Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 773. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
A darksend transaction only gives you a limited anonimity set, while the monero mixing set is much bigger.
Additionally to the centralization in dash explained in the post above, and to the sole difference of anonymity set sizes (we're talking ~5 against dozens or hundreds of thousands), in dash only active people at the same time mix together. Monero mixes across time.

(also, it seems the 6 "liquidity providers" are doing most of the darksend mixing, making it very unsecure)
Exactly, and you can't dismiss these 6 peoples (what a laughable number!) are the same entity.

Edit: "dozens of hundreds" -> "dozens or hundreds of thousands"
Activity: 850
Merit: 1000
Just checking in to want to let you guys know I managed to set up an Monero node. I'm testing out the mixing transactions. Still need to learn a lot though.

Some questions:
1) Is it possible to have instant confirmations ever added to monero?
2) How many darksend "mixing rounds" are comparable to the "mixing number" of monero

thanks in advance!

Congrats! As for instant confirmations, Monero uses 60-second blocks, so any transaction should confirm in 60 seconds or less. That's pretty fast. Someone else may be working on making faster confirmations. If so, someone else will pipe in with that info.

As for Monero mixin compared to darksend mixing rounds, all Monero "mixing" is completely decentralized and there are no master nodes on which to rely. I like Dash and have a good deal of respect for their devs but I'd rather not be dependent on master nodes since they are semi-centralized. What if a govt or entity sets up tons of masternodes and all of your transactions are routed through them? It's kind of like how Tor's privacy can be undermined if one entity controls all of the nodes in your route. Plus, all of Monero is open source so you know exactly what is going on in the system.  All of that to me means I can trust it more.

The Monero mixin count refers to the number of other signatures (aside from yours) in the ring-signature that authorizes the transaction. So a mixin of 4 means that there are a total of 5 signatures. This means that someone looking at the Monero blockchain has no way of knowing which of the five signers is the true sender. (from https://monerobase.com/Mixin)
legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
Just checking in to want to let you guys know I managed to set up an Monero node. I'm testing out the mixing transactions. Still need to learn a lot though.

Some questions:
2) How many darksend "mixing rounds" are comparable to the "mixing number" of monero

thanks in advance!

congratz!

1) probably not, because instant confirmations aren't safe. instantX seems to have a lot of flaws, so we are not messing with that.
2) monero mixing is superior to dash mixing because it adds plausible deniability to every mixing transaction. In the next version, this will be enforced across the network. A darksend transaction only gives you a limited anonimity set, while the monero mixing set is much bigger. (also, it seems the 6 "liquidity providers" are doing most of the darksend mixing, making it very unsecure)
Activity: 42
Merit: 0

Some questions:

thanks in advance!
Activity: 794
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Quite funny, i noticed that i am a Senior Member by now and secondly i just found out that i am the only full node in my country  Shocked Grin
Both findings make me kind of proud yeeeaaahhhhh  Grin Cheesy Wink

reminded by that graph that there's no presence in south america.

Well that's kind of sad if you take in consideration the naming of MONERO. Maybe we should host a VPS there....

There is a node in Brazil now. I'm surprised there's not at least a few between Mexico and South America. It seems like the most frequent visitors to #monero-pools on IRC are spanish speaking people looking for help. Maybe they all just mine straight to exchange though...or they're all actually the same person...or something.
There are more nodes counted here: http://moneronodes.i2p.xyz/
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Quite funny, i noticed that i am a Senior Member by now and secondly i just found out that i am the only full node in my country  Shocked Grin

Well that's kind of sad if you take in consideration the naming of MONERO. Maybe we should host a VPS there....

There is a node in Brazil now. I'm surprised there's not at least a few between Mexico and South America. It seems like the most frequent visitors to #monero-pools on IRC are spanish speaking people looking for help. Maybe they all just mine straight to exchange though...or they're all actually the same person...or something.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
<- That guy volunteered for the PT translation, atm just waiting for the multi-language backend to be ready.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Well the strategy should be presence in south america, so we would need a native translation to esperanto

Huh... maybe Spanish would be more useful than Esperanto?  Smiley

Portuguese and spanish if you want to cover the southern continent of america  Cheesy

i thought someone did do a portugese translation .....

Well i am not quite up to date regarding our translations in identitiy and quantity....
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Well the strategy should be presence in south america, so we would need a native translation to esperanto

Portuguese and spanish if you want to cover the southern continent of america  Cheesy

i thought someone did do a portugese translation .....
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free

legendary

It's ALSO kind of sad considering that south america is home to many countries where a truly private digital currency would benefit many people.

True to form, perhaps we should really work on creating an esperanto version of EVERYTHING in the moneroverse. Granted, it all might be google-translate esperanto, but its better than nothing.

Well the strategy should be presence in south america, so we would need a native translation to esperanto and we also would need at least a full node there, better would be a mining pool.
For the translation i would chip in  Grin
legendary

It's ALSO kind of sad considering that south america is home to many countries where a truly private digital currency would benefit many people.

True to form, perhaps we should really work on creating an esperanto version of EVERYTHING in the moneroverse. Granted, it all might be google-translate esperanto, but its better than nothing.
legendary

legendary

legendary
legendary
Activity: 1624
From the "FreeBazaar - OpenBazaar with Monero" thread.

So with the alledged OpenBazaar release coming up, it would be a good time to provide us with your curren thought regarding the project. If you are not going forward with it, I suggest you just donate the remaining funds to the dev fund or ask your donators what they would want you to do with it.

Yes, they will be ready soon, and during current work OB-devs changed a lot. What breaks my code permanently.
Therefore I'll release a new fork with actually synchronized status in some days after official release.

legendary
Activity: 1624
DEVS: I made a User Guide (html and images) modeled from the source code of a getmonero.org page. To whom should I send the tar.gz? All I have is Ubuntu so it's just for Linux. Hopefully some Windows and OSX folks will jump in for those OSs. You can PM me with the info or reply here.

Nice! So I've asked my friend at work who is majoring in computer science to help me out with setting up Linux and how to use it, since I just seem to be too computer illiterate to set it up on my own.  But once I do figure it out, I think it would help everyone out that's like me to write a guide on how to set up Linux and what it can be applied to for xmr purposes. So like a benefits vs. cons kinda thing, while also making it written by a "newb" for a "newb.  I think I'll write it all up on google docs and then when finished, anyone can come in to write in pieces where there might be parts I might be missing out on.

What you guys think?

Sounds great! Here is some starting material for your guides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVppdkOThCs

You get to choose the installation size for ubuntu and he recommends 15GB.  Will this be large enough for the Monero blockchain as well as other blockchains you may have stored as well?  Can you change the size of the installation later?
legendary
DEVS: I made a User Guide (html and images) modeled from the source code of a getmonero.org page. To whom should I send the tar.gz? All I have is Ubuntu so it's just for Linux. Hopefully some Windows and OSX folks will jump in for those OSs. You can PM me with the info or reply here.

Nice! So I've asked my friend at work who is majoring in computer science to help me out with setting up Linux and how to use it, since I just seem to be too computer illiterate to set it up on my own.  But once I do figure it out, I think it would help everyone out that's like me to write a guide on how to set up Linux and what it can be applied to for xmr purposes. So like a benefits vs. cons kinda thing, while also making it written by a "newb" for a "newb.  I think I'll write it all up on google docs and then when finished, anyone can come in to write in pieces where there might be parts I might be missing out on.

What you guys think?

Sounds great! Here is some starting material for your guides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVppdkOThCs

legendary
Hello! Please tell me, bitmonerod daemon server http://node.moneroclub.com:8880 working? Want sync with him...

There are 3 nodes hosted on bitnodes.net. Their ip addresses are:

https://bitnodes.net/status/

the first one has a red X to it. I would assume that means its down, but I have no idea why.

to connect, load simplewallet wallet with --daemon-host IP_ADDRESS , like

Code:
./simplewallet --daemon-host 194.135.90.69

but remember, trusting someone elses daemon for your money is like trusting a cheetah with your souffle.
Jump to: