Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 994. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018
Hey Monero Community !!

Can anyone please guide me on how to create a custom Monero burn address, or generally in the Cryptonote protocol?

Will appreciate your kind help.

Create a wallet in a live environment in ram with a super long password (100+ characters) and don't write down it or the seed. Send your coins to the address. Why do you want to burn your coins?

Yeah, I guess I wasn't specific enough.
I'm looking for a way to create a provably unspendable burn address.
Meaning it should be obvious, for example contain a lot of consecutive X's.

keep generating wallets until you get one with a lot of x's.

this vanity address generator exists

https://monerotalk.org/t/vanity-address-generator/134

https://github.com/ehmry/monero-vanity

so you'll essentially publish the viewkey?

The idea is that nobody will have the private key so nobody will have the possibility to spend the funds.

I want to generate an address, to which it's highly improbable anyone will have the private key.

EDIT: Counterparty created such a BTC address back in the days of their launch

Couldn't you still take the same advice I gave but then take whatever address was given and replace the first 10-15 characters with something along the lines of "xxxxxmoneroxxxxx", then again, the viewkey would no longer work so you wouldn't be able to view it anyway. Interesting.
Activity: 341
Merit: 250
Hey Monero Community !!

Can anyone please guide me on how to create a custom Monero burn address, or generally in the Cryptonote protocol?

Create a wallet in a live environment in ram with a super long password (100+ characters) and don't write down it or the seed. Send your coins to the address. Why do you want to burn your coins?

The idea is that nobody will have the private key so nobody will have the possibility to spend the funds.

I want to generate an address, to which it's highly improbable anyone will have the private key.

EDIT: Counterparty created such a BTC address back in the days of their launch
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Hey Monero Community !!

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Monero may be on its way to its first Fiat exchange.

That would be outstanding.

Edit: It would be for the Indonesian Rupiah, but the only pair they offer it with is BTC. Altcoins are only paired with BTC.

You are right, still a important milestone I think.

Yeah, speaking of fiat-supporting exchanges, I remember CCEDK.COM talking about adding Monero, but that still hasn't happened.

Also, bter.com has XMR/BTC, and also used to support USD deposits and USD pairs. However, USD deposits were disabled there back in January.
Hey Monero Community !!

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
My address can be effectively used as a burn address Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018
Hey Monero Community !!

Hey Monero Community !!

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

It's common, but incorrect.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+guy

It's not incorrect.

From Merriam-Webster:
a :  man, fellow
b :  person —used in plural to refer to the members of a group regardless of sex

Or perhaps you prefer Oxford:
noun

1 informal A man:
he’s a nice guy
1.1 (guys) People of either sex:
you guys want some coffee?

Sorry for off-topic, but I'm not a fan of people trying to dictate what language is "correct" to use in a non-technical setting, especially in this context where both of the most well-known/respected dictionaries agree with the asexual usage. Also, sorry, but it's a man's world Tongue

Do what you want, I'm not stopping you. I'm just trying to make aware its cognitive effects.

Dictionaries tend to record popular usage (where did popularism ever leave governed society?) of language but etymologically, a guy is still a man, making guys to refer to anything other than a group of men, etymologically incorrect despite a social norm. You don't refer to a female as a guy. A guy definitively represents a male.

If you're interested in the controversies, subtleties, and implications of continuing this defect of culture, it's a career-long topic of Prof. Hof that he can give rhetoric, general and specific anecdotes, and just enjoyable conversation about, for every reason that I agree. In summary, it propagates a subtle male supremacy of society in a world where women are continually harassed by social norms.

Don't get me wrong, I still slip "guys" incorrectly at times, but I always catch and correct myself now that I know better.

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
I use guys for animals too
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

It's not incorrect.

From Merriam-Webster:
a :  man, fellow
b :  person —used in plural to refer to the members of a group regardless of sex

Or perhaps you prefer Oxford:
noun

1 informal A man:
he’s a nice guy
1.1 (guys) People of either sex:
you guys want some coffee?

Sorry for off-topic, but I'm not a fan of people trying to dictate what language is "correct" to use in a non-technical setting, especially in this context where both of the most well-known/respected dictionaries agree with the asexual usage. Also, sorry, but it's a man's world Tongue
legendary
Well all seems to be good now, though if there's one tiny bit that bothers me, it's the use of referring to a general body of people that is possibly not exclusive to males as "guys" in the above post, which is inherently sexist despite how commonly it slips. Thank Doug Hofstadter for that pet peeve of mine.  

Edit: http://www.alternet.org/story/48856/why_sexist_language_matters
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html

Aren't you a bit picky there? Smiley
I'm not a native speaker but always thought it could be applied to mixed group (men + women) when addressing people in a friendly manner?

Anyway, it's nice to see the chainradar story finishing happily!

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Well all seems to be good now, though if there's one tiny bit that bothers me, it's the use of referring to a general body of people that is possibly not exclusive to males as "guys" in the above post, which is inherently sexist despite how commonly it slips. Thank Doug Hofstadter for that pet peeve of mine.  

Aren't you a bit picky there? Smiley
I'm not a native speaker but always thought it could be applied to mixed group (men + women) when addressing people in a friendly manner?

Anyway, it's nice to see the chainradar story finishing happily!
legendary
Honestly, don't get me wrong, but I am very surprised that you as a core dev do not educate your users on how Monero works, but actually reinforce silly FUD. Luckily, the math is neutral to everyone.

lol why you no edumacate us fluffypony?

No intend to offend anyone, but I think this whole issue could have been extinguished, not escalated.

Not intend to offend you, but YOUR "bug" + Trolls = escalated.  Fluffypony's time to prove the trolls wrong = extinguished.

What I don't know for sure is if you are on the side of the extinguishers or the escalators.

Seriously.

Perhaps folks like Ricardo will be more patient...  but I have signed no contract to be.  Keep digging.

Guys, my bad, sorry. I edited the post so that it's not offensive.
I'm not in the situation, not following the forum recently, so from my perspective there was no need to test anything with ChainRadar, as the answer is pretty clear: it is impossible.

Secondly, I repeat that it is the issue from since the start of the project, and for all currencies, not just Monero.

Well all seems to be good now, though if there's one tiny bit that bothers me, it's the use of referring to a general body of people that is possibly not exclusive to males as "guys" in the above post, which is still inherently sexist despite how commonly it slips. You can thank Doug Hofstadter for that pet peeve of mine.  

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Honestly, don't get me wrong, but I am very surprised that you as a core dev do not educate your users on how Monero works, but actually reinforce silly FUD. Luckily, the math is neutral to everyone.

No intend to offend anyone, but I think this whole issue could have been extinguished, not escalated.

I've made use of chainradar a bit and am glad for its existence. FWIW, thank you for the prompt response, and for your (free?) service to this community and crypto in general.

FWIW, I have also been thankful for it many many times.
legendary

I've made use of chainradar a bit and am glad for its existence. FWIW, thank you for the prompt action, and for your (free?) service to this community and crypto in general.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Not intend to offend you, but YOUR "bug" + Trolls = escalated.  Fluffypony's time to prove the trolls wrong = extinguished.

What I don't know for sure is if you are on the side of the extinguishers or the escalators.

Seriously.

Perhaps folks like Ricardo will be more patient...  but I have signed no contract to be.  Keep digging.

My bad, sorry. I edited the post so that it's not offensive.
I'm not in the situation, not following the forum recently, so from my perspective there was no need to test anything with ChainRadar, as the answer is pretty clear: it is impossible.

Secondly, I repeat that it is the issue from since the start of the project, and for all currencies, not just Monero.
legendary
Whimsical Pants

Seriously.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free

The math is neutral if you only look at that very transaction, you're right. However in the bigger picture (by looking at the entire blockchain), you might determine that all other inputs have been spent with no mixin, therefore revealing the last input that must be the correct one. There is some quite fancy way to infer information probabilistically too, all developed in the latest Monero Research Lab article: https://lab.getmonero.org/pubs/MRL-0004.pdf

So nobody was reinforcing FUD, it was simply thought that apparently chainradar was trying to infer (heuristically) the correct input. Though on the basic math level, again you're right, there's no way to tell, and that was never questionned of course.
legendary
Whimsical Pants

I have always learned to beware of what comes after a opening like: "Honestly, don't get me wrong". Wink  And I don't know what you are getting at here but the post you quote is him doing EXACTLY what you say he is not doing.  As well as the recent interview, missives, website, and general forum presense.

It is the constant onslaught of trolls which distract some of the core team from better things because suddenly a bunch of sheep being led by wolves are chanting "Monero is broken" because in PART of a bug on YOUR site.

So, Honestly, Don't Get Me Wrong, but I don't really see you having a place to criticize people in the community for being steadfast in doing things you claim they are not.

I really hope for your understanding.

For me it will take a little more.  I do NOT understand yet what your real position is here.

But I am watching.
Jump to: