Pages:
Author

Topic: [XPM] [ANN] Primecoin High Performance | HP14 released! - page 56. (Read 397616 times)

Activity: 246
Merit: 250
My spoon is too big!
I'm still having a hard time figuring out the best way to optimize / balance sievesize, sievepercentage, and roundsievepercentage. Any pointers / recommendations from anyone?
Activity: 476
This looks normal for hp9 Dsfyu.

This is what I get on my 3770k @ 4400 :

{
"blocks" : 95203,
"chainspermin" : 15,
"chainsperday" : 1.35325702,
"currentblocksize" : 1672,
"currentblocktx" : 1,
"difficulty" : 9.21680802,
"errors" : "",
"generate" : true,
"genproclimit" : -1,
"roundsievepercentage" : 70,
"primespersec" : 2625,
"pooledtx" : 1,
"sievepercentage" : 10,
"sievesize" : 1000000,
"testnet" : false
}

2nd hp9 block solved
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Thanks for the update! I have the miner set up and am currently getting the following with hp9 on my 3930k:

09:06:41

{
"blocks" : 95165,
"chainspermin" : 12,
"chainsperday" : 1.41151548,
"currentblocksize" : 1000,
"currentblocktx" : 0,
"difficulty" : 9.21685755,
"primespersec" : 2875,
"pooledtx" : 0,
}

Does this look normal? I honestly don't know what kind of rates to expect after updates.

First block solved with hp9 !

all my miners have been upgraded.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about haveged mikaelh.
Activity: 301
As a side question mikaelh , do you think there is any interest on installing haveged for mining purpose ?

Probably not.
Thanks a lot once again for your excellent work mikaelh !

Could you please update your post (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xpm-primecoin-high-performance-linux-compilation-guide-259022) with the sources for hp9 ?

Done.

Thanks, have a dozen vps running and will give later on an update on blocks mined per day with hp9 vs hp8 (default settings for both) !

EDIT :

As a side question mikaelh , do you think there is any interest on installing haveged for mining purpose ?

Could you please update your post (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xpm-primecoin-high-performance-linux-compilation-guide-259022) with the sources for hp9 ?

Done.

I confirm that hp9 reduces pps about 50% down compared to hp8 but as mikaelh explained several time pps is not a reliable mining value.
what about 40 or 50? Smiley

Well, 50 would be some sort of a trade-off between the old setting and the new setting. You will probably get more primes/sec and your chains/day won't plummet. Ultimately choosing the settings is up to you.
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
what about 40 or 50? Smiley
"primespersec" 12-15 times down?

G1610 - 1500 on hp8/ 116 on hp9?

Any comments?

Yes, primes/sec is likely to go down with HP9. Sunny's optimizations and my new default settings actually reduce it. But as I have written before, primes/sec does not correlate with your mining performance. If you still want more primes/sec, you can add 'roundsievepercentage=30' to your config file.
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
"primespersec" 12-15 times down?

G1610 - 1500 on hp8/ 116 on hp9?

Any comments?

{
"blocks" : 94903,
"chainspermin" : 0,
"chainsperday" : 0.05914120,
"currentblocksize" : 1000,
"currentblocktx" : 0,
"difficulty" : 9.21033770,
"primespersec" : 116,
"pooledtx" : 0,
}

Version 0.1.2-hp9 is finally out! (Download links are on the first page as usual.)

Here's the list of notable changes:
 * Sunny's mining optimizations from 0.1.2.
 * Minor mining optimizations from mtrlt and gatra.
 * Small sieve optimizations for 32-bit processors.
 * Sunny's new chains/day estimate.
 * Sunny's new 'listprimerecords' RPC command.
 * New default value for roundsievepercentage is 70 on mainnet (better chains/day, equal 5-chains/h).

This release should hopefully provide big performance improvements on mainnet. I don't have the resources to confirm the block rate on mainnet but I have done extensive testing on testnet. The new chains/day estimate is not very accurate currently. Therefore it should not be used to estimate mining profitability etc. but it should be useful for finding better mining settings. Currently the estimate is about 20% bigger than the observed chain rate on testnet. The difference may be even greater on mainnet.

I wrote a couple of posts about chains/day earlier:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2847844
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2848092
Activity: 359
It's much better to trade than mining now. Both VPS and rig owners barely break even if they're lucky enough.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
Yes obviously you can no longer break even with VPS, it was only the case when the difficulty was not catching up. But it's actually a good thing for individual miners that are pooling and who now get the full pie, although only tiny slices.
Activity: 520
Merit: 253
Sounds like somebody needs to make a swapfile.

This reminds me of building bitcoind on ARM machines with 128 MB of RAM. These days primecoind compiles and runs fine on a 256 MB Buffalo Linkstation. Of course, ccache and distcc help a lot.

OT: It's nice that cryptocurrencies make people learn unix, but I wonder if there should be separate threads/FAQs about these. After all, the same issues seem to come up every time a new coin is released...
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Send a message to gigawatt. He's got some cool settings to optimize EC2 instances.

You say that, but it's more of a setup script.  It's in my signature if anybody is interested.
I'll probably post an update in a bit.
Activity: 109
Merit: 16
You build once and clone 499 times. Pretty simple actually.

Then you put a script on each server that makes it mine automatically.

I didn't get the 35K right away, I just took some of the money I was making while mining. I starting mining with 500 Amazon EC2 instances when diff was about 8, and then took the winnings to double down on dedicated servers with opteron processors (that perform about 20x better).

So Amazon practically financed my server farm.

I use EC2 for my TRC pool, and other Amazon goodies like SQS/SMS etc. Wish I'd known about Primecoin a bit sooner. Smiley I tried running some CC2 instances last night mining primecoin (about 8500 pps each) but even with 20 going, only found one block in a couple hours. Don't think I can break even with that, even with the spot price so low. I'd need a couple blocks per hour.

Still, Amazon is pretty amazing and I did finally learn about the @reboot date trick with crontab to make rolling out the auto-starting servers easier.

Edit: And actually, after this experiment, I rolled out some virtual Windows Server 2012 machines to run the ypool miner (about 20 val/h using latest client they provide) but that's way below break even, sadly.

Send a message to gigawatt. He's got some cool settings to optimize EC2 instances.
Activity: 434

I didn't get the 35K right away, I just took some of the money I was making while mining. I starting mining with 500 Amazon EC2 instances when diff was about 8, and then took the winnings to double down on dedicated servers with opteron processors (that perform about 20x better).

I use EC2 for my TRC pool, and other Amazon goodies like SQS/SMS etc. Wish I'd known about Primecoin a bit sooner. Smiley I tried running some CC2 instances last night mining primecoin (about 8500 pps each) but even with 20 going, only found one block in a couple hours. Don't think I can break even with that, even with the spot price so low. I'd need a couple blocks per hour.

Still, Amazon is pretty amazing and I did finally learn about the @reboot date trick with crontab to make rolling out the auto-starting servers easier.

Edit: And actually, after this experiment, I rolled out some virtual Windows Server 2012 machines to run the ypool miner (about 20 val/h using latest client they provide) but that's way below break even, sadly.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.

I see..thanks!  So you're the reason XPM fell to .60 from 1.50 Wink
He definently is  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: