Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 828. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
LMDB sync from scratch in just over 3 hours, and daemon using only 60MB to 100MB RAM. DB is so small I can't find it. What a difference!

I haven't built monero or synched from scratch with the DB personally but this is certainly encouraging news. Impressive, very impressive.

With the reduced memory requirements is it time for me to set up my dedicated full node? 

I saw a brand new HP Intel Celeron laptop with 2GB of memory on sale at Best Buy last night for $179.  It was too good of a deal so I bought it.  I've been planning to create a Monero "pretty-secure" wallet station for a while so I'm not holding all my coins on Poloniex. 

The ultimate plan for the savings is to hold a third in a secure online service (currently Poloniex), a third on a full node running on a laptop only used to run that full node (with an encrypted backup), and a third in cold storage. 

Thoughts?  Also, this little thing came with Windows 8.  I've never used a Linux distro before, but I was thinking about trying it for this project. 

(also, I would obviously only play around with test amounts of coins until I am very confident in my abilities to send/receive Monero on a direct level)
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
LMDB sync from scratch in just over 3 hours, and daemon using only 60MB to 100MB RAM. DB is so small I can't find it. What a difference!

I haven't built monero or synched from scratch with the DB personally but this is certainly encouraging news. Impressive, very impressive.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250

ssssshhhhhhhhhh, monero is slow and bloated. Grin
Activity: 450
Activity: 500
Merit: 500
@GingerAle: you can simplify a bit and replace
Code:
libboost1.55-dev libboost-system1.55-dev libboost-filesystem1.55-dev libboost-thread1.55-dev libboost-date_time1.55-dev libboost-chrono1.55-dev libboost-regex1.55-dev libboost-serialization1.55-dev libboost-program_options1.55-dev
by
Code:
libboost1.55-all-dev
it install some additional unused lib but it's easier.

Code:
sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-all-dev libunbound-dev build-essential libssl-dev libdb++-dev
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
I've compiled Monero successfully on two different Linux Mint 17.1 boxes. These instructions look correct. I'm on a Mac right now, so I can't delve into this deeper at the moment. Just know that it does work. I can try and help later today or tomorrow. Also, the monero IRC channel is usually very helpful.

If you could it would be appreciated. I should specify, it's Mint Mate 17.2 I have installed. I'll try and get some time in the Monero IRC channel later today too.
OK, I just installed a fresh Mint 17.2 in a VM and indeed, there are dependencies above what's needed for Ubuntu. The process should look more like this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev libboost-system1.55-dev libboost-filesystem1.55-dev libboost-thread1.55-dev libboost-date_time1.55-dev libboost-chrono1.55-dev libboost-regex1.55-dev libboost-serialization1.55-dev libboost-program_options1.55-dev libunbound-dev build-essential libssl-dev libdb++-dev

Code:
git clone https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero.git

Code:
cd bitmonero
make

Let me know how you make out.

edit: forgot libdb++-dev

Worked a treat. Thank you very much

thanks for posting. I've added it to my post on the monero support thread.
I've compiled Monero successfully on two different Linux Mint 17.1 boxes. These instructions look correct. I'm on a Mac right now, so I can't delve into this deeper at the moment. Just know that it does work. I can try and help later today or tomorrow. Also, the monero IRC channel is usually very helpful.

If you could it would be appreciated. I should specify, it's Mint Mate 17.2 I have installed. I'll try and get some time in the Monero IRC channel later today too.
OK, I just installed a fresh Mint 17.2 in a VM and indeed, there are dependencies above what's needed for Ubuntu. The process should look more like this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev libboost-system1.55-dev libboost-filesystem1.55-dev libboost-thread1.55-dev libboost-date_time1.55-dev libboost-chrono1.55-dev libboost-regex1.55-dev libboost-serialization1.55-dev libboost-program_options1.55-dev libunbound-dev build-essential libssl-dev libdb++-dev

Code:

Code:
cd bitmonero
make

Worked a treat. Thank you very much
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Activity: 478

That's a good read, think i'll have work through the MRLSs

If you're interested in the cryptography (and like python) then you may be interested in some of the work the MRL have been doing:

https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero
https://github.com/ShenNoether/LMDBExplorer

This is really really cool, thanks for the link. A lot of the functions in limited context i can see what they do, but will definitely spend a lot of time there trying to work out whats going on in bigger picture. This is great, will help with progressing my python and digging into monero guts Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1105
This was a very helpful graph in understanding bitcoin address basics.  Does anyone know of anything like this for Monero addresses? 

OT: Note that this is for uncompressed pub keys. Compressed ones start with 0x02 or 0x03 instead of 0x04, and are 32 bytes long instead of 64.

Well they're 33 and 65 bytes if you include the prefix. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
This was a very helpful graph in understanding bitcoin address basics.  Does anyone know of anything like this for Monero addresses? 

OT: Note that this is for uncompressed pub keys. Compressed ones start with 0x02 or 0x03 instead of 0x04, and are 32 bytes long instead of 64.
legendary
Isn't a private key way longer than an address?

This is probably wrong, but my though process:
No of bitcoin addresses = X^length

length = 32
x is no of characters. Since you have alphabet + capitals + numbers i would say X = 62.

It has to start with either a 1 or a 3 though, so 2 * 62^31, right?

The reason bitcoin addresses are short is they are hash of an ECC public key. In order to sign a transaction you have to provide with your signature, the full (longer) public key, which is first checked to hash to the address, before being used for verification.

But Monero address aren't directly comparable to Bitcoin addresses in another way. There is an extra step in the handling of stealth addresses that uses the address (public key) to create a new one-time key pair each time it is used. Only the one-time public key goes on the blockchain, not the address itself. That's why it is said that payments are unlinkable: no one can tell by looking at the blockchain the address that was used.

One-time keypairs essentially means there's something like 2^256 possible "addresses", irrespective of how many spend/view key combinations there are (though there'd be loads of collisions long before that).

I know this is a repeat question, but it is frustrating that I can't find an easy Google answer to it.  

How many Monero addresses are possible vs. bitcoin?  Bitcoin has 2^160 possible private keys, right?  How many does Monero have (I would assume more because the Monero addresses I see are much longer).  2^???

There's something like 2^256 private keys (almost all integers are valid), but only 2^160 public addresses.

Edit: well I guess 2^160 more p2sh addresses, so 2^161 total?
legendary

The full keys (spend + view) are 512 bits long. With a deterministic wallet the view key is a hash of the spend key so only the spend key is undetermined -- 256 bits. The short mnemonic versions use a 128 bits seed.

Any of these is sufficiently secure for practical purposes.

Hmm, I can create one of these easily. If only I liked creating graphics...
Activity: 8
Merit: 0

Code:

Code:

Code:
cd bitmonero
make

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I started liquidating and buying xmr about 2 months ago mostly because project is beefy. I understand putting the gui off is a good move because you want the back end super solid before even going there. But its interesting that this would also work as an invitation to old btc money who become interested. People have trouble taking alts seriously in general, but especially if they havent been around long. Some old btc cat checks out monero, grasps the tech, then sees there's not official gui. I think this to him says its still early to hop in. And I wonder if the decrease in priority related to the gui is partially to continue the invitation to hop in at a good price, with obvious rise still lying ahead.

Heh heh...unfortunately it's nothing as clever as that:) We were full steam ahead with the GUI, but after the block 202612 attack we realised that we were doing so without preserving the security of our users. Because we're responsible (in a sense) for ensuring the general security of other people's money we realised we had to take a step back and start really digging into the internals that we had previously thought we'd leave for later. We announced this intention in the 12th Monero Missive, point 6. Subsequent to that we've grown to realise just how rocky those internals were, and we've devoted an inordinate amount of time to documenting, refactoring, replacing, and fixing various bits and pieces.

I'd sorta started learning enough python and extremely-intro cryptography to make sense of some of the tech behind monero. Ive been spending time diving into python and have a nice trader bot going. It is no rockstar but definitely makes me more income than drk MN income as well as my 6x280xs.

If you're interested in the cryptography (and like python) then you may be interested in some of the work the MRL have been doing:

https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNero
https://github.com/ShenNoether/LMDBExplorer

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Hello,

Trying to understand more about the monero source code...
How many hashes does it take to make 1 monero and what determines the hash rate in monero source code?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

The difficulty is determined by next_difficulty located here in the source code: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/src/cryptonote_core/difficulty.cpp

The units of difficulty are hashes, which means at a difficulty of 600 million, you would need to search 600 million hashes on average to solve a block. (This is different from Bitcoin.) Each block has a variable reward but currently it is about 9.25 XMR, so 600 million hashes gets you about 9.25 XMR, or roughly 65 million hashes per XMR.

The actual network hash rate is unmeasurable but it can be approximated by taking the current difficulty and dividing by the target, with is 60 seconds. So at 600 million difficulty the total hash rate of the network would be about 10 million.

For reference GPUs generally hash at about 200-600 hash/sec and CPUs are about 50-60 hash/core/sec given sufficient cache.

Thank you very much for you reply and detailed answer. Would like to understand more about the differences in the cryptonote code and monero code.

When creating the monero genesis block was this achieved the same way as starting bit monero daemon on seed server with the same flags as cryptonote..for example bitmonerod --print-genesis-tx

Then pasting printed hex in configuration file?
src/cryptonote_config.h
Example:
const char GENESIS_COINBASE_TX_HEX[] "he string here";

I'm not sure we know how the genesis block was created. That's something thankful_for_today did, and he was pretty uncommunicative.

We did create the genesis block for the testnet so someone from the project probably knows how that was done (not necessarily the same way as the main net genesis though), but I don't.

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
Over at the /r/Dogecoin AMA about Monero someone wants an explanation of how the technical underpinnings of Cryptonote allow a coin to remain anonymous while also verifying ownership.  He says he's very well versed in cryptocurrency tech, so could I have smooth or one of the other devs/tech experts provide him with a satisfactory explanation? 

I could manage one, but I fear I might not do it justice.   

http://www.reddit.com/r/dogecoin/comments/3fjz29/hello_shibes_im_one_of_the_mods_of_rmonero_ive/ctpftmn
Activity: 478
So i was in drk from about .0013 and mostly was latching on to the fact that the is compatible with btc an offered and obfuscaion that was at least somewhat functional, though slow and obviously not ideal. When i saw some weird confusing changes that seemed to originate from fairly unknown people I was disillusioned, started to realize how much groupthink i was participating in and truths that i actively ignored bc i wanted that $$$.

But from a technological point of view its really is just features users desire right now with scrappy, fast and unreliable code back it up. I knew about xmr before poloniex added and made some good trades, but it was obvious a lot time was left for maturity, but swore to remember it later and not miss out.

I started liquidating and buying xmr about 2 months ago mostly because project is beefy. I understand putting the gui off is a good move because you want the back end super solid before even going there. But its interesting that this would also work as an invitation to old btc money who become interested. People have trouble taking alts seriously in general, but especially if they havent been around long. Some old btc cat checks out monero, grasps the tech, then sees there's not official gui. I think this to him says its still early to hop in. And I wonder if the decrease in priority related to the gui is partially to continue the invitation to hop in at a good price, with obvious rise still lying ahead.

I'd sorta started learning enough python and extremely-intro cryptography to make sense of some of the tech behind monero. Ive been spending time diving into python and have a nice trader bot going. It is no rockstar but definitely makes me more income than drk MN income as well as my 6x280xs.

And then comes along the massive commit from noodledoodle, and moneromoo with the potentially epic rewrite of transaction creation formula. I'm pretty excited and plan on hodlin hard but run a bot to keep my distracted.
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
Hello,

Trying to understand more about the monero source code...
How many hashes does it take to make 1 monero and what determines the hash rate in monero source code?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

The difficulty is determined by next_difficulty located here in the source code: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/src/cryptonote_core/difficulty.cpp

The units of difficulty are hashes, which means at a difficulty of 600 million, you would need to search 600 million hashes on average to solve a block. (This is different from Bitcoin.) Each block has a variable reward but currently it is about 9.25 XMR, so 600 million hashes gets you about 9.25 XMR, or roughly 65 million hashes per XMR.

The actual network hash rate is unmeasurable but it can be approximated by taking the current difficulty and dividing by the target, with is 60 seconds. So at 600 million difficulty the total hash rate of the network would be about 10 million.

For reference GPUs generally hash at about 200-600 hash/sec and CPUs are about 50-60 hash/core/sec given sufficient cache.

Thank you very much for you reply and detailed answer. Would like to understand more about the differences in the cryptonote code and monero code.

When creating the monero genesis block was this achieved the same way as starting bit monero daemon on seed server with the same flags as cryptonote..for example bitmonerod --print-genesis-tx

Then pasting printed hex in configuration file?
src/cryptonote_config.h
Example:
const char GENESIS_COINBASE_TX_HEX[] "he string here";
Jump to: