Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 775. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Just copy the keys files to the folder where your simplewallet.exe is located. You can also copy your bin files so that you don't have to refresh the wallet from scratch (I think they're compatible).

Basically the [walletname].keys file has your encrypted spend+view keys pair.
The [walletname] file stores the info about the incoming/outgoing transacions.

I don't know if you meant to do this for 0.8.8.6 or the beta.  Since I had the beta running and it would take a while to get 0.8.8.6 running I copied and pasted my .keys file into the folder of simplewallet of the 0.9 beta and it still didn't recognize it as an existing wallet when I started simplewallet.  I'll have time tonight to do it for 0.8.8.6 if that's what you meant.

@Nik4692, It was seemingly straightforward so I have no idea what I could have done wrong Tongue
You are doing something wrong. What's the exact name of the .keys file for the wallet? What's the exact command line you are trying to execute to open this wallet?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Just copy the keys files to the folder where your simplewallet.exe is located. You can also copy your bin files so that you don't have to refresh the wallet from scratch (I think they're compatible).

I don't know if you meant to do this for 0.8.8.6 or the beta.  Since I had the beta running and it would take a while to get 0.8.8.6 running I copied and pasted my .keys file into the folder of simplewallet of the 0.9 beta and it still didn't recognize it as an existing wallet when I started simplewallet.  I'll have time tonight to do it for 0.8.8.6 if that's what you meant.

@Nik4692, It was seemingly straightforward so I have no idea what I could have done wrong Tongue
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
My windows 0.9 beta has synced and it is using less memory than google chrome  Smiley Smiley

After I started I shut down my miner which uses both cores of my dual core pentium and therefore maxes it out.  I then noticed while syncing that every 200 blocks there is an operation that maxes out my cpu for a couple of seconds.

I just now opened simple wallet and entered the wallet file name of a wallet that is currently empty.  The message I received was.....

"The Wallet doesn't exist, generating a new one
password:"

When I first open simplewallet it notes the version # as v0.8.8.7-7792255
 Sad Tongue Cry

When I typed "exit" in the daemon I received more info than the times I tried to exit when the daemon hadn't fully synced but still it didn't exit.  I retyped "exit" and it very quickly shut down.  I started the daemon up again which only took a few seconds. 

The .keys file of the wallet you want to open should be in the same folder as simplewallet.exe or you should provide a path. If it's in the same folder, but simplewallet still can't find it then you should double check the name of the file (maybe rename it to something very simple as "M.bin.keys" and then try to load "M.bin" - this will be generated based on the .keys file).

When I downloaded 0.9 beta I created a folder BetaMonero for it while keeping 0.8.8.6 in folder Bitmonero.  Now there are no more KEYS files in the Bitmonero folder or the other file with the wallet name!  I do have copies of the KEYS files.  I don't know when this happened.  The first time I tried to run the beta in a new folder and then closed it that new folder disappeared and in the original Bitmonero folder there was a new folder which was/is lmdb. 

I guess it's time to get on IRC

Activity: 352
Merit: 250
My windows 0.9 beta has synced and it is using less memory than google chrome  Smiley Smiley

After I started I shut down my miner which uses both cores of my dual core pentium and therefore maxes it out.  I then noticed while syncing that every 200 blocks there is an operation that maxes out my cpu for a couple of seconds.

I just now opened simple wallet and entered the wallet file name of a wallet that is currently empty.  The message I received was.....

Sad Tongue Cry

When I typed "exit" in the daemon I received more info than the times I tried to exit when the daemon hadn't fully synced but still it didn't exit.  I retyped "exit" and it very quickly shut down.  I started the daemon up again which only took a few seconds. 

The .keys file of the wallet you want to open should be in the same folder as simplewallet.exe or you should provide a path. If it's in the same folder, but simplewallet still can't find it then you should double check the name of the file (maybe rename it to something very simple as "M.bin.keys" and then try to load "M.bin" - this will be generated based on the .keys file).

When I downloaded 0.9 beta I created a folder BetaMonero for it while keeping 0.8.8.6 in folder Bitmonero.  Now there are no more KEYS files in the Bitmonero folder or the other file with the wallet name!  I do have copies of the KEYS files.  I don't know when this happened.  The first time I tried to run the beta in a new folder and then closed it that new folder disappeared and in the original Bitmonero folder there was a new folder which was/is lmdb. 

You did something wrong. I did the same thing on Win7 x64 and all gone as expected.
I have 2 folders now, the new and the old. They don't interfere to each other. Every one has its own wallet and keys, and of course their own number of coins (I sent some to the new one from Poloniex).
legendary

Sad Tongue Cry

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
i've mentioned this before but i've got old deprecated wallets that crash 0.8.8.6 when i load them. it asks for my language of choice for the words then crashes. i tried the new 0.9 version and got it sync'd from scratch. but it still crashes at the same step, after asking what language i would like for my words. just letting you devs know. is there an old version of the software that still works that i could use to load this wallets and move the funds? and if so, where could i get that from?

- much appreciated

Hello from 2+2 Smiley

Although I have never used it for problems, I hear going on IRC is helpful.  Have you tried #monero or #monero-dev ?

I agree, your question will likely be answered much fastered when hopping on IRC. You could use this to easily join https://webchat.freenode.net/, just set your nickname and the channel to either #monero or #monero-dev (could also be both).
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

Sad Tongue Cry

legendary
Activity: 1260
the 0.8.8.6 wallet files should open on 0.9

but if not

u can run the bitmonerod from 0.9, and run the wallet from 0.8.8.7 ( i think ). thats the beauty of the software architecture of monero.

Do you mean run the beta daemon and the wallet from 0.8.8.6?  That's all I have.  I just tried to open 0.8.8.6 with the beta daemon running and I get a message from windows 8.1 "This App can't run on your PC.  To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

Edit:  I assume you were talking to me. Embarrassed

yep sorry.

im on windows 8.1 64 bit. litrally just dloaded the old 0.8.8.6 bins, was able to run simplewallet

Feels like we're going around in a circle.  ofc I can run my 0.8.8.6 wallets on 0.8.8.6, all I need to do is start the daemon and let it sync, total time a few hours as it is a couple of week behind and only 2 1/2 hrs to shut it down as I have only 4GB RAM.  And my comp won't be usable for much else.

How do I run them on the beta?  Wait the beta isn't even what 0.9 will be as far as simplewallet is concerned considering all the improvements that MoneroMoo has done.

I think I'll just go back to waiting for the official release of 0.9 which I hear is coming soon Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

As I was trying to say - you *should* be able to run the 0.9 bitmonerod.exe, and then load the 0.8.8.7 simplewallet.exe. The old simeplwallet should be able to talk to the new bitmonerod. Moneromoo has made a lot of improvements, but none of them affect the way the two talk to each other. Those changes are not in the master branch yet.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
2.5 hrs to shut it down? I take it that this is a spinning disk drive? Likely a 5400 RPM unit? Among my nodes, I've got a VM running Win 7 64 and 0.8.8.6 - it only has 2 cores and 4GB of memory but it does have an SSD and takes ~ 5 min to startup and shut down. While 0.9 is unbelievably faster to load/stop, uses a fraction of the resources, it should still be possible to live with 0.8.8.6 and 4GB of memory. The key is the SSD.

Nope.

It's the software. As mentioned above, triggering shut down twice does the trick. Somewhat like your dog, refusing to listen in onto first call.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

but if not

u can run the bitmonerod from 0.9, and run the wallet from 0.8.8.7 ( i think ). thats the beauty of the software architecture of monero.

Do you mean run the beta daemon and the wallet from 0.8.8.6?  That's all I have.  I just tried to open 0.8.8.6 with the beta daemon running and I get a message from windows 8.1 "This App can't run on your PC.  To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

yep sorry.

im on windows 8.1 64 bit. litrally just dloaded the old 0.8.8.6 bins, was able to run simplewallet

Feels like we're going around in a circle.  ofc I can run my 0.8.8.6 wallets on 0.8.8.6, all I need to do is start the daemon and let it sync, total time a few hours as it is a couple of week behind and only 2 1/2 hrs to shut it down as I have only 4GB RAM.  And my comp won't be usable for much else.

How do I run them on the beta?  Wait the beta isn't even what 0.9 will be as far as simplewallet is concerned considering all the improvements that MoneroMoo has done.

I think I'll just go back to waiting for the official release of 0.9 which I hear is coming soon Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

2.5 hrs to shut it down? I take it that this is a spinning disk drive? Likely a 5400 RPM unit? Among my nodes, I've got a VM running Win 7 64 and 0.8.8.6 - it only has 2 cores and 4GB of memory but it does have an SSD and takes ~ 5 min to startup and shut down. While 0.9 is unbelievably faster to load/stop, uses a fraction of the resources, it should still be possible to live with 0.8.8.6 and 4GB of memory. The key is the SSD.
legendary

but if not

yep sorry.

legendary

but if not

yep sorry.

legendary

but if not

legendary

but if not

legendary
i've mentioned this before but i've got old deprecated wallets that crash 0.8.8.6 when i load them. it asks for my language of choice for the words then crashes. i tried the new 0.9 version and got it sync'd from scratch. but it still crashes at the same step, after asking what language i would like for my words. just letting you devs know. is there an old version of the software that still works that i could use to load this wallets and move the funds? and if so, where could i get that from?

- much appreciated

Hello from 2+2 Smiley

Although I have never used it for problems, I hear going on IRC is helpful.  Have you tried #monero or #monero-dev ?
legendary
now u can run jwinterms wallet. edit the conf file to local host or whatever and boom! monero gui.

I don't need a gui.  What I need is a way to access the wallets I created with 0.8.8.6 when I run the windows beta.  Is that what you are trying to say with your fancy tech talk?  Remember the only computer course I took used punch cards Grin
Activity: 232
Merit: 100

- much appreciated
legendary
now u can run jwinterms wallet. edit the conf file to local host or whatever and boom! monero gui.
legendary

Sad Tongue Cry

legendary
papa_lazzarou,  I took your advice and tried exiting.  Like last time I typed exit and received the message "[node] Stop signal sent" along with a time stamp immediately followed by a message in green "Stop signal sent"  after which nothing has happened for an hour.  My Task Manager shows no activity for bitmonerod, no cpu or disk activity and memory is at 14.1 MB.  I have noted the last block synced and am now going to close it via the X and receiving the "exiting without saving message" in red.  At least this time I still have the folder with 0.9 in it.  The log folder is empty Huh
Someone reported that he typed 'exit' again after the first one and it worked.

Thank you Smiley

I just restarted the daemon, let's see what happens. 
Jump to: