Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 754. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

You know that we spent a ton of effort making sure the forum works without Javascript, right? We eventually even recently fixed the JS menu, which was a pain as Bootstrap likes a JS menu...but all sorted now:)

No one will deny your efforts, but I think many people in cryptoland are very wary of any Javascript these days.  I religiously run noscript, and am very picky about what website's I disable it on.  

I know, I know - if you don't trust the official Monero website, who do you trust?  But I still think it's worth considering why some might be very wary of a Javascript forum (especially the ultra-privacy advocates that may make up Monero's earliest adopters).  

I think you misunderstood, fluffy is saying there was a lot of efforts put into ensuring the no-JS version of the forum works well.

In addition, it's not about people not trusting the Monero website. Rather about people not wanting to leak (private) information via Javascript.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free

You know that we spent a ton of effort making sure the forum works without Javascript, right? We eventually even recently fixed the JS menu, which was a pain as Bootstrap likes a JS menu...but all sorted now:)

No one will deny your efforts, but I think many people in cryptoland are very wary of any Javascript these days.  I religiously run noscript, and am very picky about what website's I disable it on.  

I know, I know - if you don't trust the official Monero website, who do you trust?  But I still think it's worth considering why some might be very wary of a Javascript forum (especially the ultra-privacy advocates that may make up Monero's earliest adopters).  

I think you misunderstood, fluffy is saying there was a lot of efforts put into ensuring the no-JS version of the forum works well.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504

edit: I totally misread that.  Oops, sorry.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

We need a non javascript mirror. That is the only way any real traffic is going to happen.

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

I am on GitHub, I've already made a few small pull requests, and I find your reply doesn't add something to the conversation.

I agree, edited out.

AFA a MoneroDice sig. I would do that in a hearbeat. Payed in XMR is a huge bonus, then I wouldn't even have to goto an exchange. Smiley
Activity: 294
Merit: 260
I happen to find this forum difficult to follow as well. It might be the lack of sane defaults, or at least intuitive defaults for those that are used to the classic-style forums such as this (i.e. everyone).

I believe sort by Oldest and expand all by default would be a nice start to welcome new users.

Add a pull request. Oh your not on github? Sorry can't help you.

I am on GitHub, I've already made a few small pull requests, and I find your reply doesn't add something to the conversation.

We need a non javascript mirror. That is the only way any traffic is going to happen. But this is just rehashing the same thing every couple months or so and it stays the same.

Ditto.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
tbh Monero ppl got the best signatures on this forum Grin

with the best content ;-)
a monerodice sig ad campaign would be nice - i'd participate (i strongly prefer one which does NOT pay per post though)

EDIT: payouts in XMR ofc ;-)
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
tbh Monero ppl got the best signatures on this forum Grin
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

On a side note:

I think I'm gonna go sell out, what's a sig campaign thats not a scam?

Noooo.... don't turn to the dark side.  But if you must, can we at least see if Fluffy wants to start a MoneroDice campaign so new sig spam will be at least (somewhat) productive?

yes a MoneroDice signature campaign would be fine  Cool

On a side note:

Noooo.... don't turn to the dark side.  But if you must, can we at least see if Fluffy wants to start a MoneroDice campaign so new sig spam will be at least (somewhat) productive?
Activity: 350
40 XMR ($17ish) per hour for a competent programmer who also understands these concepts isn't just a good deal.... it's crazy cheap.  

Hopefully their efforts directly result in that 40 XMR being worth much more one day, but you'd have trouble hiring someone to program a competent flash game for your for $17/hr, much less assist with a project of this importance and complexity.  I'm happy to donate at that rate.

I agree, Mooo has shown to be an extremely competent and fruitful developer.
legendary

Also, the official forum is forum.getmonero.org. Announcements and discussions are often posted there instead of here, though may also get cross posted here.

I've tried to use the official forums before and just found them unpleasant... it's hard to put my finger on it; maybe it has to do with the alignment or style of the text, or perhaps the old-school nested comment trees... not 100% sure.  I'm sure someone at one point worked very hard to put them together, so I hope no one takes it personally, but I would almost rather Monero move over to a Simple Machines Forum standard itself.  

This place catches a lot of shit, but with a few exceptions its actually very functional and pleasant to use.

I agree, not a big fan of that forum design.

You guys know that you can change that, just click on the little gear button at the top to go to settings (https://forum.getmonero.org/user/settings) and under "Forum View" just change "Sort posts by" to Latest or Oldest, per your preference. Then you'll never see a nested thread again:)

I happen to find this forum difficult to follow as well. It might be the lack of sane defaults, or at least intuitive defaults for those that are used to the classic-style forums such as this (i.e. everyone).

I believe sort by Oldest and expand all by default would be a nice start to welcome new users.

We need a non javascript mirror. That is the only way any real traffic is going to happen.

On a side note:

40 XMR ($17ish) per hour for a competent programmer who also understands these concepts isn't just a good deal.... it's crazy cheap. 

Hopefully their efforts directly result in that 40 XMR being worth much more one day, but you'd have trouble hiring someone to program a competent flash game for your for $17/hr, much less assist with a project of this importance and complexity.  I'm happy to donate at that rate.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

Also, the official forum is forum.getmonero.org. Announcements and discussions are often posted there instead of here, though may also get cross posted here.

I've tried to use the official forums before and just found them unpleasant... it's hard to put my finger on it; maybe it has to do with the alignment or style of the text, or perhaps the old-school nested comment trees... not 100% sure.  I'm sure someone at one point worked very hard to put them together, so I hope no one takes it personally, but I would almost rather Monero move over to a Simple Machines Forum standard itself.  

This place catches a lot of shit, but with a few exceptions its actually very functional and pleasant to use.

You guys know that you can change that, just click on the little gear button at the top to go to settings (https://forum.getmonero.org/user/settings) and under "Forum View" just change "Sort posts by" to Latest or Oldest, per your preference. Then you'll never see a nested thread again:)

Agree with the bolded, with that as default setting it would be less difficult for newcomers to follow threads and the forum in general.
Activity: 294
Merit: 260

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

Activity: 476
Meanwhile, according to statistics from coinmarketcap.com the Monero shows the decline in investor interest in the coin, although it applies to all altcoins....
legendary
Sorry. I only edit quotes for brevity, I hate reading big walls of text when I'm just replying to one specific thing.

NP, sheet happens.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Sorry. I only edit quotes for brevity, I hate reading big walls of text when I'm just replying to one specific thing.
Jump to: