want to include it so you can be able to see it on the blockchain just for reassurance purposes?  Is there an advantage for leaving out the payment ID in some cases? Etc.

If you need reassurance, then yes.

However, in the whole process there's also a transaction ID. Basically, its an identifier for the whole transaction, and this transaction ID is public. So, if you were to send some monero to someone, your wallet software would say "yay you've sent money. Your transaction ID is (somestringofnumbers). So, if you go and paste this transaction ID on the blockchain, you can find your transaction. Of course, the transaction information is all cryptographically garbled nonsense thanks to ring signatures + stealth addresses.

The primary reason now for leaving out a payment ID is that its not encrypted / hidden / etc - its all public information (bitcoin style - whatever you push to the blockchain is whats recorded on the blockchain in more or less plain text... well, plain hex). So, this could create the same kind of information leak that can occur in bitcoin. Say, for instance, you constantly use a payment ID of s230909hfkhsdfs. Lets say you use this payment ID for years, for whatever reason. If it was ever leaked that this was your payment ID, then boom - now anyone can look at the blockchain and find which transactions are yours, ala bitcoin style. All of the ring signatures and stealth addressing is wasted.

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000
The only reason I've ever used a EDIT: transaction payment ID was to be able to prove that I was the sender of the transaction. If you don't need proof that you sent the transaction (such as from your online exchange wallet to your home wallet), then you don't need to use it. It's not always necessary. Of course you could always use it if you want.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Spastic dead-eyed hound.

nioc is correct but I want to clarify the purpose of the payment id so you understand why some use it (like exchanges) while others do not.  If two people owe you exactly 100xmr and both claim they paid you but you only received one transaction for 100xmr how do you know which person paid you?

Asking someone to include a payment ID (like an exchange requests for deposits) allows you to easily connect the payment with the person you provided that payment ID.

When you are sending xmr to yourself from an exchange you know where the xmr came from and probably don't need a payment ID.

I guess I'm a little slow when learning these things, but wouldn't you always want to include a payment ID when conducting business with someone in that case?  Even in regards to sending a payment to yourself from an exchange... if you don't include the payment ID when transacting XMR to your wallet, regardless of where it's coming from, wouldn't you always want to include it so you can be able to see it on the blockchain just for reassurance purposes?  Is there an advantage for leaving out the payment ID in some cases? Etc.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250

nioc is correct but I want to clarify the purpose of the payment id so you understand why some use it (like exchanges) while others do not.  If two people owe you exactly 100xmr and both claim they paid you but you only received one transaction for 100xmr how do you know which person paid you?

legendary

Yeah, I guess I was just getting worried since I have never used the site before.

So I thought when you receive XMR your address will change every time?  Well the wallet address for mymonero has been the same since I created it... any reason for that?

Your wallet address is the same, but how its recorded on the blockchain is totally random. If you take your wallet address and paste it into the search bar on moneroblocks.eu or chainradar, you won't get any results. The way I understand it, each time you make a transaction, your keys are used to generate a totally random address just for recording in the blockchain. Now, only your keys can let you know which totally random address is yours.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Spastic dead-eyed hound.

legendary
Activity: 1624

legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
I think a number of people have expressed interest in running a testnet node for the fork, to see if anything falls off it happens. If you wish to do so, you can fetch the latest master, which has the testnet fork set up for, hmmm, about 13 hours from now.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
New git updates since last time:

- blockchain_export can now create files compatible with NoodleDoodle's fast sync code
- speedup for the one-time database rescan to initialize hard fork into
- database dump utility, intended to detect differences between the several blockchain formats
- a new status command in the daemon, giving more user oriented information
- and random other fixes for DB potential issues, some RPC commands not working properly

Git updates since last time:

- simplewallet can be set to use a different default mixin than 4 (eg, set default-mixin Cool
- more hardfork voting changes: first hard fork will not be voted on, due to complicated issues with alt chains
- block time change from 1 minute to 2 minutes (to take effect at the next fork)
- new show_transfers simplewallet command, to show in/out transactions in a more user friendly way
- more daemon commands now work again on the development branch, using 0MQ

Will there still be a minimum mixin number in the new release?

There will be a minimum but it won't be enforced by the network until the fork in the spring.

I like the idea of a minimum mixin but what impacts if any will this have on pools and or exchanges that must deal with dust transactions?

There are various changes to how dust works that should address this. There is also an exception for dust that isn't mixable (but new unmixable dust won't be created, so eventually the exception will disappear from the network as the old dust is used up).

Thank you! Glad to hear we will have both a minimum mixin and a long term solution to the dust problem
legendary

- blockchain_export can now create files compatible with NoodleDoodle's fast sync code
- database dump utility, intended to detect differences between the several blockchain formats
- and random other fixes for DB potential issues, some RPC commands not working properly

- simplewallet can be set to use a different default mixin than 4 (eg, set default-mixin Cool
- more hardfork voting changes: first hard fork will not be voted on, due to complicated issues with alt chains
- block time change from 1 minute to 2 minutes (to take effect at the next fork)
- new show_transfers simplewallet command, to show in/out transactions in a more user friendly way

Will there still be a minimum mixin number in the new release?

There will be a minimum but it won't be enforced by the network until the fork in the spring.

I like the idea of a minimum mixin but what impacts if any will this have on pools and or exchanges that must deal with dust transactions?

There are various changes to how dust works that should address this. There is also an exception for dust that isn't mixable (but new unmixable dust won't be created, so eventually the exception will disappear from the network as the old dust is used up).
Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Will there still be a minimum mixin number in the new release? I like the idea of a minimum mixin but what impacts if any will this have on pools and or exchanges that must deal with dust transactions?
Activity: 40
Merit: 0

Why would that be a problem ? Anyway, do you own research people.

You seems not to be a coder right? I read ETH's source code for XMR-like smart contract. It is so funny although I know it is just a basic code to demonstrate a proof of concept. If you are able to read the source code, you will not be so confident. I know developers are kings because they can say anything that everyone who can not read source code has to believe.
it does not matter who they are , just enjoy it
Jump to: