Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 37. (Read 397616 times)

Activity: 363
Merit: 250
umm its android.  presumably you need something with either linux or windows OS.

hahaha....really?Huh android is linux dude.
Activity: 476
Anyone been tweaking the roundsievepercentage value ?
I seem to get a +10% increase in CPD with 75 instead of 70 with minimal impact on pps. That is on my core i7, doesn't work that good on my vps.

Still wondering what the best sievesize is too, we know it's cache dependent but are there any rule of thumb to apply on a known cache size ?

Trying to get the best of my few miners still running, mining is really harder now than it was at the beginning of the month...
Activity: 820
Merit: 1000
umm its android.  presumably you need something with either linux or windows OS.
Activity: 363
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
How about the power consumption (measured at the wall in full charge) for those dual xeon servers (the 2 kinds mentionned earlier)?
Think about the noise ! Servers are noisy (and will also generate heat), you don't want to sleep close to them.
Activity: 812
That's rather good...my i7 3820 does 1.2ch/day.
I'll see if I can muster enough $ for a few servers...they can always be used for something else too.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Yeah I have been buying hardware instead of using VPS. Servers are really cheap bought a xw9400 modded to accept Dual Istanbuls and have them overclocked 12 cores at 2.0GHz doing 1.55 chains per day

Yep I have been doing this with desktops, because they're quieter and often more efficient. That being said I have a quater of a tonne of servers sitting next to me..

Still the difficulty is stable the last few days.
Activity: 479
Yeah I have been buying hardware instead of using VPS. Servers are really cheap bought a xw9400 modded to accept Dual Istanbuls and have them overclocked 12 cores at 2.0GHz doing 1.55 chains per day
I think I'm gonna jump on those used dual xeon servers too...Tamis, they are quite good, I know a guy who has one.
Expect a bit better performance vs your 3770k.
Not half bad for 300usd at ebay.

Not bad indeed, but I live in France so the shipping is a killer :/

My 3770k just found two blocks in 7 hours Smiley  To think what I was getting on ypool when I tried it for a few (lost) hours... just dust on this pool !

Yeah, I live in Argentina, remember?
I'd only get one if a friend I got in Texas shipped it to me for less...using UPS is stupid when USPS is abysmally cheaper and just as good.
I think I'm gonna jump on those used dual xeon servers too...Tamis, they are quite good, I know a guy who has one.

Not bad indeed, but I live in France so the shipping is a killer :/

My 3770k just found two blocks in 7 hours Smiley  To think what I was getting on ypool when I tried it for a few (lost) hours... just dust on this pool !
Thanks man! Yeah, found a seller...399 is quite sweet for those dual hexa core rigs.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I not use any kind of messenger beware of scammers
If you are going the used/ebay route, At $300 for those I would expect the newly off lease HP G180 G6 dual L5639 servers @399  to be a better buy (12C/24T 1 gen newer, lower power etc)

Edit Looked: 300 is high, the dual 5420s should be under $200  (i.e. a bunch of SE1101's for 150). That is a good price if you have a spot for them
Activity: 168
Thank you for your answer you two !

Did you notice any difference between the already compiled primecoind and the one compiled on the server ?
Some vps I have only have 256mb of ram and swap so I can't compile on them so I use the already compiled one and did not notice any difference in performance.

Why compile on an openvz ? You will get suspended for unfair cpu usage on those !

Usually compiled locally gives better results if you include compile flags like "-mtune=native -march=native" so the binary is tailored to your hardware.

The reason it's difficult to compile on OpenVZ is because you cannot use swapon to use a swapfile, you're forced to use only the memory you have available.  You can compile with certain memory restrictions, but it makes the compile literally take over 20 times as long.  It ends up triggering a garbage collection at almost every step of the process and limits how much working space it's allowed.  The compiled binary will work perfectly fine, but the compile time goes through the roof.

Also, I don't think the virtualization platform matters as much for account suspension as much as the network administration does.  Some virtualizations may have more/less support for load monitoring, but it eventually all comes down to whoever is running the show.
Thank you for your answer you two !

Did you notice any difference between the already compiled primecoind and the one compiled on the server ?
Some vps I have only have 256mb of ram and swap so I can't compile on them so I use the already compiled one and did not notice any difference in performance.

Why compile on an openvz ? You will get suspended for unfair cpu usage on those !
Activity: 168

As a rule of thumb what is the ram requirement per core ?

The most that the Primecoin-Qt process uses with 8 cores on any of the machines I'm running is 112 MB.

Running it is cake.  Compiling it will require at least 1 GB of memory (RAM/Swap).
You can compile it with less (for example, on an OpenVZ VPS), but it'll take forever.
Activity: 364
I remember people having performance problems on machines with a lot of cores.
I'm tempted to get a Dual Intel Xeon L5420, that represents 8 dedicated and 16 virtual cores.

Would I have performance problems with this setup ?
I've not had problems, currently getting about 1 block per day.

Thanks Stinky !

As a rule of thumb what is the ram requirement per core ?

The most that the Primecoin-Qt process uses with 8 cores on any of the machines I'm running is 112 MB.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Dual Intel Xeon
Activity: 105
Merit: 10
I remember people having performance problems on machines with a lot of cores.
I'm tempted to get a Dual Intel Xeon L5420, that represents 8 dedicated and 16 virtual cores.

Would I have performance problems with this setup ?

I mined primecoin for a while on the L5420. It mines perfectly fine. Was slightly faster than my friend's Sandy Bridge Core i5. It's great considering rack servers with the L5420 cost less than 150 USD total.

Where do you buy a rack server with a Xeon L5420 for $150? Used one on ebay? How's the power consumption at the wall?

I've not had problems, currently getting about 1 block per day.

1 block per day with a single L5420? Somehow I doubt that because I was getting 1 block every few days a couple weeks back, using an E5-1650.
Pages:
Jump to: