Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 829. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Isn't a private key way longer than an address?

This is probably wrong, but my though process:
No of bitcoin addresses = X^length

length = 32
x is no of characters. Since you have alphabet + capitals + numbers i would say X = 62.

It has to start with either a 1 or a 3 though, so 2 * 62^31, right?

The reason bitcoin addresses are short is they are hash of an ECC public key. In order to sign a transaction you have to provide with your signature, the full (longer) public key, which is first checked to hash to the address, before being used for verification.

But Monero address aren't directly comparable to Bitcoin addresses in another way. There is an extra step in the handling of stealth addresses that uses the address (public key) to create a new one-time key pair each time it is used. Only the one-time public key goes on the blockchain, not the address itself. That's why it is said that payments are unlinkable: no one can tell by looking at the blockchain the address that was used.

legendary
This was a very helpful graph in understanding bitcoin address basics.  Does anyone know of anything like this for Monero addresses? 

i don't remember seeing one, but maybe I'm just forgetting it. I agree it would be helpful.
Activity: 770
Merit: 504

The full keys (spend + view) are 512 bits long. With a deterministic wallet the view key is a hash of the spend key so only the spend key is undetermined -- 256 bits. The short mnemonic versions use a 128 bits seed.

Any of these is sufficiently secure for practical purposes.

This was a very helpful graph in understanding bitcoin address basics.  Does anyone know of anything like this for Monero addresses? 

legendary
I know this is a repeat question, but it is frustrating that I can't find an easy Google answer to it. 

How many Monero addresses are possible vs. bitcoin?  Bitcoin has 2^160 possible private keys, right?  How many does Monero have (I would assume more because the Monero addresses I see are much longer).  2^???

The full keys (spend + view) are 512 bits long. With a deterministic wallet the view key is a hash of the spend key so only the spend key is undetermined -- 256 bits. The short mnemonic versions use a 128 bits seed.

Any of these is sufficiently secure for practical purposes.

Activity: 283
Merit: 250
Isn't a private key way longer than an address?

This is probably wrong, but my though process:
No of bitcoin addresses = X^length

length = 32
x is no of characters. Since you have alphabet + capitals + numbers i would say X = 62.

It has to start with either a 1 or a 3 though, so 2 * 62^31, right?

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
I know this is a repeat question, but it is frustrating that I can't find an easy Google answer to it. 

How many Monero addresses are possible vs. bitcoin?  Bitcoin has 2^160 possible private keys, right?  How many does Monero have (I would assume more because the Monero addresses I see are much longer).  2^???
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
I'm having difficulty in getting Monero set up on Mint. I'm new to Linux, so this may well be something trivial (I'm hoping it is actually!).

When I enter make I end up with the error:

Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
Compiler: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND
Build flags:
Id flags:

The output was:
No such file or directory

I have already been through this guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Manually-Build-and-Install-GNU-Compiler-Collection-on-Linux-Mint
But instead of mpfr-3.1.2 and gcc-4.8.1 I substituted mpfr-3.1.3 and gcc-4.8.5.
That all went well, but I get the error above.

If I enter "dpkg --list | grep compiler" it appears I do have C and C++ compilers:

ii  g++                                                         4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6                                    amd64        GNU C++ compiler
ii  g++-4.8                                                     4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04                                amd64        GNU C++ compiler
ii  gcc                                                         4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6                                    amd64        GNU C compiler
ii  gcc-4.8                                                     4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04                                amd64        GNU C compiler

Any help would be appreciated.

Dunno if mint has package manager etc, but this works with current head:

Code:
sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev

Code:
git clone https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero.git

Code:
cd bitmonero
make

as provided by arux and documented on our forum:
https://forum.getmonero.org/5/support/142/useful-links-including-blockchain-downloads

as indicated, make and gcc are different, which is why it threw you the error.

good luck!!

Thanks, but unfortunately this doesn't work on Mint. Even a fresh installation of Mint and following the instructions gives the same error. Nobody else using Monero on Mint?
I've compiled Monero successfully on two different Linux Mint 17.1 boxes. These instructions look correct. I'm on a Mac right now, so I can't delve into this deeper at the moment. Just know that it does work. I can try and help later today or tomorrow. Also, the monero IRC channel is usually very helpful.
Activity: 450
I'm having difficulty in getting Monero set up on Mint. I'm new to Linux, so this may well be something trivial (I'm hoping it is actually!).

Compiling the CXX compiler identification source file "CMakeCXXCompilerId.cpp" failed.
Build flags:
Id flags:

The output was:

http://www.wikihow.com/Manually-Build-and-Install-GNU-Compiler-Collection-on-Linux-Mint

If I enter "dpkg --list | grep compiler" it appears I do have C and C++ compilers:

ii  g++                                                         4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6                                    amd64        GNU C++ compiler
ii  g++-4.8                                                     4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04                                amd64        GNU C++ compiler
ii  gcc                                                         4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6                                    amd64        GNU C compiler
ii  gcc-4.8                                                     4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04                                amd64        GNU C compiler

Code:
sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev

Code:

Code:
cd bitmonero
make

https://forum.getmonero.org/5/support/142/useful-links-including-blockchain-downloads

good luck!!

Thanks, but unfortunately this doesn't work on Mint. Even a fresh installation of Mint and following the instructions gives the same error. Nobody else using Monero on Mint?
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Monero looks good for a pump

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Eugh, no.

Just stop buying Monero. It's a currency, not a stock. Buying it and hoping it magically increases in value is a poor investment strategy, pumps-and-dumps doubly so.
Activity: 269
Monero looks good for a pump

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
Activity: 350
Sorry @Dashpay until Zerocoin arrives CryptoNote coins such as @monerocurrency and @BBRcurrency are the best solution available.

Tweet to support XMR and CryptoNote.  I hope you all will support Zerocoin also if/when it is finally delivered.  I am not sure if it will be ANC that delivers Zerocoin. My allegiance is to innovation not brands.

Can we see Zerocoin supporting optionally transparency features like the viewkey? Will coinbase be verifiable so we know a bug won't allow someone to create infinite coins for himself? It's somewhat clear so far with the current math that Zerocoin/cash is a dead end as far as cryptocurrencies are involved. Monero and Boolberry are built over a bundle called cryptonote that doesnt have one or two good feature but its entire great and new in itself, only Bitcoin comes close and because it was the first blockchain not better.
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
Sorry @Dashpay until Zerocoin arrives CryptoNote coins such as @monerocurrency and @BBRcurrency are the best solution available.

Tweet to support XMR and CryptoNote.  I hope you all will support Zerocoin also if/when it is finally delivered.  I am not sure if it will be ANC that delivers Zerocoin. My allegiance is to innovation not brands.
legendary
I was able to sync bytecoin full client with less than 4G of ram, but could not with the monero full client. Is the dev team still active ? How come this has not ported to monero ?

Use the current test version from github. Memory needed is <100M

With the binary from getmonero site, the process was killed shortly as I have 4G with no swap.

I compiled from the master branch, it's now syncing fine.  "top" reports around 1.6G mem usage  not 100M. Or you meant after it's synced only 100m is needed?

It depends how much memory is available. Extra memory will be used for caching but isn't needed. Well under 100 MB is needed, as shown on screen shots posted by fluffypony. Different operating systems vary in how aggressive they are in trimming down the memory use.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
I was able to sync bytecoin full client with less than 4G of ram, but could not with the monero full client. Is the dev team still active ? How come this has not ported to monero ?

With the binary from getmonero site, the process was killed shortly as I have 4G with no swap.

I compiled from the master branch, it's now syncing fine.  "top" reports around 1.6G mem usage  not 100M. Or you meant after it's synced only 100m is needed?

yeah, once its in maintenance mode it'll use lower memory. Basically, LMDB uses memory dynamically... if you only had 2 gigs ram, it would use less during sync. If you had 16 gigs ram, it would use more.
G2M
Activity: 280
Activity: 616
Could you perhaps acknowledge and discuss the rationale behind asking 600 xmr for it?

Apart from the actual work done, it's marketing development, and tbh I look at bitcoinwisdom and see an american market, a chinese market, a european market, a canadian market, and a russian market. I don't see a SAR market, or any other market that would benefit.

I'm not saying this service is not worth the amount you asked, nor am I trying to offend, but will there be value added here in paying that amount for this? Are you aware of legitimate arabic discussion boards or markets that would benefit from the translation?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

I compiled from the master branch, it's now syncing fine.  "top" reports around 1.6G mem usage  not 100M. Or you meant after it's synced only 100m is needed?
Activity: 166
Merit: 100
Just as a reminder, I've placed an offer to do Arabic translation a while back.
https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/339/task-arabic-translations
And I can assure you that the services I'm offering are as good as you will get in this area.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

Build flags:
Id flags:

The output was:

Code:

Code:

Code:
cd bitmonero
make

good luck!!
Activity: 283
Would the onero community be interested in a book on its first year history similar to this book:

http://goo.gl/2DblJ5

Hehe, the last year there has been enough drama to start a series already. Let alone the technicals.

What is the offer here? I guess you could pitch it as an idea and make a proposal on the forum at getmonero.org. Lots of succesful crowdfundings have taken place there the last weeks.
Jump to: