Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 777. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 722
Merit: 500
I have a knoppix Linux boot CD for emergencies. Quite handy to have for emergencies.

What function would that serve to have it for "emergencies"? What would be classified as an emergency?
Repair/recover files from a Windows partition?  Cheesy

Being able to use a computer at a friend or relatives that  has half the screen covered in task bars.
Activity: 352
Merit: 250
I have a knoppix Linux boot CD for emergencies. Quite handy to have for emergencies.

What function would that serve to have it for "emergencies"? What would be classified as an emergency?
Repair/recover files from a Windows partition?  Cheesy
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Spastic dead-eyed hound.

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Need XMR Windows Wallet 32Bit, Please provide.

Thank you.!

There is no official wallet. But there are several third party ones.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Windows 32-bit binaries (0.8.8, updated: June 11th - outdated and not recommended until the embedded database is released)

This means that until a new release you should not use any Win32 wallet.

The only think I can propose to you if you are in this situation is the web wallet from mymonero.com
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000
Need XMR Windows Wallet 32Bit, Please provide.

Thank you.!
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

I will start downloading the monero wallet now so I can compare.

If you are on Windows make to sure to use the official beta of the new release that is comming: https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip

On linux, compile from git  Smiley

ps: don't troll, we'll find out @_@  Cheesy

So I feel completely idiotic right now Tongue ... this whole time I've been having trouble running these programs on my windows for 64-bit because that's what I thought I had, only to realize that I think I have a 32-bit because when I finally took time to read the error message that comes up when trying to extract bitmonerod.exe or something of the sort it says that "this application is not Win32 compatible" ... sigh, I guess that's what I get for being very impatient with things.

So I guess my question would be, is it worth it to try and run this stuff on my computer? Or should I just stick with buying monero and putting it into mymonero for holding?

Have you thought about trying linux. Its not just because of crypto. Its just because it solves so many problems... Even those you might not realize you have Tongue

I would just imagine I would have to take a lot of time to learn command lines, which I really don't have extra time for... Plus the process of getting Linux on my computer seems complicated in terms of having to download it on a USB first. Plus I'm not quite sure if I have a spare 40 GB on my computer to run everything the way it's supposed too. Maybe during a rainy day I'll try to figure it all out... I'm just very illiterate when it comes to setting stuff up myself on computers.

it would honestly take you less than 1 hour. You don't need 40 gigs. U could get away with 10, even less if you didn't have to store the monero blockchain Smiley

Oh, and you don't need to know CLI. Ubuntu and other fan favorites all have GUIs.
Spastic dead-eyed hound.

If you are on Windows make to sure to use the official beta of the new release that is comming: https://downloads.getmonero.org/monero.win.x64.v0-9-beta.zip

ps: don't troll, we'll find out @_@  Cheesy

So I feel completely idiotic right now Tongue ... this whole time I've been having trouble running these programs on my windows for 64-bit because that's what I thought I had, only to realize that I think I have a 32-bit because when I finally took time to read the error message that comes up when trying to extract bitmonerod.exe or something of the sort it says that "this application is not Win32 compatible" ... sigh, I guess that's what I get for being very impatient with things.

So I guess my question would be, is it worth it to try and run this stuff on my computer? Or should I just stick with buying monero and putting it into mymonero for holding?

Have you thought about trying linux. Its not just because of crypto. Its just because it solves so many problems... Even those you might not realize you have Tongue

I would just imagine I would have to take a lot of time to learn command lines, which I really don't have extra time for... Plus the process of getting Linux on my computer seems complicated in terms of having to download it on a USB first. Plus I'm not quite sure if I have a spare 40 GB on my computer to run everything the way it's supposed too. Maybe during a rainy day I'll try to figure it all out... I'm just very illiterate when it comes to setting stuff up myself on computers.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500

Activity: 240
MONERO's CUBE WALLET.

Silver made. PM me if any one is interested.

Alternative version for the cube wallet.

I am open to suggestions of the community.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

the truth of the matter is, if you're really just holding, you can just run simplewallet, or use moneromoo's offline generator, to create an address, and then send funds to that address. Your account is just an entry in the blockchain - you don't need to actually run *anything*. The only reason you would need to run something is to transact, or to verify that your coins have been deposited.

But thats not entirely true, because recently luigi1111 made a thingy that can confirm that your transaction went through to a wallet you sent it to. It's not super user friendly... well, I don't know... I've never tried it.

Long story short, mymonero is fine, you don't need to run anything, but running something is always better (because it supports the network).

Is simplewallet bit agnostic?
Activity: 350

If you are receiving that message, you are either using a 32-bit OS that is unsupported or you are downloading corrupted binaries every single time for some reason. Monero is still officially very alpha and its not your fault for having troubles. It only feels right telling you to do like I did, that is running Monero on Linux (but please make backups before trying to install any version - I recommend Ubuntu 14.04 or Mint 17.2). I have always been able to use the newest code on Linux and watch the evolution of this coin with my own eyes. I understand some are not confortable with Linux and unless you are just testing binaries I recommend not keeping your Monero on Windows (not even with mymonero). I still use mymonero as my hotwallet but I do not use it as cold wallet, I recommend you try to get used to Linux, this is a time for early adopters if Monero will ever be remotely mass-used. So answering your question I do think it is worth running this stuff but only on a PC you own and that is running GNU/Linux.
Activity: 450

If you have "C:\Program Files\" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\" then you have a 64 bit installation.

If you have only "C:\Program Files\" then you have a 32 bit installation.

Just use MyMonero. It's simple and secure in my opinion, but of course do your own due diligence Wink
Spastic dead-eyed hound.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I tried out darksend today. Seems to work pretty well.

I don't want to use the webwallet, because I don't know if that somehow can speed up the process because you depend on the node of the service.
I want to test the the decentralized mixing so I'm able to compare with dash.

I'll report tomorrow!

PS: I don't know anything about those 'confidential transactions', but I guess it's a good thing to add some more features to make it more anonymous.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0

free speach = free trolling

I thought iCEBREAKER, Smooth and the more prominent Monero community members who are using Bitcointalk on a daily basis are supporting freedom of speech  Huh
Spastic dead-eyed hound.
I opened a new unmoderated speculation thread for Monero, since I believe in free speach and I also think it will go well with this community!

Feel free to take part in the discussion: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12678112

lol Smiley

Monero is so good the only trolling that could work is reverse trolling.

into le ignore it goes Wink

More like... Belongs in the trash!  Tongue
lol Smiley

Monero is so good the only trolling that could work is reverse trolling.

into le ignore it goes Wink
Jump to: