Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 26. (Read 397588 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003
Still wild and free
Because BTC is a lightning rod that attract all sort of attention and attacks? Because BTC is less than 5 years old and 5 years is not much in IT world? Because BTC gives too much advantage to early adopters so the "haves" are bound to be overwhelmed politically by the "have-nots"?
Altcoins are no different. They are just more vulnerable.

Altcoins are not one coin. They collectively are a continuum entity that is diverse and difficult to kill. Bitcoin is now the cathedral. The altcoins the barzar.

Or they are the small-scale cathedrals made of shity shiny plastic that some random guys try to sell you in front of real cathedrals. You decide to buy one and leave it happily on top of your fireplace, but its value only comes from the existence of the real cathedral.  Smiley
Activity: 516
Merit: 500
CAT.EX Exchange
Because BTC is a lightning rod that attract all sort of attention and attacks? Because BTC is less than 5 years old and 5 years is not much in IT world? Because BTC gives too much advantage to early adopters so the "haves" are bound to be overwhelmed politically by the "have-nots"?
Altcoins are no different. They are just more vulnerable.

Altcoins are not one coin. They collectively are a continuum entity that is diverse and difficult to kill. Bitcoin is now the cathedral. The altcoins the barzar.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
So - how are all the amazon and vps user doing? Still profitable?

I recently tried the Azure free trial ($200 worth) and got a measly 50 XPM out of it.

cant help but wonder if this 50 xpm is going to be like 50 BTC one day.....
Not happening.

However, what is possible is that BTC rises even further, and XPM rises to what BTC is now. Tongue
Activity: 516
CAT.EX Exchange

Right. For example when BTC is a half dollar a piece. Price of anything goes both ways.

Just out of curiosity: Why would any altcoin be anything close to worth as BTC? Why would anyone use altcoin (XPM) for transactions rather than:
- tested,
- scalable,
- 51% attack resistant,
BTC?

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076
^ Will code for Bitcoins

Just out of curiosity: Why would any altcoin be anything close to worth as BTC? Why would anyone use altcoin (XPM) for transactions rather than:
- tested,
- scalable,
- 51% attack resistant,
BTC?
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076
^ Will code for Bitcoins
If/when the GPU miner is released openly then I'll probably run it on a few systems.

It has been released, compiled version and the source are everywhere, you have a link in that thread. Problem is that code needs decent opensource treatment, it was obviously only tested on developer's machine and nowhere else. No wonder it breaks running after few seconds on many machines.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022

I recently tried the Azure free trial ($200 worth) and got a measly 50 XPM out of it.

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

Activity: 182
After the gpu miner apparent failure, it seems that difficulty is kinda stagnated.

Code:
"blocks" : 147833, "difficulty" : 9.85310471,
"blocks" : 147834, "difficulty" : 9.85307074,
"blocks" : 147837, "difficulty" : 9.85310775,
"blocks" : 147838, "difficulty" : 9.85310000,
"blocks" : 147839, "difficulty" : 9.85312480,
"blocks" : 147841, "difficulty" : 9.85307729,
"blocks" : 147843, "difficulty" : 9.85294372,

Even getting lower.

Yeah it has been struggling to approach 10.00 for days, I think it will take maybe a week or more to reach it even if it raised continuously from now on.

As was explained in a recent blog piece, diff adjusts relatively slowly so it'll take days or weeks to see the effects of GPU mining.

I note that the main thread(s) discussing the GPU miner have degenerated in a shit storm, because apparently the GPU miner doesn't perform to the arbitrary expectations of the donors. I say tuff titties. I recall calling that, weeks ago. The creator even freely admitted that the performance would be hard to determine (this was before most people had donated).

I will be continuing to mine on CPU for now. If/when the GPU miner is released openly then I'll probably run it on a few systems. But I continue to look forward to mikaelh's releases.

mikaelh = the man
mtrlt = not so much
Activity: 546
After the gpu miner apparent failure, it seems that difficulty is kinda stagnated.

Code:

Even getting lower.

Yeah it has been struggling to approach 10.00 for days, I think it will take maybe a week or more to reach it even if it raised continuously from now on.

As was explained in a recent blog piece, diff adjusts relatively slowly so it'll take days or weeks to see the effects of GPU mining.

I note that the main thread(s) discussing the GPU miner have degenerated in a shit storm, because apparently the GPU miner doesn't perform to the arbitrary expectations of the donors. I say tuff titties. I recall calling that, weeks ago. The creator even freely admitted that the performance would be hard to determine (this was before most people had donated).

I will be continuing to mine on CPU for now. If/when the GPU miner is released openly then I'll probably run it on a few systems. But I continue to look forward to mikaelh's releases.
Activity: 637

Code:

Even getting lower.
Activity: 546

Not likely at current exchange rates and difficulty..
Sy
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003
Bounty Detective
The Linux versions seem to be more stable.

+1 don't know why people even bother with windows when it comes to rack mounted servers.  Shows a true level of ignorance of what a server actually does.  "oh well i use windows on my desktop, so i better use windows on my server". lol.

We are running Windows Server 2008 R2 because we need to run some legacy Windows Server applications. There is a large amount of software that is windows-only. If it were up to me, I would have chosen linux. Tongue

Anyways. That was a one-off bug. Right after writing the post, client synced fully, and I am now mining properly.
Activity: 210

+1 don't know why people even bother with windows when it comes to rack mounted servers.  Shows a true level of ignorance of what a server actually does.  "oh well i use windows on my desktop, so i better use windows on my server". lol.
I think their may be a place for a Windows server for certain applications such as web hosting.  But I agree, Linux is usually superior
Activity: 363

Activity: 210
Well, I've had a primecoin client running on my personally-owned rackserver that I have in a datacenter(In washington), and it's been a proper 24 hours now. The client hasn't synchronized. It's Win Server 08R2, as well as a precompiled build.

Do I need to manually add some peers, or something? Although I also noticed that it was giving that error that everyone else here reports. So I restarted it and it seems to be doing better now. (few hours to sync)

Also, I port forwarded the port 9911 for PrimeCoin. Is there anything else I can do to make my client be of more use to the network? I heard something about super nodes but I'm not sure how that works.

Cheers.
Well, I've had a primecoin client running on my personally-owned rackserver that I have in a datacenter(In washington), and it's been a proper 24 hours now. The client hasn't synchronized. It's Win Server 08R2, as well as a precompiled build.

Do I need to manually add some peers, or something? Although I also noticed that it was giving that error that everyone else here reports. So I restarted it and it seems to be doing better now. (few hours to sync)

Also, I port forwarded the port 9911 for PrimeCoin. Is there anything else I can do to make my client be of more use to the network? I heard something about super nodes but I'm not sure how that works.

Cheers.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
hp10 ubuntu x64 build has the following error everyday. Anybody has the same problem?

primecoind: checkqueue.h:171: CCheckQueueControl::CCheckQueueControl(CCheckQueue*) [with T = CScriptCheck]: Assertion `pqueue->nTotal == pqueue->nIdle' failed.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit and haven't seen this yet.
Activity: 301
So the probability is about 0.0992. The estimated probability is also around 0.1 which matches with the stats. The theoretical probability goes down slightly for the subsequent numbers in a chain.

That all makes sense. But I do see one weird thing.. even after 10 hours, the probability of finding the 5th prime in a chain remains abnormally low. For now I'll assume it is a bug in my code.. but it is weird.

chains 1 to 10:
Code:
0.094342  0.094123  0.093681  0.093306  0.055778  0.079268  0.15385  0  -1.#IND  -1.#IND

the code that generates this is around line 650 here:
https://github.com/rsweny/primecoin/blob/master/src/prime.cpp

I suspect there are thread issues with this but I'm not sure why it would only skew the 5's.

I'm guessing you're seeing the effect of BiTwin chains in your fifth bin. The test for the tenth prime in a BiTwin will succeed with a much lower probability. The tenth prime of a BiTwin chain corresponds to the fifth prime of a 2CC chain. And that's why you are seeing a lower rate of primes in the fifth bin.
Pages:
Jump to: