Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 779. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Hi guys, I have a question...
I'm new to crypto (I always dismissed BTC due to its public nature) and was introduced to DASH by a friend.

I discovered something called "cryptonote" and over at the DASH topic. I just started researching monero/cryptonote, because it was mentioned  that it has private balances, something DASH doesn't have.

They are saying however, that the monero blockchain is bloated and that transacting could become very slow in the future because of the large database of transaction information.

this is what I read in that topic:
I decided above all else, that cryptonote will likely never work because the amount of information each transaction has to be run through is going to become such a large database, it will slow down so badly that it will become a slug.  I can't see how they can possibly trim any of it.  They say they can, but I have other issues I can't figure out, and I've tried.  Still, no gui, a bloated block chain and no real developers working on it makes me think that if it's ever workable, it'll be 20 years in the future. 
Being about 3/4 the age of Dash, almost 5 times the size blockchain, and far far fewer people using it (meaning not nearly as many transactions going through as Dash), their blockchain issues are massive.

Can you guys give me a little bit more information? please, no trolling, I noticed that there is a bit of back and forth trolling between DASH and monero, i'm just here for some information...
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

And just merged into both the master and development branches.

As well as being default, is it an enforced minimum?

The default is enabled immediately, along with some of the other changes (if you build the code yourself, or once there is a binary to download otherwise). The enforced minimums will happen in six months or so once the fork goes into effect.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

Read the following link and it will probably be crystal clear for you -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3n06qw/there_seems_to_be_some_confusion_around_the/
Activity: 450
Merit: 250

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Given this projects' goals, people using it may assume that if it's Monero, its anonymity is not in question. Actually, based on your own words (in bold in the quoted material above) maybe the slogan on the MyMonero front page very well shouldn't be "Send and receive Monero safely and securely, anywhere and any time", and should, instead, be a warning that makes an effort to explain to people that their view keys are being sent to the server, that they're using a JavaScript-based wallet that is never going to be safe, and that this is only a stopgap solution. That would seem to better fit the principles of this project.

It's one of those situations where we can't qualify every statement that is made.

It's like saying that we should change the Monero slogan from "secure, private, untraceable" to "secure (as long as you don't leak your private keys and no exploit or bug exists which lets someone steal your funds), private (as long as you're using i2p, coming soon, and the counterparties you deal with don't reveal your details), untraceable (as long as everyone is using mixin >0 and no systematic reveal of inputs leaks the real one)"...which is not quite as catchy;)
legendary
What about we tone it down and remain respectful to one another?

Agree with you here, can't really comprehend the hostile tone here kazuki49. Illodin just stated a few things he thought would be relevant, there was no trolling or whatsoever involved.

I'm not really being hostile I'm sorry if it is being perceveid as this (except to Illodin because he will keep assuming things to fit his narrative).

I was pointing at the hostile behaviour towards Illodin. I prefer that you argue normally with eachother. Like I said, he did nothing wrong, why the ad hominem attacks then?
Activity: 350

Agree with you here, can't really comprehend the hostile tone here kazuki49. Illodin just stated a few things he thought would be relevant, there was no trolling or whatsoever involved.

I'm not really being hostile I'm sorry if it is being perceveid as this (except to Illodin because he will keep assuming things to fit his narrative).
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
dual boot

very safe

If you get spyware infection while booted on the Windows, it can read the Linux partition and copy itself there.

Not if you encrypt the partition.

Which partition? You'll still have your boot partition unencrypted.

You are not very smart, I knew you were going to say that, lil butthurt dash troll Smiley

...which is why I use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#chkboot that check for modifications of the /boot partition every new boot. I expect people involved in crypto to be able to secure themselves.

Ok, so why it took you so long to google that up then lol.

I use this for years already, I was just waiting you fall in your own web like every troll.

I believe your little brother syndrome has really messed up your head. How was I trolling? Just because I've made money and you haven't doesn't make anything I post "trolling".
dual boot

very safe

If you get spyware infection while booted on the Windows, it can read the Linux partition and copy itself there.

You are not very smart, I knew you were going to say that, lil butthurt dash troll Smiley

...which is why I use https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Specialties#chkboot that check for modifications of the /boot partition every new boot. I expect people involved in crypto to be able to secure themselves.

I use this for years already, was just waiting you fall in your own web like every troll.
dual boot

very safe

Activity: 614
Merit: 506
Applications
Give Linux Mint a try, or Ubuntu. "Linux" may sound intimidating, but my parents use it (Linux Mint) and they're not computer-savvy at all. Here are only a few reasons why you should at least try it:

• It's free.
  • It's very secure. Most linux PCs don't run antivirus software because it's just not needed. You can get antivirus software if you want (also free).
  • It's open-source, meaning, among other things, that people can browse the source code. This lets us verify that there is no spyware in the operating system. Microsoft spies on you, as does Apple, as does Google, as does AVG, etc. Not so with Linux.
  • Firefox comes with the above mentioned versions of Linux, as does LibreOffice. With LibreOffice, you can open/edit/save Microsoft Office documents in Microsoft format, or in other formats. So, there's no need to buy Word, Excel, etc.

Linux also generally uses less system resources. You could put Linux on the free part of your existing hard drive. You can dual-boot your hard drive and when the computer starts, you'd choose between Linux and XP. The linux installation DVD will partition your drive for you (make a backup first!). If you'd use Linux for nothing but a Monero node, you should be ok with a 40GB partition, but of course more space is better. If you don't have space and can't get another computer, you could just buy a separate hard drive and put linux and Monero on it.

As has been mentioned, Windows XP is not supported by Microsoft anymore. It's not a very secure system to begin with, and with no patches available, it becomes more of a target for hackers with each passing day. It's not a system I'd want my Moneroj on.

As one who's tried thousands of times to explain this to people, but many are stuck in their ways & always having to go back to Windows or Mac because it's the only two options is now the past (Unix/Linux or Open Source Operating Systems have been around for well over a decade). The funny thing is both Ubuntu & Linux Mint are just like a Mac or Windows build, give a Windows user Mint (Cinnamon Edition) & a Mac user Ubuntu (Unity Desktop). It's been over a decade of non-stop people wanting their XP (Vista or 7), even when there's a better soulution out there & the cost of users is far less. I don't dislike Windows, but am not a fan of Mac / Apple & only because of the poverty it takes to utilize. As a kid wanting the fancy shoes, but all grown up & will take the payless brand knowing the cost / labor in said buy.
dual boot

very safe

If you get spyware infection while booted on the Windows, it can see the Linux partition and copy itself there. Your run-of-the-mill keylogger hidden inside a clone coin wallet probably can't do that though.

I don't think your "spyware infection" is going to try to search for ext4/xfs/jfs/btrfs/zfs partitions while you're booted into Windows - which can't natively read any of those disk formats - and inject an ELF executable.

If that happens, you're being targeted by a much more sinister organization.

Yes, for example LEA agents looking to steal your coins. They have the technology, and are just humans. Theft will happen.
Activity: 201
Merit: 100

If you get spyware infection while booted on the Windows, it can see the Linux partition and copy itself there. Your run-of-the-mill keylogger hidden inside a clone coin wallet probably can't do that though.

I don't think your "spyware infection" is going to try to search for ext4/xfs/jfs/btrfs/zfs partitions while you're booted into Windows - which can't natively read any of those disk formats - and inject an ELF executable.

If that happens, you're being targeted by a much more sinister organization.
dual boot

very safe

dual boot

very safe

dual boot

very safe

Jump to: