Pages:
Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation - page 4. (Read 3312350 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643
January 05, 2023, 12:17:17 PM
Well thanks to John Foss' newsletter here is the tech info for Seraphis:

https://gist.github.com/UkoeHB/f508a6ad973fbf85195403057e87449e

And for Jamtis... the new addressing scheme:

https://gist.github.com/tevador/50160d160d24cfc6c52ae02eb3d17024

These are mammoth consensus changes in my opinion.  Monero has always had a somewhat progressive approach to consensus level changes.

I am not technical enough to know what the risks are (and I am pretty technical).  But I can see well enough that this stuff is going to introduce a lot of possibility of risk.

I am not trying to FUD by any means.. and the Monero community has ALWAYS had an environment welcoming dubious opinion.  So I am stating a firsh blush opinion that I hope the right amount of caution is being taken in introducing these changes.

I think it would be naive to assume that there are not powerful, smart, actors that would love to change monero in a way that would cause it to have a chink in it's armor. 

How do we know that consensus changes of this level are not exactly that?

Here's something I wondering about...  First just to let you guys know, I haven't been reading a whole lot of info about XMR in Reddit and Twitter for more around 4 years now, my Twitter account is now exclusively following some guys doing MMA prediction stuff and I've unfollowed everybody in crypto. 

The only guy I tag or ping in crypto is Fluffy and that's just in tweets that are related to helping dogs.

Anyway, the thing I'm wondering about is if Fluffy supports the changes or not... 

Is he saying anything right now, I wonder..?

I feel the same as cAPSLOCK, I haven't seen a proper conversation over what the changes will mean and who exactly thinks what.  Fluffy's thoughts would be welcome but I understand why he is not around to say his piece.   

Back in the day there was a lot of chatter and devs would drop by - I always felt pretty reassured.  Now it's just 'fingers crossed' it will be OK.   Price is looking sweet enough, XMR is easily outdoing the likes of LTC and other coins with a decent rep and respected history.  We just have to hope we're being looked after by safe hands.

Happy New Year to everyone, let's hope it's a good one for Monero.
Activity: 124
Merit: 117
December 28, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
THE MONERO MOON (ISSUE 59) is out now to keep you old-timers at Bitcointalk entertained while you sip your Barolo :-)

https://www.themoneromoon.com/p/the-monero-moon-issue-59
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
December 27, 2022, 07:10:00 PM
To believe that highly technical consensus changes (even if they're not large) don't have an exploit, you'd have to have confidence in a LOT of public scrutiny IN PRACTICE. Just being open source is not enough. Remember the heartbleed bug that was introduced in 2012 to openssl but not widely recognized as a devastating exploit until 2014.

I don't know if Monero is making the right tradeoffs in terms of upgrades, the pace they are made, and the balance between effort into researching and implementing changes (interesting and high payoff!) and review (often boring and no payoff!). You have to consider that the old protocol or implementation may not be that great either, indeed it may even have deliberate exploits (I don't know of any, apart from all of the public limited ring size issues) and the situation would improve by replacing it.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1403
Life, Love and Laughter...
December 27, 2022, 11:30:24 AM

These are mammoth consensus changes in my opinion.  Monero has always had a somewhat progressive approach to consensus level changes.

I am not technical enough to know what the risks are (and I am pretty technical).  But I can see well enough that this stuff is going to introduce a lot of possibility of risk.

I am not trying to FUD by any means.. and the Monero community has ALWAYS had an environment welcoming dubious opinion.  So I am stating a firsh blush opinion that I hope the right amount of caution is being taken in introducing these changes.

I think it would be naive to assume that there are not powerful, smart, actors that would love to change monero in a way that would cause it to have a chink in it's armor. 

Here's something I wondering about...  First just to let you guys know, I haven't been reading a whole lot of info about XMR in Reddit and Twitter for more around 4 years now, my Twitter account is now exclusively following some guys doing MMA prediction stuff and I've unfollowed everybody in crypto. 

The only guy I tag or ping in crypto is Fluffy and that's just in tweets that are related to helping dogs.

Anyway, the thing I'm wondering about is if Fluffy supports the changes or not... 
legendary
Activity: 861
Merit: 1010
December 26, 2022, 05:58:41 PM

We don't.

The only guarantee against that is setting the protocol in stone. Developpers control every blockchain protocols that is not set in stones. All the talks about "decentralization" and "community" is BS, developpers always have the power.

Only BSV follows the path of decentralization, ie. setting the protocol in stone.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127
Whimsical Pants
December 22, 2022, 03:10:13 PM

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1403
Life, Love and Laughter...
December 20, 2022, 10:27:03 AM
This upcoming fork (not sure when it is) I need to read up on it.  It worries me somewhat really.  Seems like a big one.  But I need to learn about Seraphis etc.

I haven't been able to find a decent digestible explanation of the changes, only marketing pie in the sky bullshit about how its gonna be better than sliced bread.

Has me concerned to the point I may dig up my cold wallets and cash out before the fork.

The videos on it are of such poor quality they are undecipherable.

If you find good material share. Cheesy

Please post info itt.  I'm not really that active in Reddit and CT anymore.  Got jaded when Fluffy got arrested.  I'm not one to judge and I'm not really sure who's telling the truth anymore.  I think he could still be one of the good guys but a part of me says never to trust anybody in the space.  You just never know.

Anyway as for the XMR/BTC chart, I'm surprised it looks good in the weekly.  If it breaks out the green bar and it flips into support, that would be nice.

December 20, 2022, 03:44:28 AM
THE MONERO MOON NEWSLETTER IS BACK!

It includes a big trading/chart section for everyone here to have a look at, as well as all the usual developments and news, and memes.

https://www.themoneromoon.com/p/the-monero-moon-issue-58

legendary
Activity: 861
Merit: 1010
December 12, 2022, 07:02:28 PM
Monero has been cup and handles all the way down.

Sadly most of them have not resolved the way we would want them to.

But we are seeing yet another breakout attempt on the longest of frames on USD/XMR.

I literally never even consider TA in /usd terms.

Just sayin....

Are you guys doing this?

I have been... for 7+ years.  

Been remiss as of late, just cold hold mostly for years.
I do spark up a node for forks though.

This upcoming fork (not sure when it is) I need to read up on it.  It worries me somewhat really.  Seems like a big one.  But I need to learn about Seraphis etc.
It is not upcoming. It is likely to be >18 months away.
legendary
Activity: 3780
Merit: 4842
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
December 11, 2022, 06:33:56 PM
This upcoming fork (not sure when it is) I need to read up on it.  It worries me somewhat really.  Seems like a big one.  But I need to learn about Seraphis etc.

I haven't been able to find a decent digestible explanation of the changes, only marketing pie in the sky bullshit about how its gonna be better than sliced bread.

Has me concerned to the point I may dig up my cold wallets and cash out before the fork.

The videos on it are of such poor quality they are undecipherable.

If you find good material share. Cheesy
legendary
Whimsical Pants
December 11, 2022, 06:15:05 PM

But we are seeing yet another breakout attempt on the longest of frames on USD/XMR.

Just sayin....

Are you guys doing this?

This upcoming fork (not sure when it is) I need to read up on it.  It worries me somewhat really.  Seems like a big one.  But I need to learn about Seraphis etc.
legendary
December 11, 2022, 01:11:59 AM

Just sayin....

Are you guys doing this?

legendary
Whimsical Pants
December 09, 2022, 11:16:18 PM
Just sayin....

Are you guys doing this?

legendary
Whimsical Pants
December 08, 2022, 10:15:50 PM

legendary
November 10, 2022, 01:03:41 AM
Not too stable lately! yikes. Buying opportunity, yet? I think I want to try buying with cash by mail on localmonero.co Small potatoes.

You don't like the price, wait a minute. Smiley
Activity: 176
Merit: 108
November 09, 2022, 07:29:19 PM
Not too stable lately! yikes. Buying opportunity, yet? I think I want to try buying with cash by mail on localmonero.co Small potatoes.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1102
November 02, 2022, 12:47:06 PM

I miss you guys' thoughts!

Monero is boring ATM, thinks its a stable coin. Smiley

BTC too  Roll Eyes Undecided Cry
legendary
November 02, 2022, 01:32:32 AM