Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 751. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
Hello, i would like to start with monero. it sound very promising for me. is there a faucet where i can test the different online and local wallets?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Pardon the ignorance, what exactly is the .9 version release as compared to the others?

The upcoming release that incorporates many performance improvements, notably lower memory requirements owing to storage of the blockchain in a database.

That and the massive improvement to chain privacy from using ring signatures on all transactions.
legendary
Thanks for the input guys.  Last night when I was compiling on the 32GB Micro card I was getting a message that the drive was full and out of space. 

cd
cd bitmonero
make -j2 release-arm7

Could be I was doing something wrong.  I guess in the long run it does not matter what Linux version I use so long as it recent version?

I am hoping to get a working model and learn allot about setting these Rasp Pi's up as a node.  If I can get it all worked out then I might consider setting them up and selling them for XMR for anyone not wanting to mess with it.  I'd only charge for the cost of the equipment and not my labor. 

Maybe there is no market for it and some might be interested if they just want to help the network out.  Just and idea.

With most of those rpi linux distributions there is a step where you have to expand the partition to the size of the media after copying the image. Check the installation instructions.

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-512GB-Memory-SDSDXPA-512G-G46/dp/B00NP699ZI/

Yeah, baby.

Where's the prediction market for the price of these things in 2 years?

Edit: the "small" front seems stuck at 200 GB currently: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A/dp/B00V62XBQQ/

Well you should consider speed too, not only dimensions

I have had terrible experiences with SanDisk products over the years.  I bought a SanDisk SSD last year when I built my mining rig and the damn thing started smoking and almost caught fire. Not even 2 days into the build.  Not to mention their SD cards have all been terrible for me.  I've had good success with Kingston SD cards and for SSD Crucial, Samsung and Kingston SSD's have all been solid.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-512GB-Memory-SDSDXPA-512G-G46/dp/B00NP699ZI/

Yeah, baby.

Edit: the "small" front seems stuck at 200 GB currently: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A/dp/B00V62XBQQ/

Why? Both of these are at the higher end of speed and capacity. In the context of the RPi, both are faster than it supports (AFAIK).
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
Pardon the ignorance, what exactly is the .9 version release as compared to the others?

The upcoming release that incorporates many performance improvements, notably lower memory requirements owing to storage of the blockchain in a database.
Activity: 238

Yeah, baby.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
Thanks for the input guys.  Last night when I was compiling on the 32GB Micro card I was getting a message that the drive was full and out of space. 

cd
cd bitmonero
make -j2 release-arm7

Could be I was doing something wrong.  I guess in the long run it does not matter what Linux version I use so long as it recent version?

I am hoping to get a working model and learn allot about setting these Rasp Pi's up as a node.  If I can get it all worked out then I might consider setting them up and selling them for XMR for anyone not wanting to mess with it.  I'd only charge for the cost of the equipment and not my labor. 

Maybe there is no market for it and some might be interested if they just want to help the network out.  Just and idea.
Activity: 414
So working off these instructions I have a few questions

https://forum.getmonero.org/5/support/360/bitmonerod-node-on-rpi2-working

First do you have to have a 256GB USB drive?  (I have a 100gb usb drive at my disposal now) Will you need that much space on a drive or will an 32GB SD card be enough?  If not enough space should I just load the OS on the USB drive instead of an SD card.  The SD card i have is a class 10 but limited in size.

Second Can raspbian be used instead of ubuntu?

I will let you know that I'm so new to Linux that you could call me a retard.  Seriously I'm that stupid with it.  Only saving grace is I still remember some of my old Dos command line stuff but I realize there are differences when using Linux command line and I'm slowly learning.

The goal is to set up the Rasp Pi 2 as a 24/7 node.  Thanks for any and all help.

Many inexpensive nodes should be set up like this!
legendary
Activity: 1105
...Will you need that much space on a drive or will an 32GB SD card be enough?...
32 GB would be enough for the Monero blockchain + OS for another year or two. Otherwise Monero would be dying.

64 GB cards are reasonably priced (about 20 USD, sometimes less discounted) so that's another option, or just start with 32 GB and plan to upgrade it someday. You want a high quality card but don't bother trying to buy one of the very fast cards because RPi2 doesn't support the high data rates. Performance will be worse on an sdcard compared to a real drive, but usable.

Yeah, baby.

legendary
...Will you need that much space on a drive or will an 32GB SD card be enough?...
32 GB would be enough for the Monero blockchain + OS for another year or two. Otherwise Monero would be dying.

64 GB cards are reasonably priced (about 20 USD, sometimes less discounted) so that's another option, or just start with 32 GB and plan to upgrade it someday. You want a high quality card but don't bother trying to buy one of the very fast cards because RPi2 doesn't support the high data rates. Performance will be worse on an sdcard compared to a real drive, but usable.
Activity: 794
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
So working off these instructions I have a few questions

https://forum.getmonero.org/5/support/360/bitmonerod-node-on-rpi2-working

First do you have to have a 256GB USB drive?  (I have a 100gb usb drive at my disposal now) Will you need that much space on a drive or will an 32GB SD card be enough?  If not enough space should I just load the OS on the USB drive instead of an SD card.  The SD card i have is a class 10 but limited in size.

Second Can raspbian be used instead of ubuntu?

I will let you know that I'm so new to Linux that you could call me a retard.  Seriously I'm that stupid with it.  Only saving grace is I still remember some of my old Dos command line stuff but I realize there are differences when using Linux command line and I'm slowly learning.

The goal is to set up the Rasp Pi 2 as a 24/7 node.  Thanks for any and all help.

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
You can hold down shift + right click folder.  You get "open command prompt here."
Good tip.

The other important variable is the path, which (in Win 7) you'll find in Advanced system settings>Environment Variables, under
Control Panel\System and Security\System
(Right click 'Computer' and select property gets you there).

The path is just a semicolon-separated list of folder locations the system will search for command line programs like simplewallet (so you don't have to change folder to run it).
Q
legendary
Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

so if your on windows, you need to goto the command line. Hit the start button and type cmd into the search thing. a little black icon will appear. click on that. A big black box will pop up.

type

cd /users/yourwindowsusername/desktop/folderwithmonerobinary

(if you put your monero binaries in folderwithmonerobinary on your desktop)

once there, type

simplewallet --trusted-daemon

boom.

You can hold down shift + right click folder.  You get "open command prompt here."
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
I have downloaded the just released windows 0.9 beta.  When I try to start mining in simplewallet I get the following;

Error: This command assume a trusted daemon.  Enable with --trusted-daemon

I tried using the command --trusted-daemon in both the daemon and simple wallet but get the message "unknown command".  I also tried --trusted-daemon in combination with start_mining in simple wallet which also doesn't work.

Add --trusted-daemon to the simplewallet command line, not in the console. That is, at the same place you put --wallet-file, or --daemon-host, etc.

I don't know where this place is, nor how to get there or what to do when I am there Tongue

so if your on windows, you need to goto the command line. Hit the start button and type cmd into the search thing. a little black icon will appear. click on that. A big black box will pop up.

type

cd /users/yourwindowsusername/desktop/folderwithmonerobinary

(if you put your monero binaries in folderwithmonerobinary on your desktop)

once there, type

simplewallet --trusted-daemon

boom.

legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
I don't know where this place is, nor how to get there or what to do when I am there Tongue

Add " --trusted-daemon" (without the quotes, but with the space) just after the string "simplewallet" in your command, such that --trusted-daemon does not directly touch any other non-whitespace character. If you're using some script someone else wrote, edit it to change that (or post it if you don't know how to edit one, and I'll make the change and post it).
Activity: 131
Great news, the 0.9 version will be publish

Grin Grin  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
I have downloaded the just released windows 0.9 beta.  When I try to start mining in simplewallet I get the following;

Error: This command assume a trusted daemon.  Enable with --trusted-daemon

I tried using the command --trusted-daemon in both the daemon and simple wallet but get the message "unknown command".  I also tried --trusted-daemon in combination with start_mining in simple wallet which also doesn't work.

Add --trusted-daemon to the simplewallet command line, not in the console. That is, at the same place you put --wallet-file, or --daemon-host, etc.

Jump to: