Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 750. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 243
Merit: 125
Hi fluffypony and all the core devs!

How do you estimate an official release date of Monero 0.9 client with new embedded database? I read here for some months, that it is 'almost' ready.
But when 'almost' will become 'official'?

https://getmonero.org/downloads/
Windows, 64-bit
Current Version: 0.8.8.6
SHA Hash: facbeb2e408cf8b9a46534363eba161dbb047654

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3r9rev/updated_monero_windows_09_beta/cwnayxq?context=3

So I am guessing somewhere this month.

Thank you for fast answer!
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Jamie Dimon (JP Morgan Chase CEO) thinks Bitcoin will be stopped. This is my response

https://twitter.com/XMRpromotions/status/662214071907807232

Bitcoin cannot be "stopped" either but it can be monitored without the permission of its users thanks to its transparent blockchain.

With Monero, transparency is still possible but only with the permission of the user by sharing their viewkey. Monero transactions are unlinkable and private by design. Monero is not only unstoppable but perfectly fungible.

The great thing about XMRpromotions is:-

1. It ferments a lazy community, because "Fuck it, XMRpromotions is on top of it and he's officially part of Monero."

2. It makes outsiders and potential investors think that Monero would be nothing without the Monero team having to promote it this way. Implied conclusion is that Monero is a risky investment because the promotion does not come organically.

Monero devs have nothing to do with XMRPromotions, as far as I know. Therefore, the "promotion" is happening organically.

I disagree that the community is lazy. Rather, it tends to attract a larger proportion of developer types that are inspired by the technology. They donate their hard work to further the goals laid out by the core devs. Then there are community members like AmericanPegasus, who is genuinely a marketing force of his own. We are like internet construction workers steadily going about our tasks to build the future of money.

+1

Although it might be better if promotions were changed into something like enthusiast. XMRpromotions, would you consider changing your name on twitter to something like XMRenthusiast? If I recall correctly, one can easily change his name + handle on twitter. XMRpromotions sounds a bit too affliated with the core team to be honest. That said, I think you are doing a great job and should continue doing so.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Jamie Dimon (JP Morgan Chase CEO) thinks Bitcoin will be stopped. This is my response

Bitcoin cannot be "stopped" either but it can be monitored without the permission of its users thanks to its transparent blockchain.

With Monero, transparency is still possible but only with the permission of the user by sharing their viewkey. Monero transactions are unlinkable and private by design. Monero is not only unstoppable but perfectly fungible.

1. It ferments a lazy community, because "Fuck it, XMRpromotions is on top of it and he's officially part of Monero."

2. It makes outsiders and potential investors think that Monero would be nothing without the Monero team having to promote it this way. Implied conclusion is that Monero is a risky investment because the promotion does not come organically.

Monero devs have nothing to do with XMRPromotions, as far as I know. Therefore, the "promotion" is happening organically.

I disagree that the community is lazy. Rather, it tends to attract a larger proportion of developer types that are inspired by the technology. They donate their hard work to further the goals laid out by the core devs. Then there are community members like AmericanPegasus, who is genuinely a marketing force of his own. We are like internet construction workers steadily going about our tasks to build the future of money.

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

1. There are lots of people who are working hard to further Monero adoption. This community is not lazy. Nobody has been given the impression that I speak for Monero in any official capacity.  My efforts to support Monero are solely because I believe in it.

2. Promotion does come organically. I am a volunteer and work for free because I believe so much in the three pillars of Monero: privacy, decentralization, scalability.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/2u4m2u/the_thee_pillars_of_monero/
All cryptocurrencies have risks. My goal is to promote use and adoption, not investment.

I may just be a volunteer but I always welcome feedback and suggestions. You can provide it here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/monero-promotions-twitter-now-crowdsourcing-content-1153751

It is essential that a wider audience is introduced to Monero, but that does not mean I have all the answers. If you have ideas which you think will be more effective, implement them! We are a decentralized community and each one of us makes decisions on our own.

Having said the above, I do think teamwork is essential. I have discussed scripts for approaching merchants with some of you. For others I have provided leads and invitations to possible podcasts, AMAs etc. I have never represented myself to be a Monero developer. In fact I ask technical questions like everyone else.  Both the community and development team have been essential resources for me.
legendary

How do you estimate an official release date of Monero 0.9 client with new embedded database? I read here for some months, that it is 'almost' ready.

Windows, 64-bit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3r9rev/updated_monero_windows_09_beta/cwnayxq?context=3

So I am guessing somewhere this month.
Activity: 243
Merit: 125

Windows, 64-bit
Activity: 212
Merit: 100

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Are there still some situations where we use Berkeley db namely 32 bit or ARM systems?

Yes bdb is used for 32 bit (including ARM). ARM 64-bit when those platforms become more widely available, will be able to use LMDB.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Have anyone tested Monero 0.9 to see if it is system crash safe?

Bitcoin Core wallet is a nightmare because its database is quite fragile. If I closes the wallet suddenly, OS stops unexpectedly, I need to spend 3-4 days to reindex the database and re-sync block chain from the beginning

jesus really?

i've beaten the hell outta 0.9. For instance, the development branch (which goes above and beyond 0.9, but uses 0.9 as its base) for a while couldn't be exited because the 0mq wasn't all wired up properly. So how do you stop the program? kill 9! or the plenty of times I loaded up bitmonerod in a putty terminal and then lost my wifi connection so had to kill the daemon (before I learned to through rpc calls at it). Long story short, LMDB is great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Memory-Mapped_Database

edited to add:

Quote from: wikipedia
LMDB was designed from the start to resist data loss in the face of system and application crashes.

kudos to the monero devs for pushing this development. Are we the only cryptocurrency using LMDB?

Are there still some situations where we use Berkeley db namely 32 bit or ARM systems?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Ledger Journal editor is soliciting a review article on CryptoNote currencies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3rjz1b/would_anyone_be_interested_in_writing_a/

Tacotime, please pick up the white courtesy phone...
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
Ledger Journal editor is soliciting a review article on CryptoNote currencies:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3rjz1b/would_anyone_be_interested_in_writing_a/
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Pardon the ignorance, what exactly is the .9 version release as compared to the others?

3 biggest changes:

1. You don't need 6 GB RAM and more to run bitmonerod
2. You don't need to wait for 5-6 minutes to run bitmonerod or see it exit
3. Monero's database is portable. Feel free to copy it from Linux to Windows or vice versa

Monero's usability and robustness in 0.9 release has vastly improved. I believe that end user will like this release

And the mandatory mixin. That can't be stressed enuf how critical that is for moneros true function as truly fungible digital cash.

It also has a lt of fancy new wallet features. View only wallets is cool. Did luigi integrate he confirm payment received feature? Well, that's also cool but might not be in there. Here's also some magic to make a fresh node sync in 45 mins in an ssd with a good net connection. I assume stability improvements as well, cause I saw someone report that the old bins would only last for 3-5days or something. New head runs forever.

He didn't, but he might be able to using mooo's prove payment as a base.

The watch only wallet kinda does that now, but would have to scan the whole chain (clunky for one transaction).
legendary
Activity: 1106

Bitcoin Core wallet is a nightmare because its database is quite fragile. If I closes the wallet suddenly, OS stops unexpectedly, I need to spend 3-4 days to reindex the database and re-sync block chain from the beginning

jesus really?

i've beaten the hell outta 0.9. For instance, the development branch (which goes above and beyond 0.9, but uses 0.9 as its base) for a while couldn't be exited because the 0mq wasn't all wired up properly. So how do you stop the program?

Indeed, that issue happened 5-6 times with Bitcoin Core wallet v0.11: Windows crashed, installed new program that required Windows restart that closed the wallet forcefully, blockchain stored in an external hard disk that was dismounted in an unexpected way (USB issue), MacOS restart, Mac OS closed forcefully because of draining laptop battery ...

After that I was notified that Bitcoin blockchain was corrupted and required me to wait for it to be re-indexed. It was quite a time consuming task that could take several days. Sometimes I lost my patient and re-synced blockchain from the beginning. It is faster.

I have no such issues with Monero 0.9 yet.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

jesus really?

i've beaten the hell outta 0.9. For instance, the development branch (which goes above and beyond 0.9, but uses 0.9 as its base) for a while couldn't be exited because the 0mq wasn't all wired up properly. So how do you stop the program? kill 9! or the plenty of times I loaded up bitmonerod in a putty terminal and then lost my wifi connection so had to kill the daemon (before I learned to through rpc calls at it). Long story short, LMDB is great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Memory-Mapped_Database

edited to add:

Quote from: wikipedia
LMDB was designed from the start to resist data loss in the face of system and application crashes.

kudos to the monero devs for pushing this development. Are we the only cryptocurrency using LMDB?
legendary
Activity: 1624
I don't know where this place is, nor how to get there or what to do when I am there Tongue

Add " --trusted-daemon" (without the quotes, but with the space) just after the string "simplewallet" in your command, such that --trusted-daemon does not directly touch any other non-whitespace character. If you're using some script someone else wrote, edit it to change that (or post it if you don't know how to edit one, and I'll make the change and post it).

Thanks but I believe you know too much, that is being on another level, to understand how truly clueless I am. Tongue  BTW looking forward to donating to the next round of funding for the great work you will continue to be doing Smiley

@GingerAle, I think you know how clueless I am, Thank you very much  Wink  I be solo mining Cheesy

@farfiman, well I guess I am not totally clueless as I remembered that trick which I believe you mentioned before but I didn't know what to do after that. Cool
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1260
Pardon the ignorance, what exactly is the .9 version release as compared to the others?

3 biggest changes:

3. Monero's database is portable. Feel free to copy it from Linux to Windows or vice versa

Monero's usability and robustness in 0.9 release has vastly improved. I believe that end user will like this release

And the mandatory mixin. That can't be stressed enuf how critical that is for moneros true function as truly fungible digital cash.

It also has a lt of fancy new wallet features. View only wallets is cool. Did luigi integrate he confirm payment received feature? Well, that's also cool but might not be in there. Here's also some magic to make a fresh node sync in 45 mins in an ssd with a good net connection. I assume stability improvements as well, cause I saw someone report that the old bins would only last for 3-5days or something. New head runs forever.

legendary

3 biggest changes:

legendary
Hello, i would like to start with monero. it sound very promising for me. is there a faucet where i can test the different online and local wallets?

Give me your address and I'll send you some playmoney :-) There is no faucet yet, but if I recall correctly MoneroDice would implement one.
Jump to: