Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 752. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
I have downloaded the just released windows 0.9 beta.  When I try to start mining in simplewallet I get the following;

Error: This command assume a trusted daemon.  Enable with --trusted-daemon

I tried using the command --trusted-daemon in both the daemon and simple wallet but get the message "unknown command".  I also tried --trusted-daemon in combination with start_mining in simple wallet which also doesn't work.

Add --trusted-daemon to the simplewallet command line, not in the console. That is, at the same place you put --wallet-file, or --daemon-host, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1008

Also include link to the spiffy new TAILS: https://tails.boum.org/news/version_1.7/   Cool

Tails and Monero are still incompatible due to Tails only supporting 32-bit, true?

There has been some confusion about this for some time:

Does Tails work with 64-bit processors?
Yes. Tails automatically detects the type of processor of the computer and loads a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel accordingly

I don't know whether Tails and Monero are compatible but if not 64 bit support doesn't seem to be the reason. (The new Monero can be built for 32 bit also.)

Well, Tails is nothing more than a routingtable with native Tor support -> aka Transparent Proxy Setup.
I am using Monero through Tor, take a look at my Tutorial for rerouting all TCP Traffic through TOR  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Also include link to the spiffy new TAILS: https://tails.boum.org/news/version_1.7/   Cool

Tails and Monero are still incompatible due to Tails only supporting 32-bit, true?

There has been some confusion about this for some time:

Does Tails work with 64-bit processors?
Yes. Tails automatically detects the type of processor of the computer and loads a 32-bit or a 64-bit kernel accordingly

I don't know whether Tails and Monero are compatible but if not 64 bit support doesn't seem to be the reason. (The new Monero can be built for 32 bit also.)
Activity: 770
Merit: 504

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
I have downloaded the just released windows 0.9 beta.  When I try to start mining in simplewallet I get the following;

Error: This command assume a trusted daemon.  Enable with --trusted-daemon

I tried using the command --trusted-daemon in both the daemon and simple wallet but get the message "unknown command".  I also tried --trusted-daemon in combination with start_mining in simple wallet which also doesn't work.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Crosspost from [XMR] speculation, thanks to kazuki49

theres a new beta version: https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip so the courageous folks who use crypto on windows can get on the latest build.

Is that different than the 0.9 windows beta that has been out for a while?

it is still beta but should have bugfixes MoneroMooo constantly pushes on github, fluffy compiled it yesterday: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/474#issuecomment-152823852

Sometimes I get the feeling that the development of Monero should be limited to GNU/Linux (or at least to Unix like OS) until most the development goals are reached. Those wishing to run Monero on Windows can be provided with a pre-configured Virtual Box GNU/Linux VM and instructions on installing Virtualbox.

Does anyone seriously believe that one can have financial privacy running Monero on Windows 10?

Of course not. And any Windows that is not end-of-life is affected by the new policies and will likely have malicious updates pushed to them by Microsoft.

But NOT supporting Windows is a PR disaster, as people will attack it.

Windows installation = teachable moment

Make lusers click-through an "I understand Win10 is logging my every keystroke, and agree using *nix or *BSD would be a much smarter choice" prompt.

Also include link to the spiffy new TAILS: https://tails.boum.org/news/version_1.7/   Cool
legendary
Activity: 1276
Code:
2015-Nov-03 12:22:28.747951 [RPC0]ERROR src/cryptonote_core/blockchain.cpp:1595
    Ours and foreign blockchain have only genesis block in common... o.O`

Just got this. Nice one, eh? This is on testnet, btw.

Does anyone know what might have caused it? (new self-compiled daemon, but old blockchain data. removed lmdb dir as instructed)

Does it otherwise work ? If you have removed the blockchain, the newly created blockchain will only have the genesis block to start with, so any (valid) chain will have only the genesis block in common with it.
Activity: 518
Merit: 502
Code:
2015-Nov-03 12:22:28.747951 [RPC0]ERROR src/cryptonote_core/blockchain.cpp:1595
    Ours and foreign blockchain have only genesis block in common... o.O`

Just got this. Nice one, eh? This is on testnet, btw.

Does anyone know what might have caused it? (new self-compiled daemon, but old blockchain data. removed lmdb dir as instructed)
legendary
Activity: 1008
Sometimes I get the feeling that the development of Monero should be limited to GNU/Linux (or at least to Unix like OS) until most the development goals are reached. Those wishing to run Monero on Windows can be provided with a pre-configured Virtual Box GNU/Linux VM and instructions on installing Virtualbox.

Does anyone seriously believe that one can have financial privacy running Monero on Windows 10?

Major corporations use Windows for billions/trillions of dollars worth of financial transactions all the time, and they care about privacy. Apart from all the innovative accounting/tax dodging, they don't want their rivals knowing their dealings. Just my .02 XMR.
Q

Well, Windows was never designed to be private or secure. I hope you didn´t miss the "aftersnoden" era, where so called exploits are used by governments and private businessnes to spy on users that use Wndows.
Just because FIAT transactions are processed on a certain OS in 90% majority of cases, does not imply that that specific OS is secure  Shocked Roll Eyes

That´s why i use Linux for crypto and my personal belongs  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
What's happening to Monero? The price is dropping... I this just a move to make profit elsewhere?
Where is monero headed in 2016? I'm not bashing monero, just worried about my investment.

Same USD price.

I'll probably never advocate anyone buy XMR.

They can if they want but I will only ever try to see how the technology can fit into a niche of society and show them how it works (if I ever get to a point where I feel I'm confident enough to talk about XMR to others) outside of this forum.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
What's happening to Monero? The price is dropping... I this just a move to make profit elsewhere?
Where is monero headed in 2016? I'm not bashing monero, just worried about my investment.

its holding steady in fiat terms.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Major corporations use Windows for billions/trillions of dollars worth of financial transactions all the time, and they care about privacy. Apart from all the innovative accounting/tax dodging, they don't want their rivals knowing their dealings. Just my .02 XMR.
Q
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Blood is pouring through the alt coin streets.

Eth is still around $0.9, XMR is still around $0.35. The price is stable. The price based on bitcoin has dropped a lot. That is because bitcoin is more expensive now.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Blood is pouring through the alt coin streets.
Activity: 350
Honestly, I could see that never happening any time soon, even if Monero gets super popular because it's so hard to trace and the governments will probably have a time trying to regulate it...  I guess that would be a good and bad thing at the same time.

they can always use mymonero.com
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

Windows is 90% of the market, and if we are talking about any kind of mass-adoption we need to include smartphones OS too, none of them can be left behind. I still personally recommend Linux for dealing with crypto but we can't expect everyone to follow.

If I'm not mistaken... isn't there something going on (I think with just Apple) that prevents the release of any apps that use any other crypto besides bitcoin?  I think I read that somewhere a while ago Huh

Yeah it does, Monero will need to get a lot more popular to have a chance of getting in the apple store.

Honestly, I could see that never happening any time soon, even if Monero gets super popular because it's so hard to trace and the governments will probably have a time trying to regulate it...  I guess that would be a good and bad thing at the same time.

Windows is 90% of the market, and if we are talking about any kind of mass-adoption we need to include smartphones OS too, none of them can be left behind. I still personally recommend Linux for dealing with crypto but we can't expect everyone to follow.

If I'm not mistaken... isn't there something going on (I think with just Apple) that prevents the release of any apps that use any other crypto besides bitcoin?  I think I read that somewhere a while ago Huh

Yeah it does, Monero will need to get a lot more popular to have a chance of getting in the apple store.
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

Jump to: