Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 783. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000
Will we ever see an official GUI wallet for Monero? How do you expect non-tech savvy people to use this coin without an easy wallet? Is it really too hard to make a wallet for 1.5 years?

I agree with the other posters. The engine is more important than the body. This is not to say that the body (GUI wallet) is not important. It's been said that it's coming, although technically there are GUIs now. The one that seems most easy to use is:

https://mymonero.com/#/

Since it's web-based, it can be used virtually anywhere and only you know your private keys.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
The developers made non crowd pleasing hard decisions, but they were the right ones.

Will we ever see an official GUI wallet for Monero? How do you expect non-tech savvy people to use this coin without an easy wallet? Is it really too hard to make a wallet for 1.5 years?

Soon.

How do you expect non tech-savy people to use a coin that has flawed software inherited from its primary implementation (bytecoin)? Is it really hard to move the blockchain to a database format without causing undesired hardforks? Is it really hard to otherwise maintain and improve upon software that was purposely stripped of any inline documentation by the original developers, even though its COMPLETELY NOVEL CRYPTOCURRENCY SOFTWARE?

Yes, the core developers could have focused their efforts on a GUI, and then the database implementation would be another year off instead of a matter of weeks or months. And then the increased usage due to whatever widespread adoption that is guaranteed to occur with a GUI would have made the blockchain huge so that only people with 12 gigs of ram could run it. So then the network would be maintained by like 5 people instead of the hundred or so it is now.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
monero development history visualization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjAQJqghRI

I just added the music to make it a bit more lively.  Grin

Original vid without the music, should be readable -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4xpmbu49d8
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
monero development history visualization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjAQJqghRI

I love those things. Looks like the little people have super powered urine that makes things grow and die.

I really am an adult I swear.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.

Huh

The author claims that Fincen has discovered that Cryptsy is involved in “terrorism funding”.

So what? More americans are killed by small firearms, fired from other americans, even kids. The stats are like

So please, be thankfull for any buck that wanders into “terrorism funding” somewhere elsewhere around the world, than into spare rounds at the homefront  Cool
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Activity: 649
Merit: 500

Nah. We're going retro. 1990's style.

If you are really interested in knowing what's up, change your tone.  Kiss
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Is it really too hard to make a wallet for 1.5 years?

It has nothing to do with it being hard or not. If you don't know why, you're probably new to Monero. I suggest you at least read a bit before complaining about other's voluntary work.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

Soon.

How do you expect non tech-savy people to use a coin that has flawed software inherited from its primary implementation (bytecoin)? Is it really hard to move the blockchain to a database format without causing undesired hardforks? Is it really hard to otherwise maintain and improve upon software that was purposely stripped of any inline documentation by the original developers, even though its COMPLETELY NOVEL CRYPTOCURRENCY SOFTWARE?

Yes, the core developers could have focused their efforts on a GUI, and then the database implementation would be another year off instead of a matter of weeks or months. And then the increased usage due to whatever widespread adoption that is guaranteed to occur with a GUI would have made the blockchain huge so that only people with 12 gigs of ram could run it. So then the network would be maintained by like 5 people instead of the hundred or so it is now.

The developers made non crowd pleasing hard decisions, but they were the right ones.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1485
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
Oh shit the **** hit the ******* with the ********. Causing ****** to **********.

That is serious ****** !
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Is it true?

Craptsy going down for laundering?

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
legendary
Activity: 1105

Does anyone know a site that features more advanced charts for Monero?

It's easy enough to find block explorers and exchanges with the set of charts generally available for all currencies (hashrate and exchange rate etc)

What I am looking for is for example # of transactions per block, avg fee per tx/block, avg size per tx, etc

Related to this: does anyone know the current size of the "global output list"? Isn't that a major scalability concern? (as it's monotonically increasing)

Well, its encoded pretty poorly currently but aside from that it fundamentally shouldn't be very large compared to the outputs themselves, so not by itself a scalability concern (other than the implementation needing work someday).

Isn't it a 64-bit # that's just monotonically increasing? I think that was his point(?), not sure.

I meant the lookup tables for it.

Ah, ok.

*whistling nonchalantly* "Nothing to see here, folks."
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

It's easy enough to find block explorers and exchanges with the set of charts generally available for all currencies (hashrate and exchange rate etc)

What I am looking for is for example # of transactions per block, avg fee per tx/block, avg size per tx, etc

Related to this: does anyone know the current size of the "global output list"? Isn't that a major scalability concern? (as it's monotonically increasing)

Well, its encoded pretty poorly currently but aside from that it fundamentally shouldn't be very large compared to the outputs themselves, so not by itself a scalability concern (other than the implementation needing work someday).

Isn't it a 64-bit # that's just monotonically increasing? I think that was his point(?), not sure.

I meant the lookup tables for it.
legendary

If it is, here's some fun math:
2^64 = ~18.45 quintillion
/ 1,000,000 tx / sec (pie in the sky)
/ 1,000 outputs / tx (pie in the sky)
/ 86,400 sec / day
/ 365 days / year
= ~585 years before we run out of space
legendary
Some question for the devs: What hash functions does Monero use for computing tx ids and key images?

The txids use keccak. The key images computed by hashing the tx public key using keccak to get a curve point*, then multiplying by the private key.

* Using some crypto that is beyond my comprehension. See ge_fromfe_frombytes_vartime in crypto-ops.c

Thanks! You are referring to plain Keccak and not CryptoNight, right?

Yes cn_fast_hash which calls keccak1600. CryptoNight is cn_slow_hash

Thanks. BTW, hash length seems to be 256 bits for both.

The wizards at Wikipedia have removed it now, but: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=SHA-3&oldid=676252215#Examples_of_SHA-3_and_Keccak_variants

cn_fast_hash produces the same output as Keccak-256. CN uses this everywhere it needs a hash function AFAIK (besides POW).
Jump to: