Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 40. (Read 397616 times)

Activity: 363
Merit: 250
Couldn't you do double spends though?
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1077
^ Will code for Bitcoins
They could launch a 51% attack and  didn't ? Hard to believe.
What would the incentive be to launch a 51% attack?? 

Is there something i am missing?  Is there a way to profit from such an attack more so then just mining the coin directly?

You are not missing anything, you are right - there is no reason to launch 51% attack except to destroy the coin, Satoshi Nakamoto proved it in bitcoin paper.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000
They could launch a 51% attack and  didn't ? Hard to believe.

What would the incentive be to launch a 51% attack?? 

Is there something i am missing?  Is there a way to profit from such an attack more so then just mining the coin directly?

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
I have mined on a variety of AMD and Intel CPU now and in conclusion the way to 'tune' your CPU is to buy a faster one. The only way you could have 'detuned' your CPU is if you installed a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU or if its reducing its own clocks because it is detecting that its temperatures have reached a thermal protection threshold. I have a laptop that will do this (i5) and it will never go its highest multiplier. It just adjusts itself to be around 80 deg C. The maximum Tcase temperature according to intel is 105 deg C though.

The reason I was asking is that several people have said they are getting .8-1.0 chains using AMD processors. The FX 8150 scores fairly well on cpubenchmark.net with a 7755:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

It seems like mine is under performing.

Crendore did a great job of illustrating the spike I was talking about. HP9 with the current miners seems to have maxed itself out at around 9.75 then there was a sudden change in the slope with a relatively quick clime to 9.77. Not a big change numerically but I get the feeling it takes a lot of computing horsepower to change things that much at this difficulty. When I turned off my servers last week it barely registered on the difficulty. I was running around 90 chains/day with them.

A change of 2% over the integer 9 difficulty is barely worth mentioning. I find it hard to believe you can really consider it a significant change.

Turning your servers off is an entirely anecdotal example. Also as it is unlikely you have access to such hardware for free, I am going to assume you splurged on VPS for a few days at most. In the other thread they are discussing VPS hosting for $5-20/month for 1 chain/day being 'reasonable' so having 90 seems a bit extraordinary.

There are thousands and thousands of VPS servers running primecoin right now. Why? They take nil effort to set up. All considerations of running them are moved off site and lumped into a simple daily/weekly/monthly fee. People will take advantage of any such situation even if the profit margins are small. Then you have the casual people mining on their gaming rigs at home on i5's and i7's etc. Your servers are just some of thousands of the thousands of CPUs mining so its not surprising there was no change in difficulty.

Five weeks ago one person such as yourself may have been significant on the network, when the difficulty was <9.00, but now primecoin is well known amongst altcoin miners. The secret is out. I would think over 250 pages on this forum alone related to primecoin topics would've indicated that clearly. This coin remains highly profitable to anyone with enough good CPUs available or who can spend some time working out the best options for VPS servers. Although I was never heavily invested in mining any other types of coins, and I do have some GPU and ASIC, they remain pathetic compared to the profits seen from primecoin. I feel like primecoin is a profit void, waiting to be filled. I think it has a long way to go yet.

---

mcxnow trollbox GPU miner story? Seriously?  Roll Eyes
Activity: 321
[...]
My last reward was 10.48 and my block 123751 hash agrees with yours

ty for confirming that. I don't wanna get zaxed Smiley
Activity: 516
CAT.EX Exchange
Just read in mcxnow chat that someone has a working GPU miner they coded themselves.  They claim to have earned nearly 300,000 XPM with their 25 x 7950s.  And they also claim to have sold 150,000 of that over the past few days, which would explain the dip in price recently.

At 10.6XPM per block and 1440 blocks a day on average, they must have mined 70% of all new XPMs since July 22, two weeks after Primecoin was released, leaving the rest to ypool. They could launch a 51% attack and  didn't ? Hard to believe.
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
I have mined on a variety of AMD and Intel CPU now and in conclusion the way to 'tune' your CPU is to buy a faster one. The only way you could have 'detuned' your CPU is if you installed a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU or if its reducing its own clocks because it is detecting that its temperatures have reached a thermal protection threshold. I have a laptop that will do this (i5) and it will never go its highest multiplier. It just adjusts itself to be around 80 deg C. The maximum Tcase temperature according to intel is 105 deg C though.

The reason I was asking is that several people have said they are getting .8-1.0 chains using AMD processors. The FX 8150 scores fairly well on cpubenchmark.net with a 7755:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

It seems like mine is under performing.

Crendore did a great job of illustrating the spike I was talking about. HP9 with the current miners seems to have maxed itself out at around 9.75 then there was a sudden change in the slope with a relatively quick clime to 9.77. Not a big change numerically but I get the feeling it takes a lot of computing horsepower to change things that much at this difficulty. When I turned off my servers last week it barely registered on the difficulty. I was running around 90 chains/day with them.
If it was true there would be no reason for him to say it, especially now.

Believing anything you read in the troll box Roll Eyes

To be fair the mcxnow chat is far less retarded than the btc-e chat.
Activity: 392
Just read in mcxnow chat that someone has a working GPU miner they coded themselves.  They claim to have earned nearly 300,000 XPM with their 25 x 7950s.  And they also claim to have sold 150,000 of that over the past few days, which would explain the dip in price recently.

Yes it's WEF.
He supposedly had a gpu miner 2 weeks after the launch of the coin. He said he has sold 150K over the past 3 weeks.
There is no proof, it's only his claims.
Activity: 473

Isn't it still 10.47 or so?

The last block reward I got was 10.47. With the current difficulty of 9.76620036 (block 123751) one should get 10.47 XPM reward. But maybe I'm on a wrong chain - with all my miners... Wink
Btw blockhash for "my" block 123751 is 103c5b2d0c5b3fd3531b662d17460e4b5832f56af74003b981c24be1d86d56b8
Is that the same for anyone else?

My last reward was 10.48 and my block 123751 hash agrees with yours
Activity: 532
If you consider for that for 4 days difficulty hovered arouns 9.75 and is now approaching 9.77 it can be considered a spike.  Unlike BTC where you are going 50mil... 50mil... 50mil... 50mil... 67MIL!!!, this is constantly changing.  Since the schema of this coin is slow to react, a rise like this is very indicative of a spike in mining.  I could be wrong, but I could swear I remember Sunny saying something that made me think this is almost but not quite a logarithmic progression.
I am not making his argument, but i see what he is talking about. see my crudely drawn best fit line.
Hmm the difficulty has been rising pretty sharply for the last 20 hours or so:

http://192.241.170.170/

The site is slow to load sorry, I have not had the time to do ajax data loading. It is updated every 10 mins however.

Any speculations on what might be going on?

I could also still use some advice on how to tune my FX 8150 too Wink I've tried using -O3 and -march=native but am still only getting 0.45 chains Sad

I am not sure what you are on about, your chart indicates that over roughly the last 7 days difficulty has risen by ~0.03 difficulty. This agrees with what I have been seeing on my miners this last week with getmininginfo.

If you zoom in more you can see the blip he is talking about.

All I see is the occasional aberration where there is a sharp fall and rise. This is probably only a few data points (minutes) due to the way the network diff adjusts itself or some other insignificant anomaly.

I do not see any sharp rises, in fact if you keep an eye on the diff axis as you continuously zoom out you can see that diff is now rising slower within the last 24 hours than it has been during the last days.

The site is slow to load sorry, I have not had the time to do ajax data loading. It is updated every 10 mins however.

I could also still use some advice on how to tune my FX 8150 too Wink I've tried using -O3 and -march=native but am still only getting 0.45 chains Sad

I am not sure what you are on about, your chart indicates that over roughly the last 7 days difficulty has risen by ~0.03 difficulty. This agrees with what I have been seeing on my miners this last week with getmininginfo.

If you zoom in more you can see the blip he is talking about.

Activity: 321

The last block reward I got was 10.47. With the current difficulty of 9.76620036 (block 123751) one should get 10.47 XPM reward. But maybe I'm on a wrong chain - with all my miners... Wink
Btw blockhash for "my" block 123751 is 103c5b2d0c5b3fd3531b662d17460e4b5832f56af74003b981c24be1d86d56b8
Is that the same for anyone else?
Activity: 182

Yes, I am noticing earning shares coming in less than what it was 24 hours ago.

It was 10.50/XPM per block, and now its much less than that.

Activity: 182

Errr. I guess more people mining  Grin
Activity: 294

Yes, I am noticing earning shares coming in less than what it was 24 hours ago.

It was 10.50/XPM per block, and now its much less than that.
Pages:
Jump to: