Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 756. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend
Hey guys, so I think I've asked this once before but still kind of confused on what to do... if I have an old windows that might be a 32-bit computer (still having trouble figuring that out; newb problem, I know) and wanting to run a full node to support the network... would it be beneficial just to wait for the .9 windows release coming up soon? Also, would it be easier to instal Linux to do this stuff?  Or, if I do have a 32-bit computer, is it just basically pointless to run these things at all?  

I believe it won't work on 32-bit.

0.9 does work on 32 bit (or at least it should).

Just for shits and giggles... let's find out if it builds on ARM!

It does, and even has some optimized ARM asm code. People run nodes on RPi2

What is an ARM code? Is this something I can copy and paste on a terminal on windows and run?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Hey guys, so I think I've asked this once before but still kind of confused on what to do... if I have an old windows that might be a 32-bit computer (still having trouble figuring that out; newb problem, I know) and wanting to run a full node to support the network... would it be beneficial just to wait for the .9 windows release coming up soon? Also, would it be easier to instal Linux to do this stuff?  Or, if I do have a 32-bit computer, is it just basically pointless to run these things at all?  

Just for shits and giggles... let's find out if it builds on ARM!

It does, and even has some optimized ARM asm code. People run nodes on RPi2
legendary
Hey guys, so I think I've asked this once before but still kind of confused on what to do... if I have an old windows that might be a 32-bit computer (still having trouble figuring that out; newb problem, I know) and wanting to run a full node to support the network... would it be beneficial just to wait for the .9 windows release coming up soon? Also, would it be easier to instal Linux to do this stuff?  Or, if I do have a 32-bit computer, is it just basically pointless to run these things at all? 

Activity: 41
Merit: 0
I've upgraded Ubuntu (with Monero daemon) to 15.10. So now there is libboost 1.58 instead of 1.55 and now Monero daemon (built 2015-Oct-14) doesn't want to start because "libboost_chrono.so.1.55.0" doesn't exist. I've tried to remove libboost 1.58 and then to install "libboost1.55-all-dev" but stucked at "Unable to locate package libboost1.55-all-dev" error. I'm not an expert in Linux usage so I don't know how to solve this. Please help.

15.10 doesn't appear to have a boost 1.55 package so you will have to recompile Monero.

Besides this what are the other major differences that users should be aware of with 15.10?

There was nothing beside this in my case. Only Monero recompile is needed after "15.04 to 15.10" upgrade and then fresh Monero daemon will work fine with libboost from latest Ubuntu.
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend
Hey guys, so I think I've asked this once before but still kind of confused on what to do... if I have an old windows that might be a 32-bit computer (still having trouble figuring that out; newb problem, I know) and wanting to run a full node to support the network... would it be beneficial just to wait for the .9 windows release coming up soon? Also, would it be easier to instal Linux to do this stuff?  Or, if I do have a 32-bit computer, is it just basically pointless to run these things at all? 
Activity: 202
Merit: 100
Monero Technical Analysis For 31/10/2015 – Imminent Reversal?

In my previous Monero technical analysis, I speculated that the high-volume candle on the 30th of September was potentially signaling a change in market sentiment, but that didn’t turn out to be the case. Instead, price continued to slide lower towards the low of the candle at 0.0013. Yesterday, another daily Pin-Bar has formed right on the 0.0013 support level.

Read More: http://themerkle.com/market-analysis/monero-technical-analysis-for-31102015-imminent-reversal/
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
It is not rocket science to port Forknote for Monero, but what is the point with no proper windows build and almost none side projects Sad One cannot even get a block explorer if one creates a private chain.

moooon ticket, hah. I'm glad ethereum is getting some experimentation with some big corporate backing.. it will push things forward hopefully, and eventually someone will stumble upon the killer app for "blockchain technology" (barf). I'm pretty sure, however, that ethereum doesn't fix the fungibility problem of using blockchain tech as currency, nor does it solve the traceability and linkability problems of using blockchain tech for anything else. We might use ethereum, someday, to make a contract..... but we'll probably pay for the contract using monero.
legendary
Activity: 874
Merit: 1000
monero
spammy advertisement

at least a little additional explanation would have been nice, right now it appears you're just spamming. I also get a warning that your ssl/tsl ceritifcate is invalid.

At the very least they could have used a screenshot where Monero is shown. It looks like a price tracking app. You need to really trust the source when downloading things like this because of the danger of malware targeting crypto users.

true, I marked him accordingly.
Activity: 158
spammy advertisement

at least a little additional explanation would have been nice, right now it appears you're just spamming. I also get a warning that your ssl/tsl ceritifcate is invalid.

At the very least they could have used a screenshot where Monero is shown. It looks like a price tracking app. You need to really trust the source when downloading things like this because of the danger of malware targeting crypto users.
legendary
Activity: 874
Merit: 1000
monero
spammy advertisement

Activity: 122
I've upgraded Ubuntu (with Monero daemon) to 15.10. So now there is libboost 1.58 instead of 1.55 and now Monero daemon (built 2015-Oct-14) doesn't want to start because "libboost_chrono.so.1.55.0" doesn't exist. I've tried to remove libboost 1.58 and then to install "libboost1.55-all-dev" but stucked at "Unable to locate package libboost1.55-all-dev" error. I'm not an expert in Linux usage so I don't know how to solve this. Please help.

15.10 doesn't appear to have a boost 1.55 package so you will have to recompile Monero.

Besides this what are the other major differences that users should be aware of with 15.10?
slb
Activity: 598
Merit: 501
It is not rocket science to port Forknote for Monero, but what is the point with no proper windows build and almost none side projects Sad One cannot even get a block explorer if one creates a private chain.

Uhm? -> http://moneroblocks.eu/

Also, windows beta binaries -> https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip
It is still beta. If I or someone else start a service for creating private chains it cannot be based on a beta.
moneroblocks is not open source. Private chains do not benefit of it.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

Uhm? -> http://moneroblocks.eu/

Also, windows beta binaries -> https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip
slb
Activity: 598
Merit: 501
Activity: 335
Merit: 250
For those folks building from source on Mac OS X, it looks like you now need to install berkeley-db to make it work (seemed to start happening a week or two ago). Here is what I install from Brew now, and it compiled after pulling today:

Code:
brew install git boost cmake libevent miniupnpc pkg-config berkeley-db

Thanks for this.
Activity: 198
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
For those folks building from source on Mac OS X, it looks like you now need to install berkeley-db to make it work (seemed to start happening a week or two ago). Here is what I install from Brew now, and it compiled after pulling today:

Code:
brew install git boost cmake libevent miniupnpc pkg-config berkeley-db

This should now be fixed. If it still breaks, please include the errors (not just the last generic make error).

Edit: actually, it's not merged to master yet, will be soon hopefully.

Thanks! Recompiled.
Full sync ahead! Smiley
legendary

Jump to: