Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 824. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
--snip--
 Firewall, no script, and adblock were all activated on this machine.  
--snip--

Perhaps install MalwareBytes also as an additional security measure.

These are both Linux systems...  Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
--snip--
 Firewall, no script, and adblock were all activated on this machine.  
--snip--

Perhaps install MalwareBytes also as an additional security measure.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Great step forward

Comment: the second "cold wallet only" laptop with a resident install is pretty extreme.
Using a bootable distro (from cd or usb) to generate cold wallets would work almost as good on laptop #1 (if disconnected from internet during the live bootable session entirely - and minus possible  hardware infections). The advantage being you don't need to rely on your residently installed distribution on laptop #2 (this could be compromised silently with physical access while you're not home). For that matter (integrity of linux bootable media) I would advise cd rather than usb stick. Buy a cheap cd reader if laptop doesn't have any.
So suggestion in general: boot with cd on laptop #1 to generate cold wallet. Paranoid suggestion given you have two laptops: boot with cd on laptop #2 to generate cold wallet.
And better stick to good old CDs (of which you'll have checked the hash - md5 or shaX).

Ah and 2FA on poloniex is a must.
I have an external USB DVD drive, but I'm not sure how I would use that to install a Linux distribution via CD without having to resort to the USB stick.

I have done that many times. Sometimes it requires changing some BIOS settings, but I don't remember ever not being able to get it to work. 

If that ultracheap laptop is one of those Atom-based systems with the hybrid 32-bit/64-bit hardware, you can still get Linux to work, but setup is a bit trickier.

Just checked the processor on the second compy; I think I'll be ok.  It doesn't say anything but 64-bit in the description. 

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz#@product/specifications
I have an external USB DVD drive, but I'm not sure how I would use that to install a Linux distribution via CD without having to resort to the USB stick.

I have done that many times. Sometimes it requires changing some BIOS settings, but I don't remember ever not being able to get it to work. 

If that ultracheap laptop is one of those Atom-based systems with the hybrid 32-bit/64-bit hardware, you can still get Linux to work, but setup is a bit trickier.

Ah crap, I checked the system info on the demo model and in store it said x64 hardware so I didn't worry. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-11-6-laptop-intel-atom-2gb-memory-32gb-flash-storage-blue/3953761.p?id=1219610986272 

Think this will be a problem?  Worth returning to the store and bumping up to a Celeron processor vs. an Atom? 
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

This week I got serious about crypto-security, and bought two small cheap laptops.  I'll be setting them both up for use with Monero exclusively.  Before this, I was basically being a total fucking idiot keeping all my crypto on an exchange accessed with the same laptop I was using to visit SketchyRussianDownloads dot com regularly.

So the new setup is this:  

Laptop one is a brand new laptop specifically for running a full node, compiling Monero builds, accessing Poloniex, accessing MyMonero and pretty much nothing else.  It booted into Windows 8 once so I could download Linux Mint and then I formatted the hard drive with a Mint installation via a Bootable USB drive (brand new and only used for this purpose).  I did it this way because the laptop doesn't have an internal disc drive.  

The second is never intended to touch the Internet.  It will be used only for generating cold wallet addresses.  

Unfortunately, it doesn't have an internal CD Drive, so unfortunately I'll have to boot via the same USB drive to install Linux on first startup.  This unfortunate measure will be redeemed slightly by, like I said, the USB drive being brand new and only having ever touched the first laptop mentioned, and then only to become a Mint install drive and nothing else.  

I'm gonna call this whole scheme "Pegasus's Pretty-Good Security" PPGS, a nice compromise between troublesome paranoia and what an average computer fluent person can accomplish with two days and a few hundred dollars.  

I have an external USB DVD drive, but I'm not sure how I would use that to install a Linux distribution via CD without having to resort to the USB stick.  I plan to use the external DVD drive to burn some (encrypted) backups of all cold private keys generated though.  

Any thoughts, criticisms, or suggestions?  

I've already set up the first laptop and accomplished the first three objectives: access Poloniex with it, and change my password to a new password only ever used on that machine; access MyMonero with it and create a new account only ever accessed with that laptop, and compile/run the latest Monero source with it.  Firewall, no script, and adblock were all activated on this machine.  As well, the part of Linux (I forget the name) that can emulate some windows functions was turned off.  

The second laptop is still brand new in the box.  But since it only cost $150 and a model with an internal DVD drive is $280 I feel that I'm pretty satisfied with installing Linux on my cold machine via USB.  (The one in a million chance that there's some factory pre-installed Chinese spyware on the USB isn't worth an extra $150 IMHO)  

Alright, hit me with your best shot.  Pretty good security, or am I being a tard?  Obviously both laptops will be encrypted at the Linux level and also have a BIOS password.  Would you trust this setup with a million dollars?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Monero price range stable between 190k~220k sat.

its very good,the community support this coin. i just want to see more gambling site to spend my monero, anyone could tell me? besides safedice

If I recall correctly SafeDice is currently the only gambling site accepting XMR.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Monero price range stable between 190k~220k sat.

its very good,the community support this coin. i just want to see more gambling site to spend my monero, anyone could tell me? besides safedice
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
How many xmr (maximum) can i send on Polonex (by one transaction) from MoneroClient.Net?

theoretically, all of them. Though the cost of the transaction will depend on the outputs you have (if I understand things correctly)

All of them modulo fee, unless you have very small dust, due to the per-byte fee.
You may have more luck with a recent simplewallet, which has a transfer_new command which allows you to send more of your balance at once (by not creating intermediary change in those cases).

Note that transfers with large amounts of outputs (or large mixin) can be split in several transactions automatically by simplewallet (and probably MoneroClient too, but I'm speculating here).

I try sending 64, and its freeze.

I think freezing on transfers is a known bug with jojaketoks software. You can easily work around this by doing things in the command line, but I don't have the time to walk you through it. If you can hop on IRC someone can probably walk you through it.

https://kiwiirc.com/client

type in #monero for the channel, and pick a user name. Then ask for help making a transaction on windows...

Does the latest version of jojaketoks client still have this glitch?

Is it related to sending large amounts or does it freeze on any amount?

Now i have update the last version 1.2.2, when i send example - 370 xmr and nothing happens.

update:

Trying to send 20 coins, insert address and id, mix 3 times, and the program is closed when you press send? Where is the mistake? version 1.2.2.

Not sure but check for spaces in front of what you enter, is your ID a valid number of characters?
Activity: 687
novag
How many xmr (maximum) can i send on Polonex (by one transaction) from MoneroClient.Net?

theoretically, all of them. Though the cost of the transaction will depend on the outputs you have (if I understand things correctly)

All of them modulo fee, unless you have very small dust, due to the per-byte fee.
You may have more luck with a recent simplewallet, which has a transfer_new command which allows you to send more of your balance at once (by not creating intermediary change in those cases).

Note that transfers with large amounts of outputs (or large mixin) can be split in several transactions automatically by simplewallet (and probably MoneroClient too, but I'm speculating here).

I think freezing on transfers is a known bug with jojaketoks software. You can easily work around this by doing things in the command line, but I don't have the time to walk you through it. If you can hop on IRC someone can probably walk you through it.

type in #monero for the channel, and pick a user name. Then ask for help making a transaction on windows...

Now i have update the last version 1.2.2, when i send example - 370 xmr and nothing happens.

update:

Trying to send 20 coins, insert address and id, mix 3 times, and the program is closed when you press send? Where is the mistake? version 1.2.2.
legendary
Activity: 1456

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

novag

legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

Activity: 798

It would depends on the inputs, no? From which the total transaction size and therefore fee/kb is calculated ?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

novag
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
I have a few short answers!

Thanks for your helpful replies.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
A few short questions about the project:

I have a few short answers!

1) Looking at the design and development goals for monero at https://getmonero.org/design-goals/, what is the rationale for using zeroMQ for RPC ?

We're using 0MQ for IPC (communication between client subsystems, like mining software or wallet software, and the daemon). RPC is still available via good ol' JSON RPC API. However, instead of having some calls only available via the daemon's RPC interface and some only available via the wallet interface we make all of them available via an RPC-capable wallet, or a subset available via an RPC stub, both of which communicate with the daemon via 0MQ.

2) How is ongoing development financed ?

I have a slide on this in my Bitcoinference talk, here you go:

The forum funding system is newer, so it's only just started to become useful, but I expect that will be the main finance driver in future.

3) What processes are used to define the design goals and prioritize them ?

The core team are stewards of the project, and so the bulk of those decisions were "made" by the core team, but born out of discussions here, on IRC, on Reddit, on the Monero Forum, etc. This is roughly the model going forward, in that the project is driven by something akin to Apache's lazy consensus model. Community members can pitch ideas on the forum, existing or new contributors can pledge to complete an idea (setting milestones and costs), and then the community raises funds against that idea. That entire process doesn't require any "guidance" from the core team, although we will say something if we think it is a waste of effort or whatever.

4) Should a need arise to change the POW algo because, for example, someone introduces a CryptoNight FPGA or ASIC device, what process would the monero community and/or the development team use to pick a new algorithm and schedule its introduction ?

Someone would pitch replacements as ideas, and consensus would typically emerge from the discussions on the relevant ideas threads. An idea to implement WafflePoW (not an actual thing) is useless unless there's someone willing to do the work. At the same time, a suggestion to switch to X13 would be laughed away, even if there were someone willing to do the work. Once an idea is workable, is generally agreed upon, and has an implementer, it can move to being funded. Once implementation starts it would typically be too late for someone else to suddenly decide they've got a better idea, unless the community really thinks it's worth halting the one to switch to the other.

5) Are there estimated dates for the completion of these goals ?

Without knowing who will complete them, what other ones will come up, if there will be funding for them, it's hard to say:)
Jump to: