Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 753. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Crosspost from [XMR] speculation, thanks to kazuki49

theres a new beta version: https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip so the courageous folks who use crypto on windows can get on the latest build.

Is that different than the 0.9 windows beta that has been out for a while?

it is still beta but should have bugfixes MoneroMooo constantly pushes on github, fluffy compiled it yesterday: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/474#issuecomment-152823852

Sometimes I get the feeling that the development of Monero should be limited to GNU/Linux (or at least to Unix like OS) until most the development goals are reached. Those wishing to run Monero on Windows can be provided with a pre-configured Virtual Box GNU/Linux VM and instructions on installing Virtualbox.

Does anyone seriously believe that one can have financial privacy running Monero on Windows 10?

i'm like 95% finished making the aforementioned preconfigured iso file. Respin (the current manifestation of remastersys) is proving difficult. Currently the cloned iso does something weird with networking that I can't figure out. Perhaps I'll just post the current .iso and someone can fiddle with the stuff. The .iso comes with respin installed, so everyone can make a clone of the clone. Filesize is limited to 4 gb though, so the blockchain bootstrap will be separate. Its currently on Ubuntu. Eventually I'll figure out the differences with Debian and put effort into that Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1024
 wait till 100k then buy!
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

theres a new beta version: https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip so the courageous folks who use crypto on windows can get on the latest build.

it is still beta but should have bugfixes MoneroMooo constantly pushes on github, fluffy compiled it yesterday: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/474#issuecomment-152823852

Sometimes I get the feeling that the development of Monero should be limited to GNU/Linux (or at least to Unix like OS) until most the development goals are reached. Those wishing to run Monero on Windows can be provided with a pre-configured Virtual Box GNU/Linux VM and instructions on installing Virtualbox.

Does anyone seriously believe that one can have financial privacy running Monero on Windows 10?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
IMO the feature that is most needed is viewing posts in chronological order yet being able to jump to current posts without scrolling all the way down every time. Maybe a way to start viewing the thread from the bottom and then offering infinite scroll up instead of down would suffice.

Sort by newest gives a way to see current posts but requires reading the thread of discussion backwards.

I agree, sort by oldest + classic pagination would be a great improvement.

You mean turn on pagination instead of the eternal scroll, even though you have JS enabled? Can look at it Smiley

Yep :-)

Activity: 294
Merit: 260
IMO the feature that is most needed is viewing posts in chronological order yet being able to jump to current posts without scrolling all the way down every time. Maybe a way to start viewing the thread from the bottom and then offering infinite scroll up instead of down would suffice.

Sort by newest gives a way to see current posts but requires reading the thread of discussion backwards.

I agree, sort by oldest + classic pagination would be a great improvement.

You mean turn on pagination instead of the eternal scroll, even though you have JS enabled? Can look at it Smiley

Yep :-)
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

We need a non javascript mirror. That is the only way any real traffic is going to happen.

You know that we spent a ton of effort making sure the forum works without Javascript, right? We eventually even recently fixed the JS menu, which was a pain as Bootstrap likes a JS menu...but all sorted now:)

I didn't know that, and thanks for the effort. To be frank I like Javascript, especially when it's done right. In this particular case though, the thing that I found most cumbersome is the append-posts-and-scroll-endlessly feature. Is there a way to disable this that I'm missing perhaps?

Sort by newest gives a way to see current posts without scrolling but requires reading the thread of discussion backwards.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

We need a non javascript mirror. That is the only way any real traffic is going to happen.

You know that we spent a ton of effort making sure the forum works without Javascript, right? We eventually even recently fixed the JS menu, which was a pain as Bootstrap likes a JS menu...but all sorted now:)

I didn't know that, and thanks for the effort. To be frank I like Javascript, especially when it's done right. In this particular case though, the thing that I found most cumbersome is the append-posts-and-scroll-endlessly feature. Is there a way to disable this that I'm missing perhaps?

Activity: 294
Merit: 260

legendary
Activity: 930
Merit: 1010
A huge influence of mine, Paul Sztorc of Truthcoin/Hivemind has this to say about Cryptonote/Monero here http://bitcoinhivemind.com/blog/chance-of-success/

This was asked in comments

Q

Hey Paul, love your work. On your opinion chart, what would you rate the chances of cryptonote currencies like Monero? Closer to ZeroCash(60%) or other altcoins(0.01%)?

A

I would say closer to ZeroCash. I've heard from the relevant experts that Monero is not computationally-efficient enough to stand on its own, but I have similar problems with ZeroCash standing on its own (it is almost "too private", for people to check and make sure it's working correctly). However, I think both (and/or, the concept of "coin privacy") will be among the first practical, usable, sidechain applications. I think that people will sidechain coins over, mix them on the sidechain, and then send them back.
legendary
tbh Monero ppl got the best signatures on this forum Grin

The Monero community also seems to have the smallest percentage of members participating in paid signature campaigns which I think is a good thing.

amen!

please stay out of those fucking spammy sig campaigns guys. I would hate to put yall on ignore, already over 2k entries because of sig spammers.

At that point why not just disable signatures in your profile settings?

Some people have signatures that are interesting and worth seeing. What I'd like is the ability to disable signature by individual account.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250

The Monero community also seems to have the smallest percentage of members participating in paid signature campaigns which I think is a good thing.

amen!

please stay out of those fucking spammy sig campaigns guys. I would hate to put yall on ignore, already over 2k entries because of sig spammers.

My plan is to eventually use my signature space to help promote businesses that accept Monero, but I will do it for free and not accept payment. Currently I am linking to the fluffypony speech at Bitcoinference 2015.
legendary

His qualifier could be interpreted as perhaps saying he does't support it. He's saying he supports some magic fairy dust version of it, not any actual implementation, which will always have tradeoffs.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Agreed.  I'm not on this board to earn an extra $30 a week.  I'm after vastly larger goals than that.  Additionally, if I am the quality of poster that a true future currency standard deserves, my signature space should be worth a lot more than a paltry $30 a week.  Wink

I think of $30 as 60 XMR/week. That is 2800 XMR a year for doing what I'm doing anyway.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514

amen!

legendary
Activity: 874
Merit: 1000
monero

amen!

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

Agreed.  I'm not on this board to earn an extra $30 a week.  I'm after vastly larger goals than that.  Additionally, if I am the quality of poster that a true future currency standard deserves, my signature space should be worth a lot more than a paltry $30 a week.  Wink

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

... I set "Latest" under forum view and the site ignores me and keeps "oldest" but it accepts "weighted" just fine ...

Same here.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Tough week, pretty frustrated just vented here. My bad, I know you guys spent alot of time on it. I set "Latest" under forum view and the site ignores me and keeps "oldest" but it accepts "weighted" just fine a method which I abore. I thought the issue was JS related.

I would still like to see a wordpress mirror but am not even sure if it is possible with this custom site.
Jump to: