Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 995. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Honestly, don't get me wrong, but I am very surprised that you as a core dev do not educate your users on how Monero works, but actually reinforce silly FUD. Luckily, the math is neutral to everyone.

lol why you no edumacate us fluffypony?

No intend to offend anyone, but I think this whole issue could have been extinguished, not escalated.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Honestly, don't get me wrong, but I am very surprised that you as a core dev do not educate your users on how Monero works, but actually reinforce silly FUD. Luckily, the math is neutral to everyone.

lol why you no edumacate us fluffypony?
Activity: 98
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Regarding Payment ID's (which I personally don't have an issue with), could a feature be added to Monero so that the owner of an address can register that address so that the Monero client will not accept transactions onto the blockchain to those addresses, if they don't include a Payment ID?

No, how will a node know to reject a transaction with no payment ID based on the destination when the destination is seemingly random?

The solution to this problem are the serialised stealth addresses we're busy developing.

Even if it was possible it wouldn't prevent people from using a *wrong* payment ID, anyway.
Activity: 450
Merit: 250
No, how will a node know to reject a transaction with no payment ID based on the destination when the destination is seemingly random?
Don't know

The solution to this problem are the serialised stealth addresses we're busy developing.
Good to know  Grin
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Regarding Payment ID's (which I personally don't have an issue with), could a feature be added to Monero so that the owner of an address can register that address so that the Monero client will not accept transactions onto the blockchain to those addresses, if they don't include a Payment ID?

Activity: 450
Merit: 250
Activity: 94
Cryptonic physical Moneroj are ready for shipment.

Monero coins both pure silver and silver plated are in stock now available for pre-order:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10720416
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
I updated the Monero Link Directory, see http://xmr.biz/links.html!

Changelog
Added
- shapeshift.io
- german community thread
- xmr.to
- cryptoescrow.eu
- forkguard.com
- moneropric.es
- monero github repo
- wolfs CPU miner
- crypto kingdom

Removed
- chainradar.com

Please provide feedback in this thread. If you wish to be added, removed or want information to be updated please write PN.

Thanks for sharing and it's nice to have more block explorers - I didn't know about the others.

IAS
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
I updated the Monero Link Directory, see http://xmr.biz/links.html!

Changelog
Added
- shapeshift.io
- german community thread
- xmr.to
- cryptoescrow.eu
- forkguard.com
- moneropric.es
- monero github repo
- wolfs CPU miner
- crypto kingdom

Removed
- chainradar.com

Please provide feedback in this thread. If you wish to be added, removed or want information to be updated please write PN.
Activity: 500
Merit: 500
MoneroX GUI screenshots:

This GUI is from last century?
Windows 3.1 Grin

MoneroX is entirely written by a 17 year old. What were you doing when you were 17?

Oh, my bad - let me rephrase: what will you have done by the time you turn 17?

And if that isn't to your liking, then maybe the Monero Core GUI is more up your alley. You can even compile the code and play around with the GUI (incomplete and not wired up, but fun to play with) - https://github.com/monero-project/monero-core

Here are some screen shots from this century:

Best of all, the GUI is native (Qt) and NOT a cheap hack using HTML.

i tested it on ubuntu 15.04. compiling is ok if you use qt5
Code:
sudo apt-get install git
git clone https://github.com/monero-project/monero-core.git
cd monero-core/
sudo apt-get install qtbase5-dev qt5-default qtdeclarative5-dev qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel
qmake
make
./monero-core

and you can make your opinion. (mine is done, gui is not for now but it will be great  Smiley, congrats devs)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I have no idea if this has been brought up before, but just as a heads up to people, if someone knows your public address(es) that you are using to mine on cryptonotepool.org.uk

Same with most of the other pools.

Good advice about keeping that address private.

With that being said, might there be a way to allow a miner to clear their pool payout history for a particular public address, *if* they could demonstrate that they own the private key to the address in question? Is there a way to do this with Monero, to, say, have them provably send a small donation from the address that they own to an address owned by the pool, which would then wipe the payout history for that address?

I can't think of an easy way to do this currently, but proof of ownership of a particular public address does seem like something we might want to have.
legendary
Activity: 1762
I have no idea if this has been brought up before, but just as a heads up to people, if someone knows your public address(es) that you are using to mine on cryptonotepool.org.uk, (or, for that matter, any other pool that goes without a username and password) then they can plug your public address into the pool and see how much XMR that you have mined to that address, for the entire history of the pool. This could be a privacy concern if you are wanting to mine XMR completely anonymously.

Obviously, you can just set aside a particular address for mining and not publicize that address anywhere else, or, slightly more tediously, create a new public address every so often; but I just thought that I'd mention it to people.

With that being said, might there be a way to allow a miner to clear their pool payout history for a particular public address, *if* they could demonstrate that they own the private key to the address in question? Is there a way to do this with Monero, to, say, have them provably send a small donation from the address that they own to an address owned by the pool, which would then wipe the payout history for that address?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Can wallets be created that disallow "View Key"-generation?

a) So authorities can't force someone to generate one. (In sense of plausible deniability.)
b) In case of multiple peoople shared wallets someone doesnt leak a view key to authorities/competition.

Not currently. The view key is just half of your private key. You still need it to identify your transactions even if you don't share it. There might be a simple modification that allows it though, for example, if the view key were just the spend key + 1, then you couldn't leak the view key without also leaking the spend key. Obviously this is a half-baked idea, I have no idea if it is viable without looking more closely at the math (or more likely having an actual mathematician do so).

In the case of b) "sharing a wallet" is not really a good idea, since there would be no accountability at all if the coins were spent. A better solution would be some form of multisig. I don't know how view keys would work with that (good question).
legendary
Activity: 1232
Monero Evangelist
Can wallets be created that disallow "View Key"-generation?

a) So authorities can't force someone to generate one. (In sense of plausible deniability.)
b) In case of multiple peoople shared wallets someone doesnt leak a view key to authorities/competition.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Right at this moment I'd say this is a super solid play:

should go post it in their thread with the caption

*cough* just sayin

i wouldn't do it because i don't have the constitution for trolling but it would be funny.

They don't need super Masternodes anymore!
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

-snip gigantic image-

*cough* just sayin

i wouldn't do it because i don't have the constitution for trolling but it would be funny.

That was what I wanted to do first.  But to be honest all the trolling has be kinda of worn out, and I have no hard feelings to the DASH camp.  I think they are at more risk because of today's developments in monero than they realize.

I also think the Monero community is only beginning to wake up to what xmr.to + shapeshift + database means in terms of our utility.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

*cough* just sayin

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
In theory, could my anonymity be compromised by too many other people publishing their view keys?

Well let's assume everybody did. Then you would have a coin where all transactions are traceable (except yours, and yours would be the only ones left so...). That's obviously not the goal here, but if everybody wants that, there's nothing you can do. You can't hide a needle without a haystack.

However, it is indeed not good to encourage too much reliance on view keys. That's why, for example, MRL-0004 has an alternate method for auditing of individual transactions that does not involve the broad brush of a view key.

I know you guys aren't aiming to be alphabet proof but perhaps one day in the future it could be a goal and it is concerning because we might imagine that some mass surveillance agency might be able to put together a rather comprehensive database of view keys.

Once the view key has been seen by someone other than yourself, consider the privacy of that address compromised and migrate funds to a secure (private) address. Better yet, never share a view key except for purpose specific, (single use?) addresses.  Let them watch a vacant house all they want.

Correct. View key is 1/2 of your private key. It makes sense to share this for specific reasons, but not in general.

fortunately it will probably be rare for people to share their view key anyway. i mean if they are in monero they are in monero for a reason.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
I find that reason very agreeable, I'm not at all familiar with OpenBazaar. I guess we can wait until OB matures, and if it doesn't atrides still has opportunity to return the funds. Cheers.
Jump to: