Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 823. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
A lot of work is here But the price is Frustrating ..... what's a real plan by the community for get higher price ?

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
A lot of work is here But the price is Frustrating ..... what's a real plan by the community for get higher price ?

May I suggest sailing on aminorex's boat.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131

Haha, come on. If we could control the price we would do it right now, go to the moon and beyond.

Interesting. So no color, just gray and simple lines ?
Some interesting trends noted here:
http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_blog/index.php/top-100-most-valuable-brands-their-logos/
Scroll down to the bar chart.
The main failing of the Monero logo IMO is the color scheme. The most successful logo colors are blue, red, "no color" or yellow/gold. Again that fits with the simple, clean and pretty concept (i.e. these are all simple/common colors). Most that do use a unique "signature" color such as Starbucks or The Home Depot use only a single color. The Monero colors are a bit too hard to process, and hardly anyone would call it pretty.

I see. Simplifying is always the most difficult task.
Less is more.

The most talented logo artist I personally know is someone named Sebastian Coria.  He's an artist in Argentina and he makes his living through art projects online paid by crypto.  That attractive Americanpegasus logo by my name?  That was designed by him. 
I'll point him towards this topic and get his thoughts.  If he does create something incredible that ends up being used, I'm sure getting him a crowd funded donation equal to a proper commission won't be too hard. 

How much do you think ?
legendary
Activity: 1260

make masternodes and hybrid POS and replace the block reward with pizza and beer.
That's a great link smooth, and I agree.  

I think that if the logo changes it should be in conjunction with the GUI release.  That way we have our old-school Monero logo for when we had to use punch cards and vacuum tube to deal in Monero and a slick redesign for the mass appeal.  

Perhaps the GUI should even include an option to allow you to revert to an Atari 2600 style theme using the classic Monero logo. (Easter egg?)  

The most talented logo artist I personally know is someone named Sebastian Coria.  He's an artist in Argentina and he makes his living through art projects online paid by crypto.  That attractive Americanpegasus logo by my name?  That was designed by him.  

I'll point him towards this topic and get his thoughts.  If he does create something incredible that ends up being used, I'm sure getting him a crowd funded donation equal to a proper commission won't be too hard.  
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
I personally like the Monero logo, its a bit more tasteful and restrained than what you see with most altcoins.

Red might be an interesting move, I'd go for that. Like the red in the LEGO logo.

There's enough blue happening right now in my opinion, just about every website that deals with money is blue (Paypal, Coinbase, MyMonero).
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I think Monero logo Shocked should change asap...

I don't think it should change ASAP, but I have some ideas.  I am a marketing enthusiast in my spare time, and love reading books about psychology.  I believe the current logo evokes feelings of old-school software design and the glory age of personal computing freedom of the late 70's early 80's (like the Cave Johnson era of Aperture Science), but it might not be suitable as a mass market logo to appeal to the masses.
What appeals to the masses is pretty predictable actually: simple, glossy, shiny, pretty. 
That doesn't mean that Monero needs to dumb itself down but that humans chose gold as the first global ledger not just because of all it's other intrinsic qualities, but also because it was pretty. 
If Monero wants to go global.... I hate to say it... but it's gonna need to be pretty

Some interesting trends noted here:

http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_blog/index.php/top-100-most-valuable-brands-their-logos/

Scroll down to the bar chart.

The main failing of the Monero logo IMO is the color scheme. The most successful logo colors are blue, red, "no color" or yellow/gold. Again that fits with the simple, clean and pretty concept (i.e. these are all simple/common colors). Most that do use a unique "signature" color such as Starbucks or The Home Depot use only a single color. The Monero colors are a bit too hard to process, and hardly anyone would call it pretty.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131

I don't think it should change ASAP, but I have some ideas.  I am a marketing enthusiast in my spare time, and love reading books about psychology.  I believe the current logo evokes feelings of old-school software design and the glory age of personal computing freedom of the late 70's early 80's (like the Cave Johnson era of Aperture Science), but it might not be suitable as a mass market logo to appeal to the masses.
What appeals to the masses is pretty predictable actually: simple, glossy, shiny, pretty. 
That doesn't mean that Monero needs to dumb itself down but that humans chose gold as the first global ledger not just because of all it's other intrinsic qualities, but also because it was pretty. 
If Monero wants to go global.... I hate to say it... but it's gonna need to be pretty

I don't think it should change ASAP, but I have some ideas.  I am a marketing enthusiast in my spare time, and love reading books about psychology.  I believe the current logo evokes feelings of old-school software design and the glory age of personal computing freedom of the late 70's early 80's (like the Cave Johnson era of Aperture Science), but it might not be suitable as a mass market logo to appeal to the masses.  

If Monero wants to go global.... I hate to say it... but it's gonna need to be pretty.

Activity: 722
Merit: 500
StakeChain Community leader
Why, it looks good imo
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1260
so the GPU mining software funding has evolved.

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/323/open-source-gpu-mining-software-hashrate-increase-fund-bounty-hire-a-dev-whatever

djm34 wants me to pitch for him, so we've turned it into a "we'll come up with a mining software wishlist of milestones, djm34 will tell us whats feasible"
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
I have a knopix bootable Linux OS CD for emergencies

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

Any thoughts, criticisms, or suggestions?  
I think you are beeing a litle too extreme Tongue

I just generated my wallet on my PC, write down the words on a paper and saved the keys in a pen drive... i think that if you are gonna to install linux or dont have to convert much about security if that is the only thing you gonna do with the computer... i dont think you need an secound laptop for generating a cold wallet... also, i dont see any problem of instaling SO from pen drive... you write the ISO directly on the flash drive as you would on CD or DVD, if you suspect of that you have to suspect that the program that you are using to create the flash (pendrivelinux or whatever) will inject some kind of malicious software on your SO

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
--snip--
Firewall, no script, and adblock were all activated on this machine.  
--snip--

Perhaps install MalwareBytes also as an additional security measure.

These are both Linux systems...  Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.  Cheesy

Oh gosh, what a mistake  Cheesy. Completely missed that. The fact that it's already late here doesn't help either :-P My apologies for cluttering the thread!
Hey, but now that you mention it, I did have some problems even with that HP model installing Mint. 

What happened was I couldn't install because it kept telling me part of the Windows partition was in use, but I just kept half-installing and restarting and on the third time it went through while warning me that the entire drive would be erased (good). 

Even now, turning the laptop on from being totally off takes me to an error screen telling me that my computer is corrupted and needs manufacturer support.  Then it lets me choose to go to the boot menu where I see the Linux boot partition/loader and everything is fine after that.   

I actually prefer it this way, if casual user finds the laptop and turns it on they may just assume it's a broken spare.

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of system I had in mind. They have a 64 bit CPU but usually a 32 bit boot loader.

The discussion below is out of date and the situation is probably better now but you may have some adventures ahead.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2252391

Once you get it to work though, that should be a great system for Monero. If the install adventures don't scare you then I wouldn't return it.

What?  Aw, hellllll no.  

I'm lucky I stopped for some ab-enabling Cheesecake Factory after I checked out.  Man, I'm still across the street and they got this model on sale for $170.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-stream-11-6-laptop-intel-celeron-2gb-memory-32gb-emmc-solid-state-drive-horizon-blue/9195102.p?id=1219398344673   

I'll just go exchange it out real quick.  That hassle ain't worth $20.

Thanks smooth!  You just saved me some trouble.
Great step forward

Comment: the second "cold wallet only" laptop with a resident install is pretty extreme.
Using a bootable distro (from cd or usb) to generate cold wallets would work almost as good on laptop #1 (if disconnected from internet during the live bootable session entirely - and minus possible  hardware infections). The advantage being you don't need to rely on your residently installed distribution on laptop #2 (this could be compromised silently with physical access while you're not home). For that matter (integrity of linux bootable media) I would advise cd rather than usb stick. Buy a cheap cd reader if laptop doesn't have any.
So suggestion in general: boot with cd on laptop #1 to generate cold wallet. Paranoid suggestion given you have two laptops: boot with cd on laptop #2 to generate cold wallet.
And better stick to good old CDs (of which you'll have checked the hash - md5 or shaX).

Ah and 2FA on poloniex is a must.

Thanks for your suggestions and time.  With yours and smooths encouragement I will take it to the next level and attempt to install mint via a CD and the external drive.  Also, 2fa security on erreything, erryday.  

My girl don't even drop her panties unless I authenticate with a signed text message.  Mutha fukin tom cruise and his mission impossible masks have cuckolded me for the last time.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I have an external USB DVD drive, but I'm not sure how I would use that to install a Linux distribution via CD without having to resort to the USB stick.

I have done that many times. Sometimes it requires changing some BIOS settings, but I don't remember ever not being able to get it to work.  

If that ultracheap laptop is one of those Atom-based systems with the hybrid 32-bit/64-bit hardware, you can still get Linux to work, but setup is a bit trickier.

Just checked the processor on the second compy; I think I'll be ok.  It doesn't say anything but 64-bit in the description.  

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz#@product/specifications

Yeah, that's exactly the sort of system I had in mind. They have a 64 bit CPU but usually a 32 bit boot loader.

The discussion below is out of date and the situation is probably better now but you may have some adventures ahead.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2252391

Once you get it to work though, that should be a great system for Monero. If the install adventures don't scare you then I wouldn't return it.
Jump to: