Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 742. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Nice find from iCEBREAKER:

Cherry on top: that tweet was Liked by @NickSzabo4.   Cool Cool Cool

I did not notice that he liked my Tweet (Peter Todd quote regarding bitcoin, shapeshift and monero) until just now. It somewhat surprised me since he does not yet follow me on Twitter. I would love to get a quote from him about his views on Monero and CryptoNote. I messaged Peter Todd in advance of the Tweet to ask for permission to use it. Similarly I wont do much to publicize the "like" from Szabo unless he says something more.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I heard a rumor that monero.net was 100% core devs payout fee.

Can anybody say what does happen with monero.net? Things seem suspicious...

I'm not sure what you mean by 100% core devs payout fee. Donations maybe?

As far as I know no core team member has been directly involved with any pool.

I don't know what happened to monero.net.
Activity: 243
Merit: 125
It's quite peculiar that monero.net shows n/a there, while a few months ago it had 2-3 MH/s of hashrate. Perhaps it went private, who knows.

I confirm this. Look at their site - monero.net is NOT appear like a monero pool even! But it WAS.

I heard a rumor that monero.net was 100% core devs payout fee.

Can anybody say what does happen with monero.net? Things seem suspicious...
Activity: 478
Heres a good introduction to ECC math from DJB and Tanja Lange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6jTFxQaUJA

Perfect. Thank you very much.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Not sure if this was ever linked in this thread but here is a full paper on Daniel J Burnstein's Curve25519 in depth http://cr.yp.to/ecdh/curve25519-20060209.pdf

I really love this stuff. BUT, am not there yet. I pretty much need to keep my mind busy all the time or else damage ensues. Have some understanding of cryptography, or more like cryptographic algorithms, but does anyone have any resources that might slow down the math behind cryptographic algorithms at a pace I can step through. I dont mind looking up and learning some math along the way, or perhaps a lot of math. But understanding the effects of a cryptographic algorithm, and undestanding how it does what it does are two very different levels of understanding, and I would very much appreciate if someone could point me in a direction that would bridge that gap a bit.

Heres a good introduction to ECC math from DJB and Tanja Lange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6jTFxQaUJA
Activity: 478
Not sure if this was ever linked in this thread but here is a full paper on Daniel J Burnstein's Curve25519 in depth http://cr.yp.to/ecdh/curve25519-20060209.pdf

I really love this stuff. BUT, am not there yet. I pretty much need to keep my mind busy all the time or else damage ensues. Have some understanding of cryptography, or more like cryptographic algorithms, but does anyone have any resources that might slow down the math behind cryptographic algorithms at a pace I can step through. I dont mind looking up and learning some math along the way, or perhaps a lot of math. But understanding the effects of a cryptographic algorithm, and undestanding how it does what it does are two very different levels of understanding, and I would very much appreciate if someone could point me in a direction that would bridge that gap a bit.
legendary
make them use their private pools which we can then shut down with the help of AV and law enforcement...

Go right ahead then. Most of the hash rate is not on identified pools, at least according to the minexmr chart. Maybe there is a better chart, I don't really know.

https://monerohash.com/#network

minexmr currently shows only 2 pools + small + unknown at 61%
while monerohash shows 8 pools + small + unknown at 34%

Thanks for the pointer, I wasn't aware of the monerohash chart. It indeed shows more pools, but still right now (the numbers vary over time) shows 48.4% unknown.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
make them use their private pools which we can then shut down with the help of AV and law enforcement...

Go right ahead then. Most of the hash rate is not on identified pools, at least according to the minexmr chart. Maybe there is a better chart, I don't really know.

It's quite peculiar that monero.net shows n/a there, while a few months ago it had 2-3 MH/s of hashrate. Perhaps it went private, who knows.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

I've reported several huge botnets, all have been shut down. This is the reason i am asking for configuration files included in trojans...
legendary

legendary

Not exactly - I would route botnet hash through a proxy... otherwise I would DDoS the pool off the net by accident. Regardless, a pool isn't going to shut down income.

Route through a proxy ? Easy, once AVs detect it, its trivial to shut down.
There are ways other than IP addresses to detect a botnet, maybe thousands of miners all hashing at a different speed ?

*sigh*

If I run it through a proxy, it looks like one machine with varying hashrate, first of all. I meant similar to a Stratum proxy.
Secondly, not that trivial, as I would crypt the binary - AVs detect it, a new crypt often solves the issue. If they try to do it by connection, I can use a randomly selected proxy from multiple ones.

You sound like you are on drugs AGAIN. We can continue discussion when it wears off...

You sound like you just ran out of intelligent arguments!  Wink

If you tunnel a botnet through a proxy it's still easy to tell a botnet is behind it - thousands of miners mining at different speeds.
Crypting the miner and updating the binary on XX,XXX servers is harder than you think. You'd also need to crypt the downloader that is used for updating.
Randomly selecting proxies is not going to work, you'd need 100% stable proxies, private, not public. One costs around $3. You'd need thousands to hide the botnet...

My point is, pool owners can stop the botnets easy, make them use their private pools which we can then shut down with the help of AV and law enforcement...
Activity: 336
I have been asked to help distribute the survey linked below. Your thoughtful completion of the survey will provide useful information for the founder of https://onenear.com/ as we works to build an economy featuring Monero.  Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts.

Monero Marketplace Market Research
OneNear are planning to fork their site and create another brand and site, exclusively for buying and selling products and services with XMR / BTC.  We aim to launch early next year and will be driven by the Monero community.

The full proposal and discussion is here: https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/2422/proposal-to-build-marketplace-for-monero

Survey link:
http://goo.gl/forms/3yCfuQBIav

PLEASE SHARE!!

The more people who complete the survey they better, so please encourage people to participate. I shared the link on Twitter and Reddit as well.

Thanks in advance.
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
I think there is an issue with the built in windows unzipper utility for files over 4 GB or so. I had an issue with downloading/unzipping a bootstrap for huntercoin, and it was due to trying to use windows unzipper. If the file is bigger than 4 GB, try using 7zip or something else to extract.
Are you using 0.9 beta build? There is no blockchain for it to download. You should sync from scratch (~3.5 hours for me).

Hmm...
I think its in RAM the problem. Its on 100% of usage when wants to read/loading blockchain(reaching in some time) and then when starts to update I get that error for "height", file is 4.2GB.
My RAM size is 3x2GB.
No, I've 886.

Thanks!

If you are on 0.8.8.6 you probably have insufficient RAM, the current binaries are quite old and slow. Basically everyone is waiting for the new binaries, which only use around 100 MB of RAM after syncing. Which OS are you on? And are you able to compile yourself?

The new binaries will allow many people to use Monero who did not have enough RAM for 0.8.8.6
legendary
Activity: 1105

Not exactly - I would route botnet hash through a proxy... otherwise I would DDoS the pool off the net by accident. Regardless, a pool isn't going to shut down income.

There are ways other than IP addresses to detect a botnet, maybe thousands of miners all hashing at a different speed ?

*sigh*

If I run it through a proxy, it looks like one machine with varying hashrate, first of all. I meant similar to a Stratum proxy.
Secondly, not that trivial, as I would crypt the binary - AVs detect it, a new crypt often solves the issue. If they try to do it by connection, I can use a randomly selected proxy from multiple ones.

You sound like you are on drugs AGAIN. We can continue discussion when it wears off...

yeah, and isn't there an open source freely available miner proxy, which for all in tents and porpoises (there yah go luigi), was probably specifically made for bonnets?

That sentence was full of english wonder / inside jokes.

And your monero dash equivalence re: distribution might be valid if all botnets were operated by monero core team developers, and you'd think if that were the case they would have developed a GUI to make monero moon ASAP (and subsequently die because, yah know, the original bytecoin code needed much love, according to me, who has a proof of developer certificate (thats a bold faced lie (these are nested parentheses))), unless of course they did that on purpose because they're in for the long con, and they just dump hours and real money into the con to create better code and a cryptocurrency infrastructure (DNS checkpoints, etc) so all in all, I still give botnets a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being harmful and 10 being useful.

anyhoo. How's the test fork in testnet? Hope its going well!!!

The bad phrase is "all intensive purposes", you muppet.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

*sigh*

yeah, and isn't there an open source freely available miner proxy, which for all in tents and porpoises (there yah go luigi), was probably specifically made for bonnets?

That sentence was full of english wonder / inside jokes.

And your monero dash equivalence re: distribution might be valid if all botnets were operated by monero core team developers, and you'd think if that were the case they would have developed a GUI to make monero moon ASAP (and subsequently die because, yah know, the original bytecoin code needed much love, according to me, who has a proof of developer certificate (thats a bold faced lie (these are nested parentheses))), unless of course they did that on purpose because they're in for the long con, and they just dump hours and real money into the con to create better code and a cryptocurrency infrastructure (DNS checkpoints, etc) so all in all, I still give botnets a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being harmful and 10 being useful.

anyhoo. How's the test fork in testnet? Hope its going well!!!

legendary

*sigh*

legendary

Activity: 283
The dude's blaming the pool for the malware. It's not mining for the pool, most likely, it's mining to someone's address...
Someone finally gets it. Why would anyone imagine it's the pool's fault (without other supporting evidence at least)?

You're both playing dumb. Pools can easely detect and block addresses being mined by botnets.
FYI, a huge botnet went live today, over 3MH/s, XMR distribution is  no better than premined DASH...

If you say so. Why, a guy like you posting cold hard facts with nothing else than that behemoth credibility to back it up, is commendable. Even your trading trust glimmers like gold.

What a hero.
Jump to: