Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 778. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
I opened a new unmoderated speculation thread for Monero, since I believe in free speach and I also think it will go well with this community!

Feel free to take part in the discussion: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12678112
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
I am not a trader but it seems to me that there is a lot more risk involved in getting on in a price point 15 times higher than the lowest value compared to "just" 1.7 times that low value.

This depends on the time frame. For a buy and hold investor absolutely, For a day trader on margin in many cases no.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500

"Esa corrección anuló completamente el movimiento de subida y lo llevó de los máximos en 0,01 a un mínimo de 0,0001. Aquí lo vemos en el gráfico."

" hemos visto ya como en el pasado la cotización de la moneda caía hasta 0,0001 que es más de 8 veces inferior a ese 0,00131."

The lowest value of monero was not 0.0001. You better redo that analysis.

You are right with this number...the correct number is 0,00091 but dnt change the analysis. Monero is now down because its in the middle of shorts. One investor or trader need a return figure...inverted HCH...double floor...but can't buy in the middle of the dump. Sure u understand this. Thanks.

I am not a trader but it seems to me that there is a lot more risk involved in getting on in a price point 15 times higher than the lowest value compared to "just" 1.7 times that low value.
Activity: 240
Merit: 250
MONERO's CUBE WALLET.

Silver made. PM me if any one is interested.
Activity: 714
Merit: 125

"Esa corrección anuló completamente el movimiento de subida y lo llevó de los máximos en 0,01 a un mínimo de 0,0001. Aquí lo vemos en el gráfico."

" hemos visto ya como en el pasado la cotización de la moneda caía hasta 0,0001 que es más de 8 veces inferior a ese 0,00131."

You are right with this number...the correct number is 0,00091 but dnt change the analysis. Monero is now down because its in the middle of shorts. One investor or trader need a return figure...inverted HCH...double floor...but can't buy in the middle of the dump. Sure u understand this. Thanks.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Looks like the CT paper is not finished.

Correct (and on the reddit post it says "work in progress"!)
Activity: 395
Merit: 408
Bitcoin OG artworks collection
shipping cost to the U.S.?
The painting is ready to hang on the wall.
The shipping package is heavy and big with good isolation all around the painting.
Shipping to U.S is 45 USD.
Shipping to EU is 30 USD.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
shipping cost to the U.S.?
legendary
Looks like the CT paper is not finished.

Some of the order of defining variables and symbols etc comes after they are used (which is frustrating). Usually they are defined before they are used.

There are like 3 or 4 sections that were not finished:

4. Tag Linkability
5. Exculpability
6. Unforgeability

Not sure if this was left unfinished intentionally or if there will be an update to this paper.

There is a lot going on in the paper and I spend probably 2 hours over the course of today trying to follow what is going on in it. Was able to follow most of it but on page 6 and 7 Shen lost me.
legendary

I'm on page 6 that is discussing a proof but I'm lost. I was able to follow pretty well up until page 5 but there are so many things going on that I just got lost.

If anyone can explain it to me I would appreciate it. I'm sure I could figure it out if I spent enough time thinking about it and rereading it over and over.

But my brain is tired  Smiley
Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Is it time to buy Monero? Yes.
Investing 101: "Buy low, sell high." (but I'm in it for more than an investment)

bits from the americanpegasus interview are resonating strongly today, the Monero devs just published what will be an even better, safer and more private form of transactions, we are talking about taking care of the fine details here, this is unheard of, any chance a sidechain or zerocash had of trying to adventure in this niche was limited and just became almost nil.

I would say this is the best time ever (relatively low prices + tsunami of good developments from many sides).
Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

Is it time to buy Monero? Yes.
Investing 101: "Buy low, sell high." (but I'm in it for more than an investment)
Activity: 714
Merit: 125
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
thx for your answers guys! I will check it out.

I'm learning a lot. Trying to understand instantX, masternodes and darksend works (DASH)
and now I need to learn about monero too. It seems a lot more complicated, but will try to understand it.

good to hear that there are at least active developers. if I have any questions regarding monero, I'll return here.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
What about we tone it down and remain respectful to one another?

One of the reasons I don't participate much.  Trolling and flame wars stopped being interesting to me in the usenet days.

YOU KEEP QUIET...YOU LETTER ON A KEYBOARD!

(I jest, I'm in agreement that we should just mellow out, no use in getting uppity)
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
What about we tone it down and remain respectful to one another?

One of the reasons I don't participate much.  Trolling and flame wars stopped being interesting to me in the usenet days.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Hi guys, I have a question...
I'm new to crypto (I always dismissed BTC due to its public nature) and was introduced to DASH by a friend.

I discovered something called "cryptonote" and over at the DASH topic. I just started researching monero/cryptonote, because it was mentioned  that it has private balances, something DASH doesn't have.

They are saying however, that the monero blockchain is bloated and that transacting could become very slow in the future because of the large database of transaction information.

this is what I read in that topic:
I decided above all else, that cryptonote will likely never work because the amount of information each transaction has to be run through is going to become such a large database, it will slow down so badly that it will become a slug.  I can't see how they can possibly trim any of it.  They say they can, but I have other issues I can't figure out, and I've tried.  Still, no gui, a bloated block chain and no real developers working on it makes me think that if it's ever workable, it'll be 20 years in the future.  
Being about 3/4 the age of Dash, almost 5 times the size blockchain, and far far fewer people using it (meaning not nearly as many transactions going through as Dash), their blockchain issues are massive.

Can you guys give me a little bit more information? please, no trolling, I noticed that there is a bit of back and forth trolling between DASH and monero, i'm just here for some information...

the amount of information each transaction has to be run through is going to become such a large database, it will slow down so badly that it will become a slug

This is false. Perhaps if you created a transaction with 1000000 mixins you might encounter this slugishness. In all real world purposes, this is simply a database lookup (in an indexed database, mind you!) if I understand correctly, and I may not. This is a non issue. People are running monero on raspberry pi's. If a raspberry pi can handle these database lookups, this is not an issue.

I can't see how they can possibly trim any of it.  They say they can, but I have other issues I can't figure out, and I've tried. The blockchain actually can be trimmed. Aeon is another cryptonote that has succesfuly integrated trimming, and there's been some talk of further trimming, though ultimately these are also non issues. Any cryptocurrency that uses a blockchain concept will have blockchain bloat. Monero's will simply be larger. But 18 years ago i had to worry about my Mp3's using all the space on my 100 MB hard drive that took me 8-10 hours to download over napster.

re: the second part "I have other issues I can't figure out"... Thats definitely not a monero problem.

no real developers is offensive and indicates a lack of knowledge regarding how open source development works. For an animation of all the developers that have contributed, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4xpmbu49d8

And thats just since april 2015!

Regarding performance, try it out on your own (the 0.9 beta binaries in my sig. The old release binaries on the website are not so great. This new version has been in development for some time, and will be amazing).

As for the underlying technology, it is the best out there. Here is my slide show of monero in action

http://imgur.com/a/Oe0l1
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
They are saying however, that the monero blockchain is bloated and that transacting could become very slow in the future because of the large database of transaction information.

Sure, it's an absolutely valid concern.

I think the important thing is not to compare Monero's block size with Dash, but firstly with Bitcoin so that we have a baseline. Monero's transactions are smaller than Bitcoin's, like-for-like. So if Monero were a "transparent blockchain" like Bitcoin's we would have a smaller blockchain than Bitcoin for the same transactions! But since part of Monero's "opaqueness" involves hiding the origin of transactions by making inputs appear to come from multiple transactions, this incurs an additional size penalty. This means that, for the same number of transactions, Monero's blockchain is about 4-5 times bigger than Bitcoin's.

It is important to note, though, that any privacy feature will have a similar impact. Dash's DarkSend, centralised Bitcoin mixing services, or even decentralised initiatives like JoinMarket (which is built on the CoinJoin scheme) all have an increased transaction size. If they are enforced on every transaction (ie. on a protocol level) it means the entire blockchain is significantly larger - and that applies to Bitcoin too!

The reality when it comes to blockchain sizes is that linear blockchain bloat is largely insignificant. What I mean when I say that is this: which is more convenient to host, a 350gb blockchain, or a 1.58tb blockchain? Well they're both inconveniently large, and whilst you could argue that a 350gb blockchain fits on a 512gb SSD today (where a 1.58gb blockchain doesn't) it's obviously growing so fast it'll outstrip that storage space in a matter of months. Basically any blockchain above, like, 20gb is a complete pain in the posterior.

The solution to this problem is not to try incremental, linear decreases in blockchain size. If you have a useful cryptocurrency that people are using the blockchain is going to be large. Suck it up, embrace it, accept it right now. Rather, the long-term solution can be found in blockchain pruning, whereby we cut off all the historical data and only keep a subset (the utxoset for Bitcoin, and the txoset + key image set for Monero). In this Bitcoin has a slightly different approach to Monero, where nodes are either "archival" (keeping the entire blockchain) or "current" (keeping a small portion). With Monero we will be implementing pruning in a per-node configurable basis, where node operators can choose to either keep the whole chain (default), keep only the last M blocks, or keep everything from block N. This will mean that, as a node syncs up, it will find progressively more nodes that have the blocks it is requesting, until it reaches the top block in the network, and every node has that available:)
Jump to: