Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation - page 2190. (Read 3312335 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
August 23, 2014, 08:24:01 PM

Do we want to a) call this "trolling / FUD", and b) removed it from the thread?

It is trolling / FUD, Bitcoin is the pseudo-anonymous coin, start removing it now or it'll turn into caos like before
delete his comment too pls, its offtopic.

In other words, you want this thread to be one big group of investors patting each other on the back for investing in the bestest coin ever.

I seriously hope that's not the opinion of the thread starter, and I hope you realize that you're running the risk of causing real damage to the perception of the XMR community if you want to censor critical questions and remarks by "outsiders".

Yes, fuck off if you want to troll with BS, come with facts and data or GTFO.

Nekomata did someone hijack your account?

oda.krell is one of the very few good posters in the btc speculation thread.

I didn't go back and read Wachtwoord's posts but I do remember them as being unreasonable criticisms especially considering the answers he was given.  It was as if he was defending btc which I assume is all he is invested in.  I find it strange if indeed he felt the need to defend btc.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 23, 2014, 08:23:27 PM
The anonymity thing is rather suspect, too.

I don't use Monero, so I will give it the benefit of the doubt on the client capacities.

However, people with names send money to exchanges who require names and emails. They keep records of trades made. And as far as i know, you can't mine it in secret.

So it's not really anonymous, is it?

All altcoin exchange require are an email... no need to put your normal mail there and thats not an issue at all anyway, i also get cash from the ATM with my atm card registered on my name but can still spend the cash where i want.
I think you simply don´t understand the reason why an online currency should be like cash.

Not sure what u mean you can´t mine it in secret, the pool doesn´t see where the coins go to anyway and no one stops you to mine it through tor or whatever proxy...
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
August 23, 2014, 08:22:41 PM
Poloniex was the first big exchange to list monero there. Actually it was third because cryptonotexchange was created for that purpose and traded only XMR and BCN and swaphole (a tiny exchange and with very bad name) listed it a few days before. Thats why. Volume was big and continues to be big. Poloniex tweeted that monero volume helped them pay back some bitcoins that had been stolen from them some months ago...

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
August 23, 2014, 08:21:41 PM
Personally, I'd say that is not trolling or FUD.  I'm not the thread starter, so I don't get a vote.  If I did, I'd say that post in and of itself isn't begging for removal.  Depends on what comes after.  If it starts a little third grade slap fight like we frequently see, it might be worth removing.  

Also worth noting who posts it.  Oda.Krell is one thing--a poster with a loooooong record of adding value to the community., J1mb0 is something else entirely.

Thanks for the kind words.

In the case of the quote I posted, note that user Wachtwoord is an extremely valuable member of the BTC community. His style of posting was abrasive, sure, but he asked absolutely valid questions imo. Deleting such contributions would be a major mistake, and would make sure I personally wouldn't want to post in the thread anymore - chilling effect, and such.

EDIT: I should perhaps clarify, I picked the "anonymous or not" quote not because I wanted to start that particular discussion again, but because I wanted to use it to discuss (through an example) what is legitimate criticism in this thread, and what is trolling/FUD.
Activity: 644
August 23, 2014, 08:15:44 PM
The anonymity thing is rather suspect, too.

I don't use Monero, so I will give it the benefit of the doubt on the client capacities.

However, people with names send money to exchanges who require names and emails. They keep records of trades made. And as far as i know, you can't mine it in secret.

So it's not really anonymous, is it?
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
August 23, 2014, 08:13:47 PM
Personally, I'd say that is not trolling or FUD.  I'm not the thread starter, so I don't get a vote.  If I did, I'd say that post in and of itself isn't begging for removal.  Depends on what comes after.  If it starts a little third grade slap fight like we frequently see, it might be worth removing.  

Also worth noting who posts it.  Oda.Krell is one thing--a poster with a loooooong record of adding value to the community., J1mb0 is something else entirely.
legendary
August 23, 2014, 08:11:39 PM
Yes, fuck off if you want to troll with BS, come with facts and data or GTFO.

You realize you're the one who looks like the false flag troll right now, planted in here to make XMR look bad.
August 23, 2014, 08:10:15 PM
Well this is very much on topic. I would like to know if anyone can answer how Monero replaced LTC at Poloniex as the second trading coin?

I could speculate (like the title of this thread asks me to do), but someone must have an answer.

LTC/Altpairs simply had not volume there, poloniex is a small exchange. LTC is on nearly all big exchanges so there´s no need to trade it on polo.
LTC/Altpairs failed, no one traded it and they simply tried XMR than because it is the coin with the most volume there.

No conspiracy involved there. Simple business decision from Poloniex.

There was a pitiful amount of coins for LTC to trade against. It got stuff like Corgi. So of course, volume would be low.

I don't visit Poloniex anymore, mainly because I am all in LTC (lol) so there is no reason to trade.

Last time I checked, XMR wasn't setting the exchange on fire with its own market.

I understand the idea of adding a coin as well as LTC   ... Cryptsy did it with XPM, a few with Doge and Bittrex with BC (I think).

I can't fathom dumping LTC for a coin with just a few months under its belt that is not even traded on Cryptsy.

My guess is that XMR trades about 80% of its volume on Poloniex. If true, this begs the question why a small(ish) exchange is the one with all the volume?
legendary
August 23, 2014, 08:04:26 PM

It is trolling / FUD, Bitcoin is the pseudo-anonymous coin, start removing it now or it'll turn into caos like before
delete his comment too pls, its offtopic.

In other words, you want this thread to be one big group of investors patting each other on the back for investing in the bestest coin ever.

I seriously hope that's not the opinion of the thread starter, and I hope you realize that you're running the risk of causing real damage to the perception of the XMR community if you want to censor critical questions and remarks by "outsiders".
legendary
August 23, 2014, 07:57:30 PM
Self-moderated thread for discussion of Monero trading and price speculation.

Off topic posts will be removed.

Discussion of what is on-topic or off-topic is on-topic especially at the start. I will consider such input and make a final decision on such suggestions, and that will edited into the OP.

Thanks for opening a new speculation thread. I'm not a huge fan of self moderated threads, as they tend to invite abuse of power of the thread starter in my experience. That said, not wanting to give in to FUD posts/trolling is a valid reason for self moderation, so I'm not outright going to bash the attempt.

To get started, in addition to discussing what is "off topic" in this thread, I'd also like to see some clarification what constitutes "FUD / trolling"...

Just went through the last 10 or so pages of the old speculation thread, that was supposedly so infested by trolling and FUD, and couldn't find a single post that qualifies in my opinion. Guess they could have been mod-removed (via report), but that'd just be further evidence that self-moderation isn't really necessary to get rid of trolls.

What about Wachtwoord's posts? They provoked a pretty strong negative reaction by some, e.g.

But Monero is not truly anonymous, merely pseudo-anonymous. Doesn't that bother you?

Activity: 532
August 23, 2014, 07:33:42 PM
Well this is very much on topic. I would like to know if anyone can answer how Monero replaced LTC at Poloniex as the second trading coin?

I could speculate (like the title of this thread asks me to do), but someone must have an answer.

LTC/Altpairs simply had not volume there, poloniex is a small exchange. LTC is on nearly all big exchanges so there´s no need to trade it on polo.
LTC/Altpairs failed, no one traded it and they simply tried XMR than because it is the coin with the most volume there.

No conspiracy involved there. Simple business decision from Poloniex.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
August 23, 2014, 07:32:10 PM
The most simple explanation for XMR replacing LTC on Poloniex: Trading volume of LTC and XMR on Poloniex
August 23, 2014, 07:18:43 PM

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 23, 2014, 05:49:44 PM
Thx for this thread :-) please, keep fud away :-)

I will not be filtering negative opinions unless they are stupid (no meaningful analysis given e.g. "Monero Sucks"), repetitive, off topic (e.g. promoting some other coin), or offensive/abusive. I'm open to other suggestions on charter.
legendary
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
August 23, 2014, 05:46:06 PM
Thx for this thread :-) please, keep fud away :-)
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 23, 2014, 04:04:41 PM
On June 24 the block reward was 16 and today it is ~14.6 which is a 9% decrease in 2 months.  

At what point will the decreasing emissions have a significant effect on price?  
9% seems significant to me but I consider demand side paramount to any coin. Without demand it goes to zero regardless of emission.
Well it's not that significant even though the time frame is small. I'll probably wait till the block reward is under 10 coins. I've watched the market closely the past few weeks. It did have problems like most coins did, when that horrible week took place. Although it did recover quite nicely and I'm sure that we should be seeing slow growth. I just wonder how far would the next "crypto rally" take it.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 23, 2014, 03:56:15 PM
Just noticed XMR hit #11 on the coinmarketcap.com capitalization rank.  It had mostly been 12-14 over the last few weeks.

If you get rid of the non-minable coins with basically arbitrary number of coins outstanding (Ripple, etc.) it jumps to #7.  Click currencies then choose "Filter non-mineable"

Activity: 364
August 23, 2014, 03:48:55 PM
Just noticed XMR hit #11 on the coinmarketcap.com capitalization rank.  It had mostly been 12-14 over the last few weeks.
Activity: 248
August 23, 2014, 12:47:40 PM
Corrected graph per rpietila catch.

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
August 23, 2014, 12:13:38 PM
If you can estimate the adoption rate then it would simply be the point in time at which adoption and emission curves intersect. Pretty sure Rpitila has all the numbers to do this if he hasn't done so already. I would ballpark it at around Dec-Feb.

I think the demand has already outstripped supply, or is about to do so any week from now.

BUT, because the beginning (from day 1 (and especially the exchange launch), until the point where demand is larger than emission) was bridged by speculators who bought the coin in anticipation of the demand starting, and by so doing kept the price rather high, it is not immediately obvious when the adoption overtakes emission. My calculation is that XMR is not loved by speculators currently, and even many who like the coin are temporarily out, waiting for the price to come down. This would mean rocket fuel at the point when it is clear to everybody that the 250-450 trading range is permanently behind us.

But then again - I maybe the person who thinks about these the most, but it does not mean I am right... Wink
Jump to: