Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 822. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 158
Merit: 100
Interesting related news...  effect on us?
https://www.bitfinex.com/pages/announcements/?id=49

Well.. two coins competing for the same niche, one is booted from finex because of low volume, while the other one is having a >700 BTC 24h volume.

It probably won't convince the hardcore dashcoiners but it is another great sign for monero supporters.

IMO Dash is dumping and will dump more because of this.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
does mining monero still profitable?

it looks like better buy monero on exchange and use it for trading,,the most simple thing to do without harming your computer..hehe
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

I have no desire to run a computer at 100c for a week just to earn 10 or 20 Monero, but I will happily go toss some money into an exchange for them.  Without anyone 'dumping' I wouldn't have that opportunity, so I've never been bothered by this behavior.  

I know you were just making a point, but:

I think you underestimate the hashpower required under current block reward/difficulty XMR mining conditions.

You would need a VERY serious rig to mine 10, let alone 20, Monero in one week.

Yes but imagine you manage to mine just 1 XMR, and then decide to hold it for 10 years. Wow!

and then add on top of that the fact that NO ONE knows you ever acquired that 1 XMR. There's no fiat -> xmr path.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

I have no desire to run a computer at 100c for a week just to earn 10 or 20 Monero, but I will happily go toss some money into an exchange for them.  Without anyone 'dumping' I wouldn't have that opportunity, so I've never been bothered by this behavior.  

I think you underestimate the hashpower required under current block reward/difficulty XMR mining conditions.

Yes but imagine you manage to mine just 1 XMR, and then decide to hold it for 10 years. Wow!

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
I don't think it matters who mines. 

If you mine, you either keep the coins (good for the speculation stage of the coin) or you dump them onto an exchange. 

Dumping onto an exchange by miners isn't anything but a test of that coin's actual market.  If a coin is meant to die or waning in popularity, then yeah, the dumps will kill it. 

But if it is still inflating and people are growing in excitement about it, the whole process provides an elegant way to buy Monero at a competitive price that should be very close to its true market value (plus the cost of electricity to mine them). 

I have no desire to run a computer at 100c for a week just to earn 10 or 20 Monero, but I will happily go toss some money into an exchange for them.  Without anyone 'dumping' I wouldn't have that opportunity, so I've never been bothered by this behavior. 

I'm sure it sucks for coins that are in a weird limbo of still being profitable to mine but that don't have enough long-term prospects to justify the purchase of those coins off an exchange...  Perhaps in these cases it's best to see the writing on the wall: a new currency must have a unique and powerful reason to exist.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3g1rpx/mad_bitcoins_on_twitter_the_truth_behind/ctu7e3u

WHO ARE THOSE PEOPLE?

[–]IanGameWoof 2 points 19 minutes ago

I may not have explained that correctly. They asked me to investigate into accusations that Monero was mined exclusively (or almost exclusively) with malware powered botnets.

Instead, I found evidence that it was mostly mined with cloud computing.
You can tell because the difficulty (at least around summer 2014) would mirror the prices at Amazon. When it went up, the difficulty went down and when it went down the difficulty went up.

So, when I tried to write that story, they killed it, so it never got published.

LOL

Pretty much what I said last year. Difficulty was way too low to be dominated by botnets. Still is to a lesser extent. (I'm mining profitably while paying for electricity right now. If botnets really dominated that would be impossible.)

I think as many people have explained here many times mining is just not a good use for a botnet and has high costs in terms of bot attrition. So there is some of course, but it's self-limiting.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3g1rpx/mad_bitcoins_on_twitter_the_truth_behind/ctu7e3u

WHO ARE THOSE PEOPLE?

[–]IanGameWoof 2 points 19 minutes ago

I may not have explained that correctly. They asked me to investigate into accusations that Monero was mined exclusively (or almost exclusively) with malware powered botnets.

Instead, I found evidence that it was mostly mined with cloud computing.
You can tell because the difficulty (at least around summer 2014) would mirror the prices at Amazon. When it went up, the difficulty went down and when it went down the difficulty went up.

So, when I tried to write that story, they killed it, so it never got published.

LOL
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
Activity: 795
Merit: 514

Shocker, especially after articles like this: http://cointelegraph.com/news/114746/cryptonote-based-bytecoin-turns-3-plans-to-implement-colored-coins-smart-contracts

It's only a matter of time now before an ex-coindesk writer confirms darkcoin sponsorship and paid non-coverage of cryptonote. Edit: just checked... after a year and a half, the term "cryptonote" has been mentioned once on coindesk.com. Darkcoin? Mentioned in at least 35 different articles.

I stopped following all crypto-dedicated news sites after realizing just how corrupt most of them are.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
For all those that are newbz enough to this whole story: cointelegraph repeatedly published articles that gave credit to the bytecoin and cryptonote team stories. I'm lazy to dig them now, and if you're lazy too I'm sure everything will surface again in the next days.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504

TL;DW: We've revealed today that according to our sources, cointelegraph was allegedly owned and operated by bytecoin and early cryptonote coins. (Actual quote)

lol.  Create what you fear the most.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free

TL;DW: We've revealed today that according to our sources, cointelegraph was allegedly owned and operated by bytecoin and early cryptonote coins. (Actual quote)
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

Skimmed through a little, Bytecoin solicited CoinTelegraph for articles I think

It was started by the people behind bytecoin and started with pro bcn articles and some anti Monero ones mixed in with their coverage.  Evolved from there.  Writer being interviewed says they are scammers in how they treat the writers.
Activity: 379
Activity: 379

They are talking shit about Bytecoin being behind coin telegraph and that Monero was mostly mined by botnets.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Jump to: