Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 776. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
papa_lazzarou,  I took your advice and tried exiting.  Like last time I typed exit and received the message "[node] Stop signal sent" along with a time stamp immediately followed by a message in green "Stop signal sent"  after which nothing has happened for an hour.  My Task Manager shows no activity for bitmonerod, no cpu or disk activity and memory is at 14.1 MB.  I have noted the last block synced and am now going to close it via the X and receiving the "exiting without saving message" in red.  At least this time I still have the folder with 0.9 in it.  The log folder is empty Huh
Someone reported that he typed 'exit' again after the first one and it worked.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
papa_lazzarou,  I took your advice and tried exiting.  Like last time I typed exit and received the message "[node] Stop signal sent" along with a time stamp immediately followed by a message in green "Stop signal sent"  after which nothing has happened for an hour.  My Task Manager shows no activity for bitmonerod, no cpu or disk activity and memory is at 14.1 MB.  I have noted the last block synced and am now going to close it via the X and receiving the "exiting without saving message" in red.  At least this time I still have the folder with 0.9 in it.  The log folder is empty Huh
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
OK I'm trying the windows 0.9 beta again.  I once again created a new folder for it as the last one disappeared after I closed the daemon without exiting as it hung up when I tried to exit after the syncing hung up.  I am currently syncing the blockchain from scratch as I did the first time and this time it started from ~ block 376206 so maybe it was stored somewhere?

It seems obvious but I want to check to make sure I don't mess anything up.  Once the daemon syncs I can then open any simplewallet I have?  And transact with it?

Blockchain is stored in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%. You definitely aren't syncing from scratch if it started from 376206. Smiley

Yes to your last two questions (unless there's some compatibility issue that I don't know about, but why not just use the matching 0.9 simplewallet?).

Thank you luigi,

I let it run while sleeping and now I'm on block 307986  Shocked and it's syncing almost as slowly as 0.8.8.6  Tongue
I'm no longer getting all the white words including "blob" speeding by but instead it's mostly the yellow lettering I'm used to when syncing with the white lettering being NOTIFY_REQUEST_GET_OBJECTS................
Hope you are enjoying the technical description Grin

As far as simplewallet I meant using simplewallet in 0.9 and using the name and password that was set up in 0.8.8.6

Try to exit safely and start again. I think it could have something to do with the database file resizing, but i'm not sure.
I'm not aware of any compatibility issues with simplewallet and the previous version generated wallets.

~ ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SAFE COPY OF YOUR .keys FILE ~
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Given this projects' goals, people using it may assume that if it's Monero, its anonymity is not in question. Actually, based on your own words (in bold in the quoted material above) maybe the slogan on the MyMonero front page very well shouldn't be "Send and receive Monero safely and securely, anywhere and any time", and should, instead, be a warning that makes an effort to explain to people that their view keys are being sent to the server, that they're using a JavaScript-based wallet that is never going to be safe, and that this is only a stopgap solution. That would seem to better fit the principles of this project.

It's one of those situations where we can't qualify every statement that is made.

It's like saying that we should change the Monero slogan from "secure, private, untraceable" to "secure (as long as you don't leak your private keys and no exploit or bug exists which lets someone steal your funds), private (as long as you're using i2p, coming soon, and the counterparties you deal with don't reveal your details), untraceable (as long as everyone is using mixin >0 and no systematic reveal of inputs leaks the real one)"...which is not quite as catchy;)

It's definitely not quite as catchy, I'm just arguing that it's a special case where being upfront and transparent with people could be more important than being catchy.

I think a FAQ or something somewhere on the site that explains the risks of a web wallet is a pretty reasonable approach, with maybe a simple link on the home page. That is just my unsolicited input, as I have no role in MyMonero.
legendary
OK I'm trying the windows 0.9 beta again.  I once again created a new folder for it as the last one disappeared after I closed the daemon without exiting as it hung up when I tried to exit after the syncing hung up.  I am currently syncing the blockchain from scratch as I did the first time and this time it started from ~ block 376206 so maybe it was stored somewhere?

It seems obvious but I want to check to make sure I don't mess anything up.  Once the daemon syncs I can then open any simplewallet I have?  And transact with it?

Blockchain is stored in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%. You definitely aren't syncing from scratch if it started from 376206. Smiley

Yes to your last two questions (unless there's some compatibility issue that I don't know about, but why not just use the matching 0.9 simplewallet?).

Thank you luigi,

I let it run while sleeping and now I'm on block 307986  Shocked and it's syncing almost as slowly as 0.8.8.6  Tongue
I'm no longer getting all the white words including "blob" speeding by but instead it's mostly the yellow lettering I'm used to when syncing with the white lettering being NOTIFY_REQUEST_GET_OBJECTS................
Hope you are enjoying the technical description Grin

As far as simplewallet I meant using simplewallet in 0.9 and using the name and password that was set up in 0.8.8.6
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Given this projects' goals, people using it may assume that if it's Monero, its anonymity is not in question. Actually, based on your own words (in bold in the quoted material above) maybe the slogan on the MyMonero front page very well shouldn't be "Send and receive Monero safely and securely, anywhere and any time", and should, instead, be a warning that makes an effort to explain to people that their view keys are being sent to the server, that they're using a JavaScript-based wallet that is never going to be safe, and that this is only a stopgap solution. That would seem to better fit the principles of this project.

It's one of those situations where we can't qualify every statement that is made.

It's like saying that we should change the Monero slogan from "secure, private, untraceable" to "secure (as long as you don't leak your private keys and no exploit or bug exists which lets someone steal your funds), private (as long as you're using i2p, coming soon, and the counterparties you deal with don't reveal your details), untraceable (as long as everyone is using mixin >0 and no systematic reveal of inputs leaks the real one)"...which is not quite as catchy;)

It's definitely not quite as catchy, I'm just arguing that it's a special case where being upfront and transparent with people could be more important than being catchy.
legendary
Activity: 1105

legendary

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
^^^  Cheesy

Monero, ask 1 get 2 for free.

Thanks for all the help and information!
Will try to install the beta version tomorrow Smiley
Activity: 850
cryptonewb: If you used the latest source code (not the 0.8.8.6), your computer still may be slow, but only while it's downloading the blockchain due to lots of writing to the hard drive. But after you've downloaded the blockchain your computer will be fast again. Monero (after the one-time blockchain download catch-up) takes very little system resources. I have my main Monero wallet on a laptop with 2.5GB RAM and it works fast. Hope that helps!

Just curious, what laptop are you running your wallet and everything else on?
It's a used Dell Inspiron from Craigslist. I'm away from it right now so i don't know the model number, but as you can see from the RAM, it's a few years old. It had Windows Vista but I installed Ubuntu 14.04 over it.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Spastic dead-eyed hound.
cryptonewb: If you used the latest source code (not the 0.8.8.6), your computer still may be slow, but only while it's downloading the blockchain due to lots of writing to the hard drive. But after you've downloaded the blockchain your computer will be fast again. Monero (after the one-time blockchain download catch-up) takes very little system resources. I have my main Monero wallet on a laptop with 2.5GB RAM and it works fast. Hope that helps!

Just curious, what laptop are you running your wallet and everything else on?
Activity: 850
^^^  Cheesy

Monero, ask 1 get 2 for free.

Hi!

My name is Konstantin. I'm cyber•Fund co-founder.
I'm happy to announce now Monero is available in cyber•Fund real time portfolio tracker. So you can easy control your portfolio valuation of Monero and other cryptoasset that you have in real time.

Cool, I'll check it out.
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
Hi, it's me again.

I tried to download and install the wallet. That went well.
Then I started syncing, but after a while I needed to close it, because my laptop become very slow  Undecided

Make sure you're not using the prebuilt binaries, they're very old.

* Mixing my full balance took 3 hours. How long would it take to mix 10 XMR (about the same value)

From instant to a a minute if you're on a slow computer and sending a lot of small outputs.

* When I was mixing, the wallet showed that sometimes masternodes were idle (probably because they weren't upgraded). Is the mixing network of Monero faster?

There is no mixing network. Instead of sending your outouts to others who shuffle them in rounds, you mix them on your own computer, against the whole blockchain, and nobody can see what you've done (insert usual warnings about malware, etc).

* Doing a darksend transaction of +/- 1 DASH costed me 0.1 DASH. What is the fee for an XMR "darksend" ?

0.01 monero per kB. This does not depend on value sent, though larger values may need more outouts if you only have small ones. A typical tx can be 1 to several kB. High mixin mean larger size, and thus larger fee.

Hi, it's me again.

Then I started syncing, but after a while I needed to close it, because my laptop become very slow  Undecided

Any ideas how to solve this? I'm sorry, I didn't read in this topic yet. Maybe there is a solution already.
If there isn't, i'm sorry, but then I won't be able to test out XMR and just stick with DASH.
I don't want to buy a faster laptop just to test a cryptocurrency.

The current version is a bit outdated. This version stores the entire blockchain in RAM/swap, that's why you felt your laptop (almost) grind to a halt.

You have three options:
- try the new beta for windows (i'm guessing you use windows) - URL Huh
- compile and run from the current master - https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/
- wait for the new release to finish your comparison (you might lose the valuation caused by that release, or not)

How long would it take to mix 10 XMR (about the same value)
Very seldom it is more than a few secs. (It really depends on the inputs you have in your wallet).

* When I was mixing, the wallet showed that sometimes masternodes were idle (probably because they weren't upgraded). Is the mixing network of Monero faster?
There is no mixing network for monero, ie you are not dependent of external services to ensure privacy for your transactions. The wallet simple chooses the outputs to mix with from the blockchain you have on your computer and sends the transaction.

* Doing a darksend transaction of +/- 1 DASH costed me 0.1 DASH. What is the fee for an XMR "darksend" ?
First of all, the privacy features of monero are the default. You don't have to make a special kind of transaction to make it private. You just have to choose the level of obfuscation (the minimum is 0 for the time being but that is going to change). Regarding the fees it depends on the size of the transaction (more inputs, bigger size). Currently it is defined as 0.01 XMR per KB.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Hi, it's me again.

Any ideas how to solve this? I'm sorry, I didn't read in this topic yet. Maybe there is a solution already.
If there isn't, i'm sorry, but then I won't be able to test out XMR and just stick with DASH.

Meanwhile I managed to test DASH and was wondering how Monero compares to that. Wasn't able to test it due to the problems with my wallet, but maybe someone else knows the details:

FYI: I had 2 DASH in my wallet so I could test out the features.
* Mixing my full balance took 3 hours. How long would it take to mix 10 XMR (about the same value)

You've probably installed 0.8.8.6, which is very slow compared to the soon(tm) to be released new binaries (0.9). If you are on windows, there are already binaries available though -> https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip

Regarding your points:
[1] Opposed to DASH, Monero uses on-chain mixing, so if you want to transfer funds the mixing kinda happens immediately and your transaction will be included into the next available block. Our blocktime is around 1 minute, so your transaction should be included pretty fast. Also, because mixing is passive, you don't need active others to mix with. More about how Monero's mixing works -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3ojjkq/can_someone_help_me_understand_the_claims_of/cvxwq10

[2] See 1, it's significantly faster, because it allows passive mixing and thus doesn't need others to be active to mix.

[3] Monero uses a per-kb fee. Currently, the fee is 0.01 per kb. Usually the fee for a transaction is around 0.015-0.03 XMR.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Hi, it's me again.

Meanwhile I managed to test DASH and was wondering how Monero compares to that. Wasn't able to test it due to the problems with my wallet, but maybe someone else knows the details:

FYI: I had 2 DASH in my wallet so I could test out the features.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
Hi!

My name is Konstantin. I'm cyber•Fund co-founder.
I'm happy to announce now Monero is available in cyber•Fund real time portfolio tracker. So you can easy control your portfolio valuation of Monero and other cryptoasset that you have in real time.

Look how we do it with our funds - https://cyber.fund/@satoshi_fund

If you are a developer you can easy improve Monero main page using Chaingear on github. Stellar, Dash and NuBits have already upgraded their page.

Also  don't forget to follow Monero on https://cyber.fund/system/Monero.

Thank you for your attention, I will be happy if you will use our service.
Konstantin Lomashuk
legendary
Activity: 1260

I will start downloading the monero wallet now so I can compare.

If you are on Windows make to sure to use the official beta of the new release that is comming: https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip

On linux, compile from git  Smiley

ps: don't troll, we'll find out @_@  Cheesy

So I feel completely idiotic right now Tongue ... this whole time I've been having trouble running these programs on my windows for 64-bit because that's what I thought I had, only to realize that I think I have a 32-bit because when I finally took time to read the error message that comes up when trying to extract bitmonerod.exe or something of the sort it says that "this application is not Win32 compatible" ... sigh, I guess that's what I get for being very impatient with things.

So I guess my question would be, is it worth it to try and run this stuff on my computer? Or should I just stick with buying monero and putting it into mymonero for holding?

the truth of the matter is, if you're really just holding, you can just run simplewallet, or use moneromoo's offline generator, to create an address, and then send funds to that address. Your account is just an entry in the blockchain - you don't need to actually run *anything*. The only reason you would need to run something is to transact, or to verify that your coins have been deposited.

But thats not entirely true, because recently luigi1111 made a thingy that can confirm that your transaction went through to a wallet you sent it to. It's not super user friendly... well, I don't know... I've never tried it.

Long story short, mymonero is fine, you don't need to run anything, but running something is always better (because it supports the network).

Is simplewallet bit agnostic?

I guess it's user friendly *enough*, though ugly (someone is working on it I hear). Actually I don't really see how you could make it much easier than it is now. Several people I know have used it with success for cold wallets.

The other function (proving a destination received some outputs) mooo has added to simplewallet now (not merged): https://github.com/moneromooo-monero/bitmonero/commit/46c7989854c07c26d8a31b5bdf266cc658a62119

no slight meant sir! I just meant that for those in need of a GUI, it might be a tall order. I should really just give it a shot though... perhaps make a video!! Sweet that moo integrated that into simplewallet. Simplewallet is going beyond simple. I'll rename my bin complexwallet
legendary
Activity: 1105

I will start downloading the monero wallet now so I can compare.

If you are on Windows make to sure to use the official beta of the new release that is comming: https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip

On linux, compile from git  Smiley

ps: don't troll, we'll find out @_@  Cheesy

So I feel completely idiotic right now Tongue ... this whole time I've been having trouble running these programs on my windows for 64-bit because that's what I thought I had, only to realize that I think I have a 32-bit because when I finally took time to read the error message that comes up when trying to extract bitmonerod.exe or something of the sort it says that "this application is not Win32 compatible" ... sigh, I guess that's what I get for being very impatient with things.

So I guess my question would be, is it worth it to try and run this stuff on my computer? Or should I just stick with buying monero and putting it into mymonero for holding?

the truth of the matter is, if you're really just holding, you can just run simplewallet, or use moneromoo's offline generator, to create an address, and then send funds to that address. Your account is just an entry in the blockchain - you don't need to actually run *anything*. The only reason you would need to run something is to transact, or to verify that your coins have been deposited.

But thats not entirely true, because recently luigi1111 made a thingy that can confirm that your transaction went through to a wallet you sent it to. It's not super user friendly... well, I don't know... I've never tried it.

Long story short, mymonero is fine, you don't need to run anything, but running something is always better (because it supports the network).

Is simplewallet bit agnostic?

I guess it's user friendly *enough*, though ugly (someone is working on it I hear). Actually I don't really see how you could make it much easier than it is now. Several people I know have used it with success for cold wallets.

The other function (proving a destination received some outputs) mooo has added to simplewallet now (not merged): https://github.com/moneromooo-monero/bitmonero/commit/46c7989854c07c26d8a31b5bdf266cc658a62119
Jump to: