Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 786. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
Development has now moved from master to the development branch: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/development

Here's a list of the noteworthy changes since last time:

Another update:

Stuff can go both to master and development at the moment, so I'll pick anything new, whether it goes to the former or the latter. Not that there's been a lot:

- New voting code for the hard fork schedule: this will keep track of what versions miners are using, and will hard fork when there is enough of a supermajority on the latest version over a week.

- Some modifications for the first hard fork. Mainly the minimum mixin. The "no new dust" isn't here yet. Miners will also be able to claim less block reward if they choose to, in order to avoid that dust.

Activity: 81
Merit: 10
https://twitter.com/BitRushProject
reading through the source and had a question:

What is the difference between a public address and a public integrated address?

It would be the wallet address and the payment ID.

make_integrated_address
   make an integrated address from the wallet address and a payment id
   inputs:
      payment_id: string
         hex encoded; can be empty, in which case a random payment id is generated
   outputs:
      integrated_address: string

split_integrated_address
   retrieve the standard address and payment id corresponding to an integrated address
   inputs:
   outputs:
      standard_address: string
      payment: string
         hex encoded

Thank you.

Smoothie, I'm not sure about the development, but what I can remember is that Mymonero doesn't support the integrated addresses (yet?) and that only simple wallet does. Someone would be able to elaborate.

It does support the integrated address.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Wolf0 has taken up working on an AMD open source miner!

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/2400/open-source-amd-miner-by-wolf0

Please check out the getmonero.org forum thread and add your comments or suggestions.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
I think we should add a directory of recommended privacy focused businesses on getmonero.org

my reasoning is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3na529/two_way_street/
legendary
@GingerAle, I just noticed the "Improved NVIDIA mining software" funding is now complete.

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2355/improved-nvidia-mining-software

Oh snap! Great news!
legendary
Activity: 1624
@GingerAle, I just noticed the "Improved NVIDIA mining software" funding is now complete.

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2355/improved-nvidia-mining-software
Activity: 231
Merit: 100
I encourage people to read this list and contribute to it: (both suggesting tasks and also signing up for tasks).

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/2395/task-list-to-do-list

It is a suggestion of an up-to-date task list with smaller tasks needed to be done.
legendary
If you can figure out the spot where we can introduce "scan blockchain from height X" during a wallet scan, let me know. Refreshing from the beginning of blocktime to find inputs you own when you created a wallet yesterday makes no damn sense.

It already does that if you are rescanning from a keys file. It doesn't do that when rescanning from a mnemonic because (unlike a keys file) the mnemonic doesn't include any indication of when it was created. In theory you could restore a mnemonic from yesterday but in practice most of the time when you do that the wallet will be "old". I find the current behavior okay, although adding one more word the mnemonic to give a rough indication of creation time would be okay too, but I'm not even sure that is a good tradeoff (longer mnemonics are less convenient, etc.)

.... which basically calls out the fact that i keep on accidentally deleting my keys files during system wipes and have to rely on the seed words....

good to know, thanks Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
If you can figure out the spot where we can introduce "scan blockchain from height X" during a wallet scan, let me know. Refreshing from the beginning of blocktime to find inputs you own when you created a wallet yesterday makes no damn sense.

It already does that if you are rescanning from a keys file. It doesn't do that when rescanning from a mnemonic because (unlike a keys file) the mnemonic doesn't include any indication of when it was created. In theory you could restore a mnemonic from yesterday but in practice most of the time when you do that the wallet will be "old". I find the current behavior okay, although adding one more word the mnemonic to give a rough indication of creation time would be okay too, but I'm not even sure that is a good tradeoff (longer mnemonics are less convenient, etc.)

legendary

What is the difference between a public address and a public integrated address?

make_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:

split_integrated_address
   retrieve the standard address and payment id corresponding to an integrated address
   inputs:
   outputs:
         hex encoded

Thank you.

Smoothie, I'm not sure about the development, but what I can remember is that Mymonero doesn't support the integrated addresses (yet?) and that only simple wallet does. Someone would be able to elaborate.

That's good to know.

I'm going through the source (simple wallet included) and trying to understand the code for myself UNDER_THE_HOOD.

Fungibility cannot be obtained on a voluntary basis, period. Anybody suggesting otherwise is being irrational (which is surprising in the case of Antonopoulos).
That is why privacy is the only possible enabler of fungibility in cryptocurrencies.

I was watching his talk and coudn't stop thinking how it feels wrong as we still sit around one talking head and take his words as holy. I don't believe Bitcoin represents my best interests anymore.

kudos to dnaleor for asking a real question so we can see through the cracks.

don't speak for everyone here Smiley I had to google who this guy was. I guess this is the "benefit" of being late to the game.

No one should take anyone's word for holy. No smooth words said, no equine neighs. But some have better track records and reputation than others.

I do agree though that in the case of the video he is damaging his track-record and reputation.

What's positive to be said about him is he gets many more people on board. When you're on board you still gotta find your own way.  
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

make_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:

split_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:
         hex encoded

Thank you.

That's good to know.

I'm going through the source (simple wallet included) and trying to understand the code for myself UNDER_THE_HOOD.

make_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:

split_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:
         hex encoded

Thank you.

legendary
Fungibility cannot be obtained on a voluntary basis, period. Anybody suggesting otherwise is being irrational (which is surprising in the case of Antonopoulos).
That is why privacy is the only possible enabler of fungibility in cryptocurrencies.

I was watching his talk and coudn't stop thinking how it feels wrong as we still sit around one talking head and take his words as holy. I don't believe Bitcoin represents my best interests anymore.

don't speak for everyone here Smiley I had to google who this guy was. I guess this is the "benefit" of being late to the game.
legendary

make_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:

split_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:
         hex encoded

Thank you.

make_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:

split_integrated_address
   inputs:
   outputs:
         hex encoded
legendary

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Activity: 400
Merit: 263

Hello,

Seems that 8GB of memory is no more sufficent to load the blockchain on Windows... When i launch the bitmonero daemon, Windows says there's no more memory available for the process and kill it. I try to unload many things and boot windows very light, but same problem.

It's time to go to the db version ?

Hm there must be something else causing this issue.

Today I loaded an old 0.8.8.6 wallet on a Win7 64bit subnotebook with 4 GB RAM. I took a looooooong time to load (30 mins) and synch (7 hours) the last 151 days but now it is running and I can empty the balance to my 1337 Linux box with the DB wallet
legendary

Hello,

Seems that 8GB of memory is no more sufficent to load the blockchain on Windows... When i launch the bitmonero daemon, Windows says there's no more memory available for the process and kill it. I try to unload many things and boot windows very light, but same problem.

It's time to go to the db version ?

Check out the Win 64 beta binaries in my signature.
Jump to: