Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 772. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 400
Merit: 263
Discussion in the making on the fungibility of BTC:

Bitcointalk link:
This Might Sounds Strange: Bitcoin Violates the Principle of Money Fungibility
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
I'd like to announce a product request, something like http://bitseed.org/product/core/

Instead of running Monero node on a home PC or VPS, I would prefer a dedicated router-sized device, which consumes less power and has no additional overhead. With built-in updates management, i2p capability and equipped with SSD - that's what I'm looking for )) Hardware developers, can U here that?
Activity: 400
Merit: 263
Current map of nodes:

snip

MAP

I'm not sure how accurate that map is. I have been running a full node in Italy now for a little more than a month and it has yet to show on the map.
(yes, it's working, > 30 INC connections)
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
New Zealand, India, Spain, and Mexico need some Monero love. Others too of course, but those were obvious to me.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Current map of nodes:

legendary
Quite funny, i noticed that i am a Senior Member by now and secondly i just found out that i am the only full node in my country  Shocked Grin
Both findings make me kind of proud yeeeaaahhhhh  Grin Cheesy Wink

reminded by that graph that there's no presence in south america.

Well that's kind of sad if you take in consideration the naming of MONERO. Maybe we should host a VPS there....

based on that map,

shhhhhhh

don't tell the chinese en masse about Monero ....yet.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
legendary
anyone have any testnet XMR they can donate/send to me?

Just do start_mining? The testnet difficulty must be pretty low so you'll get blocks within a few minutes I'd guess. You'll have to wait for them to mature though.

that's what I planned on doing but in the interest of saving time (not sure how many i wanted to mine) as I was waiting for the blockchain to download/sync i'd ask any testnet millionaires  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Just do start_mining? The testnet difficulty must be pretty low so you'll get blocks within a few minutes I'd guess. You'll have to wait for them to mature though.
legendary
Activity: 122
<- That guy volunteered for the PT translation, atm just waiting for the multi-language backend to be ready.

i'l volunteering for a dutch translation and an attempt at a translation to Esperanto Wink

backend would be useful... We could use transifix or something like that.

Transifex was suggested a long time ago. Read fluffypony comments about jekyll to understand some reasons for the delay. Many people have plans that are on hold now until next tagged release and website translations.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
<- That guy volunteered for the PT translation, atm just waiting for the multi-language backend to be ready.

i'l volunteering for a dutch translation and an attempt at a translation to Esperanto Wink

backend would be useful... We could use transifix or something like that.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
Well the strategy should be presence in south america, so we would need a native translation to esperanto

Huh... maybe Spanish would be more useful than Esperanto?  Smiley

Portuguese and spanish if you want to cover the southern continent of america  Cheesy

i thought someone did do a portugese translation .....

This was adapted from a previous one that was outdated. We just need more content to attract the brazucas Smiley
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11984220
Activity: 306
Merit: 251
Just asked this on the mining thread but wanted to post here as these pages are viewed a lot more than the mining thread.

Has anyone here ever mined with a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?    If so which mining software did you use or is there any support for mining with R-Pi?

Then I got to thinking is mining possible with multiple Pi's running in tandem.  So I'm wondering if mining can be done by linking the R-Pi's together with a program like Putty?

Any thoughts, links appreciated.

I just bought a R-Pi with a small case and 3.5" LCD that you mount to the case.  Setting up another Node with it as soon as it comes in.  

I'm not understanding how you would link them together with Putty.  Putty is just an SSH/Telnet/etc client.  It's not something like OpenMPI or clustering software.

Pi's don't have integrated AES, so the hash rate is going to be abysmal.  Absolutely not worth it in any way.

But let's pretend...

Let's say you had 5000 of them, power is free, and Wolf's modified (non-AES) CPU miner would run within the memory constraints of a Pi.  I'd probably do a (i)PXE boot with a standardized image and build one server as a pool.  You'd get pseudo-linking/clustering via the pool.

My noob ass knows enough to sound stupid, thanks for the enlightenment  Smiley  I'm just looking for ways to improve mining and do a little weekend tinkering while I have some time.  I am looking forward to the Wolf AMD GPU miner.  My 280x's could be pulling more especially after seeing some screen shots of some beta testers that have run it.  

For now I will just tinker with setting up my R-Pi as another node help the network out.
legendary
So I was dicking around with the source code to try to visualize what some of the data created in generate_keys function looks like when running ./simplewallet, and I get this for the supposed SECRET_KEY:

(sorry the output is garbled, not sure why other than the wout function I'm using is looking for a \n character)

There appears to be 3 different times when generate_keys (in /src/crypto/crypto.cpp) gets called while running ./simplewallet

Yes at the end of outputting each index of "sec" there is a "endl" for new line. Not sure why the output is all jacked up.

Any input or tips would be helpful. (I'm finding that there are a ton of programming concepts I'm having to revisit while reading the source  Grin)

Round #1 after running simplewallet (create secret_spend_key?)
"sec" is initialized as "" empty

Round #2 after running simple wallet (create view_key?)

Round #3 after running simple wallet (not sure why it gets run a 3rd time???)

Here is the code I was adding output statements to (I used wcout instead of cout as I was getting even more garbage characters with cout):

Code:
secret_key crypto_ops::generate_keys(public_key &pub, secret_key &sec, const secret_key& recovery_key, bool recover) {
    lock_guard lock(random_lock);
    ge_p3 point;

secret_key rng;

//output sec #1

if (recover)
    {
      rng = recovery_key;
    }
    else
    {
      random_scalar(rng);
    }
    sec = rng;
//output sec #2

sc_reduce32(&sec);
//output sec #3

ge_scalarmult_base(&point, &sec);
//output sec #4

ge_p3_tobytes(&pub, &point);

return rng;
  }
Activity: 201
Just asked this on the mining thread but wanted to post here as these pages are viewed a lot more than the mining thread.

Has anyone here ever mined with a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?    If so which mining software did you use or is there any support for mining with R-Pi?

Then I got to thinking is mining possible with multiple Pi's running in tandem.  So I'm wondering if mining can be done by linking the R-Pi's together with a program like Putty?

I just bought a R-Pi with a small case and 3.5" LCD that you mount to the case.  Setting up another Node with it as soon as it comes in. 

I'm not understanding how you would link them together with Putty.  Putty is just an SSH/Telnet/etc client.  It's not something like OpenMPI or clustering software.

Pi's don't have integrated AES, so the hash rate is going to be abysmal.  Absolutely not worth it in any way.

But let's pretend...

Let's say you had 5000 of them, power is free, and Wolf's modified (non-AES) CPU miner would run within the memory constraints of a Pi.  I'd probably do a (i)PXE boot with a standardized image and build one server as a pool.  You'd get pseudo-linking/clustering via the pool.

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

Has anyone here ever mined with a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B?    If so which mining software did you use or is there any support for mining with R-Pi?

Then I got to thinking is mining possible with multiple Pi's running in tandem.  So I'm wondering if mining can be done by linking the R-Pi's together with a program like Putty?

I just bought a R-Pi with a small case and 3.5" LCD that you mount to the case.  Setting up another Node with it as soon as it comes in. 
Activity: 201
In MasterMined710's post history, you can see where they're anxious to get their hands on additional Dash Masternodes via price fluctuations...

Doesn't that sort of go against the notion of decentralization?  It would seem that a legitimate Dash proponent that advocates decentralization would want to stick with owning just one Masternode.  Mathematically speaking, owning more than one masternode violates the idea of decentralization.  At it's very best, it's diluted decentralization.

Masternodes are what does the heavy lifting.  But yet they encourage owning as many as you can through financial incentives.  How can you not see that at some point it's going to come crumbling down?  That's a huge security flaw.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
As for Monero mixin compared to darksend mixing rounds, all Monero "mixing" is completely decentralized and there are no master nodes on which to rely.
semantics. DASH is just as decentralized as monero probably a lot more.
 how many nodes does monero currently have?

You have been confused by cargo cult brainwashing and stressful bag-holding.

Here, read this: http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/measuring-decentralization/.

The measure of decentralization is the cost of running a full contributing (access+verify+amplify) node.

A full Dash node costs 1000 Dash plus the other costs.  That's ~$2500, and terrible for decentralization as you approach Pareto convergence.

A full Monero node costs about $100 for an old laptop.  Excellent for decentralization out on the fat, heavy tail!
legendary
Activity: 1182
snip...
As for Monero mixin compared to darksend mixing rounds, all Monero "mixing" is completely decentralized and there are no master nodes on which to rely.
semantics. DASH is just as decentralized as monero probably a lot more.
 how many nodes does monero currently have?

I like Dash and have a good deal of respect for their devs but I'd rather not be dependent on master nodes since they are semi-centralized.
"semi-centralized". again, semantics that don't really mean anything.

What if a govt or entity sets up tons of masternodes and all of your transactions are routed through them?
lol, it does not work like that now. do some research or wait for v13 evolution which will change everything again.

Plus, all of Monero is open source so you know exactly what is going on in the system.  All of that to me means I can trust it more.
it's actually just the opposite. read toknormal's highly detailed post on this subject.
legendary
Activity: 1182
Just checking in to want to let you guys know I managed to set up an Monero node. I'm testing out the mixing transactions. Still need to learn a lot though.

Some questions:
1) Is it possible to have instant confirmations ever added to monero?
2) How many darksend "mixing rounds" are comparable to the "mixing number" of monero

thanks in advance!

congratz!

1) probably not, because instant confirmations aren't safe. instantX seems to have a lot of flaws, so we are not messing with that.
2) monero mixing is superior to dash mixing because it adds plausible deniability to every mixing transaction. In the next version, this will be enforced across the network. A darksend transaction only gives you a limited anonimity set, while the monero mixing set is much bigger. (also, it seems the 6 "liquidity providers" are doing most of the darksend mixing, making it very unsecure)

1) lol, do tell

2) "6 "liquidity providers" are doing most of the darksend mixing"
lol, you just made that up. proof or stfu!
Jump to: